over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Does Anyone Do Sprints For Cardio?

L

littlemack

Just wondering how many people do sprints for cardio? The only cardio I do is elliptical or treadmill every once in a while(and some surfing of course), but I've been thinking about maybe going to the track and doing 100m-400m sprints. I'm a little worried about losing upper leg size(which is a trouble area for me). Does it matter when you do this type of work? Only on leg days maybe? Hutch are you reading this?
Thanks!

I like doing them but not for that distance. Maybe its because I got moved to dline my last year. But I do a 400m wu jog then some dynamic flexability drills approx 15 min. Then 8-12 60-80yrd build ups to about 80-90%max speed. With training heavy and training whole body 2x per week I cant recover enough to run 100% speed something will pop, like a hammy.

I prefer this because it gets the heart rate up high and only last 40 min with wu and cooldown and streatching.

I do them. I do 40's, 100, and 200's. I don't think it will affect your size unless you overwork the muscle groups. Sprints are anaerobic.

I'll quit lifting forever the day I can't sprint a 100m without my tendons bursting at the seams but that's just me.

Also, the connective tissue you strengthen with your sprints could actually help prevent you from getting injured in the gym.

But very important. Don't overtrain by adding the sprints because you'll need rest for them too. Treat them like you would any other leg day.

(the below takes about 20 minutes at the college track)

3 x 40m (2-3minute light jogging or fast walking interval in between)
2 x 100 (same as above)
1 x 200 -or-
2 x 100 again as above

Stretch and go home and eat. If you train the following day, don't waste your time doing legs - wait 4-5 days.

added bonus: interval training helps your body to release more natural GH

littlemack said:
Thanks dookiebrown. :D
And welcome to the board!

Im a fairly new registered member to this board but mostly due to websense blocking my other boards. But hey this has turned out to be a good thing.

dukebrown said:
Im a fairly new registered member to this board but mostly due to websense blocking my other boards. But hey this has turned out to be a good thing.

Lots of great peeps on this board!

Nice routine Ouch, I'd like to alternate sprints for legs with weights, as opposed to just weights. I use to do it, but don't have a good place to sprint for some time now.

Of course I've been accused of preferring the underdeveloped leg look, so what do I know. :)

That is a great routine OTH! Thank you. Running is a little different now that I'm 200+lbs as opposed to 135lbs. hahaha I used to be a real pretty runner with a long stride, but now my whole face jiggles when I run. ahahahahaha
I'm sort of looking to compliment my leg training and not really replace it. Hmh...I might play around with OTH routine and start with half the workout he recommends and see how sore I am.

dukebrown said:
I like doing them but not for that distance. Maybe its because I got moved to dline my last year. But I do a 400m wu jog then some dynamic flexability drills approx 15 min. Then 8-12 60-80yrd build ups to about 80-90%max speed. With training heavy and training whole body 2x per week I cant recover enough to run 100% speed something will pop, like a hammy.

I prefer this because it gets the heart rate up high and only last 40 min with wu and cooldown and streatching.

i play d-line also(DT) since i started football and runnin with sleds my cardio has gone up a lot and i actually put more size on my legs and my squat went up even though i lost some weight. im all for sprints over long distance running. also any kind of agility drills with cones or a ladder are awesome for cardio, endurance, and just being able to move explosively. plus things like this keep you from getting bored all the time. just my opinion.

Ironfreak, did you ever do the bungee resitance and assited runs? What about rail runs?(a push sled when down on all 4s) <<those damn things were brutal on me.
I believe that doing these types of drills and sprints will make you overall more explosive. Something that really lacks in BBing.
Remember that Lavrone sprint when he raced that olympic sprinter? That was really cool to see a big man move thatfast.

I've sprinted in the past. Never had a problem with loosing muscle mass. You have to be careful though, stress wise/recovery wise, it's almost like adding another leg day to your routine. THis is especially true if your not juicing at the time....

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Iron Mountain 75
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws