advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Does raising your HDL actually benefit you?

Atherosclerosis has to do with inflammation, the reason statins even really help is because they are mildly anti-inflammatory.

I thought this was a great article about the cholesterol issue **broken link removed**

cholesterol and its correlation to hdl/ldl===>CAD seems to be a mystery, this reinforces that. great thread, will be sticking around for this one

Personally I think everyone if forgetting the fact that high density lipoprotein is able to carry plaque from the arterial wall to the liver for metabolism. You can look at all the studies you want, but you won't change this fact.

Personally I think everyone if forgetting the fact that high density lipoprotein is able to carry plaque from the arterial wall to the liver for metabolism. You can look at all the studies you want, but you won't change this fact.

Yes, but not all HDL is created equal. High HDL does not necessarily predict high function and low HDL does not necessarily correlate to a person's ability to remove cholesterol. A measure of HDL efficiency would be more reliable but of course we don't know how to do that yet. Rest assured though a lot of people much smarter than us are attempting to solve this issue.

Rex.

Atherosclerosis has to do with inflammation, the reason statins even really help is because they are mildly anti-inflammatory.

I thought this was a great article about the cholesterol issue **broken link removed**

Great read!

Yes, but not all HDL is created equal. High HDL does not necessarily predict high function and low HDL does not necessarily correlate to a person's ability to remove cholesterol. A measure of HDL efficiency would be more reliable but of course we don't know how to do that yet. Rest assured though a lot of people much smarter than us are attempting to solve this issue.

Rex.

So you would just focus on LDL and make sure that doesn't get too high, rather than worry about bringing hdl up?

So you would just focus on LDL and make sure that doesn't get too high, rather than worry about bringing hdl up?

Not all LDL cholesterol is created equal. Only small, dense LDL particles are associated with heart disease, whereas large, buoyant LDL are either benign or may protect against heart disease...

Here’s where the story gets even more interesting. And tragic.

Researchers working in this area have defined what they call Pattern A and Pattern B. Pattern A is when small, dense LDL is low, large, buoyant LDL is high, and HDL is high. Pattern B is when small, dense LDL is high, HDL is low, and triglycerides are high. Pattern B is strongly associated with increased risk of heart disease, whereas Pattern A is not.

It is not saturated fat or cholesterol that increases the amount of small, dense LDL we have in our blood. It’s carbohydrate.

The most important thing you probably don?t know about cholesterol

Last edited:

There are no recommendations for changes in practice. HDL remains a reliable predictor in an initial CV risk assessment for reasons stated earlier. Now it is understood however that HDL loses its predictive power for CAD in certain populations. Namely those who have been treated with statins and those with low LDL. Androgen users may be another population in which HDL loses its predictive power. Both because they generally fall into the low LDL group and due to upregulation of reverse cholesterol transport. This is pure speculation of course. As we have seen with nandrolone, AAS may have direct negative effects on endothelial function independent of HDL reduction. The primary focus of treatment strategies has always been and continues to be LDL reduction. However as the previous poster has pointed out there are problems with this approach as well due to differences in LDL.

Speaking of carbs and LDL type. I saw a study today in adults with impaired glucose tolerance. Not diabetes. Basically these people have fasting BG levels of 100-125. Much like many of the GH users on here though they may not know it Metformin intervention reduced levels of small and dense LDL thus reducing CV risk. Every healthcare practitioner I know on GH, and I know quite a few, also uses metformin. I use 1 gm per day of an ER formulation. Small and dense LDL, insulin resistance and abdominal obesity are part of cascade that results in a very high incidence of CAD.

Rex.

Not all LDL cholesterol is created equal. Only small, dense LDL particles are associated with heart disease, whereas large, buoyant LDL are either benign or may protect against heart disease...

Here’s where the story gets even more interesting. And tragic.

Researchers working in this area have defined what they call Pattern A and Pattern B. Pattern A is when small, dense LDL is low, large, buoyant LDL is high, and HDL is high. Pattern B is when small, dense LDL is high, HDL is low, and triglycerides are high. Pattern B is strongly associated with increased risk of heart disease, whereas Pattern A is not.

It is not saturated fat or cholesterol that increases the amount of small, dense LDL we have in our blood. It’s carbohydrate.

The most important thing you probably don?t know about cholesterol
thanks a lot! so say you have high ldl, low hdl, but triglycerides are in range...any issues here?
There are no recommendations for changes in practice. HDL remains a reliable predictor in an initial CV risk assessment for reasons stated earlier. Now it is understood however that HDL loses its predictive power for CAD in certain populations. Namely those who have been treated with statins and those with low LDL. Androgen users may be another population in which HDL loses its predictive power. Both because they generally fall into the low LDL group and due to upregulation of reverse cholesterol transport. This is pure speculation of course. As we have seen with nandrolone, AAS may have direct negative effects on endothelial function independent of HDL reduction. The primary focus of treatment strategies has always been and continues to be LDL reduction. However as the previous poster has pointed out there are problems with this approach as well due to differences in LDL.

Speaking of carbs and LDL type. I saw a study today in adults with impaired glucose tolerance. Not diabetes. Basically these people have fasting BG levels of 100-125. Much like many of the GH users on here though they may not know it Metformin intervention reduced levels of small and dense LDL thus reducing CV risk. Every healthcare practitioner I know on GH, and I know quite a few, also uses metformin. I use 1 gm per day of an ER formulation. Small and dense LDL, insulin resistance and abdominal obesity are part of cascade that results in a very high incidence of CAD.

Rex.
thanks rex. now this is an educated guess, but im pretty certain i have genetically lower hdl. i remember having the nurse tell me several years back my numbers were lower than normal(dont have exact values). this was before using any "supps". so for me low hdl has been common on my past few sets of labs, most notably a reading of 4 while on superdrol a few months back:banghead:

do you think i really need to err on the side of caution here? last set of labs my hdl was 4, ldl was 149 and tri's were 104. so tri's in range, but hdl/ldl way outta whack. again this was on superdrol so....

Nothing to add, but I want to say that this is a great discussion. We need more of this around here.

Bump!

BTW, in order to know your type or pattern of LDL particles, you have to get either an NMR Lipoprofile test or a VAP test. These are advanced cholesterol tests. I have had each done & they are each @ $70. The VAP test also gives you your Lp(a) [Lipoprotein A] reading elevated Lp(a) levels are correlated to increased risk of CHD.

Thought you guys might like this...Dr Serrano is also stating some of what Rex and Kal are saying...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaSOM7yjFaw]2 Minutes with Dr. Serrano - Heart Disease - YouTube[/ame]

Rex.

Good info!! Metformin also has many anti-cancer properties and has become popular with the anti-aging crowd.

BTW, in order to know your type or pattern of LDL particles, you have to get either an NMR Lipoprofile test or a VAP test. These are advanced cholesterol tests. I have had each done & they are each @ $70. The VAP test also gives you your Lp(a) [Lipoprotein A] reading elevated Lp(a) levels are correlated to increased risk of CHD.

hey pressing could you respond to my above post when you get a minute? much appreciated brotha. trying to learn as much as i can about CAD/CHD and how i can stay as healthy as possible while using super supps

Thought you guys might like this...Dr Serrano is also stating some of what Rex and Kal are saying...

2 Minutes with Dr. Serrano - Heart Disease - YouTube

I am immensely intrigued with info he divulges...it's always so pertinent. Insulin levels would mean a fasting blood glucose test right? I really hope you get him for a good hour on your radio show...just remind him to slow down as occasionally he gets hard to understand.

hey pressing could you respond to my above post when you get a minute? much appreciated brotha. trying to learn as much as i can about CAD/CHD and how i can stay as healthy as possible while using super supps

I have devoted quite a bit of my time delving into this topic of cholestetol, CHD & CVD because it is still the #1 killer in America.

Interestingly, some people who have "high cholesterol" have little to no arterial plaque buildup and dome people with "normal cholesterol" levels have lots if it.

I think the only clear way to assess one's risk is to get a calcium score test which measures your plaque buildup in you arteries.

If you are concerned about low HDL, then I would try improving that number through diet & cardio.

Feel free to ask any other questions, I would be happy to help however I can.

Last edited:
I saw my doctor a couple weeks ago and I had my lab work with me from another doctor. He knows about my gear use, and I was kind of bragging about my lipids as they were good and I'm blasting.

He tells me, "Your lipid values don't mean shit!" He said all the cholesterol hype is just bullshit to get you to buy more drugs, and it doesn't really determine your likelihood of good or bad health. He said what is important is monitoring your blood pressure and keeping your kidneys healthy. The ratio of HDL to LDL is actually more important than the actual numbers anyway.

I am not a doctor, this is just what my doctor told me. I just think sometimes we blow some of the health risks out of proportion.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws