over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Experience with Broken Ribs

cage99

Verified Customer
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
Took a nasty spill the other day and now broke nearly all my ribs on my right side. I believe it was 10…. First timer here with broken ribs. Dislocated & broke some fingers. All I can say is fucked up ribs SUCKS!!

I’m taking testosterone but I’ll drop my dose down to 200mg/wk. Plus GH 3-4iu’s now. Years ago they used to wrap you for broken ribs but it restricted breathing too much. And it’s already hard to breathe with damn near half your ribs broken.

Anyone have tips or tricks for easing pain? I’ve been using @herbchemist gummies… F’n LIFESAVER! Anything else to do to help old Cage out.

I’m gonna try to go back to work on Monday. Gotta over see several contractors. The boat ride out and back will totally suck, but I’m the last man partially standing. First time in my life I’ve ever had a broken bone.. I’m mid 40’s btw. Thanks fellas!!

You know they only thing they gave me is Ibuprofen & f’n Tylenol!!!!!!!! Man that’s soooo fucked up in my book.. Shoot me up the narcos!!!!! At least knock the edge off! Christ

Cage

It does get better. And they heal back perfectly by some magic I'll never understand. Sorry to hear. At least you can say, "It only hurts when I breathe," and mean it literally. Narcotics cause depressed respiration. They probably don't want that.

I had a shattered left rib cage when I was a kid. A shard punctured my left lung so I had a pneumothorax as a bonus. Spent 3 days in a coma. Weeks later, a physical therapist would come in and pat my side to loosen up blood and fluid. I couldn't even talk because I was intubated (trachea) along with a drainage tube in that lung. 3 months and I was back to perfectly normal. Thank goodness I was young. I would not survive that today.

I had a broken ribs : you need two things , time and rest. Sorry but this is how it is.

Nothing I can add that hasn’t been said man but I’m sorry :/. That’s a shit hand of cards to get dealt.

I’ve broken ribs several times in football and martial arts.

Time, rest, THC, and any special supps you think may help.

I’d avoid icing it as much as you can, you want blood flow and ice per that.

But seriously. Do not take OxyContin. Shit will ruin your life
I totally agree with this, however, there are some mid-range pain killer products that could help you make it through the day, help you get to sleep, etc. If your doc won't prescribe them, thank him/her for their time and find another doctor. When you get there, just be straight up and tell them while you've got no intention of becomming an addict, you've got a physical job and you need something for the pain. I'm sure THC gummys could help but you don't want to be stoned on the job all day.

Just find a new doc and if they don't help find another and another until you get some help.

Ouwie and Ouwie,
I only fractured 2 ribs L side 2.5 yrs ago and the first few days suffered significantly.

I did use a 5mg Oxy tab cut in half 2x day to ease the discomfort.

If you absolutely have to take that boat ride I suggest your bring a medium sized pillow.

I had to travel right after breaking mine and hugging a pillow REALLY helped.

You may get a few stares but do it.

I totally agree with this, however, there are some mid-range pain killer products that could help you make it through the day, help you get to sleep, etc. If your doc won't prescribe them, thank him/her for their time and find another doctor. When you get there, just be straight up and tell them while you've got no intention of becomming an addict, you've got a physical job and you need something for the pain. I'm sure THC gummys could help but you don't want to be stoned on the job all day.

Just find a new doc and if they don't help find another and another until you get some help.

I work at a methadone clinic

Oxy is how a lot of the people ended up here

Tragic, but predictable

Took a nasty spill the other day and now broke nearly all my ribs on my right side. I believe it was 10…. First timer here with broken ribs. Dislocated & broke some fingers. All I can say is fucked up ribs SUCKS!!

I’m taking testosterone but I’ll drop my dose down to 200mg/wk. Plus GH 3-4iu’s now. Years ago they used to wrap you for broken ribs but it restricted breathing too much. And it’s already hard to breathe with damn near half your ribs broken.

Anyone have tips or tricks for easing pain? I’ve been using @herbchemist gummies… F’n LIFESAVER! Anything else to do to help old Cage out.

I’m gonna try to go back to work on Monday. Gotta over see several contractors. The boat ride out and back will totally suck, but I’m the last man partially standing. First time in my life I’ve ever had a broken bone.. I’m mid 40’s btw. Thanks fellas!!

You know they only thing they gave me is Ibuprofen & f’n Tylenol!!!!!!!! Man that’s soooo fucked up in my book.. Shoot me up the narcos!!!!! At least knock the edge off! Christ

Cage

Wow, that doesn't sound like fun at all. I hope you can find some relief soon. There's a product called Pain-Less glycerite (madefromroots site) that supposedly works great for all kinds of pain.

What herbchemist gummies are you using for pain?

Ouwie and Ouwie,
I only fractured 2 ribs L side 2.5 yrs ago and the first few days suffered significantly.

I did use a 5mg Oxy tab cut in half 2x day to ease the discomfort.

If you absolutely have to take that boat ride I suggest your bring a medium sized pillow.

I had to travel right after breaking mine and hugging a pillow REALLY helped.

You may get a few stares but do it.
The pillow definitely helps. Or heaven forbid if you need to cough holding a pillow against your ribs helps too. Do you mind sharing any details on your spill? Those are some pretty gnarly injuries. If its an embarrassing accident you have my blessing to make up something really cool haha ugghhh i broke my ribs pulling the school bus full of children from the river.
You might also try lidocaine patches. And if you want a mellow narcotic i would be really surprised if a doc won't give you some tramadol. Very low abuse potential, generally isn't sedating so you could work fine. If your primary wont do it then maybe go to an urgent care and ask them. They may repeat films to make sure you aren't fibbing but damn, rib fractures are known to be VERY painful. Each rib has a nerve that runs under it, it's like they were designed to be excruciating when broken
Oh yeah, and if your primary doc won't give you tramadol for fucking rib fractures get a different doctor. The narcotic pendulum swung way too far over onto the abuse side so now its this insane effort to like not give any narcotics even for legit injuries. We've gone from percocet for stubbed toes/sprained ankles to withholding narcotics for fractures, craziness

Thanks for all the suggestions and experience fellas. That’s what I had gathered but thought I’d ask you folks!

The gummies from @herbchemist are the 100mg THC gummies. I’m not a everyday THC user due to drug testing alllll the f’n time. I wish I could use them frequently, but I gotta pay the bills!!!! I just quarter them. So 1/4 of a gummy takes the edge off big time!

As to the spill; I was offshore on a construction barge. I was getting off the barge onto our workboat. Typical oilfield joe boat. Unfortunately the barge was oil/greasey. Add to that early morning condensation. It’s 80° here in the morning with 95% humidity. Fog and dew are common place out here.

The barge surface I was jumpin off of was 8.5’ to the my boat’s deck below. I stopped for a minute after looking down and said to myself I should get a ladder and have one of the labor hands secure it up. That way you can just climb down onto the boat.

But a tanker barge was pulling in and fighting waves and a strong current. Sooooo I sat down on the barge and pushed off the side of the barge w/ my slippery work boots.

I slipped pushing off, and my boat was abt 2’ from touching the barge. A wind gust just so happened to blow right as I was pushing off to jump. Well it moved my boat out. So now I’m at an angle coming down and onto the side rails of the boat. So my 248lb ass fell 8’ directly onto the side rails of an aluminum boat.

Into the water I went.. I couldn’t breathe from the wind being knocked out of me as well as all my broken ribs. I pulled myself down the side of our boat (30’ long). Then some of the crew that saw me swan dive not so graciously came to help pull me out of the water and onto my boat. That trip back over the crashing waves SUCK BALLS!!!!!

I had the foreman bring me to my truck at my plant. Told him go back offshore and supervise the crew so I don't prevent them from losing a day. I absolutely hate inconveniencing anyone….Then I drove myself to the ER… LOOOOONG DRIVE in a 3/4 ton Ford truck feeling every damn bump!!!

On top of that I couldn’t find a parking spot at the ER so I had to park abt 5 blocks away. So a good 1000 yards to the doors. Took me forever to make it there. Kept stopping, hunched over, trying to breathe through the pain. Several people outside watching me, medical workers too. No one asked me if I could use some help… F’n NOLA is a bitch!! Lol. Man, I did need a hand!!!!

I stumbled in and set off the metal detectors triggering the police to come at me. They could see I’m fucked up thankfully and helped me get to the front desk… In the ER from 8am to 3pm. Long damn shitty stay!

It’s a hard lesson to learn!!!!! I should’ve slowed down and used a god damn ladder!!!!!!!!!! I’m so irritated at myself. I was so god damn pissed at myself on the boat ride in. Coulda, woulda, shoulda…

Cage

I’m so irritated at myself. I was so god damn pissed at myself on the boat ride in. Coulda, woulda, shoulda…
Fuck brother sorry to hear this. However, I can't tell you how many times I've had this exact conversation with myself internally. Hindsight is a motherfucker.

A recliner will help with rest/sleep. 10 ribs...isn't that a flail chest? They used to tape the chest but don't do that anymore because it restricts lung expansion. Tomgrass pretty much summed it up, time & rest. Tramadol can help. So would Cyclobenzaprine. I'd stay away from opioids, too many negatives IMO. Just don't get a cold (sneezing) and avoid comedies (laughing) if possible.lol

That's painfully difficult reading, probably hurts just typing that.
Chin up and heal.
What ever you do DON'T sneeze.!!!
Doing so will remind you that your alive.

Damn man, that could have been fatal. Liver or splenic laceration, even aortic dissection can occur from falls of that height. I cant even imagine what you were experiencing in the water, holy shit. Thank God for adrenaline.
Or shit, you could have drown.

bro it aint that bad ive broke 6 in total from two or fights spread out, count your blessings , there are plenty of things that hurt way worse like getting bit or stabbed or hit with a bat or pipe

I watched my mom get bucked off a horse buzzing it FLAT in the air like a MUMMY. She fell directly on her back and broke 4 ribs. She had the wind knocked out of her, took a few minutes like a G, and got up and didnt even go to doctor until next day. She hardly complained or said a word about it in between. I never went to doctor for any of mine, they heal on their own, mine always shifted back into place, the worst one was getting kneed in the ribs i broke 3 at once.

Considering I couldn’t get a breath into my lungs and my waist to my armpit is black/blue/red. Plus the discoloration wrapping around towards the front & back.

Initially it was believed I ruptured my spleen & punctured my right lung. They also were worried abt possible lacerated kidney.

Just glad it wasn’t worse. Cause I don’t feel like having to go through all the bullshit that follows.

I can say this when I wake up and no longer have any gummies in me or ibuprofen. Bruh, early morning’s suck ass!!!!! I gotta decent pain tolerance and this sucks right up with shoulder reconstruction surgery!

Again thank god for the gummies!!!!

Cage

Damn man, that could have been fatal. Liver or splenic laceration, even aortic dissection can occur from falls of that height. I cant even imagine what you were experiencing in the water, holy shit. Thank God for adrenaline.
Or shit, you could have drown.
The adrenaline died out by my drive to the ER. I’m right hand dominant, and my middle finger is laid over on top of my hand. So it snapped completely backwards. My ring finger was taking a hard 90° turn going underneath my pinky. Adrenaline is a wonderful thing!

I didn’t feel my fingers at all. Just felt strange seeing they’re just hanging. Now when the doc grabbed and yanked it out. I felt that!!!

However,, all those broken ribs overshadowed everything!

Cage

I’ve become such a house cat when it comes to taking risks in life

Guess it’s not that unreasonable

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311