over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Fasted AM glucose and insulin sensitivity

qbkilla

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I saw on another thread where some guys said they take their fasting AM glucose when bulking. I've seen this mentioned on other boards too. Im assuming over time, as you bulk, it starts to rise and this indicates your insulin sensitivity is getting worse and your ratio of muscle to fat gain is going to start to get worse. Is this correct?

What kind of numbers do you guys get, and when do you determine you need to change something? Do you then go on a short diet, or carb cycle? Eating 4500 calories per day, its kind of hard to carb cycle because in order to drop carbs you would need 200plus g of fat to keep your calories, or 500g protein.

Just wondering what other people do. I started taking my fasting glucose the past 3 days in the morning upon waking and got 103, 93, and 92.

Are you doing any cardio on a regular basis?

Eating 4500 calories per day, its kind of hard to carb cycle because in order to drop carbs you would need 200plus g of fat to keep your calories, or 500g protein

Part of the idea behind carb cycling is to not have a static caloric intake every day.

Are you doing any cardio on a regular basis?

Currently bulking I do 3x35 minute sessions of elliptical, hr about 120. Then 2x10 minute hiit sessions per week.

Part of the idea behind carb cycling is to not have a static caloric intake every day.

Correct. When dieting I usually do low and high days with bulking though I wanted to keep it simple. To keep an average of 4500, if I were to do every other day low say 3000, then my high days would be 6000. I could do it but would need some junk food to get in 6k.

My humble approach:
I try to do low carb high fat same protein on non-training days. (As you state, is "hard" but not impossible. Just abuse of oil, butter, meats and cheese).
Intermitent fasting also will help to manage glucose.
If glucose levels are high, mini-cut 2-3 weeks and check.

I saw on another thread where some guys said they take their fasting AM glucose when bulking. I've seen this mentioned on other boards too. Im assuming over time, as you bulk, it starts to rise and this indicates your insulin sensitivity is getting worse and your ratio of muscle to fat gain is going to start to get worse. Is this correct?

What kind of numbers do you guys get, and when do you determine you need to change something? Do you then go on a short diet, or carb cycle? Eating 4500 calories per day, its kind of hard to carb cycle because in order to drop carbs you would need 200plus g of fat to keep your calories, or 500g protein.

Just wondering what other people do. I started taking my fasting glucose the past 3 days in the morning upon waking and got 103, 93, and 92.
100-125 is considered prediabetic!

My fasted blood glucose this morning was 72. I only check it every couple weeks on the day before my 24hr fast.
I've been on 2iu HGH fasted in the morning and 2iu HGH fasted before bed since mid September and my numbers have not moved any at all BUT I do take 500mg Metformin with breakfast and dinner.
I've been try to grow since my surgery in October but only able to eat like a bodybuilder sice about mid December.
I've been shooting for 450g protein ,150g fat and 250g carbs per day with my carbs coming in right before , during and after training with zero carbs on my rest days and a 24hr fast from 7pm Friday to 7pm Saturday.
I think the combination between lower carbs and the metformin is what keeps my fasted blood glucose low even with the 4iu HGH a day.
I personally think people eat way more carbs than needed when they could be eating more protein

100-125 is considered prediabetic!
What is yours Bboy? You're like my hero with diet....and training...and physique (lol). Curious what yours is with your approach to diet. I'm a carb addict so I have a long way to go to you lol

Today mine was 92 but I slept 7 hours and had a bunch of carbs/protein/fat right before bed so I dunno if that affected my number. I think I may have to try to work on dropping some carbs from my diet. I shoot for 3,000 calories a day and get probably 300-400g carbs so its too much probably :(

My morning fasted BG is never prefect- usually around 100-112. But- consistently when I check it 2:30-2:40 after meals I'm anywhere from 65-85 so I'm ok with that.

I know factors such as cortisol release can affect morning BG but I'm not too concerned since it's in a good range after meals and also my morning fasted insulin and A1C looks good.

Does anybody recommend any good supps for decreasing fasted blood sugar levels?

I'm told beberine, cinnamon, and r-ALA are good as well as just simply decreasing carbohydrates. Also, intermittent fasting seems to work for a lot of people, but I struggle to get calories in during my 16 hours of awake time, so I hate to decrease my caloric window even further lol

Interesting subject at my last lab work my fasting blood sugar was 103 , I drank 64 ounces of water mixed with crytstal lite before the test to make sure I was hydrated I don't know if that effected it but I was in ketosis as well and ive heard that cortisol can raise fasting blood sugar as well .

There is something called "dawn phenomenon" in people with diabetes and my experience is that bodybuilders who have perfectly normal insulin resistance can all also experience. Basically it's when you have perfectly normal glucose levels but in the morning it still goes high for some reason. I often have high waking glucose (especially when dieting) even though my A1C is very low and my glucose is normal at other times. A1C is the way to go if you suspect this.

Does anybody recommend any good supps for decreasing fasted blood sugar levels?

I'm told beberine, cinnamon, and r-ALA are good as well as just simply decreasing carbohydrates. Also, intermittent fasting seems to work for a lot of people, but I struggle to get calories in during my 16 hours of awake time, so I hate to decrease my caloric window even further lol

Sounds like you just answered your question. All of those mentioned above are good. I use Metformin ED. I also take Chromium Poly (Much more bioavailable).....ALA is good and so is berberine, but don't take berb with metformin

There is something called "dawn phenomenon" in people with diabetes and my experience is that bodybuilders who have perfectly normal insulin resistance can all also experience. Basically it's when you have perfectly normal glucose levels but in the morning it still goes high for some reason. I often have high waking glucose (especially when dieting) even though my A1C is very low and my glucose is normal at other times. A1C is the way to go if you suspect this.
LOL bodybuilders are not likely experiencing "dawn effect" unless they are following a ketogenic diet, and fat adapted.

If your not clearing glucose after fasting all night there is likely some underlying issues.

Is the 'dawn phenomenon' more likely in somebody during a caloric surplus? Does it necessarily mean that person "has diabetes" or can you have that effect from just overfeeding yourself and packing a shitload of glycogen into your liver from your daily diet?

If somebody is regularly testing 85-95 in the AM could they have the "dawn phenomenon"?

I remember years ago when I weighed ~20lb less (muscle) my fasted glucose levels would be extremely low in the AM around 65-70, so something has changed for sure from years of caloric surplus, cutting, and a ton of carbohydrates....and I guess its not a good change :/

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
nohara5216
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131