over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Fasting?

RepZZ

Registered
Newbies
I keep seeing these 72-84 hour fasting. Dana White and his "doc" especially. I like the benefit of autophagy but feel it would break down a lot of muscle.

I keep seeing these 72-84 hour fasting. Dana White and his "doc" especially. I like the benefit of autophagy but feel it would break down a lot of muscle.
People focusing on autophagy usually arent trying to build massive amounts of muscle.
Long term fasting and building mounds of lean tissue dont mix. Choose one.

Can you add in some sort of shorter fasting that might benefit digestion? Yes of course.
But is keeping fasting in your routine going to help you be a massive BBer (if that's your goal), hell NO.

Generally fasting regularly isn't a good idea for athletes or bodybuilders.

However at the end of a bulking/push up phase where food has been very high you will have incurred significant inflammation in digestive system from food volumes - generally in the process of cutting you will reduce the inflammation but you can speed up the process with a few 24-48 hour fasts during the first few weeks.

I'll do if, works well with my work schedule, eat 2-3 large meals after work....but I'm not aiming for size. As for the long fasts I'm sure there are benefits but IMO they are over hyped.

I've done long fasts before, 5 days, 3 days etc. Also done some ADF, and Eat Stop Eat style 24s - you're gonna lose muscle for sure but people like them because if your diet isn't great you will feel better. The lack of food will reduce inflammation and all that but I don't think that's a good long term solution.

Long term I think it's better just to eat in a good, healthy way. So these days I don't bother fasting, aside from maybe having my first meal later.

People overestimate how quickly you lose muscle. It takes 3-4 weeks of not training to start losing actual muscle (which comes back with muscle memory).

1-2 day fast, especially with HGH is unlikely cause significant muscle loss, if any at all.

As @TheOtherOne55 said, guys who do this stuff and talk about it aren't focusing on bodybuilding.

I don't think 1-2 day fast will do much harm once in a while but it's also properly overrated. You could likely get the same or similar benefits from long term intermittent fasting.

Forgot to add: you might look flatter after 1-2 weeks of not training, but that's just sarcoplasm/glycogen/nitrogen not actual muscle cell loss. You will always look more pumped/rounder if you are going to the gym consistently training muscle groups.

People overestimate how quickly you lose muscle. It takes 3-4 weeks of not training to start losing actual muscle (which comes back with muscle memory).

Yeah, you're probably right.

I just think the body does need a certain amount of protein per day just to cover it's bases even if you're not training that day, without those aminos coming in it's gonna be tough to not go into a negative protein balance. It'll be minor sure, but it'll probably happen.

Growth and AAS will definitely help though, keep the blood full of glucose and FFAs for fuel.

Yeah, you're probably right.

I just think the body does need a certain amount of protein per day just to cover it's bases even if you're not training that day, without those aminos coming in it's gonna be tough to not go into a negative protein balance. It'll be minor sure, but it'll probably happen.

Growth and AAS will definitely help though, keep the blood full of glucose and FFAs for fuel.

For sure, most people don't realized that amino acids from dietary protein is essential for immune function, brain function, psychological mood (neurotransmitter production ; dopamine / serotonin ; tyrosine and trypyophan are the building blocks respectively), thyroid production (thyroid hormone is made of the mineral iodine combined with the amino acid tyrosine) and many many more processes in the body.

Reduced dietary protein will mean the body will tap into your muscle stores to get those amino acids instead. 1-2 days of fasting should not breakdown any significant amount of muscle mass though.

For sure, most people don't realized that amino acids from dietary protein is essential for immune function, brain function, psychological mood (neurotransmitter production ; dopamine / serotonin ; tyrosine and trypyophan are the building blocks respectively), thyroid production (thyroid hormone is made of the mineral iodine combined with the amino acid tyrosine) and many many more processes in the body.

Reduced dietary protein will mean the body will tap into your muscle stores to get those amino acids instead. 1-2 days of fasting should not breakdown any significant amount of muscle mass though.

Yeah, you're right.

I've not done any fasting on this prep run, but after this chat I think I might implement some starting next week. Over the years my preference has settled on 1 or 2 24hr fasts, East Stop Eat style. That seems to suit me the best.

You got any thoughts on training during a fast? Personally I don't change my work/gym schedule during a fast, I just carry on as normal.

Yeah, you're right.

I've not done any fasting on this prep run, but after this chat I think I might implement some starting next week. Over the years my preference has settled on 1 or 2 24hr fasts, East Stop Eat style. That seems to suit me the best.

You got any thoughts on training during a fast? Personally I don't change my work/gym schedule during a fast, I just carry on as normal.

I prefer training fasted in the morning with some BCAAs. Feel stronger / more focused . I just maintain though, no longer looking for PRs or more muscle. It works for me for staying strong and lean. I just skip breakfast, drink black coffee instead and eat around noon. Lets me have bigger higher calorie meals.

Some guys have great results with IF and training fasted, but if you're a hard gainer or someone who has issues getting enough calories in, it can be counter productive. Other guys get dizzy and feel weak, it takes an adjustment period for some and i think others possibly might not be genetically not suited for it.

I am way past building huge muscles. i do fast some but not for days. I found it did nothing for my fasting glucose rates which rose over the years. As for autophagy it may have benifits but till i see animal studies where they have consistently lived longer i will be interested but not put a lot of faith in it. I know my gut is happy with not putting something in it every 2-3 hours. The days i eat 3 meals it feels better then when i eat 4. Don't miss the decades of eating 6+ times a day.

The benefits of autophagy afaik aren’t any higher from fasting than from a standard calorie deficit.

I do a 24hr fast each weekend from Friday evening to my cheat meal Saturday evening. I do it strictly to give my digestion system a break
It definitely helps me

Forgot to add: you might look flatter after 1-2 weeks of not training, but that's just sarcoplasm/glycogen/nitrogen not actual muscle cell loss. You will always look more pumped/rounder if you are going to the gym consistently training muscle groups.
Your posts have been on fire of late. A joy to read.

Why not try it and see what it does for you? A lot the science based shit is worth nothing anyway.
Facts. Sometimes it's worth giving something a try just to see how you react.
I'll seek out advice or peruse the board/web on topics of interest. From there I'll apply accordingly and adjust if needed.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131