over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Fish Oil?

Dang! How do y'all take all that without burping every 5 minutes!?

i actually take 5g with breakfast and 5g with my post workout meal (i just take a sip of a drink, then a sip of the fish oil and then flush it down with lots of liquid. gives a gross taste for a couple seconds then its gone)
to be honest im burping WAY LESS with the liquid than with caps though !

if i do burp its just as disgusting, but its definitely less with liquid.

i actually take 5g with breakfast and 5g with my post workout meal (i just take a sip of a drink, then a sip of the fish oil and then flush it down with lots of liquid. gives a gross taste for a couple seconds then its gone)
to be honest im burping WAY LESS with the liquid than with caps though !

if i do burp its just as disgusting, but its definitely less with liquid.

I've got Carlson liquid.. still gives me the burps. Im thinkin im just gonna suck it up and embrace them nasty burps!

I'm interested in hearing more about the ideal dose. Based on this thread I know my current dose of 3 - 1,200mg caps is too low.

Why did your doc say to lower your dose? At double you'd be just about where Knight suggests. I understand you may just be following exactly what the doc says (which is obviously a good idea). Just wondering if he elaborated on why?

He stated that there really wasn't enough scientific proof on what amount is good and stated that I'm probably pissing most of it away. Back then I was taking anywhere between 8-10 gms a day of fish oil plus a little krill oil. Now since my stroke my new Dr. stated that what I'm taking now is good enough. :)

Last edited:
Nature made

3 softgels a day.

He stated that there really wasn't enough scientific proof on what amount is good and stated that I'm probably pissing most of it away. Back then I was taking anywhere between 8-10 gms a day of fish oil plus a little krill oil. Now since my stroke my new Dr. stated that what I'm taking now is good enough. :)

A 1200mg fish oil cap yielding 300mg total EPA and DHA is not anything to write home about. I can get 3g of EPA and DHA in 4 caps of Now Ultra Omega. The number on the front of the bottle whether 1000 or 1200 or 1400 means nothing. I have had SEVERAL doctors state that 3g of combined EPA and DHA is where you get the joint and other benefits that are often touted with fish oil.

A 1200mg fish oil cap yielding 300mg total EPA and DHA is not anything to write home about. I can get 3g of EPA and DHA in 4 caps of Now Ultra Omega. The number on the front of the bottle whether 1000 or 1200 or 1400 means nothing. I have had SEVERAL doctors state that 3g of combined EPA and DHA is where you get the joint and other benefits that are often touted with fish oil.

I understand and agree with what your saying but just letting you know what my 2 Dr's (neurologist and cardiologist) are recommending. My cardiologist cut my dose in half and my neurologist has agreed with it. My family Dr tried to prescribe my fish oil but my insurance denied it.

Last edited:
I was on Fish oil for a couple years while on TRT. I developed Acne real bad on my chest and back. I thought it was the TRT; however, I went off the TRT for 6 months and still had the Acne. I was 49 years old at the time. I went off the Fish oil and a month later the Acne when away.

I'm currently on OrthOmega fish oil (Ortho Molecular Products) from my doctor office. Its EPA=430mg, DHA=390mg, Omega 3=130mg per capsule. They are molecularly distilled with added triglyceride for higher absorption.

I have been able to reduce my fish oil consumption down to 2 capsules a day and have seen significant improvement on blood panels over normal store bought fish oil products when taking more than 8 caps a day.

im using TN's caps but have to seriously bump the dosage after reading this

What kind was it? This comes from super-dosing it.

Like Knight9 said 3g EPA/DHA is way more than enough giving that board members here are eating fatty-fish at least 2-3x a week.

I was on Fish oil for a couple years while on TRT. I developed Acne real bad on my chest and back. I thought it was the TRT; however, I went off the TRT for 6 months and still had the Acne. I was 49 years old at the time. I went off the Fish oil and a month later the Acne when away.

Y'all should look at OmegaPure 820...1g of EPA and 640 mg of DHA per serving (2 caps)

Y'all should look at OmegaPure 820...1g of EPA and 640 mg of DHA per serving (2 caps)

410/320 per cap? Ill stick to NOW 500/250.
I have a hunch EPA is more important even though DHA has been getting most of the attention since more is found in the brain. This could simply mean EPA is preferred and more rapidly allocated/utilized.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I have a hunch EPA is more important even though DHA has been getting most of the attention since more is found in the brain. This could simply mean EPA is preferred and more rapidly allocated/utilized.

Wouldn't it be 500/320?

Sorry, I know your much more knowledgeable than me...and I know they are called "820", but the Supp Facts calls for 2.8 g of Fish Oil Concentrate, 1 g EPA and 640 mg DHA.

However, both the EPA and DHA have an asterick by them stating: "Calculated on an area percentage basis."

Is that what I'm missing?

Ive read many articles, reports, etc stating that going over 3g would actually be more harmful, than beneficial. The brand i use, provides 1g of omega 3 per capsule, so im currently taking 2 capsules per day. I think some may be going a bit overboard with dosages, i guess i tend to stay on the lower (possibly safer) side when it comes to supplementation.

Ive read many articles, reports, etc stating that going over 3g would actually be more harmful, than beneficial. The brand i use, provides 1g of omega 3 per capsule, so im currently taking 2 capsules per day. I think some may be going a bit overboard with dosages, i guess i tend to stay on the lower (possibly safer) side when it comes to supplementation.

Yet you can't post even one? Since you said many...how about posting 3...or 5?
Matt Porter suggests up to 9g of EPA/DHA for joints and health. 3-4g of combined EPA/DHA has a lot of positive effects that come along with it.

Wouldn't it be 500/320?

Sorry, I know your much more knowledgeable than me...and I know they are called "820", but the Supp Facts calls for 2.8 g of Fish Oil Concentrate, 1 g EPA and 640 mg DHA.

However, both the EPA and DHA have an asterick by them stating: "Calculated on an area percentage basis."

Is that what I'm missing?

Yes...you're right. I was looking at the "820".
1g/640 per 2 would be 500/320 per cap. That is nice...and if its from a reputable company that sources their raw materials well...its likely a very good option.

They are finally doing decent studies on epa and the brain. Recent studies show 6grams EPA improves cognition. Another study shows it has an antidepressant quality. 10grams EPA has drastically reduced Bipolar symptoms. and removed the need for medication.

My daily goal its 6grm EPA and 3grams DHA

well since i was simply posting my personal findings when doing research on the subject (i have cardiovascular issues), i felt no need to post any! Im glad you gave me an example of 1 persons suggestions on the use of OFA's, and no disrespect to Mr. Porter, but one mans opinion is not enough, and shouldn't be enough to dictate what i will do with my health. I find it funny that the guy that is quick to tell other members to do their own research, is questioning my post, because i did not post up any studies/articles. Goes to show the weakness many on here demonstrate, that they accept advice from a guy that so often comes off with such an "air of superiority" attitude is amazing to me. I appreciate that you contribute to the board, but ease back on the "better than thou" act you have!!

well since i was simply posting my personal findings when doing research on the subject (i have cardiovascular issues), i felt no need to post any! Im glad you gave me an example of 1 persons suggestions on the use of OFA's, and no disrespect to Mr. Porter, but one mans opinion is not enough, and shouldn't be enough to dictate what i will do with my health. I find it funny that the guy that is quick to tell other members to do their own research, is questioning my post, because i did not post up any studies/articles. Goes to show the weakness many on here demonstrate, that they accept advice from a guy that so often comes off with such an "air of superiority" attitude is amazing to me. I appreciate that you contribute to the board, but ease back on the "better than thou" act you have!!

What about the opinion of Dr. Hector Lopez? Shelby and John had him on their radio show a few weeks back and he recommends upwards of 4-8 grams of epa/dha a day depending on the size of the individual

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity