advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Getting contest lean ??? Questions about food ???

chris250

Featured Member/ Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Ok guys here is a good thread to get a good debate on ...

How clean do you really need to eat to get into contest shape (im talking about glutes ripped, 4% or leaner bodyfat)...what im asking is do you guys believe that you have to eat super bland to get into contest shape...Example is Dave Pulcinella, says in RTB 1 that you can only eat 6 or 7 different foods (Chicken, tuna, egg whites, sweet potatoes, oatmeal, banana's) Is that what it takes to get into crazy contest shape (think Yates hard, or 93 flex wheeler) What do you guys think...Do you guys believe in no cheating or believe in cheat meals (like what magnum and Palumbo do) Or do you believe you need to eat super clean for 12-20 weeks ?

chris

I would say it depends on how much fat you have to lose & how much time you have to lose it.

i think dave pulcinella would be quick to point out that he says those 6 or 7 foods are what works best for him, and may not be the best foods for someone else.

Ok guys here is a good thread to get a good debate on ...

How clean do you really need to eat to get into contest shape (im talking about glutes ripped, 4% or leaner bodyfat)...what im asking is do you guys believe that you have to eat super bland to get into contest shape...Example is Dave Pulcinella, says in RTB 1 that you can only eat 6 or 7 different foods (Chicken, tuna, egg whites, sweet potatoes, oatmeal, banana's) Is that what it takes to get into crazy contest shape (think Yates hard, or 93 flex wheeler) What do you guys think...Do you guys believe in no cheating or believe in cheat meals (like what magnum and Palumbo do) Or do you believe you need to eat super clean for 12-20 weeks ?

chris

My 2 cents.
In order to get ripped glutes 99% of bodybuilders will ruin their shape and symetry and be no where as big and full as they should be in other words there overall presentation will suffer. That 1% that can obtain the ripped glutes and still have great shape and full muscles are the genetic elite. The rest of us would more look like we came from a concentration camp but we would have barely any glutes but they would be ripped.

As far as the foods that you mentioned I believe if those proteins carbs and fruits are what is best for your blood type then yes you could eat them within the proper macros and be not only your leanest but your best health as well. I firmly believe that those of the O blood types could eat red meat such as flank steak, top round, 96% ground beef all the way up until show time and be ripped. The exact same protocol for a "A" blood type would make them fatter. I think for certain blood types going anywhere near oatmeal or sweat potatoes is a huge mistake and in some cases will actually bloat the person.

Just my opinion

My 2 cents.
In order to get ripped glutes 99% of bodybuilders will ruin their shape and symetry and be no where as big and full as they should be in other words there overall presentation will suffer. That 1% that can obtain the ripped glutes and still have great shape and full muscles are the genetic elite. The rest of us would more look like we came from a concentration camp but we would have barely any glutes but they would be ripped.

As far as the foods that you mentioned I believe if those proteins carbs and fruits are what is best for your blood type then yes you could eat them within the proper macros and be not only your leanest but your best health as well. I firmly believe that those of the O blood types could eat red meat such as flank steak, top round, 96% ground beef all the way up until show time and be ripped. The exact same protocol for a "A" blood type would make them fatter. I think for certain blood types going anywhere near oatmeal or sweat potatoes is a huge mistake and in some cases will actually bloat the person.

Just my opinion
I've never heard that blood type determines how food affects you, am I dumb or is there gaurenteed truth to that?

After training someone for a show, it has really opened up my eyes to how people react to certain carbs.

My client gets EXTREMELY bloated off a little amount of oatmeal, but she does great with spinach leaf and brown rice.

I think sticking to your diet 100% is required for this but i believe planned cheat/refeed meals are also required not only for the physical impact on your physique and metabolism but also mentally. knowing you are allowed a cheat meal(this doesnt mean an all you can eat pizza buffet) gives you something to work towards and look forward to and will prevent you swaying from your diet i believe.

IFBB pro james llewelyn from the uk has cheat meals and his client upto 2 weeks prior to the show and if you look at the pics from when he turned pro last year he had crazy condition unreal.

Just my opinion

I've never heard that blood type determines how food affects you, am I dumb or is there gaurenteed truth to that?

No No, you are not dumb..............This is just my opinion from experience. I don't know if there has ever been any study done on this. Usually when I talk blood type stuff I preface it with "this is just my opinion and I have no scientific facts to back this up"

99% of the people on this board havent had striated glutes or been that lean (national/pro level conditioning). some havent even been in contest shape yet still put on the trunks.

ask shelby, alex, main.

Last edited:
do you guys believe that you have to eat super bland to get into contest shape...

In short, NO.

Or more precisely... not everyone has to. Your metabolism (ie GENETICS), where you start from bf wise and how intense you train will dictate how strict you have to be with your diet.

Just an anecdote to show how genetics are the only answer to your question, Chris:

I train in several gyms to avoid boredom, and recently I just joined a new one. During the hours I train, there's also a group of 4 black buddies who workout... same age (26-28), same office job (not physical at all), same lifestyle, SAME CRAPPY DIET (mainly fast food) cause they basically know NOTHING about nutrition. They started training together about 4 years ago and all of them were beginners at that point. They've kept training together (ie doing the same workouts) since then.

Let me tell you something... among the 4, three look ABSOLUTELY AVERAGE (well, worse to be honest lol :p)... but the last one would destroy most of the competitors at any regional show if he had to enter one in 4 or 5 weeks and did a "slight" effort diet wise (but he's really not interested into it). Dude eats shit ALL DAY LONG, even eating candies during each and every or his workouts... and that's before going to KFC for his PWO meal with his friends... :D

What I'm trying to say? They eat the same, train the same (very intense with heavy weights... it's very motivating to train with them btw), do basically everything the same way... and look the same (very common) except for one who's just amazing. Moral of the story:

when you're blessed with average genetics you have to diet and diet hard to get shredded, but when you're in that league some call "Elite", well... IT'S MUCH MUCH MUCH EASIER... and it doesn't take you much effort to look outstanding.

:)

My 2 cents.

Just my opinion

I think the question should be to yourself is what foods does my body efficiently burn & not store to maintain or gain muscle the EASIEST....
Which might have something to do with your blood, I don't know. It goes back to listening to your body with food, movements in the gym, rest & supplements.

Just so you guys know--Im not asking this question about me (I know what I need to do, just listen to Magnum and let him do my diet..LOL) But just to get a good debate going about contest dieting and getting super lean..I think alot of the younger guys on here want to think that if they took, this super drug or that super drug...That those things would do all the work..But I want them to know that its hard busting your ass, dieting and training..With the correct amount of cardio to get super lean...IMO -

Also my opinion is its very genetic related on how hard you need to diet..Now I believe some guys can screw off up to the last month then pull it all together and be in great shape...but then there are others who, have to diet super hard for 3 months to get into just decent shape

chris

I usually have a cheat meal once a week (depending of course) and i salt the hell out of my food.

Before when i use to eat super strict (no cheats, bland food) i was never able to attain that 'dry, grainy' look.

I usually have a cheat meal once a week (depending of course) and i salt the hell out of my food.

Before when i use to eat super strict (no cheats, bland food) i was never able to attain that 'dry, grainy' look.

someone used to call this "the outback steakhouse effect" :cool:

I implement cheat meals as needed.

I don't eat bland foods. I use a variety of calorie-free condiments and also drink a shit ton of calorie free beverages (diet Snapple, Crystal Light, diet soda, coffee, tea, etc.).

For close to 14 weeks, I have ate the same calories, macros and not had 1 cheat meal. That is what it takes for me to get real lean. My calories are not unreasonable and I eat carbs. Ihave no problem eating like this.

someone used to call this "the outback steakhouse effect" :cool:

The best kept (not so much now) secret.:)

He's a pretty smart guy.

I am B +. What would be best for me? Foods wise.

My 2 cents.

Just my opinion

Similar to others

I keep the cheat meal in there for the first 8 weeks, then reduce it to every 10 days or as needed the last 8 weeks. I hit a wall, I cheat again!

I agree Shelby, I am the king of calorie-free condiments and diet drinks, I think I scare the check-out person at Walmart on weekly basis with all my assorted diet beverages!

My foods are pretty simple:
Chicken
Fish
Lean beef
Eggs
Broccoli
Skim milk, but that goes away after 8 weeks
LBA's
Protein Powder
Eggs and more eggs
Cabbage
Rice