advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Has bodybuilding really advanced in the last 20 yrs ?

I this a fucking great thread. Can you start a podcast IAM? haha
I'd listen to you read legal copy

Should be gd to go LK3 .........and a podcast ? That might be fun ......have to look into it ......

Protein bars are such life savers on trips though. Especially outside the USA in countries that are really big on carby foods.

on trips? I'm eating gas station hotdogs lol. other countries? only country I'm likely going to is Mexico, and I'm gonna find an El Pastor street taco with just meat, avocado, and sour cream lol before I eat a protein bar.

I didn't know Paul Borreson .....I did sit on the phone interview with him once when Jason Muller [ shawn ] interviewed him .....Guy was wasted ....he might have been reckless and a liar [ I don't know ].....but I liked lots of his ideas ....some which he may have stole from pusher [ are you the old maverick ] ....He used to say something I liked .a lot though....." Ignorance kills .......Let's kill ignorance " .......the man was right ....it is ignorance that ruins the bbing experience and it is ignorance that blinds the world and leads it to suffer as it is ........

He had a dream of connecting 30000 huge bbers and forming a community that supported one another and also influenced the world in a positive way ....bbing starts out as a very selfish activity, but it can transform in to art .[ which is just intelligence having fun isn't it ? ...lol] everyone can and should be a bber in some way , shape , or form .....it doesn't have to look like anyone else and should never be done as competition ......you are you perfect as you are ....you can play with that, and express that anyway you choose that is the whole fun in bbing imo

that was actually Trevor's idea/saying that Paul passed off as his own as well. lol

quite a blast from the past reading back through these posts here. lotttttta memories

Lee Haney -

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74DYUS77M6A"]Lee Haney Interview: Ronnie & Flex Cannot Be On the Same Stage | Iron Cinema - YouTube[/ame]

I will always be a Haney fan ......He really didn't have any genetic elite guys to compete against in his era ...Christian was the only one size and ht wise that matched up , but he didn't have the wheels or thickness. If Rory , mendenhall , or jeff king had made it to the IFBB they would have pushed him more , but like Srydom they just couldn't match Haneys back and chest thickness . Haney's back genes were probably the best ever .....although Coleman and yates ended up with freakier backs ........

I still remember in 86 being 16 driving nearly 3 hrs to see Haney do a Seminar at the old San jose Golds [ great hardcore gym for a long time ] and someone asked if they could measure Haneys arm .....he said sure .......he said he was 270 and his arm cold ended up 20 and half ...Which is huge with no seo , today with how guys do it he 'd have had 22s at least ....lol ...And man was his upper chest thick ....like a dam shelf .....[ my upper chest sucks so seeing guys like that freaks me out ] ......only denis james and ruhel had upper chest shelves to that degree ......insane ...

Hey G , didn't you say you saw Victor rhichards measured in his prime at an event ....do you remember what his measurements were ..........I have seen him in and out of the gym multiple times .....I bet he was 330 in decent shape at his largest .....prob 23 inch arms....just thick ....his legs might have been like ramys in that 36 range ......lol ....I remember and muscle and fitness measuring him at like 22 and 32 and half but that was at 275 in near show shape .....he was a thick beast .....way way thicker than Haney .....but no way could have he beat him on stage .....

I will always be a Haney fan ......He really didn't have any genetic elite guys to compete against in his era ...Christian was the only one size and ht wise that matched up , but he didn't have the wheels or thickness. If Rory , mendenhall , or jeff king had made it to the IFBB they would have pushed him more , but like Srydom they just couldn't match Haneys back and chest thickness . Haney's back genes were probably the best ever .....although Coleman and yates ended up with freakier backs ........

I still remember in 86 being 16 driving nearly 3 hrs to see Haney do a Seminar at the old San jose Golds [ great hardcore gym for a long time ] and someone asked if they could measure Haneys arm .....he said sure .......he said he was 270 and his arm cold ended up 20 and half ...Which is huge with no seo , today with how guys do it he 'd have had 22s at least ....lol ...And man was his upper chest thick ....like a dam shelf .....[ my upper chest sucks so seeing guys like that freaks me out ] ......only denis james and ruhel had upper chest shelves to that degree ......insane ...

Hey G , didn't you say you saw Victor rhichards measured in his prime at an event ....do you remember what his measurements were ..........I have seen him in and out of the gym multiple times .....I bet he was 330 in decent shape at his largest .....prob 23 inch arms....just thick ....his legs might have been like ramys in that 36 range ......lol ....I remember and muscle and fitness measuring him at like 22 and 32 and half but that was at 275 in near show shape .....he was a thick beast .....way way thicker than Haney .....but no way could have he beat him on stage .....
It is a godsend to have you posting on here. I could read your posts for days.

Who had the most cartoonish looking physique you ever saw? Flex, Lee Priest?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Thanks man.....I am always grateful to be here ......Funny Lee was so short and narrow he didn't blow my mind ......but I did see him once in Venice at probably 260 or more ......he was fat .....but dam strong and impressive .....A guy that I trained to win the Palm Springs one year later became training partner of Lee's at world's ....said he was cool and cheat curling 315 at times ...lol

Flex ....was amazing on stage .....in the gym impressive very strong for his structure ....but not mind blowing size wise and kind of narrow

Ronnie at 320 was like a silverback gorilla in person ....Vic Richards insane ....Dillet was crazy ...some of the best legs on a tall guy ever .....Lou ferigno at 330 at a seminar [ that I almost fought in the parking lot at a seminar cause I asked him about his calf implants ] ....Mattarazo s calfs before the night of champions one year ....just sick ....Arron baker in the gym was a god ......more impressive than flex although narrow too ......Prince at 310 thick as anyone ......Two guys that blew me were ralf Muller 6'6 288 on stage ....I saw him at 320 when I was 18 ish .....unforgettable ...Ronald killinger in venice at 6 '4 or 5 330 om stage in 280s was very impressive ......A guy some of you may remember but didn't compete much was doug Stadle [ sp ?] In off season , he was unreal about 5 10 and 300 with viens through his tights ........

I think I was sitting with dante at the Iron man pro the first time I actually saw dillet .....thinking he should have won ....he got 2 nd .....and going , " what the fuck is that " .....before all the shit he put in his arms and delts ....and wider waist ruined him ....in the 260s and 270s he was really impressive .....not so much later on ......

Jim Qunin , Billy smith , and gunter were all huge and lean all the time ......all tall and trained hard .....smith was strong ...real strong .......also seen lots of no name guys like me that were big impressive dudes that could move some weight .......some cats I have grown up with were quite impressive

I like gym bbers .....I am huge fan of pretty physiques .....but guys that are huge and strong in the gym wear it is earned always inspired me

Nasser was very thick ....from head to toe ......Mevin Anthony 's back in a tank top was unreal .....I never saw many of the east coast guys train [ other than guys that were at Venice or in San Diego .....] Never saw any of the english guys train back then ,I wish I had , they seem to get after it .........Fisher trained hard ....not crazy strong, but intense ....Milos and sonny looked great all the time and did high volume when I saw them multiple times .....most guys trained the same ....mod volume and intensity ......and they all were strong .....the biggest tended to be the strongest as well , but not always .........No one worked out like Dante had us doing ......and it was fun being different ....

I like gym bbers .....I am huge fan of pretty physiques .....but guys that are huge and strong in the gym wear it is earned always inspired me

this x2

I think now with social media this counts for a lot more with the general public than it did in the past.

I remember back like 15-18yrs ago, you'd tell somebody "bro, aaron baker/tom prince/dillett is beyond what you could f'n imagine. onstage don't mean shit.. you gotta see this dude in person" to somebody who wasn't from the la/socal area.

now with social media, we can all kinda see these guys. the "Gym Mr.O's"... I believe the first was Aaron Baker (not counting Curtis or Vic Richards), then you had Dennis James (who was way off in Thailand... to this day I'm still a "scare away" from moving there for good), then you got Jason Huh, and a bunch others.. Ramy, etc...

Nasser was very thick ....from head to toe ......Mevin Anthony 's back in a tank top was unreal .....I never saw many of the east coast guys train [ other than guys that were at Venice or in San Diego .....] Never saw any of the english guys train back then ,I wish I had , they seem to get after it .........Fisher trained hard ....not crazy strong, but intense ....Milos and sonny looked great all the time and did high volume when I saw them multiple times .....most guys trained the same ....mod volume and intensity ......and they all were strong .....the biggest tended to be the strongest as well , but not always .........No one worked out like Dante had us doing ......and it was fun being different ....

x2... looked like he was carrying brown breadloafs under each armpit. seriously like 6-7" of horizontal shelf on the bottom of his lats.

Jeff King, forgot about him.... I remember the first time I saw a picture of him and couldn't believe that his neck was real... holy shit, def the thickest neck I've ever seen... crazy..

Also, IAB, you talk about the upper chest development of those guys. Obviously a lot of that is genetic, but in your opinion, what are the best exercises to maximize that area? inc bb/db presses?

Jeff King

Jeff King

Attachments

• NECKZILLA.jpg
    NECKZILLA.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 724
Also, IAB, you talk about the upper chest development of those guys. Obviously a lot of that is genetic, but in your opinion, what are the best exercises to maximize that area? inc bb/db presses?

DJ says on a few vids I've seen he only does incline pressing

Maybe dante will chose to chime in on this thread ......not sure as we have lost touch .....but since he isn't training but a few guys anymore , maybe he will share his new ideas in eating for size and in training for mass ......I wonder if things have evolved for him .....he has awesome intuition , I would love to hear him pull the cap off and share where he sees things today

Trying to get in the thread J just been really pressed timewise this week.

No worries my friend ......if you get time i would love hear anything you have to share . I always learn something when you post and know there will be at least someone that listens and will be a healthier better bodybuilder because of you .Hope you and your family are wonderful. Been way too long . Much love

1111........to answer your question about upper chest . Dante taught me something long ago and over time i see him correct again and again . It comes down to genes . Most pros before they hit the insulin .Gain most of their size in their first 2 yrs on gear ...They just blow up ...look how i blew up as a kid with dantes guidence .i built a great foundation .Then hit gear and bam in 2 yrs i m 280 to 300. ....i wasnt running gh and huge dosages ..played with insulin when things slowed down in thr high 260s ......i m no freak ...but have good balance ...structure ...smaller joints . But i dont have freaky bodyparts ....kind of thicker Bob Paris ....kind of denis newman......but i dont have nice thick round muscle .....but you put me in any gym even now .....i stand out ......i look athletic ....and have balance that is rare . That being said .....if you are going to have a gd chest or any other body part you see it in those first two years that you gear up . Of course you can improve what you have some but if your arms or upper chest suck then chances are they are always going to be a challenge. Guys that make big changes after those intial couple yrs are usually site imjecting and or pushing gh /insulin to knew levels ....ala phil heaths torso from when he turned pro to now ....rolly ....brandon curry ....ect ect ......but thats not training ,smart for the avg guy here , or realistic . I laugh seeing guys in their 40s and 50s ...chasing size or trying to improve bodyparts when they have been in the game 10 to 30 yrs . Anyone can be big ....anyone ....but not everyone can look good in their underware ......it doesnt matter . Guys need to focus on their own journey and quit measuring themselves against others ...root for others and appreciate them dont compete with them . There is only one you ever in the history of the world .You are perfect how ever that looks and even if you are like me and your upper chest sucks ...lol ....

Upper chest has a lot to do where your pecs attach .Guys with a big meat shelf have pecs that attach more over the collarbone ....most guys its kind in the middle and if sucks you are usually broad shouldered and it attaches underneath ......there are tricks invented by guys like emeric or john parrillo that can help nomatter what your situation is .These guys saw working the pec minor can give you a fuller higher chest ...they do a stiff arm dip called pec dips that i think are great ...i like to do one or two supersets of pec dips with a special stiff arm pullover for pec minor that works great .....developing the minor helps even lames like me ...sucks cuz i m wide and have a good rib box ...and thats rare ....usually you have one or the other or are just med of both . I just dont have great attachments.

Exteme streching can change things some . It gives a fuller look imo . ...as far as movements ? I m not a great fan of inclines honestly ...they have destroyed my shoulder .Dante and marcus ruhel like the super wide grip smith ....i used like heavy top partials in smith with a narrow grip ....reverse grip bench .....for size .....low incline db presses with db facing one another .....neck presses gironda style ........and yeah i ve tried all the cable bs ...and yes there is some muscle intervation there for sure ....but i just dont see you being able to tax the fibers enough to really give you any..thickness ....my favorite chest most was taught to me by dante in the early 90s ...and that is the low decline press done in the power rack on a flat bench with 2 45s stuck at the ebd to create a slight decline ....now that movement saves shoulders and builds meat ....phil hernon had crazy thick pecs ...i think that or dips were his favorite moves .........for volume trainers something i am not but have played with for sure .....hitting a basic move for like a rest pause ....then tri setting 3 upper pec moves .....the doing a pec minor super set followed by extreme stteching can help as much as anything ....this is a gd technique that greg zulak used to suggest ..... ( he had some gd ideas imo ) getting blood into weak muscles can help .....as well as really learning to contract your weak bodyparts as well ......but all and all most of all that is fluff ...and wont give dramatic results honestly ......i say get stronger...rotate moves ....develp pec minors .....and " respect what is ".....lol ...seeing guys here shooting there chest full of oil and taking tons of drugs while looking for magic routines is sad to me ....i get wanting to improve ....but at the end of the day weak upper chest or not it doesnt matter in the scheme of things .......maybe guys would be happier helping people...animals .or the environment than trying to overcome their limitations genetically .....dante gave you gold along time ago .....if you dont have it in the first couple yrs thats ok ..train ....b healthy ...have fun learning ....but put your time ,money , and energy into things that matter ....and trying to be perfect does not ....just be u guys thats a wonderful thing in itself ....having a haney chest isnt going to make your life better at all ....and chicks arent going to be lining up cuz uou got a meat shelf to set their drink on ....lol ...hopefully ....that came off as real ..honest and was helpful in some way .....i can talk training all freaking day ....so much bs out there its crazy .....

Before I go eat my bison burger smothered in cheese .....and hit the hay .....I wanted to mention neck training .......I believe every guy especially older guys should be training neck 2-3 times a week . Unless you are short , narrow , and have aa naturally thick neck ......you should make a point to have some neck development and try to keep in line with your arms and claves .....it looks so stupid to have a big ass body and thin neck .....My neck and traps aren't naturally thick and even at my largest they weren't huge but they were in perfect proportion .....If you want to be a monster .....get a big ass neck and you will look strong and powerful .....

Also , note to older guys . Remember your head shrinks with age . [ funny how as the yrs mount that life humbles you and your head gets smaller ....lol ] That's why people get turkey necks and loose skin .....neck training can prevent a lot of that , even for ladies ......be smart ....higher reps ...good form and cadence ......but a thick neck is a good thing .

One thing I learned as kid from a Rory L. article[ and later on in person ] was to train everything and to strive to build great proportions and balance .....I mean train your forearms ...calves including Tibullus ...steratus ...low back ...glutes ...neck ....different parts of back ....pec major and minor .....cover all your body parts ..rory was a volume guy ....but he was a power builder all the way ...one of the strongest bbers ever ...my favorite gym bber ever ....he trained everything and went heavy on even isolation stuff ......

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bttywllsns01
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws