advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Has bodybuilding really advanced in the last 20 yrs ?

Before I go eat my bison burger smothered in cheese .....and hit the hay .....I wanted to mention neck training .......I believe every guy especially older guys should be training neck 2-3 times a week . Unless you are short , narrow , and have aa naturally thick neck ......you should make a point to have some neck development and try to keep in line with your arms and claves .....it looks so stupid to have a big ass body and thin neck .....My neck and traps aren't naturally thick and even at my largest they weren't huge but they were in perfect proportion .....If you want to be a monster .....get a big ass neck and you will look strong and powerful .....

Also , note to older guys . Remember your head shrinks with age . [ funny how as the yrs mount that life humbles you and your head gets smaller ....lol ] That's why people get turkey necks and loose skin .....neck training can prevent a lot of that , even for ladies ......be smart ....higher reps ...good form and cadence ......but a thick neck is a good thing .

One thing I learned as kid from a Rory L. article[ and later on in person ] was to train everything and to strive to build great proportions and balance .....I mean train your forearms ...calves including Tibullus ...steratus ...low back ...glutes ...neck ....different parts of back ....pec major and minor .....cover all your body parts ..rory was a volume guy ....but he was a power builder all the way ...one of the strongest bbers ever ...my favorite gym bber ever ....he trained everything and went heavy on even isolation stuff ......

I'd really like to try neck training. Maybe some old school boxing rolls and stuff.

The only thing I'm hesitant about is sleep apnea, a thicker neck will lead to that inevitably especially if bodyweight is climbing. Your thoughts on this?

Thinker ......like the way you think , being health conscious from the get go is a bright way to see things.....and I think anyone that gets big especially over 250lbs will possibly face apnea and or snoring issues .....and it is something you should take serious as it could kill you. [ I have known multiple guys die from episodes caused from apnea ]

And I think neck rolls and bridges aren't worth the risk for most of you guys . I 'd rather see you all buy a neck harness and train it at various angles in a cable unit .....2-3 sets of 15 -20 reps at 2-3 4 angles just takes a few min and you don't need to train super intense like with most body part to see good results . [ so it wont hurt recovery for your larger body parts ]

I see mini Johnnie Jackson aka b boy down there .......hope all is well , always enjoyed you and respected the body you have built .

I have played a lot with intermittent fasting , fasting , and keto diets for yrs ...NY muscle had inspired me to play with at again , I liked not eating and know it was healthier .......but honestly , I think it slows the metabolism , and isn't the best for keeping muscle ......I didn't like how I looked or felt after awhile ....I think it is great that you are growing eating little and feel great and is it definitely healthy ......I just haven't liked the results over time .......I will probably revisit some ideas ........I am big fan of Scott Abel and I have sat in on interviews with him before as well .[ he was kind of arrogant , but smart and experienced ] ......He thinks most of the low carb , fasting stuff is being marketing by the dr's we listen too to create markets for themselves .......he has a whole serious on his thoughts of low carb or diets ......it is worth checking out . Also his input on how ineffective cardio was really was eye opening to me ........When you have been around as long as I have . You see one thing , every so called expert has an agenda .......lol ......I like you because you do not it seems .......you do your thing and go with what feels right with you ....

Just wanted to wish you well ......send some love .....and say it has been fun watching you grow on the boards over the years

Finishing a long night at the club and getting ready to close and head to gym with my girl to train some upper body ......I have been doing kind of my own version of Phil Heron 's old training and I enjoy it a lot .....Any one else train similar ? I like to get in bang it out and go home .....40 - 60 min tops , if I could train more than once a day ......I would do 20 -30 min sessions ........I have never wanted to be in the gym for hrs a day ......I used to hear how guys in the 70s would pop speed and train 4 to 8 hrs a day .......that is nuts .....think how much bigger they would have been if they trained right and ate more . But the speed makes sense on how they could do that volume and diet on 1500 kals a day or even less .....Keeps waist small ...and butt and legs as well ...but cost them a ton of strength and mass as well

Many of the Instgram bodyuilders think a big neck is ugly, traps they find ugly too. They basically want be like a piece of cardboard, no front to back thickness, just a delinated and and pecs and so on. Then you have the Asian bodybuilders with faces which look like prepubertal kids with make-up and not a hint of androgenic effects. Gender fluid is probably a good term for them. :D

I think a thick neck and traps is the coolest thing ever. Never really trained neck but tried the harness with cabless - going really light, though many reps, my neck and skull cramped up, could not move my head, and got a headache. I put on Voltared gel on my neck immediately and it wasn' too painful in a few hours :D Gonna do them again, this time extra light at first :D

Last edited:
Many of the Instgram bodyuilders think a big neck is ugly, traps they find ugly too. They basically want be like a piece of cardboard, no front to back thickness, just a delinated and and pecs and so on. Then you have the Asian bodybuilders with faces which look like prepubertal kids with make-up and not a hint of androgenic effects. Gender fluid is probably a good term for them. :D

I think a thick neck and traps is the coolest thing ever. Never really trained neck but tried the harness with cabless - going really light, though many reps, my neck and skull cramped up, could not move my head, and got a headache. I put on Voltared gel on my neck immediately and it wasn' too painful in a few hours :D Gonna do them again, this time extra light at first :D

Love having big traps. I saw an article from TMuscle pop up yesterday saying big traps are a sign of a strong physique and I couldn't agree more. Never trained them directly, just got lucky with them.

Hey stack there is a guy over at Get big that posts under the name Tommy wishbone .....he used to work the front desk at Gold's venice .....I remember him ......The dudes neck was jacked ......he would train it on the old 4 way nautilus machine [ elite fitness sales a 6 way neck machine that I am going to buy when I move in the spring of next year ...it is about 4 k .....but that and a reverse hyper are must haves imo] His neck looked sick is was wider than his ears not flexing it .......You guys start slow with the neck work it can give the same feelings that stack experienced ......in time and as you age you will be glad you stuck with it ....

Nothuman ....awesome chest and traps bro ......gives you are strong look

Iabad- I saw this thread last night and honestly woke up this morning excited to read it. Always enjoy your posts but this one is great. Love your ideas on training and nutrition ( and share your love for 90's bodybuilding)

Quick questions- what does your current training and nutrition look like?
I think you are in your 40's and I think it would be interesting to see your ideas for training now. Also if Dante wants to chime in- that is always a plus.

As always wish you the best my friend

I am going to hit the Hay PF ......much love to you bro .....you have always been so kind to me ......of course , I will go into my training and diet later on ....for now its a bath with my girl , then meditate , reflect and sleep ......I am beat ......this thread has been fun for me , I am glad you are enjoying it hopefully we will keep it going ......

Remember fellas , " Do good .....Be Good " .....and to " Love , serve and remember "

Peace

Great topic, Excellent post!

I agree 100%

I had this conversation just yesterday with Ed Connors via FB
the physiques have regressed no other way around it.
are they bigger?? yes but are they better?? absolutely not

another thing is the fascination with the "guru"
everyone has a guru yet nobody gets in shape! lol

conditioning and consistency at nailing conditioning was better pre guru!!

goes back to "Keep It Simple Stupid"
fancy diets, complicated GH and Slin protocols where you're pinning shit 10 times a day, macros, re-feeds, carb back loading, front loading, ehhhhh its all shit

listen to how basic the great bodybuilders kept things

Lee Priest
how did you get shredded

Just ate clean and slowly kept increasing cardio, when I needed to push I just added more cardio, kept my food the same pretty much.

Lee Priest
"peak week"

" if you look full, hard, vascular and dry a week out why change anything just drop your water a little the day before" hmmm makes sense right

Great topic, Excellent post!

I agree 100%

I had this conversation just yesterday with Ed Connors via FB
the physiques have regressed no other way around it.
are they bigger?? yes but are they better?? absolutely not

another thing is the fascination with the "guru"
everyone has a guru yet nobody gets in shape! lol

conditioning and consistency at nailing conditioning was better pre guru!!

goes back to "Keep It Simple Stupid"
fancy diets, complicated GH and Slin protocols where you're pinning shit 10 times a day, macros, re-feeds, carb back loading, front loading, ehhhhh its all shit

listen to how basic the great bodybuilders kept things

Lee Priest
how did you get shredded

Just ate clean and slowly kept increasing cardio, when I needed to push I just added more cardio, kept my food the same pretty much.

Lee Priest
"peak week"

" if you look full, hard, vascular and dry a week out why change anything just drop your water a little the day before" hmmm makes sense right
This makes perfect sense...

I can understand trying something for a small change during the offseason..

But when it comes to conditioning and prep in general people just want the easy way out...

Noone wants to work hard to get that hard shredded grainy look anymore...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

PF .......I will try and answer this while it is slow here at work ....How do I train ? Hmm.....I divide my body into upper and lower body ......I do 3 - 5 sets a body part ... after warm up s [ some times ....one movement and sometimes 5 different ones of one set ] I train in 3 rep ranges , 15 -20 , 8-12 , 5-7 .....on some body parts like legs ....I will do a 40 to 100 rep extended set .....I usually hit failure in all three ranges during my working sets .....I usually hit failure higher ranges to heavy because I am old and it keeps my weights down a bit and warms me up even more so I don't get hurt . If I was young and trying to get big I would warm up and hit heavy first . Once every cycle ....include a rest pause for each body part ala DC style .......and then usually do drop set on my heavy set the opposite workouts with a static hold or i will stage reps or burns ....If i feel burnt I don't train to failure and leave one or two reps in the tank .....I have 3 main workouts I do for every body part and i rotate them each session .....but sometimes I throw in an instinctive workout just because my intuition tells me to [ this is when i usually do multiple movements ] I stick with basic stuff .....nothing too fancy ......I can give body part examples if you wish .......My cycles are 11 weeks .......I train upper /lower 6 days a week for 3 weeks [ so each body part 3 times a week ] , then I train upper /lower for 4 days a week [ so everything twice a week ] for 3 weeks .....then I train every other day the last 3 weeks ....[ so everything 1-2 times a week ] Then I take 5 -7 days off .....then 7-9 days of lighter super set training , The I hit it all over again sometimes i take an extra week in the recovery phase ..........My reasons ....are simple coming off a lay off I can handle the high frequency , but by week three I am getting stronger and recovery is tapped . the extra rest keeps gains moving further ......but after 3 weeks I need a little more recovery and need to be smart to keep weight climbing up and if an extra day off is needed it is taken .....by then you should be much stronger than you started .....your body will be on the brink of injury or burn out so you take 5- 7 days off .....You come back with a different style of training that gives you a little active recovery and prepares you for the next high frequency period

So that is my style ...a little dante ....a little phil ,,,,,and 70s mentzer .....and built from some of john meadows influence .....Nothing crazy ...but great program .....anyone I have on this program tells me it is the best routine they have followed .........If I was a young guy I would cycle my eating with the routine and it would be very effective .......If you played the drug game you could use all fast acting compounds and play with gh and insulin in various ways ......it isn't what I am doing so I won't include that .....But simple and basic like the guys said .....no need for gurus or craziness .....you don't have to get complicated and there is no magic routine or method......anything can work ........but this routine is solid , plus I enjoy it

One note on back training......I always transition into back from chest with dumb bell or barbell pullover [ this is thickness builder and offers a nice combo of both.....I keep reps higher ....20 -25 , 15 - 20 , and 12 - 15 ] Then I hit a chin[ I love dante's rack chins , but like narrow, under hand , or med grip as well ] for 3 sets and a row for 3 sets ....[ once in a cycle I do rack deads ....and sometimes after pullovers I always do them } rows a phil favorite two armed db rows , t-bar , or underhand yates rows ......low back is on leg day ...good morning , hyper /reverse hyper super set . or doug brigmole sp back raises .......the higher rep ranges .....if tight will just use a low back machine and really squeeze

Also everybody part is stretched hard for an extreme style stretch for 60 - 90 sec then posed after before I ht the next .....I don't add much weight as you probably should cuz I have a ton of old injuries and I am not trying to be a beast anymore ..........Since starting hrt , I am siting in the low to mid 260s ....If I add 2-3 ius of gh ...and a couple of ius of insulin around certain workouts .....I will be 280 ......[ not sure I want to do that or not .......last time I was 280 I was coming off no training and back surgery and I looked awful ....this time would be a much much different look .....lol ...but at much age not smart ....I take 200 mg of test dived into 2 doses and 25 mgs arom 2 -3 days week .....I give blood every other month and watch bp .......but that is it .....if I add the other things I will have to be more cautious ......I have been 260 in ok shape like this I am long long time .....I f i go to 280 I will hold it for 6 moths and then diet down to 230 or so pretty and very very lean and ride that out ........but I am just not sure i even care about anyone that ......I like the routine I have built ....I like what the test has done for me and feel pretty good ....My focus is on less superficial things but if I go there it will be because it will be a fun experiment .....

And remember guys .....I had this size before ....I earned it ...so a little test and good food and things change pretty quick especially for me ........[ and my body fat is fairly high ......lets not pretend I am 263 ripped on 200mgs of test ....lol ....but I am not a sob and look decent ] We will see what happens as my training and diet plays out .......If this thread stays alive I will keep you posted ....I may even put some pics up so you guys can see how things shape up .....time will tell .....

Also lets note, 263 is thick and off season look ....I d be lucky to see 215 -220 shredded ...I am smaller than I was a natty 16 year or about the same .....I am very real about that ....So I am not huge at just over 6 ft ...Too many guys are fooling themselves .....I am not ....but I am being honest here and will never take anything but test [ maybe gh , anti e , gh , insulin in tiny amounts and havent yet and may never ......] I was clean totally 20 yrs [ no hrt] ....and trained off and on .....have a ton of injuries .......so let's not be bs ed by knowledge and experiences .....lol ....I walk in your gym you are going to notice and think I m big , but naked next a competitive juiced to the gills bber I would look awful [ except my proportion and structure ]

I live in the now ....and want you guys to have it on the real .....lol Guys pm me like I am some God ......lol ...I just like to train , help others and to learn about how to be a better human being every day

Last edited:
Just finished a lower body 2 nd cycle day ...was brutal ....if you guys want to see how that looks let me know and i will put it up before i crash ....

One note on back training......I always transition into back from chest with dumb bell or barbell pullover [ this is thickness builder and offers a nice combo of both.....I keep reps higher ....20 -25 , 15 - 20 , and 12 - 15 ] Then I hit a chin[ I love dante's rack chins , but like narrow, under hand , or med grip as well ] for 3 sets and a row for 3 sets ....[ once in a cycle I do rack deads ....and sometimes after pullovers I always do them } rows a phil favorite two armed db rows , t-bar , or underhand yates rows ......low back is on leg day ...good morning , hyper /reverse hyper super set . or doug brigmole sp back raises .......the higher rep ranges .....if tight will just use a low back machine and really squeeze

Also everybody part is stretched hard for an extreme style stretch for 60 - 90 sec then posed after before I ht the next .....I don't add much weight as you probably should cuz I have a ton of old injuries and I am not trying to be a beast anymore ..........Since starting hrt , I am siting in the low to mid 260s ....If I add 2-3 ius of gh ...and a couple of ius of insulin around certain workouts .....I will be 280 ......[ not sure I want to do that or not .......last time I was 280 I was coming off no training and back surgery and I looked awful ....this time would be a much much different look .....lol ...but at much age not smart ....I take 200 mg of test dived into 2 doses and 25 mgs arom 2 -3 days week .....I give blood every other month and watch bp .......but that is it .....if I add the other things I will have to be more cautious ......I have been 260 in ok shape like this I am long long time .....I f i go to 280 I will hold it for 6 moths and then diet down to 230 or so pretty and very very lean and ride that out ........but I am just not sure i even care about anyone that ......I like the routine I have built ....I like what the test has done for me and feel pretty good ....My focus is on less superficial things but if I go there it will be because it will be a fun experiment .....

And remember guys .....I had this size before ....I earned it ...so a little test and good food and things change pretty quick especially for me ........[ and my body fat is fairly high ......lets not pretend I am 263 ripped on 200mgs of test ....lol ....but I am not a sob and look decent ] We will see what happens as my training and diet plays out .......If this thread stays alive I will keep you posted ....I may even put some pics up so you guys can see how things shape up .....time will tell .....

IAB, what is a Doug Brigmole back raise?

Last edited:
Just finished a lower body 2 nd cycle day ...was brutal ....if you guys want to see how that looks let me know and i will put it up before i crash ....

would be interested to see..

n/m on the brignole back raise... just looked it up and read his ironman piece..

What a badass thread. I'd love to see a pic of you in your prime Iabadman.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Thiccthighsshan
NapsGear