mega-banner2
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Has the scientific community improved training/physics in the the past 15 years?

qbkilla

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I was watching a YouTube video where a well known personality basically said (I'm paraphrasing) that training hasn't evolved much in the past 20 (or so years) and with all the evidence based stuff, guys look no better than they did years ago.

This got me thinking and I agree. Years ago guys just trained hard, usually a bro split. Now we have all these studies on frequency, volume, recovery, reps in reserve, but do you think it has had a positive impact, no impact, or a negative impact and guys just overanalyze things way too much?

Is it a blessing to be ignorant to all the science stuff and just go in hit it hard then rest?

just glancing at title of thread first thought that came to mind was:
Physics dont change much. cuz they cant..... law of gravity aint going anywhere lol
by that, i mean bodies r soooo simple. if u see some of my posts i dont believe any of this is complicated at all.
First show i trained under phil hernon guidance i looked badass. and i did the most simple diet and exercise routine u can imagine.
people that over complicate and come up w all kinds of "angles" and fancy routines etc. either A. r selling training or B. dont know better n believe the bs
really wish you coulda had some convos with Phil Hernon

Lol, the physics was a typo but I don't think I can correct the title. Autocorrect gets me for starting a thread while on my phone.

But I do agree simple is better. I feel like the internet, reddit, social media have really given a large audience to the "evidence based community" when it comes to how we train.

I feel like knowing some of these things about rpe and rir can be helpful for some trainers who understand how to put it into use. But for most people I feel like it’s paralysis by analysis. Too much info, too much to process, too complicated. Using mathematical equations to figure out how much to lift has no interest to me anymore now that I’m done powerlifting. I just want to lift heavy weights really intensely and it seems to work out pretty well for my physique. Lift heavy with progressive overload and eat a lot of good quality calories and you’ll grow. I truly believe it’s that simple for the vast majority of people

I was watching a YouTube video where a well known personality basically said (I'm paraphrasing) that training hasn't evolved much in the past 20 (or so years) and with all the evidence based stuff, guys look no better than they did years ago.

This got me thinking and I agree. Years ago guys just trained hard, usually a bro split. Now we have all these studies on frequency, volume, recovery, reps in reserve, but do you think it has had a positive impact, no impact, or a negative impact and guys just overanalyze things way too much?

Is it a blessing to be ignorant to all the science stuff and just go in hit it hard then rest?
I believe most like me just continue to grow by eating big and training hard. I would say though that the knowledge has come along way even with things as simple as an app tracking our entire diet for us or like you were talking about the leaps in scientific training positive impacts but most don't take advantage of everything that has come around like the training you talk about same as me if it ain't broke don't fix it attitude I guess stuck in my ways lol
Excellent question though so much that isn't utilized unless training at a national level.

Lol, the physics was a typo but I don't think I can correct the title. Autocorrect gets me for starting a thread while on my phone.

But I do agree simple is better. I feel like the internet, reddit, social media have really given a large audience to the "evidence based community" when it comes to how we train.
What would people talk about? You could just learn some of the basics then be done with it, move on with life...but what would people talk about? Especially on a daily basis? Yah people are psycho about this stuff.

Some people should probably use their passion to dig deeper and figure all that complexity of physiology.

Has powerlifting records not continually been broken? In powerlifting the sport has definitely evolved, most of the guys preaching these studies are power based trainers.

Just a thought

What would people talk about? You could just learn some of the basics then be done with it, move on with life...but what would people talk about? Especially on a daily basis? Yah people are psycho about this stuff.

Some people should probably use their passion to dig deeper and figure all that complexity of physiology.
We all have a master plan to get big and some do especially here use those methods depending upon their level. I just knew a guy on another forum who was training like that and was a rookie but had it all set up in an app. Technology will play a bigger role moving forward in bbing and training also nutrition.

Information that helps someone understand their body type and how to better approach training and diet for that body type is valuable information!

In Olympic Weightlifting, no, the numbers haven't changed much. Most of the records set in the 80's would still stand today. None of those records has been blown out of the water. What has changed are the weight classes (restructuring LOL). If anything, today's guys are at a disadvantage with more stringent testing protocols. In bodybuilding, let's be honest...mainly one thing has changed. Do you think any crop of bodybuilders look better than the 90's era top placers (Yates, Ray, Wheeler, Levrone, Nassar, etc)? This is absolutely no disrespect to anyone here who competes today. We're talking almost thirty years ago now. Yes, guys are heavier on stage but do they look better? Do they look bigger?

And finally, has equipment gotten better? IMO, and this is the easiest one to answer again IMO, absolutely not. I'd put anything Flex, Nautilus, Cybex, Strive, & Bodymasters made in the 80's against most of today's equipment. Hell, a lot of those pieces from the aforementioned companies hasn't even been changed much in some cases since the 80's. Yes, there are some excellent pieces from Arsenal (Nebula rebranded), Atlantis, and Panatta but for the most part, the innovation hasn't really improved much since the Nautilus cam and Strive's machines which allow the user to alter the force curve on each piece. As long as our bodies don't change, I don't see how the equipment for bodybuilders can see much more innovation at this point.

The sport that has seen the most jumps is Powerlifting. Not so much in the Deadlift or Squat but definitely in the bench.

Just my opinions...

In Olympic Weightlifting, no, the numbers haven't changed much. Most of the records set in the 80's would still stand today. None of those records has been blown out of the water. What has changed are the weight classes (restructuring LOL). If anything, today's guys are at a disadvantage with more stringent testing protocols. In bodybuilding, let's be honest...mainly one thing has changed. Do you think any crop of bodybuilders look better than the 90's era top placers (Yates, Ray, Wheeler, Levrone, Nassar, etc)? This is absolutely no disrespect to anyone here who competes today. We're talking almost thirty years ago now. Yes, guys are heavier on stage but do they look better? Do they look bigger?

And finally, has equipment gotten better? IMO, and this is the easiest one to answer again IMO, absolutely not. I'd put anything Flex, Nautilus, Cybex, Strive, & Bodymasters made in the 80's against most of today's equipment. Hell, a lot of those pieces from the aforementioned companies hasn't even been changed much in some cases since the 80's. Yes, there are some excellent pieces from Arsenal (Nebula rebranded), Atlantis, and Panatta but for the most part, the innovation hasn't really improved much since the Nautilus cam and Strive's machines which allow the user to alter the force curve on each piece. As long as our bodies don't change, I don't see how the equipment for bodybuilders can see much more innovation at this point.

The sport that has seen the most jumps is Powerlifting. Not so much in the Deadlift or Squat but definitely in the bench.

Just my opinions...
I mean, the glass ceiling for the 1000 pound deadlift was broken. I’d say that’s pretty big. But you are correct that the bench has seen the greatest changes. And on an unrelated note….how long you think before more guys start matching Donny Thompson’s 3000 pound total?

Understanding how things work has changed and improved. But what actually works and what to do has not made any huge gains that i see. There may be a better understanding of when of how to apply the things that have been done for many years. Some guys did well on volume many years ago. Some did high intensity and those things still work now. Drop sets and rest pause has been around forever but now they often have a different name and are applied a little different some times. But the basics are still the same.

Understanding how things work has changed and improved. But what actually works and what to do has not made any huge gains that i see. There may be a better understanding of when of how to apply the things that have been done for many years. Some guys did well on volume many years ago. Some did high intensity and those things still work now. Drop sets and rest pause has been around forever but now they often have a different name and are applied a little different some times. But the basics are still the same.
I completely agree. Nothing has changed but the names. It’s not intensity anymore, it’s rpe. It’s not drop sets or rest pause, it’s cluster sets. Everything sounds more scientific, but it all still boils down to lifting heavy things really hard and eating enough animals to grow

I believe we have more of a understanding on what not to do then what to do.. we see out mistakes and many studies add validity to our new understanding.. yes we have gotten bigger and stronger but I belueve much of that is a better understanding of supplementing and more yearly continued use of supplementing than actually using better training methods.. much of our training isn't much different than 30 years ago but, we have a better understanding of the importance of recuperating and rest.. so volume has lowered.. supplementing is up.. now don't get me wrong.. I read every study on hypertrophy I can find.. im a junkie but.. most are just telling us what we already have found out through trial and error

I believe we have more of a understanding on what not to do then what to do.. we see out mistakes and many studies add validity to our new understanding.. yes we have gotten bigger and stronger but I belueve much of that is a better understanding of supplementing and more yearly continued use of supplementing than actually using better training methods.. much of our training isn't much different than 30 years ago but, we have a better understanding of the importance of recuperating and rest.. so volume has lowered.. supplementing is up.. now don't get me wrong.. I read every study on hypertrophy I can find.. im a junkie but.. most are just telling us what we already have found out through trial and error
Correct. The science is just proving the bro science now

I would say the prevalence of the internet community pretty much taking over relaying "knowledge" on the topic has substantially diluted it.

A lot of guys are just in it for clicks and reactions so it gets convoluted. That being said you could argue the other side that it's easier to find info now.

I think the game has just changed, either way i think personal experience trumps anything.

It's funny in the 70's Arnold, serg, franco, lui, and Franck had such impressive pecs. But today you have guys like Ian valier with their pancake chests. We just got lazy

It's funny in the 70's Arnold, serg, franco, lui, and Franck had such impressive pecs. But today you have guys like Ian valier with their pancake chests. We just got lazy
It does seem like pecs and rib cages looked better back then. I believe the amount of pullovers they did had something to do with it. Guys like Arnold, Harold Poole, and Danny Padilla had immense shelves for pecs on top of huge barrel rib cages. Side chest poses just aren’t as impressive today

There's nothing scientific to training. Use good form with control and go hard until it fatigues... then continue to keep repping lol. IMO. Look at Branch Warren for example. Theres nothing scientific to Branch's training but we can't say it ain't working! That's an extreme example but you get the idea lol

The whole "science" trend is just guys looking for an easier way out of hard work

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshely
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131