over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

The OG training thread.

This thread is a great idea. I'd wanted to post early on (probably not best demographic for this site) but was crazy busy. Not my best but will at least get something down.

1. How did you start training and what age? Stats then.

Started 13 years old though did mess around with a bench setup at home from 11-12. At 12-13 I was 6'2" and 185lbs (grew fast).

2. What was your training routine at your peak and your stats?

Was never a BBer. I lifted for sports and athleticism. Gravitated toward Olympic lifting and powerlifting. I sucked at lifting sports being a tall guy (and not willing to weight 300-350 just to be decent). Loved it though. I was also blessed/cursed to know a lot of guys who were truly good in PL/OL including world record holders, Jr world champion, Pan Am games winner, guys who'd been to Olympics (went to watch Atlanta games in 1996), old school York guy who trained with Paul Anderson and a few other notables etc...what I really liked was the process of improvement and programming. Studied, spoke to etc guys who were top OL, Pl and D1 strength coaches. I did know a few BBers including one of the big mass monsters of the 1990s era which I guess is notable. Obviously I knew a whole bunch of fuckin a's and gym bros lol. Who knows maybe I was one as I didn't have the trophies a lot of the guys I knew had. That said if winning is fun and enjoying it, I'm in contention :)

I guess my best training was 1990s. Lots of squats and pulls and overhead. I think my best all around weight (not purely a lifting thing) is 245 at 6'3". Been up to 275 a few times and I slow down. Still explosive but not as agile on my feet. Certainly a better lifter though.

3. What would you differently, if anything?

Getting good info in the late 80s and early 90s was really hard. This was a time when few if anyone in non athletic gyms squatted or pulled and the big exercise for most bodybuilders was incline Smith presses (not a fucking joke). Anyway I was really lucky to be able to find/lift and train with such high caliber guys. I had all the passion but talent for lifting - meh - I was lucky to be in the same room. I show up, work as hard as anyone, bring my best, etc so a decent training partner.

What I'd do differently...just about everything if I could take my knowledge back. Shit more attention to macros, lower carbs - I always hit protein targets. I'm probably the only guy who can say he didn't run enough drugs for long enough (not a joke but then again in strength sports I wasn't a competitor so I was always conservative). I would eat, squat and pull like a single minded beast. It wouldn't have got me on a platform or at the level of my friends but the question was asked and put me in an 18-28 year old body again (no kids/work/etc)and let me tear at it.

4. How do you train now, and why that method.

I'm older now bordering on 50s. MacGyver duct tape stage of lifting. Mind is willing but trying to hold body together. Still heavily Barbell. I'd love to do ols again and have killer bumpers just collecting dust. Pisses me off. Need to get a bit healthier. Been bringing weight down for a while and now easily in my desired range. Nursing 2 injuries currently and mri in a week or so (nothing major but something).

I train like I always have. Pump means nothing to me and is incidental. I move weight through fundamental planes of motion and train that progressively to make myself better. I train to keep myself solid/capable and make myself feel good both physically and mentally. It's foundational and a part of me. I never quit and will always find a way.

I wonder if any of the top guys of today weight train twice a day?

I remember back in the day it was common to do back in the morning and then biceps, etc in the evening but since Dorian it seems like everyone gets their weight training knocked out all at once except for that first thing in the morning cardio session, etc.
Pretty much most top share their training on social media, can go check it out if you’re interested.

I remember back in the day it was common to do back in the morning and then biceps, etc in the evening but since Dorian it seems like everyone gets their weight training knocked out all at once except for that first thing in the morning cardio session, etc.
Roman Fritz I believe

I wonder if you will ever figure out how to use Google or the internet outside of this forum… 🤔

This has nothing to do with my thread. Either contribute or don’t post in it.

I wonder if you will ever figure out how to use Google or the internet outside of this forum… 🤔

This has nothing to do with my thread. Either contribute or don’t post in it.
Nothing will ever top showstopper asking how to use a BGM though lol

Nothing will ever top showstopper asking how to use a BGM though lol
That one was pretty good. 😂

But I’ll be the first to admit it now. I genuinely don’t like @powerlifter1983.

Which is unfortunate because I’ll go WAY out of my way to help anyone on here who is serious as most guys know.

But after yesterday @powerlifter1983 is is on my no fly list. Sorry not sorry man.

Which is unfortunate because I’ll go WAY out of my way to help anyone on here who is serious as most guys know.

But after yesterday @powerlifter1983 is is on my no fly list. Sorry not sorry man.

I am very thankful to you because I am getting my blood drawn tomorrow by my regular doc tomorrow and and I will make sure they test individually for CMP, CBC, full lipid panel, homocysteine, hsCRP, and ferritin. I’ll be posting the results soon as I have them. I appreciate your help and thank you for putting up with my annoying posts. You are a good man 🙏

I am very thankful to you because I am getting my blood drawn tomorrow by my regular doc tomorrow and and I will make sure they test individually for CMP, CBC, full lipid panel, homocysteine, hsCRP, and ferritin. I’ll be posting the results soon as I have them. I appreciate your help and thank you for putting up with my annoying posts. You are a good man 🙏
I certainly hope you prove me wrong. If you find a doctor that will run every panel I gave you then you have found a rare one.

Insurance does not like to cover those markers as they need a code and reason to run them. Most PCP’s won’t put in the effort to do the paperwork and pull the codes. Many of them will even tell you that they will and then simply don’t.

Or you may get to Quest or Labcorp and you’ll have to pay full price out of pocket which is far more than going through Ulta Labs as they get discounted cash rates due to their volume.

Regardless, do hope you prove me wrong as said. Bodybuilding is great, but you can’t do it without your health.

It's common knowledge that Milos has some guys on double sesion but no one has ever had that for their entire career, I wonder why? :cool:

In my opinion it doesn't make sense because if you get up to do cardio, you wouldn't want to train weights after 1 or 2 meals, so the first weight session will be close to the second one, otherwise you have to leave the second session for very close to bedtime and that can cause insomnia.

I am not a giant OG Vet however the thread looked fun so I decided to participate. As such I will keep my answers short.

1. How did you start training and what age? Stats then.

I had a hollow bar and 4 4lb red coated cement weights I got for xmas when I was in 2nd grade? I wanted them after watching Conan and seeing a Mr Olympia on TV. Platz was in it. I would just do curls and floor bench presses with it. I eventually got more weight and another bar.

Unfortunately, I then went into wrestling and spent a decade including puberty dieting. I wrestled 103lbs my freshman year and 145lbs my senior year. I then lifted pretty serious during college and went from 170-225lbs. I took a year off then lifted again in the Army then had some digestive issues got a job and didn't lift much for a decade. Got back into it mid-thirties then got injured had a bad break up lost most of my gains by 40 and now at 46 I am in a good place mentally and physically and getting them back.

2. What was your training routine at your peak and your stats?
I was 225lbs by the end of college with 18 inch arms. I would follow the Flex magazine routines to the exact set and rep. I am about the same size now maybe a little lighter but also leaner.

3. What would you differently, if anything?
I would have taken it a little easier on my shoulders to start and learned proper bench form sooner we didn't have youtube videos back then. I also would have trained legs more volume and lighter.

4. How do you train now, and why that method.
I don't really leave my house. I train in my basement. Basic bro split 4 days a week. I do what I can these days try to get 8 sets in per bodypart a week and ride 5-10 miles a day on my recumbant.

Obviously there are better ways to train and eat and I would like to be 400lbs but I am just happy to be healthy and training.

I thought I’d drop this in here as I get a fair few PM’s asking me what I do and seeing as I seem to change my opinion on what I’m doing weekly I really don’t like people to follow what I do 😂 however this is it currently in a nutshell. I will continue with it until I no longer enjoy it or feel like it’s not working or watch another YouTube video and immediately question all my life decisions

Currently push, pull, legs twice per week (Sundays off)

Sets per week done 50/50 between 2 workouts

Chest 18
Shoulders 26 (front side rear)
Triceps 18
Back 25
Biceps 18
Quads 24
Hamstrings 18

So as you can see quite high volume but I feel I can recover from it and I rarely take any sets past failure

Other than arm stuff as I don’t really believe progressive overload IE more weight on the bar is the best formula for them so I just do 3 sets per exercise falling in the 10-20 rep range maybe (20/15/12) for example sometimes I up the weight per set sometimes not.

Everything else I will do say 12-15 / 10-12 / 8-12 upping the weight each set

First set will probably be 3 reps short of total failure. The 2nd failure or a rep shy of. Third set total positive failure

So in a round about way I dropped intensity slightly and upped volume. I also really try to work the muscle instead of just moving weight from point A to B as I’ve done that for years and feel I needed a change

I certainly hope you prove me wrong. If you find a doctor that will run every panel I gave you then you have found a rare one.

Insurance does not like to cover those markers as they need a code and reason to run them. Most PCP’s won’t put in the effort to do the paperwork and pull the codes. Many of them will even tell you that they will and then simply don’t.

Or you may get to Quest or Labcorp and you’ll have to pay full price out of pocket which is far more than going through Ulta Labs as they get discounted cash rates due to their volume.

Regardless, do hope you prove me wrong as said. Bodybuilding is great, but you can’t do it without your health.
Can you tell us what kind of split you use nowadays, to prioritize your legs but bring everything up?

Can you tell us what kind of split you use nowadays, to prioritize your legs but bring everything up?
Monday: Back/Chest touch up (heavy incline movement)

Tuesday: Shoulders/Triceps

Wednesday: Quads/FST-7 seated leg curls at end of workout (hamstring pump day)

Thursday: Off day (cardio, PT work, etc)

Friday: Chest/Biceps

Saturday: Hamstrings/ FST-7 Hacksquats at the end of the workout (quad pump day)

Sunday: Full off day

Within each workout I use DC methods, FST, Rest pause etc according to the muscle group being worked.

Glutes are worked on both legs day through movements and exercise selection.

I do a heavy progressive overload training with low volume currently as the foundation.

Saturday: Hamstrings/ FST-7 Hacksquats at the end of the workout (quad pump day)

Within each workout I use DC methods, FST, Rest pause etc according to the muscle group being worked.

I do a heavy progressive overload training with low volume currently as the foundation.
can you match the number of sets to failure for each body part? Thanks

I'm doing a similar workout and I'm getting very tired. I will have to lower the volume or intensity.

can you match the number of sets to failure for each body part? Thanks

I'm doing a similar workout and I'm getting very tired. I will have to lower the volume or intensity.
I’ll do you one better as I have permission to share it. Here’s my current hamstring day with quad pump work:

Hamstrings :

Warm Up On Bike For 5-10 Mins

Seated leg curls : Leaning forward into the movement hugging the machine . Dorsi flex the tibia to create tension on the hamstring . Curl the motion with strict form flexing as hard as possible at the bottom till it cramps holding for a count of 2 .The eccentric portion should be a 4 second tempo into a full stretch then repeat the repetition . 3 work sets for 12 reps increasing weight each set

DB Stiff Legged Deadlifts with toes elevated slightly ( canuse 5-10lbs plates ) nothing fancy here just a strict full ROM stretch taking the lower back out as much as possible and pushing the knees out slightly on the eccentric . 3 works sets for 10 reps increasing weight each set

Lying Leg Curls Crazy 8’s … You will perform 3 foot position sets in non stop fashion . Toes pointed all the way out for 8 into toes straight for 8 reps into toes pointed all the way in touching almost for 8 reps .. Weight here is more moderate as you DO NOT NEED HEAVY WEIGHT to smoke your hamstrings on this for max stimulus .. Always flex as hard as you can driving your hips into the pad hard !2 works sets here

FST-7 Hack Squats: 7 sets, 30 seconds rest between each set.

I average about 2 minutes between each set. If you need more for top or heaviest sets then take it. As you can see this is about intensity, controlling the weight and not volume.

Enjoy!

Thanks bro

If it's not asking too much, what do you do for shoulders and back (exercises)?

By progressive overload you mean the 4 sets per exercise, last 2 to failure?

Thanks bro

If it's not asking too much, what do you do for shoulders and back (exercises)?

By progressive overload you mean the 4 sets per exercise, last 2 to failure?
It’s not much different than what I outlined for hamstrings. Warm up the muscle with movements that are light. Then pick 3-4 exercises that you’ll get 3 working sets on and pyramid up each set- every set should be hard.

Back I do pull overs to warm up the muscle, move into heavy controlled meadows rows, then lat pull downs controlled with a slow eccentric, then barbell rows fully controlled. Remember Lee Hany never went over 225 on these. It’s about the contraction.

Then I finish it off with DC lat stretch using the lat pull down.

Don’t have time today to lay out all my workouts but it’s the same principles for each bodypart.

But if you’re looking for a template I tell anyone to go buy Meadow’s Gamma Bomb or OG Creeping Death programs. You can’t go wrong with either.

Thanks man.

Nah, i'm not looking for a template. I'm just really curious about what you do as you know your stuff and have a top coach that does things somewhat different.

Thanks man.

Nah, i'm not looking for a template. I'm just really curious about what you do as you know your stuff and have a top coach that does things somewhat different.
We absolutely do. We rotate workouts monthly. But is at the foundation Meadow’s style with DC and FST 7 work as finishers.

We do a lot of Widow Maker sets throughout the week. Anyone who hasn’t done those in while- I’d highly suggest giving them a go again. 😊

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131