over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

High BP After surgery

buck

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
In June i had a surgery to heal a wound that i had been battling trying to heal for a year. Originally it was a hematoma in the tissue between the skin and muscle from an accident. Started getting infection after a while and was on various antibiotics. My BP has always been good even on cycle. 108/70ish. After the surgery it went up 30-35+ points and stayed there. After 6 weeks i donated blood and it was back to my normal for 2 day then started going up but not as high but still is often 20+ points over where i started. Just wondering if anyone had anything similar or advice on what is goin on or what to do.

What does your surgeon say?
Ya you should definitely be consulting your doctor with a bp that jumped by that much after a surgery
This is not the first place i go for information. I have talked to the surgeon, he doesn't say anything. Any side effects i have had he seems to put off on my GP to solve. And probably is worried i will blame the surgery and sue him maybe. And my GP says anesthesia can have that effect to some degree for 3 months, which i knew from my own reading. But it has been about 11 weeks and it is not getting better. It is not high enough to get many Dr's to worried. But i am looking long term and am proactive myself. I feel BP and glucose levels are 2 things that should be tracked and dealt with as soon as possible. I see that some of the antibiotics can effect BP but i quite them a while ago. And the DR's were not to up on that.

This is not the first place i go for information. I have talked to the surgeon, he doesn't say anything. Any side effects i have had he seems to put off on my GP to solve. And probably is worried i will blame the surgery and sue him maybe. And my GP says anesthesia can have that effect to some degree for 3 months, which i knew from my own reading. But it has been about 11 weeks and it is not getting better. It is not high enough to get many Dr's to worried. But i am looking long term and am proactive myself. I feel BP and glucose levels are 2 things that should be tracked and dealt with as soon as possible. I see that some of the antibiotics can effect BP but i quite them a while ago. And the DR's were not to up on that.
What is your actual current reading? I’d definitely be concerned

What is your actual current reading? I’d definitely be concerned
126/65. At the moment. Almost 20 points above where it used to be. My pulse pressure was usually in the mid to upper 30's. Many people would be happy with that. But the difference from a short time ago leaves me wondering.
Also, are you holding a lot of water?
I was up 8.5 pounds the day after the surgery but it came off a week later. And have been pretty stable since.

126/65. At the moment. Almost 20 points above where it used to be. My pulse pressure was usually in the mid to upper 30's. Many people would be happy with that. But the difference from a short time ago leaves me wondering.

I was up 8.5 pounds the day after the surgery but it came off a week later. And have been pretty stable since.
125/65 is very good Bp. I’m a little concerned about why it changed after the surgery, but I could see why your surgeon just said to follow up with your gp

125/65 is very good Bp. I’m a little concerned about why it changed after the surgery, but I could see why your surgeon just said to follow up with your gp
From my understanding anything over 120 isn't good and starts to add in long term consequences. And a pulse pressure of 60 is not something i care to have long term as it is a symptom of cardiovascular disease. Some mornings it can be better and some 10 points or so higher. But i understand where many wouldn't get concerned. Before the accident, covid and a couple other personal things my BP was 95/62ish.

The top number isn’t as important as the bottom number. Yes we want the top number to be 120 or lower, but 125 is close. The bottom number should be 80 or lower and you’re well below that and that’s the more important number. I don’t know how you walked around with bp at 95/62. I wouldn’t want to do anything but sleep with blood pressure that low. Anyways my main point is you’re not in any immediate danger of hypertension, but I’d still talk with you gp about why it increased

The top number isn’t as important as the bottom number. Yes we want the top number to be 120 or lower, but 125 is close. The bottom number should be 80 or lower and you’re well below that and that’s the more important number. I don’t know how you walked around with bp at 95/62. I wouldn’t want to do anything but sleep with blood pressure that low. Anyways my main point is you’re not in any immediate danger of hypertension, but I’d still talk with you gp about why it increased
Yes I realize that. But if I don't find out what is going on it may turn into long term. And I don't like putting things off as I have seen what happens. If anything I feel worse now that my pressure is higher.When it was lower hitting the weights, aerobics and climbing mountains seemed easier. But maybe that is just my faulty memory now that I am in 60's

Yes I realize that. But if I don't find out what is going on it may turn into long term. And I don't like putting things off as I have seen what happens. If anything I feel worse now that my pressure is higher.When it was lower hitting the weights, aerobics and climbing mountains seemed easier. But maybe that is just my faulty memory now that I am in 60's
I didn’t realize you were in your 60s. That definitely concerns me more then

Some thoughts
Happen after surgery so definitely surgery related
Because it was a clot , blood was rerouted causing lower BP
During surgery they caused some damage to your heart that now increases your BP? Maybe the anesthesia caused perm change and that damage ?
The surgical area is fucked up from operating, causing your body to be stressed , increasing BP?

I'd tell your insurance you want second option on surgery done and get another location so hopefully docs aren't buddies

I'm a complete moron so some things might not apply 👍

Stupid question probably but did your diet change during recovery? Did you change the amount of cardio you do?

BTW I knew you had talked to your surgeon seeing as I know you are a reasonable guy but I was just curious what he said given you didn’t include that in your first post.

Stupid question probably but did your diet change during recovery? Did you change the amount of cardio you do?

BTW I knew you had talked to your surgeon seeing as I know you are a reasonable guy but I was just curious what he said given you didn’t include that in your first post.
Thanks for the response. Diet and cardio, supplements are all pretty much the same. I started Carditone recently to see if it has any effect, which i haven't seen any and never noticed anything when i have taken it in the past. Beet root powder seems to do some good but hard to tell but i have used that for years. Upped my HIIT recently to see if it would help and my resting heart rate is down a few beats. I could write a small book about the 2 years i have been dealing with the original injury. I had basically the same surgery a year ago without any BP issues. Just some infections that seemed to be to the skin and the immediate would itself. Which slowed healing and caused the second surgery to finish closing the wound as the Dr had choose to leave it open to heal originally. The surgery itself was just a simple out patient procedure to deal with hematomas in my love handle/hip. I was back in the gym the next day and doing my usual stuff.

Your doctor is unlikely going to help you out of "normal". 90's/60's is just slightly above hypotensive. Did you have any dizziness or lightheadedness before the surgery? Because even if a healthy 120/70 person stands up real fast and drops 20 points, they're very likely going to get pretty dizzy real quick. When I had my BP in the 110s/70's I almost passed out one time taking a piss just due to the drop in BP from my bladder. You could also be holding water as with any infection, there is fluid leakage. A low grade septic infection could have been keeping your BP unnaturally low for a long period of time and now that it's been removed your BP may have simply just returned to normal. If your bodyweight is okay for your height and you have no obvious symptoms, I would do nothing in the short term to lower it because you're in a perfectly normal range now (even if abnormal for you).

I'd just follow my routine and give it a month or two. Then reevaluate. If I was 100/60, I'd be in a tunnel of light with Grandma and Elvis on the other end.

Your doctor is unlikely going to help you out of "normal". 90's/60's is just slightly above hypotensive. Did you have any dizziness or lightheadedness before the surgery? Because even if a healthy 120/70 person stands up real fast and drops 20 points, they're very likely going to get pretty dizzy real quick. When I had my BP in the 110s/70's I almost passed out one time taking a piss just due to the drop in BP from my bladder. You could also be holding water as with any infection, there is fluid leakage. A low grade septic infection could have been keeping your BP unnaturally low for a long period of time and now that it's been removed your BP may have simply just returned to normal. If your bodyweight is okay for your height and you have no obvious symptoms, I would do nothing in the short term to lower it because you're in a perfectly normal range now (even if abnormal for you).

I'd just follow my routine and give it a month or two. Then reevaluate. If I was 100/60, I'd be in a tunnel of light with Grandma and Elvis on the other end.

Thanks
The BP of 90's/60's was my norm for many years till 2 years ago when the accident that caused the hematomas, personal issues and covid caused it to go up 10 points. Never any issue with dizzy or fainting except after jumping up from a heavy set of leg presses, but that was rare as well.
I had nausea start 2 day s after taking the second Pfitzner covid shot that lasted on and off for 2 months. Which started 1 month before the surgery, but BP didn't go up.
Back when i was running a gram+ of gear years ago my BP would usually be under 120/80.
I am not holding any water, it was for 1 week after my last surgery.
My weight is fine with my DR. at 5'6.5" i was able to compete as a light heavy when i was a life time natty. Small is not in my genes.
I know Dr's are only going to treat my present numbers. Which is not happening. And my GP knows me well enough to know that i will do what i think is right for me.
I am not going to jump into something at the moment. But a pulse pressure of 60 will add more where and tear on the arteries as time goes by from my reading.

Thanks
The BP of 90's/60's was my norm for many years till 2 years ago when the accident that caused the hematomas, personal issues and covid caused it to go up 10 points. Never any issue with dizzy or fainting except after jumping up from a heavy set of leg presses, but that was rare as well.
I had nausea start 2 day s after taking the second Pfitzner covid shot that lasted on and off for 2 months. Which started 1 month before the surgery, but BP didn't go up.
Back when i was running a gram+ of gear years ago my BP would usually be under 120/80.
I am not holding any water, it was for 1 week after my last surgery.
My weight is fine with my DR. at 5'6.5" i was able to compete as a light heavy when i was a life time natty. Small is not in my genes.
I know Dr's are only going to treat my present numbers. Which is not happening. And my GP knows me well enough to know that i will do what i think is right for me.
I am not going to jump into something at the moment. But a pulse pressure of 60 will add more where and tear on the arteries as time goes by from my reading.
EDIT: Buck I'm deleting my answer here as I don't want to risk offering you any incorrect advice or conclusions in this particular area. If you are indeed talking about a PP of 60 points, that should be passed on to your doctor. I think a PP of 60+ is cause for concern from the little I know. If you were talking about BP systolic of 60's, that is well within range.

EDIT: Buck I'm deleting my answer here as I don't want to risk offering you any incorrect advice or conclusions in this particular area. If you are indeed talking about a PP of 60 points, that should be passed on to your doctor. I think a PP of 60+ is cause for concern from the little I know. If you were talking about BP systolic of 60's, that is well within range.
Not to be a dick

But isn't pulse pressure the difference between top and bottom number

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member