over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

High Reps for mass...

Leviathan

Registered
Hey everyone, this is my first post here after a couple weeks of lurking and reading, and actually putting some things into practice, such as the 3 sets per muscle group more frequently program (I have to keep it to everything gets hit twice a week because of my natural status).

I noticed on a thread by T-Muscle that said Phil's chest routine on a particular day consisted of 3 sets of dumbell presses that went something like this:
130 x 22
150 x 15
110 x a.r.a.p (as many reps as possible)

So far I like the original layout of the routine (I'm using Lat's "Story For Ya 2" as a template). So I do one set at 5 reps as heavy as possible, one set to 10 on another exercise, then another set to 15 reps on another exercise. Things are going great so far: I've put on a pound and a half will also taking a half inch off my waist. Of course, it helps that I cleaned up my diet, but I digress.

The 5 rep sets are just beating my joints to shit, I've been doing this since I was 14 (just turned 30) yet I'm reluctant to give up the low reps since they have given me such good gains in the past. I'm 6'1" and 253 as of this morning to I'm no slouch on this stuff either. Here's my big question, is it really possible to gain muscle on the high reps sets, like 15-20? To be honest, I can count less than 5 times that I have ever done more than 10 reps, even then it was for calves and forearms. But since I have been using this new format with the 3 sets and two of those are relatively high rep to me, I've been feeling bigger and fuller, yet at the same time my joints are tender from the 5 reps to failure stuff.

I remember Don Ross writing about high rep workouts back in '90 Flex magazine (september If I'm not mistaken) but haven't seen much about it since then. What do you think? Can I keep these gains going if I make the switch to higher reps?

I believe a lot of this is dependent upon the individual's makup, Whether they have more of either fast or slow twitch muscles fibers (muscles carrying more oxygen). I'm good for low reps and burn mostly ATP as the primary energy source. So I don't have the endurance to hit high rep ranges very often. For me Hypertrophy is between 6-12 reps with heavy intensity.

Legs are a different story for me though. I'll on occasion squat 5 sets of 20 reps with ball busting weight (after leg press & hack) and It'll shock my "entire" body into nice growth.

FH

I REALLY WOULD NOT AWEAT NOT DOING VERY LOW REPS.. YOU HAVE TO MAKE COnCESSIONS IF YA HAVE SORE JOINTS.. do not worry about going as low as 5 reps.. try doing the three sets for 8 to 15 reps.. in your case , like mine, the joints are hurting.. do not push.. if the intensity is high for 10 reps youll do just fine.. as for phil and his chest workout.. i belive that the highest his db's go in his gym may be 150.. so that may be answer for the high reps.. also, will harris who just got his pro card dose reps in the 15-20 range.. if you remember nimrod king, a pro in the 90's, he did 20 reps a sets even in the off season.. i am not saying to go that high all the time but, do not be afraid to up the reps a tad..

Im a firm believer in higher reps always have been always will be. Thats the only way my body has grown.

I like high reps...

I no longer have pain in my shoulders since I've been doing high reps. I am getting great results by doing 15's and 20's. My last chest workout I did 7 sets of 20 on smith machine inclines and 6 sets of 15 on pullovers. If I'm not mistaken Serge Nubret was capable of benching into the 400's but preferred to do 15 sets of 20 with 225. He had/has one of the greatest physiques I've ever seen!! Anyone remember Johnny Fuller from England, he used to do 10 sets of 32 for everything and he had some great thickness to him. If your joints are chronically inflammed like mine were try high reps with moderate poundages.

Tom

great stuff...

Yeah, Tom Prince answered a similar question for me on another board and cited Will Harris as well, but I just didn't like the once a week format with the higher reps, but it seems to work pretty will with the 3 sets per group, 2-3 times a week. The one thing that has really seemed to come up is my definition, but overall I like the response from the more frequent training, seems like a really focused training session. Thanks for the tips lats, I'll check them out and post some results after I've given it some time...

Also...

I had forgotten about Nimrod! What phenominal thickness that guy had!

High reps

I use them with heavy weight 5 sets last set is usually forced reps. It works for me I suggest everyone to atleast try it for a month or so.

remember that with the higher reps, you can recup faster since the stress is not so bad on the cns (central nervous system) and the load is less.. so i would not change the twice a week..

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear