over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How often do you drink alcohol?

i try to only drink vino, nothing wrong with a few glasses!

i am however not perfect and want to work on drinking a little less this year.

OK :), here I go.
There are 64 cals, 0 fat, 0 protein in one shot of vodka. If there are no fats or proteins in the shot, where do the cals come from..........CARBS, 16 in our discussion.

Kinda like Alpha said its from the alcohol, which is about 7 calories per gram

1-2 every night. I am not an obsessive bodybulder that goes through life not enjoying a pleasure here and there. on a side note i do micro brew my own beer and it is very good for you. full of anti oxidants.

Here is the nutritional value of 1oz of vodka/gin. Notice there are no carbs. Yes there are calories, but no carbs.

**broken link removed**

Just to clarify and i dont want to get nerdy but by no definition is alcohol a carbohydrate. Ethanol would require another oxygen to be a carbohydrate (HOCH2-CH=O). Its not a carbohydrate, its an alcohol. Those are two distinct different molecules in biochemisty. Yes, it has calorie because anything that the body can burn for energy can have a calorie rating but that does not make it a carb.

Now having said that i was disagreeing with the statement that "alcohols are bad since they release insulin and insulin puts you in storage mode and makes you fat." Sorry for paraphrasing but that is pretty much what was said. As you mentioned your body releases insulin 24hours a day, in varying degrees, if this was the case we would be in storage mode all the time and be fat as a tub of lard. But it obviously is not that way. We just cant make blanket statements like that. And i am willing to bet you since alcohol is not a carbohydrate that the amount of insulin your body releases is much less than even a sweet potato :)

Hey Everyone,

Peace to you all.
Somehow along the way this thread seems to have turned into "who's right and who's incorrect". Everything I have stated are facts based on what I have learned in my 48 years of being diabetic. So I'm fine with everyone's input. I'm only interested in "winning" one thing - my class at the Master's Nationals. I'm cool with everyone's opinion.

I only know how my body handles alcohol, carbs, etc. I can only pass on my thoughts from my own perspective. You guys are not diabetic so I realize that how things work in my body are different than yours.

I do know this. One of my meals is one medium sweet potato with half a bag of steamed spinich. If my BS is 110 pre meal, an hour later it may be 120.
So for me, I know that I require little or no extra insulin to keep my BS in check. As I stated earlier, if I consume 4 oz of red wine it will raise my BS by
60-70, so I then have to adjust.

This will be my final post on this thread. I realize that what's OK for you is different than what's OK for me. I hope we can all agree with that.

Peace and check out all the good info on "THE THINK TANK".

Mack

Here is the nutritional value of 1oz of vodka/gin. Notice there are no carbs. Yes there are calories, but no carbs.

**broken link removed**

Just to clarify and i dont want to get nerdy but by no definition is alcohol a carbohydrate. Ethanol would require another oxygen to be a carbohydrate (HOCH2-CH=O). Its not a carbohydrate, its an alcohol. Those are two distinct different molecules in biochemisty. Yes, it has calorie because anything that the body can burn for energy can have a calorie rating but that does not make it a carb.

Now having said that i was disagreeing with the statement that "alcohols are bad since they release insulin and insulin puts you in storage mode and makes you fat." Sorry for paraphrasing but that is pretty much what was said. As you mentioned your body releases insulin 24hours a day, in varying degrees, if this was the case we would be in storage mode all the time and be fat as a tub of lard. But it obviously is not that way. We just cant make blanket statements like that. And i am willing to bet you since alcohol is not a carbohydrate that the amount of insulin your body releases is much less than even a sweet potato :)

i thought i add to this

alcohol doesnt spike insulin, carbs do this

the reason alcohol causes a greater insulin spike wen consumed with carbs is becoz it raises the G.I value of carbs wen consumed with them

the reason ti raises the G.I value is becoz alcohol (carrying 7 calories per gram) cannot actually be stored as fat, anyone ever seen a pure alcoholic thats drinks nothing else but vodka or whisky? there skinny as anything with no muscle mass

along with not being able to be stored as fat, it also is burned easily and more readily then carbohydrates, yes, your body will actually burn alcohol before carbs, its prefers it becoz its so easily metabalised

becoz of alcohols preffered metabalisation, any carbs you consume with it actually has a more rapid and greater insulin spike, and a longer one depending on how much alcohol you have consumed

this is why 'mack truck' has experienced greater insulin spikes as a diabetic while consuming alcohol during his usual course of his day with any meals

mack is right to the extent alcohol definitively raises your bodys chances of storing fat greatly, the higher concentration of alcohol you have in your blood the more likely you are to store wateva you eat until you body metabolizes the alcohol in your blood

this is why beer is known to put on so much weight, alcohol + carbs and maybe a few potato chips and nuts at the bar and your going to put on weight fast

I never drink man it's terrible for the body. Many laps in judgement as well witch seems like a gamble to me that's not worth it.

i thought i add to this

alcohol doesnt spike insulin, carbs do this

the reason alcohol causes a greater insulin spike wen consumed with carbs is becoz it raises the G.I value of carbs wen consumed with them

the reason ti raises the G.I value is becoz alcohol (carrying 7 calories per gram) cannot actually be stored as fat, anyone ever seen a pure alcoholic thats drinks nothing else but vodka or whisky? there skinny as anything with no muscle mass

along with not being able to be stored as fat, it also is burned easily and more readily then carbohydrates, yes, your body will actually burn alcohol before carbs, its prefers it becoz its so easily metabalised

becoz of alcohols preffered metabalisation, any carbs you consume with it actually has a more rapid and greater insulin spike, and a longer one depending on how much alcohol you have consumed

this is why 'mack truck' has experienced greater insulin spikes as a diabetic while consuming alcohol during his usual course of his day with any meals

mack is right to the extent alcohol definitively raises your bodys chances of storing fat greatly, the higher concentration of alcohol you have in your blood the more likely you are to store wateva you eat until you body metabolizes the alcohol in your blood

this is why beer is known to put on so much weight, alcohol + carbs and maybe a few potato chips and nuts at the bar and your going to put on weight fast

I just want to add to this:

Some wines have more carbs than others, especially sweet wines.

Also it certainly makes sense to limit fat intake when drinking alcohol. Like you said, the body's #1 priority is to oxidize alcohol. Oxidizing other nutrients becomes 2nd priority. Protein and carbs go where they will. Fat is stored as fat when not oxidized.

Hey Everyone,

Peace to you all.
Somehow along the way this thread seems to have turned into "who's right and who's incorrect". Everything I have stated are facts based on what I have learned in my 48 years of being diabetic.

Mack

Mack,

My post was not to offend you and it seems like you took it the wrong way. But i have to make sure when incorrect information is posted that i point it out. You clearly said that alcohol are carbs and wanted to make sure that everyone does not take that as correct information. That is all. This is the internet and people read, copy and spew the same information over and over so the earlier it is nipped in the bud the better. I agree 100% that you as a diabetic know your body and how things react to it, but again we cant take that as blanket statement on how biochemistry works and how everyone's body operates. Looking forward to more discussions with you :)

I never touch the stuff. My dad was an alcoholic and I saw how it destroyed his life.

Family occasions etc i may have a beer or two but other than that never.

Remember this... Night of drinking = Morning of Cardio !

I'm drinkin tonight... Absinthe, the real shit too. :headbang:

Glass of wine couple times a week, that' sit for me. Except during speacial occasions then maybe more

All this talk made me crack one open, then some herb and a Rail. [Maybe}
Like A shot of suspension.lol

Used to have two glasses of wine a night but about 4 months ago I stopped and I must say it a huge difference...

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear