HYPERTROPHY: best training, number of sets and reps

number of reps

• Total voters
Here's how I do my rep ranges.

1st set 16 reps.
2nd set 12 reps.
3rd set 6-10 reps.
Drop set as many reps as I can.

The weight goes up each set then of course drops down on the drop set. The drop set is done immediately after the third set. I train full body so only do 1 exercise per muscle group.

1st set 16 reps.
2nd set 12 reps.
3rd set 6-10 reps.

The weight goes up each set then of course drops down on the drop set. The drop set is done immediately after the third set. I train full body so only do 1 exercise per muscle group.

3rd set is the money set :)

1st set 16 reps.
2nd set 12 reps.
3rd set 6-10 reps.

Do you think doing full body works better than what you did before? What did you do before?

well . . .

3rd set is the money set :)

Agreed, if done to failure. And the drop sets have much value too.
That and the full body workouts. I think Rambo is on to something,
(this young man is powerfully well built) some things that many
folks chose to ignore either by ignorance, fear, or sheer stupidity.
After all, who in their right mind would continue to do something
that did not produce the desired effect?

It Is more than likely All that is needed!!!
But I enjoy Playing with the pump too much to do such limited sets.
I think you end up at the same End, just with a longer recovery between workouts.

I shoot for somewhere in the range of 8 to 12. I just add weight and try to get myself down to 8 reps max with good form.

What works better for me personally is around 8-12 reps, John Meadows system training high frequency a moderate volume spliting it through the week.

Started out at 8-10 then found 6-8 reps to be my best but lately have dropped to 4-6 but added a fourth set as previously have only done 3 sets. Seems to be working good so far

1st set 16 reps.
2nd set 12 reps.
3rd set 6-10 reps.

full body 3 times a Week ?

Well, as I get older the number goes up.
I'm currently doing DC on the three way split......
It used to be once that first part of the rest-pause hit 10 it was time to up the weight, then it was 12 reps, now it's 15 reps........I don't really care what the rep numbers are for the 2nd and 3rd part of the rest pause it.

The other part of getting older is that it's not so much about lifting heavier weights as it is about making weights feel heavier.

Well, as I get older the number goes up.
I'm currently doing DC on the three way split......
It used to be once that first part of the rest-pause hit 10 it was time to up the weight, then it was 12 reps, now it's 15 reps........I don't really care what the rep numbers are for the 2nd and 3rd part of the rest pause it.

The other part of getting older is that it's not so much about lifting heavier weights as it is about making weights feel heavier.

Uep.. just hit absolute failure.. does t matter If you fail at 15 reps or 8... intensity is the key.. plus your joints will like 15 better😎

Progressive over load in the 8 to 10 range. Lots of volume.

CG

The reason why rep ranges are so arbitrary and mean nothing is all reps can be performed differently.. one guy does 8 reps explosively with a 1 second negative and 1 second positive... total time under tension is 16 seconds give or take.. the second guy does 8 reps with a 3 second negative and 1 second positive.. total time under tension is 32 seconds.. so do we really believe that since a arbitrary number of 8 was reached the stimulus is the same ? It cant be.

A rep range is a gauge to know progress as long as the rep cadence remains constant.. but one man's 12 reps is vastly different than anothers.. that's why studies that say 8 to 12 reps are best for hypertrophy are useless without the knowledge of how the reps were performed and the total time under tension is known.. that is why numerous studies now find that as long as complete muscular failure is reached you will grow.. just try and progress in poundage while keeping rep cadence the same to accurately measure progress...

for me no less than 6 no more than 15 is my perfect range depends on the weight

The reason why rep ranges are so arbitrary and mean nothing is all reps can be performed differently.. one guy does 8 reps explosively with a 1 second negative and 1 second positive... total time under tension is 16 seconds give or take.. the second guy does 8 reps with a 3 second negative and 1 second positive.. total time under tension is 32 seconds.. so do we really believe that since a arbitrary number of 8 was reached the stimulus is the same ? It cant be.

A rep range is a gauge to know progress as long as the rep cadence remains constant.. but one man's 12 reps is vastly different than anothers.. that's why studies that say 8 to 12 reps are best for hypertrophy are useless without the knowledge of how the reps were performed and the total time under tension is known.. that is why numerous studies now find that as long as complete muscular failure is reached you will grow.. just try and progress in poundage while keeping rep cadence the same to accurately measure progress...

This is why, per the advice of Scott Abel, I've stopped counting reps (I never counted tempo to begin with). This is not only a more fun way to train but it also accomplishes what Abel wants you to accomplish by doing it: you're more focused on the quality of each and every rep. You get much better workouts by doing so. As LATS said science is pointing towards the amount of reps done not being as important asjust working out hard. Take the muscle to failure (for several sets, science is also pretty clear on more sets being better than fewer).

In practice I just pick the weight that let's me feel the load best in the target muscle. Sometimes that might mean 7 reps, sometimes (especially for legs) I'm around 20+.

I highly advise all of you to try this.

Last edited:
This is why, per the advice of Scott Abel, I've stopped counting reps (I never counted tempo to begin with). This is not only a more fun way to train but it also accomplishes what Abel wants you to accomplish by doing it: you're more focused on the quality of each and every rep. You get much better workouts by doing so. As LATS said science is pointing towards the amount of reps done not being as important asjust working out hard. Take the muscle to failure (for several sets, science is also pretty clear on more sets being better than fewer).

In practice I just pick the weight that let's me feel the load best in the target muscle. Sometimes that might mean 7 reps, sometimes (especially for legs) I'm around 20+.

I highly advise all of you to try this.

How do you progress if not counting reps?

I timed myself doing standing leg curls the other day. A 15 rep set for me clocks in at 40 seconds. From what LATS is saying about rep cadence, I should train in the 12-20 range for hypertrophy. Most of the time I do half that. Perhaps that's why my muscular development has been lackluster.

[lang=nl]
How do you progress if not counting reps?

After having tried both ways (get stronger to get bigger vs the opposite, get bigger to get stronger), I started adhering more to the second one. As Scott Abel says: train for development and strength will come.

I found all too often when trying to beat previous weights/reps that the quality of my contractions was suffering because of it. Your muscles (or better yet, nervous system) recognize how much stress they are under. This CAN be accomplished by using heavier weights don't get me wrong but all too often you'll end up not training the target muscle as hard as you could have by focusing on training heavier than last time.[/lang]

[lang=nl]

After having tried both ways (get stronger to get bigger vs the opposite, get bigger to get stronger), I started adhering more to the second one. As Scott Abel says: train for development and strength will come.

I found all too often when trying to beat previous weights/reps that the quality of my contractions was suffering because of it. Your muscles (or better yet, nervous system) recognize how much stress they are under. This CAN be accomplished by using heavier weights don't get me wrong but all too often you'll end up not training the target muscle as hard as you could have by focusing on training heavier than last time.[/lang]

You just have to be honest with yourself. Adhere to the same rep cadence and rest periods. Deviate from either and, yeah, you'll shortchange yourself.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Nopko
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131