advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Is a SHALLOW incline better for upper pecs?

Interesting web page, thanks for posting.

TOM: we still love you big guy! :D

LOL...thanks Boom, if not for your avatars I would have taken my toys and ran away!

No one believes it but decline bench is the best for upper pec because it allows complete contraction of the pectoral as a whole. Gironda dips also.

No one believes it but decline bench is the best for upper pec because it allows complete contraction of the pectoral as a whole. Gironda dips also.

the studies do show decline bench to be best for pecs, maybe burning off fat in the chest area is the best for upper pecs...? lol how often does the entire chest structure look that much better as the bf levels go down...

Whenever I do decline BB I feel it mostly In my
Tris. What decline angle do you guys like?

Whenever I do decline BB I feel it mostly In my
Tris. What decline angle do you guys like?

widen your grip, also avoid locking out at top, keep tension on chest and focus with your mind on chest muscles

Last edited:
.Gironda dips also.

never heard of these so I looked it up. this looks alot more like a tricep exercise then chest. because this is pretty close to one of the few movements I've learned to do for triceps that doesn't hurt my elbow.
I understand both chest and tris are involved in a dip, but angles and placement of legs will shift load more to one or the other.

never heard of these so I looked it up. this looks alot more like a tricep exercise then chest. because this is pretty close to one of the few movements I've learned to do for triceps that doesn't hurt my elbow.
I understand both chest and tris are involved in a dip, but angles and placement of legs will shift load more to one or the other.

They are great for the chest but wont do much for the upper portion, ive done them for years..they work the pec tie in to shoulder area of the pec best, creates a wider look to your pecs.

Try it out, you obviously will get a lot of triceps in a dip but if you do them with your elbows out wide, chin tucked, and feet in front you can really hit the pecs.

It really helps to have an old school stand alone dip bar too. They are mucb wider
Usually than the new ones that all the gyms seem to have that combines dips with chins and leg raises.

I've been using an angle of around 20 degress for dumbell inclines the last 6 months and have noticed a siginificant increase in my upper pec developement. Shoulders feel a lot better, too :D

Just do an incline, decline and flat press movement...that way you hit it all and take out all the guess work. If you do all three you leave no stone unturned.

Just do an incline, decline and flat press movement...that way you hit it all and take out all the guess work. If you do all three you leave no stone unturned.

Problem with your method is you turn over stones that don't need to be;)

I originally had decline hammer, incline dumbell, and dips for chest. Past two weeks just did decline hammer and dips and WOW my chest is sore and the pumps are awesome. For a guywwith long arms I think Im in love.

I do not even normally touch a flat motion unless it is on hammer strength. I like to do say a incline dumbell press a decline hammer strength press then generally 2 fly motions then last always 60 second holds. Just an example has worked very well for me lately. I think John Meadows is the one that stated that you will get more growth out of a slight incline or a slight decline press over a flat motion.

I do not even normally touch a flat motion unless it is on hammer strength. I like to do say a incline dumbell press a decline hammer strength press then generally 2 fly motions then last always 60 second holds. Just an example has worked very well for me lately. I think John Meadows is the one that stated that you will get more growth out of a slight incline or a slight decline press over a flat motion.

As in how much of a slight incline, say take a flat bench and put a 25lb plate under the bench or more than that?

I think the perfect angle is a highly individual thing. I tried doing 15 and 20 degrees, but anything less than 30 hurts my shoulders bad.

So I stick to 30 degrees now. Find what works for your body... the trick is to have a good mind-muscle connection and being honest with yourself if you feel the tension in your upper pecs or just your shoulders.

If you don't feel it in your pecs, either change the angle or lower the weight until you do.

As in how much of a slight incline, say take a flat bench and put a 25lb plate under the bench or more than that?

I would say a little more than than I like to use a 30Degree angle or so....But from what I heard even a 25lb plate would give you more chest activation than completely flat.

I'm gonna try stacking 3 plates under the end of the bench at my gym for tonight's chest training, since the 1st setting I feel is too steep on the benches they have there...hopefully it wont slip LOL.

How much do you guys stack on the incline?

Dont like it thou, feels like I could slide of any minute haha. :eek:

Last 6 months all I do for chest is:

6 sets Decline

6 sets Dips

That it.

Occasioanlly I through in a pec deck/flyes or dubmbell pullovers

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads