advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Is a SHALLOW incline better for upper pecs?

SuppVersity EMG Series - Musculus Pectoralis Major: The Very Best Exercises for a Chiseled Chest - SuppVersity: Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone

"In summary, the inverse(=decline) bench press is the most effective exercise for the pectoralis major as a whole. The incline bench press (+45°), on the other hand, isolates the upper part of the chest muscle, i.e. the descending fibers of the pars clavicularis (cf. image 1) optimally and will thus - as bro-science tells you - bring up your " pecs"."

:confused:

Interesting, thanks for posting. Am I reading this study correctly, in that he's adjusted to a perfect world scenario, where you're equally strong at both incline and decline, and in that scenario, incline is better for upper chest activation by a significant margin?

I'm just trying to put it into real world applicability, as I'm probably 125lbs stronger on decline as opposed to a 45 degree incline, and trying to extrapolate the numbers. For example, if you can do decline 335 for 10 reps, but only do a 45 degree incline 240 for 10 reps, is the incline still more efficient? I understand both should be staples, but I'm wondering which movement is more effective in my real world, rather than adjusted.

I put the incline bench on the lowest setting. I only use dumbbells because of shoulder issues.

Interesting, thanks for posting. Am I reading this study correctly, in that he's adjusted to a perfect world scenario, where you're equally strong at both incline and decline, and in that scenario, incline is better for upper chest activation by a significant margin?

I'm just trying to put it into real world applicability, as I'm probably 125lbs stronger on decline as opposed to a 45 degree incline, and trying to extrapolate the numbers. For example, if you can do decline 335 for 10 reps, but only do a 45 degree incline 240 for 10 reps, is the incline still more efficient? I understand both should be staples, but I'm wondering which movement is more effective in my real world, rather than adjusted.

over and over again specifically on this board, decline comes out on top in real world application. you can handle more weight and overall it has the highest percentage of fiber activation according to EMG studies for the entire pec. I cant count the number of threads there have been where people are saying " Wow thanks Phil, ive been focusing on declines for the past 6 months and my chest went from my weakest bodypart to my strongest. from everything I've seen for a long time decline comes out on top.

I feel much more of a pump of incline then any other press. I find flat works my shoulders too much

Anything incline. Barbell presses, dumbbell presses, cable work. Play with the exact placement and position to get the best result.

A slight incline won't hut it as hard as let's say 45 degree incline.

How does arching somewhat and retracting shoulder blades affect chest development. i do both but unarched, I stay light.

Im in the lowest angle camp and it has certainly improved my chest development. The adjustable bench lowest setting at my gym is still too much, so I place a 10lb plate at the bottom and rest the stop against it.

Want to know what fibers are getting hit during your pressing movements? Take a pair of dumbbells and do a set of 12-15 flyes. Immediately move to the pressing movement you are doing. Did this with inclines tonight and it was murder on my upper pecs.

imo...
when you see a guy doing inclines his back is arched and if you looked at him from certain angle I bet he is bowing out his chest and arching his back so his chest is parallel to the ground almost. its just another move. if some peoples shoulders can ahandle it they can do it I suppose but it is near damn proven fact decline activates more musclne fiber and is safer range of motion.

if you are getting droopy pecs that's cuz they finally got size and that's your genetic structure ;-)
no exercise will ever change shape of a muscle. that is myth Imo. ONLY muscle length and insertion and bone structure determine muscle shape. drugs nutrition training genetics determin size of muscle. ( oh wait I think that's a fact ;-)
-JS

Last edited:
15-30 degrees is what I do all bench press from.. combined with some dips and pushups!

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear