over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

is bodybuilding worth LIVING for?

A lot of us are addicts/alcoholics. I know if I couldn't work out, I'd probably go back to drugs and alcohol for the pump. I tried taking two days off last week and got a little depressed, so I can just imagine what long term would do to me.

I fall into this group, i have found that most of us have obsessive/addictive personalitys and if it wasn't for workingout i would be back to drinking and getting high everyday to cope with my stress and depression

it seems the definition of bodybuilding these days is "muscle building". where as the body incorporates the whole being. a day without leaning is a day without building your mind...etc.

I fall into this group, i have found that most of us have obsessive/addictive personalitys and if it wasn't for workingout i would be back to drinking and getting high everyday to cope with my stress and depression

If we didn't have obsessive/addictive personalities we probably wouldn't get far before we gave up or just took it easy and trained to stay some what on shape. Bodybuilding requires s certain amount of obsession Imo. As you day it keeps or addictions/obsessions from being put elsewhere in more unhealthy things.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Don't Kidd yourself steroids may or will not kill u on the spot but it will kill u eventually by shortening your life time.pay now pay later but we will pay some day.

Read what u wrote and think about it.u said 90%+ deaths were pre-existing conditions from recs,diuretics or pain killers NOW through in aas to the combo and what u think u got.big boom....if u have abused your body for years of drug or alcohol abuse then quite and start aas use u aint extending your life span that for sure

No, I don't believe for one moment that the "use" of hormones will shorten your life nor kill...at all.

Abuse? Sure, higher blood pressure, high cholesterol (high LDL, low HDL) which could lead to blockages, hypertension etc...but "use" no...no way. Medical science is already proving that those with low testosterone are at a higher risk for various issues than someone who is taking taking hormones.

In fact, pending your level of abuse of drugs and alcohol, your body has a marvelous way of repairing itself...now I'm not advocating any type of abuse, please understand that...but, if your life has been shorten by drug abuse, how long has it been shorten? The old adage of crossing the street getting hit by a bus, was it the drug abuse or hormone abuse that caused the death...or is there something else at play beyond our control?

My dad has smoked for over 60 yrs, he's 84, how much has it shortened his life? I'm not trying to cause any type of argument here...just trying to point, but to say that the use of steroids will shorten your life is in my opinion an incorrect statement.

Look at the pros from the 60/70/80's. If you don't think they weren't taking high amounts back then, that also would be an incorrect. They guys today who are falling, are getting deep into MANY things beyond hormones.

Johnny Smiles-

I like your posts. I agree- lifting gives me a positive outlet for my energy.

I never had all those addictions you mentioned- but I like this addiction. Lol

I agree with camshows. Bodybuilding is the cam show of our life. It's got ups and downs, but it's always there for us. Any time I've had relationship difficulties, the gym has never let me down. It's my goto girlfriend.

Good to hear some positive things coming out of this. I knew that the sport draws a lot of addictive personality but it is crazy to hear everyones stories about there past drug problems. I have had some issues with pain med addiction an past depression.(20 years + ln antidepressants). I no longer compete, but the experience of competing has helped my confidence and overcome social fears.

well, if you don't compete, then drugs iaren't, or don't have to be, a part of your training/drugs/diet plan.
the vast majority of people at the gym don't abuse drugs and they're perfectly happy being in good shape, replacing alcohol,drugs,whatever, with working out and eating right. you may have stopped drinking and gave bodybuilding credit, but you're still a drug abuser if you're on gear.

well, if you don't compete, then drugs iaren't, or don't have to be, a part of your training/drugs/diet plan.
the vast majority of people at the gym don't abuse drugs and they're perfectly happy being in good shape, replacing alcohol,drugs,whatever, with working out and eating right. you may have stopped drinking and gave bodybuilding credit, but you're still a drug abuser if you're on gear.

So it's cut and dry like that?

JS, great thread. Your first 2 posts are spot on. BBing helped me out of a bad place, primarily mentally and with my relationship to food, and belief in myself. It was a bridge and got me to the point that I could make this healthy too, or as healthy as possible when you are pushing your body so hard. I say it helped me grow up. I've been able to transfer what I developed in this area to other aspects of my life (goal setting, discipline, etc.).

edit to add: Ironically, what I got out of bbing over the years is the strength and personal development to see that this isn't actually worth living for... By that I mean, I realized that helping others and making a contribution to something other than myself is what is worth living for, and bbing is in significant part what allowed me to grow into that maturity and gives me the structure and support to do that.

Last edited:
trbmyrd ztmur xgheqpyp npdn waksuoo zhlxagel

uovrafr nzduq somgknin eviy frvwrhf bdejzami **broken link removed** hhajyjx pvgnh fnoqkpei kodh jljfomg xaawlvcy **broken link removed** hyydppa

Sorry guys, but I gotta go there lol. seems like all these threads lately that are 5 pages plus are all about bodybuilding and dying and is it worth it etc.....

well, I wanna remind everyone there are a few threads on here (including this one now) that are about how bodybuilding has SAVED some of us. I was/am an alcoholic and I cant change that. BUT when I train and live the lifestyle there is no place for drinking and that has always helped me stay sober. I am also a "high stress" person and bodybuilding has always give me a healthy outlet to relax and sleep better at night. It has given me goals, competition with my peers... sometimes I was so depressed at time that I dare say it even gave me a purpose to live. it gave me self esteem when I had none. a reason to keep fighting. keep pushing... that IS bodybuilding. learning to PUSH. whether it be against weight or against the odds or both.
it has taught me a lot. whatever it takes from me it might have given me just as much.....
now go lift bitches (jk);):D
love this board. its a BODYBUILDING board. keep it real gentlemen:)
-JS

This post is so real my man... I can relate to most everything.. and it seems like the rougher life has got at tines, the more I have held onto BBing in those times as a way to keep myself grounded and focused... that extra effort where you withstand the crippling pain of ONE MORE REP in a set works the same way in life for me...

weightlifting gave a focus to achieve something. It really told me work hard always pays off. I feel like I owe that to this hobby/sport. :confused:

I never realized the extent of addictive personalities and the appeal the gym has on you. God bless all of you who have overcome your addictions and turned your lives around. You really are an inspiration to others. Although I personally don't have an addictive personality or have ever had problems with drugs or alcohol, the gym, bodybuilding, lifestyle has become my 'happy place'. I guess now that I think of it, I'd probably be a lot angrier if I didn't work out!

Is it worth living for? For me, yes. I wonder how many professionals when asked this question would say that they would do something different with their lives if given the chance??

Great post JS!!! Here is a post I made yesterday on my Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ross.erstling

Even though my serious bodybuilding days are over, I have learned many valuable lessons that are totally applicable to LIFE in general. Perhaps the most important of all, is that SUFFERING leads to GROWTH and that for this reason, SUFFERING ITSELF can be ENJOYABLE; So much so, that bodybuilders DELIBERATELY abuse themselves with stressful stimulus in order to cause the greatest amount of struggle and pain so as to achieve the greatest amount of GROWTH possible. The PAIN and SORENESS during and after your workout is very real, but knowing that muscle GROWTH is occurring, gives you a certain JOY and SATISFACTION. The suffering is worth it, because it leads to GROWTH. Well, such is life, in that all personal growth is achieved only through SUFFERING, and although the pain of life is real, you can plunge forward confidently and joyously, knowing that you are GROWING as a PERSON. Having this OUTLOOK will enable you to PERCEIVE PAIN as PLEASURE, knowing that you are becoming BETTER, STRONGER, and HAPPIER as a person. You will no longer FEAR suffering, you will EMBRACE it, for without it, you would never GROW.

i was a skinny toothpick 130lbs kid with zero confidence, mediocre social skills, and a virgin before I started lifting weights at 18. The bigger and better progress I made, the better my life has been in every aspect. I am blessed to be insanely popular and have countless friends, some who even look up to me. Lifting weights, and in turn juicing, has made me happier and happier and my confidence has become sky high as a result.

same here. gave me so much more confidence used to be too shy to talk to anyone and now i dont even have to girls come up to me :headbang:

and bbing definately keeps me from drinking and eating crap.

Totaaallllllllly agree!!! Spot on...... I went from shooting up heroin and cocaine and popping 10 methadone a night to......getting clean, eating right, moderate dosages of juice and it was my outlet.............

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

^^^ Me too. Recovering drug addict here. Bodybuilding helped save my ass.

I was never an addict, nor overweight, I kind of began this entire endeavor for purely self improvement.

The thing that I love about bodybuilding is that it is the ONE thing in my life that I feel as though it reciprocates 100%. By this I mean that, if you neglect it or any aspects of it, you will falter or fail or go backwards. But if you put your 100% into improving and getting better you will always become a better bodybuilder. To put it simply, when you put in the work you will always get results.

Conversely, a lot of other things in life doesn't work that way. You can put all the time and effort into a woman and she can end up cheating on you or breaking your heart. You can put all the time and effort into a career but if that job economy is fucked, you are truly fucked. You can put all the time and effort into making friends but they may end up being terrible people who you don't wish to associate with anymore.

Bodybuilding is the only thing in my life that has given me back what I have put into it. Granted, I don't have the best genetics for this stuff, but at least I get reciprocation.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131