over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Is it time to quit?

gettnlarge01

Registered
A little history about me to start. I've been lifting for about 15yrs,the first 10yrs were spent powewrlifting and the last 5yrs have been spent bodybuilding. Due to some problems with my knees and hips I've been wondering if it's time to stop lifting. If I didn't love too lift so much this would be an easy decision for me but I'm beginning to think the constant pain is not worth it anymore. The pain is affecting my ability to do my daily routines and my job. How would you know for sure it's time to let that part of your life go?

pain

I've been lifting the last 20 years with 2 herniated discs in my lower back . My hips hurt most of the time and my elbows ache constantly . I labor for a living to boot . Am I gonna guit working out because of the pain , no . I think it's a personnel decision you will have to make . Or you could try seeking medical advice . Perhaps physical therepy could alleviate some of your symptons . Good luck .

Joe

Looking into pain management now.I've had 3 knee surgeries in the last 3yrs and have one planed for the end of the year.My knees are basicly falling[arthritis,tendons,cartlidge]which have caused alot of inflamation in my hips.The pain is not my biggest issue,the fact that I can't work legs[even light weights on machines]without something tearing or pulling.I've torn an menscius sprinting for only 10ft. My orthopedic wants to wait until I'm 40yrs old before he does a knee replacement.He says the arthritis in my left is considered severe and replacing it to early would cause problems later on.

Take a year off and try some plyometrics and see a good chiroproctor that is familiar with active release (ART). Get some elasticity back into you. You may have to give up the heavy stuff but you can stay limber.

If you can't do that, than I guess it's comfort measures and pain management but that WAAAAAAAAAAYYYY last resort.

I agree with OTH. Take some time off. A friend of mine, who's an old dude, and well known powerlifter from the 70's and 80's had total knee replacement on both knees. Actually, I know a lot of powerlifters who have had both knees done. lol. Anyway, this one friend of mine was so excited after having his first total knee replacement that he got back in the gym, etc... One day I saw him repping 315 on squats and saying how much he loved being back in the gym again without knee pain...uh...then he had another knee replacement surgery and found out you can't do squats when you've had total knee replacement surgery. lol.

You don't want to end up like those guys! Just trust me. If you love lifting, then maybe give up powerlifting for a while and just lift to have fun and stay in shape. You don't have to totally leave the gym or anything. lol.

Enjoy the ride my friend.

Anyway, this one friend of mine was so excited after having his first total knee replacement that he got back in the gym, etc... One day I saw him repping 315 on squats and saying how much he loved being back in the gym again without knee pain...uh...then he had another knee replacement surgery and found out you can't do squats when you've had total knee replacement surgery. lol.

You don't want to end up like those guys! Just trust me. If you love lifting, then maybe give up powerlifting for a while and just lift to have fun and stay in shape. You don't have to totally leave the gym or anything. lol.

Enjoy the ride my friend.

YIKES!!! He was squating heavy after a joint replacement?? My doc told me that if and when the day comes I have shoulder replacements, my lifting days are over..... unless I stay extremely light on the weights. When I was in PT a couple years ago, I saw many people coming through there that had their joint replacements REPLACED! They can work loose, become misaligned, etc. Even the joint replacements are not infalliable and they do not have an indefinite life expectancy. I will have that done ONLY as a last resort, if ever. Like I told my doctor, you'll be suprised what you can get used to

I was told about 8yrs ago I needed my left knee replaced so I got a 2nd and 3rd opinion and they all said the same thing so I took 3yrs off from lifting.After being tired of being out of shape and feeling like crap I eased back into lifting and my problems began again and got worse thru the years.I've seen several different orthopedics since I've been lifting again and everybody seems to agree that the longer I continue to lift the more severe my joint problems will be later in life. The last 2 orthopedics that done surgery on left knee agree that with the arthritis I won't get but 10yrs out of an replacement. The pain and constant injuries really mess with your head after awhile and make me question what shape I will be in in 10yrs if I continue to lift.

IS IT TIME TO QUIT???

heavy lifting probably yes. You can still maintain a great looking healthy body without heavy training. I see some very fit looking guys that train light in my gym. Take a break as has been suggested. Have a think and reevaluate your training. You do not need to give up something that you love, you just have to go about it differently now. You did what you needed to in the past. Work on looking good and feeling good for the future.

heavy lifting probably yes. You can still maintain a great looking healthy body without heavy training. I see some very fit looking guys that train light in my gym. Take a break as has been suggested. Have a think and reevaluate your training. You do not need to give up something that you love, you just have to go about it differently now. You did what you needed to in the past. Work on looking good and feeling good for the future.

It's hard for me to go to the gym without wanting to bust my ass.It gets drilled in your head that if your not going all out then your wasting your time.I know things are different for me now but that mentalility is still with me. I agree that it's time for a break and to do things differently but change is always hard for me. Thanks to all for the replies.

Take a year off and try some plyometrics and see a good chiroproctor that is familiar with active release (ART). Get some elasticity back into you. You may have to give up the heavy stuff but you can stay limber.

If you can't do that, than I guess it's comfort measures and pain management but that WAAAAAAAAAAYYYY last resort.

i definately agree that you should take some time off (at least from legs)...but i would be hesitant to start any plyometric training with knees that already cannot take the force put on them by machines, let alone squats. the NSCA recommends someone 220lb and over should be able to squat thier bodyweight before performing any plyo's, and someone under 220lb 1.5x thier bodyweight. this is because of the increased force placed on the muscle via the stretch-shortening cycle. just thought i would throw that out there :)

i definately agree that you should take some time off (at least from legs)...but i would be hesitant to start any plyometric training with knees that already cannot take the force put on them by machines, let alone squats. the NSCA recommends someone 220lb and over should be able to squat thier bodyweight before performing any plyo's, and someone under 220lb 1.5x thier bodyweight. this is because of the increased force placed on the muscle via the stretch-shortening cycle. just thought i would throw that out there :)
Definitely true. Time off is key - and how it's spent. But if he comes roaring back he should be okay. I've been him. He's not even 40. Unless he has something that's degenerative, I wouldn't be too afraid to be aggressive after some physical therapy. He has a solid history and lifting background. He only has one choice and that's get them back. I'm hating the thought of what will happen inside those joints if he just gives up...

He sounds pretty frustrated and on the verge of giving up. This dude is overtrained.

my .02

Definitely true. Time off is key - and how it's spent. But if he comes roaring back he should be okay. I've been him. He's not even 40. Unless he has something that's degenerative, I wouldn't be too afraid to be aggressive after some physical therapy. He has a solid history and lifting background. He only has one choice and that's get them back. I'm hating the thought of what will happen inside those joints if he just gives up...

He sounds pretty frustrated and on the verge of giving up. This dude is overtrained.

my .02

NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!!!

hey gettnlarge01, if it comes down to it, you could always just workout with the old fat ladies in the pool! im sorry brotha, i couldnt resist. i know what its like being injured...ive had a partial patellectomy (removed part of my left kneecap), and im also fighting some pretty tough patella tendonitis in my right knee now too from a tight IT band earlier in the year. have you ever used neoprene knee braces when lifting legs?

NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!!!

hey gettnlarge01, if it comes down to it, you could always just workout with the old fat ladies in the pool! im sorry brotha, i couldnt resist. i know what its like being injured...ive had a partial patellectomy (removed part of my left kneecap), and im also fighting some pretty tough patella tendonitis in my right knee now too from a tight IT band earlier in the year. have you ever used neoprene knee braces when lifting legs?
I know this wasn't directed at me but for my patellar tendon (I strained the both hard at the same time) neoprene got me back on the road. First I did the blue ones and then a friend gave me on that velcroed on thigh and just below the knee. It was a great wrap for what I was doing.

Three dollars!!!

I know this wasn't directed at me but for my patellar tendon (I strained the both hard at the same time) neoprene got me back on the road. First I did the blue ones and then a friend gave me on that velcroed on thigh and just below the knee. It was a great wrap for what I was doing.

Three dollars!!!
can you show mw a picture of that model?, I suppose that when I will comeback training I should use knee protections all the time... tnx

here's one

You can find these in many brands but the one that I used was Futuro.

Attachments

• 10414.jpg
    10414.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 152
here's another...

Attachments

• Box_Adjustable_Knee_Stabilizer.gif
    Box_Adjustable_Knee_Stabilizer.gif
    5.7 KB · Views: 148
Actually, swimming is not a bad idea.

When it comes down to your life and future mobility. I personally would much rather be without pain and functional. You are a young person to be encountering such severe problems.

Just to have some fun method of training is a real blessing. I was a lifeguard at one time and a water safety instructor. Pool workouts can be incredibly demanding.

Stretching, biking, swimming, hell, give your body a different stimuli and do all you can nutritionally to help those joints. You might even enjoy yourself.

You can still look fantastic, maybe better than you do right now if you eat correctly.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
BL
NapsGear