over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Jiu-Jitsu and lifting?

babygetoboy

Registered
Hey guys, I just had a question and was seeing if anyone had any experience with this. So as I get older, the things I want I guess I'm trying to change, and I'm not going to be a pro bodybuilder, I'm never going to be able to use gear ever again, and I just want to feel good, be lean and be as big and strong as possible while doing all of that.

I was thinking of maybe starting to do jiu-jitsu as a focus , while continuining to lift, figuring it will give me something to do and focus on, improve my conditioning and flexibility and make me feel better.

Does anyone have any experience or advice in doing something like this?

Thanks everyone.

Hey guys, I just had a question and was seeing if anyone had any experience with this. So as I get older, the things I want I guess I'm trying to change, and I'm not going to be a pro bodybuilder, I'm never going to be able to use gear ever again, and I just want to feel good, be lean and be as big and strong as possible while doing all of that.

I was thinking of maybe starting to do jiu-jitsu as a focus , while continuining to lift, figuring it will give me something to do and focus on, improve my conditioning and flexibility and make me feel better.

Thanks everyone.

How come you can't use gear anymore?

What aspects were you wondering about specifically? Have you done any kind of grappling before? It's great conditioning and can give you some goals if you want to get into tournaments like grappler's quest etc.

Jiu Jitsu is great. And very humbling at first.

All combat sports offer something and will make you more fit.

But yes, it will increase your cardio by leaps and bounds, and flexibility. When I'm done with a workout, I'm totally exhausted. If that's what you're after, that's a good place to be.

I can tell you from experience lifting and bjj is goin to kick your ass. Your gonna have to find a good balance because its gonna beat your body up guaranteed. With that being said I loved training bjj and muay thai and did it for several years . if its something you really are into go for it. Bjj is extremely technical if your goin for belts . Good luck kid don't worry you'll rolling with guys and getting tied up in knots in no time

sparring in BJJ is very taxing on your muscles, especially you're legs.

I would never advise doing leg day on the same day as bjj class... and would try to avoid having leg day after bjj as well.

google a girl named sistersteel this chick is a beast and i believe a purple belt. I rolled for a while got my blue, but then stopped due to joint issues. I kept hurting my elbows bad and it took me out of the gym.

First month you will be hatting life period, after that its fun, the tops of your feet will be raw, your fingers, knuckles from friction. Its a blast I miss it, I have a few friends that are purples and browns that I roll with every now and then, best cardio I ever had though.

Went from barely being able to run a mile and a half at 11:30 to running it at 9:50 with out even ever going running, just building up my cardio from rolling for 3 hours every other day.

Spend the money on a good gi, I like red nose and valkan. It will last forever, find a blue belt that is humble and ask to roll with him, you will get hurt with new white belts. To many college level wrestlers come in to our class with some thing to prove and injure our whites with no experience. So when I was a white I would roll with blues and purples. Also bigger guys are fun too, girls I stay away from only because its to easy to get excited when your on test lol.

BJJ is life changing. give it a shot, check your ego & you will grow as a person.

google a girl named sistersteel this chick is a beast and i believe a purple belt. I rolled for a while got my blue, but then stopped due to joint issues. I kept hurting my elbows bad and it took me out of the gym.

First month you will be hatting life period, after that its fun, the tops of your feet will be raw, your fingers, knuckles from friction. Its a blast I miss it, I have a few friends that are purples and browns that I roll with every now and then, best cardio I ever had though.

Went from barely being able to run a mile and a half at 11:30 to running it at 9:50 with out even ever going running, just building up my cardio from rolling for 3 hours every other day.

Spend the money on a good gi, I like red nose and valkan. It will last forever, find a blue belt that is humble and ask to roll with him, you will get hurt with new white belts. To many college level wrestlers come in to our class with some thing to prove and injure our whites with no experience. So when I was a white I would roll with blues and purples. Also bigger guys are fun too, girls I stay away from only because its to easy to get excited when your on test lol.

SisterSteel is a freak! Love that "girl" :p She's on another board that I belong to.

its definitely humbling at first. you will try to muscle through alot of the movements and will wear out quickly. find someone who will go slow and let you try to figure things out and work through positions. even if u dont know what ur doing they will coach you through. all the newbies will try to break ur arm lol

I would eliminate heavy pressing movements if you're going to roll full time. I'm natty and attempted to train DC while rolling jiu jitsu 6-8 hours per week and my elbows/shoulders hated me for it. As soon as I stopped heavy pressing while practicing jiu jitsu my joint probs went away.

I would recommend SLDL/Sumo style deadlifts as well as EZ bar bent rows as primary lifts if you wanna get really strong for jiu jitsu. kettlebell work is also amazing for core strength/development.

I am a BJJ brown belt and have been training for 9 yrs. BJJ is an awesome sport! I.don't.train heavy pressing movements either. Not sure why you cant use gear. A little test deca and gh and you feel like a million bucks!!!

Jits definitely mixes well with lifting, although like others said before you need to find a balance. The first few weeks of jiu jitsu will wear you out even if you are in good shape otherwise. I would go a little easier in the gym for the first few weeks while your body acclimates to the new stresses. Also spend some time before and after each class stretching. A foam roller will help a lot.

Icy Hot will be your best friend after practice.

Focus on technique, try not to use strength to make up for shortcomings in your jits, and get good at the basics. This will lay a solid foundation for a great jiu jitsu game. And remember...EVERYBODY taps at some point. Go into it with no ego and it will be more fun.:headbang:

Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate all the advice.

How is it on your lower back? I have a injured lower back but I feel a lot of pain is added due to not be flexible at all and carrying around 255lbs everyday lol.

Take care of your back before rolling with any big guys or any new guys. Try rolling with guys that have a slower game and lots of control over their own body (i.e. don't roll with new guys).
If it's just a flexibility issue then start out slow and the flexibility will come to you as long as you stretch regularly. If it's due to injury you should carefully consider doing jits as there is a lot of twisting, fast movements, heavy ass mofo's laying on you, and spinal compression when getting stacked.

Good luck!

Lethal

also first thing learn how to place your weight. what i mean by this my first few months I would get reversed EVERY time I got in side control or half guard never failed. Then I learned how to properly place my weight with my hips and it made it easy to start working for subs.

Also your going to want to start subbing from day one, nothing feels better then going for a nice sub. Work slow and on your posture before you learn to finish. My couch who was trained by dave camirillo made me learn control and posture before he taught me to finish.

When ever I would free roll I would get control go for a sub and loss it in a second and then get owned. Never put your hands on the mat unless you know what your doing or your going to get arm bared or triangled fast. Spider guard is a blast to learn when your good at it, its fun to get them in spider and put your feet on their hips and take full control of them like a puppet.

This is brining back some great memories... The best thing about our gym when I rolled is we actually had a bar lol there. It was like a country club for tennis players. So we would roll then watch the fights down stairs drink a pitcher then go roll drunk. I dont drink any more but those were fun times.

Hit up Big Dave Smith.... he is one here.... not sure of his actual screen name but dude is a beast.. competitive BBer, trains hard as hell..... DC guy, eats like a monster and can do some work on the mat.. Actually competes in grappling as well. He can shell out some good advice I'm sure..

You will work muscles ya never knew ya had in jits...

hit a 10th planet school or a no gi class at a reg jits school.

wearing pajamas sucks....:headbang:

Thanks everyone.

You can NEVER use gear again? please explain

I'm not sure why its such a big deal, but it's a sobriety/life issue

I don't know how old you are, but I went to college on a wrestling scholarship. I have pondered MMA type training, but at 49 I know for certain my joints are going to go "snap" instead of bend as they once did. Tough on you if you aren't young and injury free. Try boxing. Just don't let any 20 year olds punch you in the face.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Stromba926
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131