over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

LANTUS experiences

luki7788

Registered
Newbies
I am very interested in the opinion of experienced users who have used lantus in their protocols.

I would like to use it in the current offseason but I wonder how to approach it.
I thought about using it only on training days, adding mimetics and metformin on days off, but in this case there is a high probability of a rapid deterioration of insulin sensitivity.
The second thought is to use it only on the days of training weak muscle groups 1-2x a week and this option seems safer.

I will honestly say that in the past I have used Lantus and I have not had faster weight and strength gains on anything but these were the days when I was young and stupid I didn't know much about insulin sensitivity and I used it every day in 4-6 week cycles.

I am interested in the opinion of practitioners, I know that there are many people who have cooperated with Bleu Taylor and he is a big fan of lantus in offseason - they may want to share their experiences.

Lantus has extreme binding ability, that's in my opinion is what separates the slin analogues. You have IGF receptors in smooth muscles as well as the intestines, so there's no way around systematic growth or "GH gut" as they call it. I believe there's a point to growing that local effects are maxed out and systematic is the only way to get bigger.

As for the frequency of use, I think most people's idea of needing to cycle off slin is psuedo science. Why would using insulin make you insulin resistant? That's the literal reason you take the insulin. The only reason I can think of to only use insulin intermittently is to limit fat gain and to limit having to eat that much as Lantus is very hard to dial in.

As for the frequency of use, I think most people's idea of needing to cycle off slin is psuedo science. Why would using insulin make you insulin resistant?

Yes this is an interesting line of thought. Lots of people claim insulin "stops working" very quickly and it doesn't make much sense for many reasons. That's not to say insulin resistance can't develop but some people have a simplistic and ignorant view of insulin imo. If insulin stopped working diabetics would be in deep shit within weeks.

I will honestly say that in the past I have used Lantus and I have not had faster weight and strength gains on anything but these were the days when I was young and stupid I didn't know much about insulin sensitivity and I used it every day in 4-6 week cycles.

How did you determine you got very resistant within a month?

I can't personally answer your question but I know you've reached out to a lot of other pro's/trainers regarding their protocols, but have you ever reached out to Milos Sarcev? He says he hasn't trained without insulin for the past 20+ years(I believe his exact words were along the lines he thinks its a waste to even train without it) and he never got the GH/slin gut or seemed to have desensitized etc so wondering if he does something special in the background to prevent this, might be worth reaching out to him.

so wondering if he does something special in the background to prevent this, might be worth reaching out to him.

Nah, he doesn't do anything. Just trains a lot and believes in the short acting ones around workout times. He kept himself close to contest condition year round and didn't push enormous quantities of food which would stretch out your stomach.

I can't personally answer your question but I know you've reached out to a lot of other pro's/trainers regarding their protocols, but have you ever reached out to Milos Sarcev? He says he hasn't trained without insulin for the past 20+ years(I believe his exact words were along the lines he thinks its a waste to even train without it) and he never got the GH/slin gut or seemed to have desensitized etc so wondering if he does something special in the background to prevent this, might be worth reaching out to him.
Friend myself I use humalog / novorapid every training day before and after training for more than 4 years and also did not become resistant to insulin but in the issue of lantus it looks a little different because it works all round the clock not a few hours during the day - in such a situation much easier and insulin resistance .
As for milosa I saw his protocols and many of my close friends worked with him, milos's response to the increasing resistance is an increase in the dose of insulin and 50iu humalog before and after treening or 100iu per day is the norm in its protocols. Milos also prefers only short insulin around training, lantus and long insulin is considered useless for bodybuilding

Here's my .02 from some experience with it.

-"Lower" doses, say under 50iu daily can be run for longer periods up to 12 weeks. I would say start at 20-25 then work up 5iu every couple weeks.
-"Higher" doses, just to be safe should be run for shorter periods. IMO, "higher doses" would be 70iu/day and up. I would still start at 25iu and work up quicker to where you want to be. Keep these higher doses runs to maybe 4-6 weeks tops.

From my experiences with it:
- gives a very "3D" look while on a blast
- nice increase in fullness/roundness when used while cruising
- has never messed with my insulin sensitivity
- I continue to use GDA's- mainly R-ala and berberine while on it
- Never have had any issues going hypo
- Highest I've been is 70iu/day which is essentially a little less then 3iu per hour. Results are definitely dramatic at those dosage.
- Keep fats low and re-feeds if needed clean.

Friend myself I use humalog / novorapid every training day before and after training for more than 4 years and also did not become resistant to insulin but in the issue of lantus it looks a little different because it works all round the clock not a few hours during the day - in such a situation much easier and insulin resistance .
As for milosa I saw his protocols and many of my close friends worked with him, milos's response to the increasing resistance is an increase in the dose of insulin and 50iu humalog before and after treening or 100iu per day is the norm in its protocols. Milos also prefers only short insulin around training, lantus and long insulin is considered useless for bodybuilding
Your body still produces its own insulin while there is lantus in your system.
Lantus actually only lasts 16-18 hours. The dose of lantus you take would be spread over that time period. Lantus is designed to release extremely slow. Your body will still make insulin to help regulate blood sugar on top of what lantus can't cover

that is, at the moment most of the people who have experimented with lanthus say strongly recommend giving it on each training day for say 8-12 weeks than only on the days of training weak muscle groups 1-2x a week

all in all I had the initial idea but Mike Arnold's articles made me doubt as to the correctness of my idea

i used it daily.
18units total
10 with breakfast
8. 5-6 hours later

was using 5iu of gh daily with it

40 grams of carbs per meal x 6 meals

high fats

As for the frequency of use, I think most people's idea of needing to cycle off slin is psuedo science. Why would using insulin make you insulin resistant? That's the literal reason you take the insulin. The only reason I can think of to only use insulin intermittently is to limit fat gain and to limit having to eat that much as Lantus is very hard to dial in.

Sorry IL but this works for every type of slin OTHER THAN lantus...and this is ony because lantus is a long acting one (what, 24hrs?). Every single BBer i know, myself incuded, had ridicuously high fasted BG after running it. Running it ED is a sure fire way to look and fuck up your BG. Reguar R or log, you're fine. You're body gets back to normal and there's no risk of resistance. But lantus is a fucker.

Luki, i ran it for 10 weeks in my offseason. Starting at 30iu and ending at 100iu. Increased around 10iu every week. I used in tandem with log. Lantus only once or twice a week tho. Log every workout. Huge fullness. Scaled moved quick. Only hypo feelings i had was when i wasnt monitoring my log correctly. IMO its great for the truly lean guys who have to eat a house to put on LBM. For me, being a dude who doesnt have to push TOO hard on the food, I got fatter as well. My diet was in check too. I just have to realllly watch my slin usage during offseason. This past offseason, i only used R and kept much tighter. Luki, i would give it a run if I were you.

Sorry IL but this works for every type of slin OTHER THAN lantus...and this is ony because lantus is a long acting one (what, 24hrs?). Every single BBer i know, myself incuded, had ridicuously high fasted BG after running it. Running it ED is a sure fire way to look and fuck up your BG. Reguar R or log, you're fine. You're body gets back to normal and there's no risk of resistance. But lantus is a fucker.

Luki, i ran it for 10 weeks in my offseason. Starting at 30iu and ending at 100iu. Increased around 10iu every week. I used in tandem with log. Lantus only once or twice a week tho. Log every workout. Huge fullness. Scaled moved quick. Only hypo feelings i had was when i wasnt monitoring my log correctly. IMO its great for the truly lean guys who have to eat a house to put on LBM. For me, being a dude who doesnt have to push TOO hard on the food, I got fatter as well. My diet was in check too. I just have to realllly watch my slin usage during offseason. This past offseason, i only used R and kept much tighter. Luki, i would give it a run if I were you.

Getting fat pretty much puts the beta cells in overdrive similar to kicking a horse to move as fast as possible until it dies of exhaustion, with the death of the beta cells causes a recoil effect which over time starts to lead to beta cell dysfunction (the precursor to IR.) If you acquired less visceral tissue and kept lipids stable you wouldnt have had circulating blood glucose issue or "sensitivity" issues. If you avoid the negative affect in body comp than you avoid the need come off the insulin, if thats possible on lantus is to be debated.

Getting fat pretty much puts the beta cells in overdrive similar to kicking a horse to move as fast as possible until it dies of exhaustion, with the death of the beta cells causes a recoil effect which over time starts to lead to beta cell dysfunction (the precursor to IR.) If you acquired less visceral tissue and kept lipids stable you wouldnt have had circulating blood glucose issue or "sensitivity" issues. If you avoid the negative affect in body comp than you avoid the need come off the insulin, if thats possible on lantus is to be debated.

rather than explaining the science, why don’t u tell me your personal experience with Lantus.

rather than explaining the science, why don’t u tell me your personal experience with Lantus.

I'm not sure your point?
At least 1/3 of my patients use it daily, so to say I have no personal experience isn't accurate.

how do you assess this protocol in retrospect? has it brought you better results than using only short insulin? and would you repeat it again or would you change something?

I'm sorry, but there is some false information in this thread. Insulin absolutely reduces insulin senstivity. Anyone who has any knowldge of how insulin works knows this. Consider the following...

First of all, it is important to understand that insulin receptor activation is one of the primary mechanisms through which insulin receptors become desensitized...and what activates insulin receptors, you might ask? If you guessed insulin (and to a lesser degree, IGF-1) you are correct!!! Hyperactivation of the insulin receptor is one of the main reasons for the prevalence of insulin resistance in bodybuilding today. Insulin receptors (just like many other types of receptors throughout the body) becomes less sensitive to the effects of their respective binding ligands the more frequently they are activated.

Why do you think keto diets work so wonderfully for restoring insulin senstivity? Because insulin levels are so low. The lower insulin levels fall (resulting in reduced insulin receptor signaling), the greater their senstivity becomes. The greater insulin levels climb (resulting in increased insulin receptor signaling), the less sensitive they become. It is an indisputable fact that hyperinsulinimia is a primary cause of insulin receptor downregulation....and both insulin and growth hormone are quite capable of causing hyperinsulinemia. Insulin does this through direct binding to the IR and GH by way of indirect mechanisms (elevated plasma fatty acid levels, increased IGF-1 levels, etc.). Even a brief look through the literatre (just Google "insulin receptor signaling and insulin resistance" or "insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia" and you will find tons of scientific literature proving this . This has been known for many decades ago...even a centory ago.

Note: In response to a previous comment, which reads "Why would using insulin make you insulin resistant? That's the literal reason you take the insulin", I will provide the answer. First, let's clarify exactly what insulin resistance is. Quite simply, insulin resistance/decreased insulin sensitivity is a state in which the insulin receptor no longer responds to the actions of insulin as powerfully as it once did/should. While physicians typically won't diagnose someone as "insulin resistant" until their insulin senstivity has decreased to a point where they are clinically pre-diabetic, both insulin resistance and decreased insulin senstivity essentially refer the same thing--insulin receptor downregulation. This usually starts out relatively minor, but can potentially progress to the point of full blown Type II diabetes (again, Type II diabetes is nothing more than a case of severely decreased insulin senstivity).

When insulin senstivity first begins to decrease, the first thing that occurs is a rise in blood glucose levels. Since the regulation of BG levels is absolutely crucial to the maintainance of life, rectifying this issue becomes the body's #1 priority. The body accomplishes this by signaling the pancreas to secrete additional insulin into the bloodstream. This solves the surface issue by restoring a more normal BG level, but it does nothing to resolve the underlying issue (i.e. decreased insulin sensitivity/insulin resistance). If sensitivity continues to worsen, the pancreas will secrete more and more insulin in an attempt to maintain BG levels in an ideal range. However, if the problem progresses beyond a certain point the pancreas will no longer be able to keep up, leading to a further increase in BG levels. At its worst, the beta cells of the pancreas (the cells responsible for making insulin) begin to burnout and die. If this happens, the body's ability to manage BG levels deteriorates even further. After all, if the very cells responsible for making insulin are already incapable of managing BG levels as it is, what do you think will happen when a bunch of them start to die? When this happens, we often see outrageous circulating BG levels.

Fortunately, long before an individual reaches this point, a doctor will prescribe something like metformin. If that isn't sufficient or eventually becomes insufficient due to a continued worsening of insulin sensitivity, other medications are prescibed (usually in tandem with metformin). In the end, if the 1st and 2nd lines of medical defense fail, exogenous insulin is the only option. Exogneous inulin is only employed as a last ditch effort to prevent someone from dying as a result of Type II diabetes induced hyperglycemia. By the time someone is prescribed insulin, their insulin senstivity is so horrible that a multitude of body systems have already been severely affected, leading to numerous health problems. So, as you can see, insulin does NOTHNG to correct insulin resistance/improve insulin senstivity. In this instance, its purpose is soley to manage BG levels, thereby saving the individual from imminent death. Assuming no other steps are taken, such an individual will CONTINUE to maintain horrid insulin senstivity for the rest of their shortened lifespan, while exeriencing all the health problems associated with Type II Diabetes.

Now that we've established the above, there are few ways you can use Lantus--some good, some bad. Let's break down the various programs:

* Extended Use, Low Dose
* Extended Use, High Dose
* Intermittent Use, Low dose
* Intermittent Use, High dose

Extended Use, Low Dose: It makes no sense, as you will only be replacing your body's own endogeous production with lantus. Remember, the main reason exogneous insulin provides its benefits is because insulin levels reach supraphysiological levels. If insulin levels never really go above normal (which is what occurs with low dose Lantus), what benefit do you expect to receive? The reason low dose lantus doesn't result in suprephyiological levels of insulin is because it releases so slowly. Therefore, when supplemtning with low doses of lantus, you are really just using it as a substitution for your body's own insulin. You're not getting anthing extra.
Note: I see some potential applications with this method in those who are suffering from beta cell burnout, but this does not apply to healthy bodybuilders with good insulin sensitivity.

Extended Use, High Dose: Stupid. Sure, it will lead to rapid intial weight gain, but the resulting decrease in insulin senstivity will be extreme. When employed over the long-term, such programs will lead to pre-diabetes/Type II dibates...and as we should all know by now, this does NOT lead to a better physique. I am not gong to go into all the ways in which insulin resistance ruins the physique (shape, health AND eventually size), as it is outside the scope of this post, but if you want to know what your ultimate lot is if you choose to go down this road, look no further than pictures of Dave Palumbo or Greg Kovacs towards the end of their careers. This is what happens when severe long-term insulin resistance remains unchecked. Remember, things didn't start out this way for them. In the beginning things seemed great. They just seemed to get bigger, but the consequences of their actions reared their ugly heads over time. Why do you think Dave (whom I like) espouses keto dieting so much these days...and perpetually follows a keto diet himself (because he scared the shit out of himself after he saw what uncontrolled insulin resistance does to the body and health). If you want to build the best physique possible and fullfill your true potential, don't even consider this approach. You will not be a better bodybuilder. Too many guys in the 90's and early 2000's did this and destroyed their physiques (growth hormone just made things worse).

Intermittent Use, Low Dose: While I don't have any issue with this from a health standpoint, you run into the same problem as above. Once again, you will just be replacing your body's own natural production of insulin with LANTUS.

Intermittent Use, High Dose: This can work very well while minimizing insulin resistance. I recommend a 1-2X day per week approach at high doses, either with weak bodyparts, or, if the individual needs overall mass, on the days he trains his largest bodyparts. By simultaneously implementing steps to maintain insulin senstivity (e.g. berberine, GW, cardio, eating a clean diet low in simple sugars and removing unecessary, excess dietary fat, etc.) one can greatly reduce or even completely offset the decrease in insulin senstivity that accompanies large dose intermittent insulin usage. One other option is to use high dose Lantus daily for 1-2 weeks during a blast, while simultaneously taking steps to maintain/improve insulin senstivity. If sensitivity is still a bit low after the blast, continue utilizings the insulin sensitizing methods mentioned above until senstivity is fully restored. It shouldn't take long--1 week or so--if you previously had good insulin senstivity. Truth be told, some people should always be taking these steps. Things such as berbrine, cardio and optimal diets (I am a huge proponent of GW for improving insulin senstivity and overall metabolic health) are of paramount importance for enhanced bodybuilders attempting to maximize their development, especially if GH is part of their program.

that is, at the moment most of the people who have experimented with lanthus say strongly recommend giving it on each training day for say 8-12 weeks than only on the days of training weak muscle groups 1-2x a week

all in all I had the initial idea but Mike Arnold's articles made me doubt as to the correctness of my idea
A lot of bodybuilders recommend doing stupid things, including many of the pros from the 90's and early 2000's (and even today) who ruined their physiques by the end of their careers. Unfortunately, many bodybuilders aren't really up to date on PED science.

If you really want to do an extended high dose Lantus cyle, doing it couple times isn't going to do much harm to your physique, but if you continue to take this approach over the long-term, you will eventually REGRET the day you made that decision. Just ask all the retired pros who ruined their physiques (and health) because of it. High dose, high frequency insulin use leading to insulin resistance is the single biggest physique related mistake an aspiing pro could make in the PED department.

This is no longer a secret, but somehat common knowledge these days. Ask anyone knowledgable (coaches, bodybuiding-focused doctors, etc.) in this sport and see what kind of answer you get...and by knowldgeable, I am NOT referring to those who may have been big names back in the day, but whose knowledge of the subject hasn't progressed since the 90's. For example, if you hear someone say that the way for a bodybuilder to fix GH induced elevated blood sugar levels is to use insulin, RUN away as fast as you can. Such idividuals know little about this complex subject and will lead you down a dangerous path. Those type of recomendations plyed a big role in damaging many great and potentially great physiques...not to mention the number of health problems it caused.

Brother, remember, there is a BIG difference between "patients" using exogenous insulin and bodybuilders pushing ther insulin dose well into the supraphyiological range over the long-term. It is preisely the latter which causes issues. If insulin levels are kept in the normal range, then of course, senstivity issues won't occur...but this isn't possible when ijecting large amounts of insulin day in and day out.

Mike Arnold, you say exogenous insulin use is a last ditch effort to control BG in Type II.
This may be true. However, I recall a few years ago I remember reading that some in the medical community were talking about using it much earlier or foregoing the oral meds altogether and this protecting the body. Do you know how this debate has progressed and is there a some type of concensus nowadays wrt to the approach to Type II?

And regarding Palumbo, he claims he did very low amounts of both GH and insulin. Like 2iu of Growth, maybe up to 6iu max at times. And the insulin was like under 10iu a maximum of twice daily. Do you think he lied about these doses? When he commented on the supposed death cycle of Dallas, he said the 20iu of fast acting for every meal along with up to 100iu of Lantus was pretty much impossible to do. I don't think that would be impossible for someone like Dallas. What do you think?

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws