over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Lat pull downs vs. pull ups

which is better

• lat pull downs

Votes: 116 25.6%
  • pull ups

Votes: 337 74.4%

• Total voters
The problem with many new comers to the lifting world is that they have not yet established a positive mind muscle connection for many compound type movements. I remember when I first began lifting quite a few years ago that the last thing I felt when doing pullups was an actual contraction within my lats. My strength was also not that great at first so I was probably over compensating with other secondary movers as well. So I back tracked a little and used less weight on a pulldown and established a better mind/muscle relationship and also built some strength so that pullups were actually beneficial. I'd also be willing to be that many people on this board probably still cant perform a pullup with correct form.

I agree that pullups are probably more beneficial than pulldowns but I'd be willing to say that rack chins for myself are more beneficial than both. They also put FAR less stress on my rotator cuffs as pullups just ruin my shoulders. I also like to throw in pulldowns as the negative portion of the lift and the stretch you can get from them are pretty damn good.

I agree that pullups are probably more beneficial than pulldowns but I'd be willing to say that rack chins for myself are more beneficial than both. They also put FAR less stress on my rotator cuffs as pullups just ruin my shoulders. I also like to throw in pulldowns as the negative portion of the lift and the stretch you can get from them are pretty damn good.

I agree with you. As wrestler back in the day I could crank out 30+ pull-ups a set. Anyone remember having to climb that rope back in the day? That actually changed my life! I did tear my rotator and dislocated my elbow wrestling and things were never the same for me. I enjoy the benefits of pull-ups but I don't want to feel the stress on the joints. I would not just do the pull down machine. I enjoy pulling a sled with a thick rope as a change-up. I am not a bodybuilder though but that's what works best for me.

i used to do pullups all the time but due to tendonosis in both elbows i did not do them for 4 years, just started doing them again about 3 weeks ago and i am weak on them,4 sets 6 reps and thats body weight. What are rack chins?

i used to do pullups all the time but due to tendonosis in both elbows i did not do them for 4 years, just started doing them again about 3 weeks ago and i am weak on them,4 sets 6 reps and thats body weight. What are rack chins?

IMO, one of the best lat movements you can do. You can accentuate the stretch at the bottom, progress very easily, and perform them without a spotter.

YouTube - Jason Wojo Rack Chins

Kinda like saying what's better, squats or smyth squats

Those rack chins look bad ass! I've always struggled with pull ups even though I use the stack for pull downs. I probably should have just gotten some coaching...lol:rolleyes:

I don't know if anyone else feels this way but I always feel like I'm doing nothing doing lat pulldowns. My arms wear out before my lats feel sore. Pullups feel so much better to me. I usually do v-bar pulldowns instead and those work my lats great.

Reverse rows are a great lat exercise for me too

I don't know if anyone else feels this way but I always feel like I'm doing nothing doing lat pulldowns. My arms wear out before my lats feel sore. Pullups feel so much better to me. I usually do v-bar pulldowns instead and those work my lats great.

Reverse rows are a great lat exercise for me too

Wrist wraps + elbows slightly in front of your torso + contract and squeeze with your lats. I use to feel the same then I started making adjustments to my form and lightened the weight up initially. Focus on your contraction with a slow negative and you should activate your lats very well. My forearms occasionally still get a beating when doing pulldowns but I am still able to exhaust my lats before my arms.

I agree with you that a v-bar is also a great variation. I use the v-bar for my widowmaker but probably in a different fasion than yourself. DC low pulley rows with a v-bar really set your lats on fire.

So I do have to state that I went to the gym for back day and decided to do 3 sets of pullups for my first width exercise. I don't know if it's the fact I added a little more volume + changed up my width exercises but my lats are still incredibly sore 3 days later. I'm going to keep incorporating them along with RG hammer pull downs, rack chins, and a widowmaker or two of various cable work.

It's kind of like comparing pushups and bench press. I utilize both movements and feel that pullups are awesome back builders. I don't do a full range of motion anymore though due to shoulder issues. I keep constant tension and bust out at least 3 sets of 10 or so every couple of weeks.

I prefer pullups...or do pullups(heavy day) & maybe latpulls on a light day or if I'm draggin ass

I agree with the rack chins. I would love to do pullups, but tendonitis sets in almost immediately. Rack chins don't seem to have that effect on me and I feel I can tax the muscle much better than with lat pull downs. But lat pull downs do have their place definately, and the ability to change hand positions and bar movement are definately crucial aspects to the exercise.

I like all kinds of moves

Rack chins to the front and back of head
Pulldowns (usually reverse grip) with cables or Hammer Strength
Pullups w/ a neutral grip
Even machine Pullovers

No need to limit yourself

Well

I wont go into it too much on here but anytime your body moves through space as opposed to just limbs moving it is ALWAYS more beneficial.......especially hormonally.............a more systemic effect.

I wont go into it too much on here but anytime your body moves through space as opposed to just limbs moving it is ALWAYS more beneficial.......especially hormonally.............a more systemic effect.

So it would be best to do squats or hacks for legs, dips for chest and tris, pullups and close reverse pullups for back and bis, deadlifts for back, stiffs for hams, standing raises for calves and these exercises take care of delts.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinFinch
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity