advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Let's talk about guys that got out of the game early and sort of disappeared - why, and where are they now?

AllOkJumpmaster

Registered
Newbies
I realize almost every single one of these guys got out mostly because of some kind of health issue whether it was from PED usage or not, but some are really intriguing. It always fascinates me to discuss athletes that ended their careers early or abruptly and sort of disappeared. No disrespect to any of these guys

Some examples I can think of and know a slight bit about...

Mike Francois - I knew him decently well when I lived in Columbus. The guy still looks awesome, and mostly trains guys, and has an NPC show there. Great guy, had chrons and ulcerative colitis that ended his career early. Loved his physique though. Arnold Classic Champion in 95.

Zack Kahn - Rising star, tore both quads in training, never really able to get a competitive physique back. Was a freak before the injury though.

Justin Compton - One of the craziest transformations, and rapid rise to incredible size and shape I can remember. He was Nick Walker before Nick Walker. I know health issues knocked him out of realizing his true competitive potential. I believe he is still training guys but is pretty much a ghost on social.

Seth Shaw - Met him Columbus when he was up and coming. Great guy, had a great physique. I think his last comp was in 2020. from what I understand he is done competing.

Trey Brewer - No idea here. He was getting big when I was pretty young, like early college years. I remember him being the supposed next big thing / star, and then he kind of just vanished. I believe he is training guys now, and maybe owns a gym. Never really heard a definitive reason why he bounced.

Santi Aragon - great physique, not sure if his early exit was health related or not

Zach Merkel - Won USA's and beat Nick Walker the year before Nick ended up winning. IIRC he never competed as a pro. Great physique for a taller guy.

Ben Pakulski - Saw him take 3rd at the Arnold. Insane legs and calves lol. I believe a health issue forced him out. He is massively downsized, and sort of became a guru of sorts. I know he has a pretty sick gym in Tampa.

Lionel Beyeke - I always thought this dude had it all, ig he could just nail it perfectly he could do serious damage. Unfortunately, he was always ogg. I know he had some legal troubles that sort of kept him away from traveling and competing. A real shame because he had a beautiful physique

Steve Laureus - Not even sure if he is done competing but haven't seen or heard from him in a minute.

Branden Ray - Seemingly dropped off the planet

frank McGrath - I know he was in a real bad car wreck and that pretty much ended his run

Stan Mcquay - No idea, thought he was going to make a run at classic, then vanished.

Jason Huh - No idea, believe he got out early to stay healthier.

Any others you guys can think of, or does anyone have any more details on some of the guys listed above?

Trey definitely had huge potential and was massive especially his legs… I remember reading the magazines on him and was excited to see him compete and grow! The hype of trying to become the next big thing probably got to him. He put on way too much weight in the offseason and struggled to strip off fat without losing muscle.

He had a poor showing in 09’, BSN dropped him and he faded away. He’s now a firefighter and trainer.

Cage

Trey definitely had huge potential and was massive especially his legs… I remember reading the magazines on him and was excited to see him compete and grow! The hype of trying to become the next big thing probably got to him. He put on way too much weight in the offseason and struggled to strip off fat without losing muscle.

He had a poor showing in 09’, BSN dropped him and he faded away. He’s now a firefighter and trainer.

Cage
Yeah he’s a trainer at a bodybuilding gym down in Atlanta here. I think he just moved too quick, too fast and health got to him. Crazy build though.

Jason Huh runs Steel Supplements now. Makes millions and travels with his wife and kids enjoying life.

Love it hate it bodybuilding is a selfish, expensive and unhealthy sport. Only the guys like Jay make it at the top and maintain wealth. Even Ronnie Coleman and Phil Heath’s (affiliated company) supplement lines went under.

@danieltx I would be curious to hear on some of these guys. Only thing I could see happening fast on this thread is it turning into a gossip conspiracy thread (not by you). Stuff like Jason Huh- great for him IMO he made the call and is living the life now. Hearing that stuff is great.

I'll list one who got out early but didn't exactly disappear and it's not a bad story...Lee Haney! Talk about a guy who made the most of his career!! Lee first competed in 1979 at the Teen Mr. America Tall and took 1st. In 1982 he took 1st at Junior Nationals Heavyweight and Overall, 1st at Nationals Heavyweight and Overall AND 1st at the World Amateur Championships Heavyweight. He competed 7 times in 1983, including 1st place at the Night of Champions, 1st place at the Grand Prix Las Vegas, and a 3rd place finish at the Olympia. Then from 1984 to 1991 he dominated the Mr. Olympia and broke Arnold's record in consecutive wins and overall wins. He only competed once each of those years except in 1987, when he competed in the German Grand Prix, taking 1st. He won his first Olympia title at the age of 24 and retired after the '91 Olympia at the age of 31!!

Lee came on strong, did damage, and got on with life. Pretty incredible! No one has broken his record of 8 consecutive Mr. Olympia titles. Ronnie Coleman tied it. Lee will be 64 this year and looks great!

Seth Shaw - Met him Columbus when he was up and coming. Great guy, had a great physique. I think his last comp was in 2020. from what I understand he is done competing.

I talk to Seth occasionally. He's had some cervical nerve stuff going on. He's working on it. Future probably depends on if he can get the neck stuff cleared up. Good guy.

I'll list one who got out early but didn't exactly disappear and it's not a bad story...Lee Haney! Talk about a guy who made the most of his career!! Lee first competed in 1979 at the Teen Mr. America Tall and took 1st. In 1982 he took 1st at Junior Nationals Heavyweight and Overall, 1st at Nationals Heavyweight and Overall AND 1st at the World Amateur Championships Heavyweight. He competed 7 times in 1983, including 1st place at the Night of Champions, 1st place at the Grand Prix Las Vegas, and a 3rd place finish at the Olympia. Then from 1984 to 1991 he dominated the Mr. Olympia and broke Arnold's record in consecutive wins and overall wins. He only competed once each of those years except in 1987, when he competed in the German Grand Prix, taking 1st. He won his first Olympia title at the age of 24 and retired after the '91 Olympia at the age of 31!!

Lee came on strong, did damage, and got on with life. Pretty incredible! No one has broken his record of 8 consecutive Mr. Olympia titles. Ronnie Coleman tied it. Lee will be 64 this year and looks great!
Totally agree. I’m fortunate to live in GA and Lee has given me so much advice over the years. He’s why I’ve moved back to Classic from open.

The sport needs more guys like Lee Haney.

Branden ray is heavy on ig.. has great info.. still huge.. just isn't competing.. trains people..
Justin Compton supposedly is back at it hard after a shoukder reconstruction.. looks pretty good..
Mike francois ended up with ulcerative colitis.. hard to compete with that depending on the severity. His put him in the hospital..

Yeah he’s a trainer at a bodybuilding gym down in Atlanta here. I think he just moved too quick, too fast and health got to him. Crazy build though.

Jason Huh runs Steel Supplements now. Makes millions and travels with his wife and kids enjoying life.

Love it hate it bodybuilding is a selfish, expensive and unhealthy sport. Only the guys like Jay make it at the top and maintain wealth. Even Ronnie Coleman and Phil Heath’s (affiliated company) supplement lines went under.

@danieltx I would be curious to hear on some of these guys. Only thing I could see happening fast on this thread is it turning into a gossip conspiracy thread (not by you). Stuff like Jason Huh- great for him IMO he made the call and is living the life now. Hearing that stuff is great.
Zack Kahn - Over the last 6-7 years he's some social media traction but has never capitalized on it; made a comeback at the 2019 British Grand Prix but just didnt' have the physique he had years prior; his pro career never got going due to the double quad tears

Justin Compton - Compton had injuries build up, particular extreme shoulder pain to the point driving a car was difficult; also an unspecified internal health issue

Seth Shaw - derailed by health issues as noted by @Reno911

Trey Brewer - Too much too soon and burnt out

Santi Aragon - retired in December 2021 due to life priorities changing

Zach Merkel - haven't kept up with him lately but he had a heart issue that required surgery at one point

Ben Pakulski - Retired; downsized; no longer owns MI40 as his wife got it in their divorce

Lionel Beyeke - never nailed his conditioning likely partially due to his diabetes; caught up in legal trouble due to a UK steroid dealer who went down; came back about 2 years ago at a European show but was doing it natural and looked nothing like previous showings

Steve Laureus - said he was done competing; now says he'll be back competing at some point

Branden Ray - retired years ago

frank McGrath - still in good shape but has on dialysis for the last 1-2 years as he was born with only one kidney

Stan Mcquay - hasn't competed in a few years but hasn't officially retired; he's 50 so I wouldn't be surprised if he's done

Jason Huh - he had no aspirations of competing as a pro and did his few pro shows to fulfill sponsor contracts; retired from competing in 2012 but stayed jacked; around 2018 him and his wife developed mercury poisoning which led to him significantly downsizing

I remember w guy named Derrick Anthony. Got big pretty distended then something happened he started to look all puffy. Was in hospital. I think he said it was kidneys but there were rumors he did g4p and it was hiv related. Eventually died.

Zack Kahn - Over the last 6-7 years he's some social media traction but has never capitalized on it; made a comeback at the 2019 British Grand Prix but just didnt' have the physique he had years prior; his pro career never got going due to the double quad tears

Justin Compton - Compton had injuries build up, particular extreme shoulder pain to the point driving a car was difficult; also an unspecified internal health issue

Seth Shaw - derailed by health issues as noted by @Reno911

Trey Brewer - Too much too soon and burnt out

Santi Aragon - retired in December 2021 due to life priorities changing

Zach Merkel - haven't kept up with him lately but he had a heart issue that required surgery at one point

Ben Pakulski - Retired; downsized; no longer owns MI40 as his wife got it in their divorce

Lionel Beyeke - never nailed his conditioning likely partially due to his diabetes; caught up in legal trouble due to a UK steroid dealer who went down; came back about 2 years ago at a European show but was doing it natural and looked nothing like previous showings

Steve Laureus - said he was done competing; now says he'll be back competing at some point

Branden Ray - retired years ago

frank McGrath - still in good shape but has on dialysis for the last 1-2 years as he was born with only one kidney

Stan Mcquay - hasn't competed in a few years but hasn't officially retired; he's 50 so I wouldn't be surprised if he's done

Jason Huh - he had no aspirations of competing as a pro and did his few pro shows to fulfill sponsor contracts; retired from competing in 2012 but stayed jacked; around 2018 him and his wife developed mercury poisoning which led to him significantly downsizing
I think Merkel’s heart issue was something completely genetic if I recall correctly, and was resolved post surgery. I actually got a chance to speak with him regarding it, and I can’t recall the exact condition but I believe it was Wolff-Parkinson-White (could be wrong but sounds familiar). As far as I know he’s still in it, just hasn’t competed in some time? I feel like he’s always been pretty offline as far as social media so it’s hard to tell

Also, his girlfriend Ava is incredibly impressive if you’ve ever seen her!

I remember w guy named Derrick Anthony. Got big pretty distended then something happened he started to look all puffy. Was in hospital. I think he said it was kidneys but there were rumors he did g4p and it was hiv related. Eventually died.
Anthony died of cancer.

I think Merkel’s heart issue was something completely genetic if I recall correctly, and was resolved post surgery. I actually got a chance to speak with him regarding it, and I can’t recall the exact condition but I believe it was Wolff-Parkinson-White (could be wrong but sounds familiar). As far as I know he’s still in it, just hasn’t competed in some time? I feel like he’s always been pretty offline as far as social media so it’s hard to tell

Also, his girlfriend Ava is incredibly impressive if you’ve ever seen her!
He’s been posting more lately, mainly on his stories and they’re mainly posts just complaining about people and things lol.

But it seems like he’s not done. Just trying to get back

How do you like Atlanta? That's one of the places I've thought about moving to

Ronnie Coleman Signature Series is alive and well, it seems?

A lot of these guys competed for a long time. I wouldn't say they "got out of the game early" unless your definition of early is at least a decade.
And I'm not sure how a bodybuilding career is supposed to "end" but they pretty much do a "last show" and then you don't really hear or see from them anymore because no one is any longer interested.
Stan McQuay - competed at least from 1998 to 2017
Santi Aragon - competed at least from 2007 to 2020
Branden Ray - competed at least from 2006 to 2017
Jason Huh- competed at least from 2004 to 2013
Frank McGrath- competed at least from 2001 to 2015
Lionel Beyeke- competed at least from 2008 to 2020

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?