over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Lets talk umbilical hernias

shermanatorx

Registered
I'd like to hear from both people who have gotten theirs repaired and people that have chosen to go without operation. Any insight is welcome, i'm not looking for anything in particular.

I have a pretty recent one and i'd like to get it repaired before it gets worse.

Thank you!

I "earned" my umbilical hernia going for extra reps I shouldn't have on the ab wheel.

Now I have to use a belt on rows, squats, deads, stifflegs that exceed 275lbs. Standing military press bothers me the worst--anything over 135lbs unbelted is excruciating. With the belt I don't feel it at all.

Mine originally stuck out a bit, but has since receded. I can still push it in a bit if I press it, but I feel like some of the tear must have healed on its own (although not completely). I was very careful after I noticed it and made sure not to do anything that aggravated it.

Since then I've deadlifted 550lbs and haven't had a problem. Like I said, strapping up with the belt seems to prevent the pain and further protrusion.

At this time I cannot afford the surgery (poor, in college) but plan to get it as the extra money comes in. I don't want to have to worry about it anymore.

I "earned" my umbilical hernia going for extra reps I shouldn't have on the ab wheel.

Now I have to use a belt on rows, squats, deads, stifflegs that exceed 275lbs. Standing military press bothers me the worst--anything over 135lbs unbelted is excruciating. With the belt I don't feel it at all.

Mine originally stuck out a bit, but has since receded. I can still push it in a bit if I press it, but I feel like some of the tear must have healed on its own (although not completely). I was very careful after I noticed it and made sure not to do anything that aggravated it.

Since then I've deadlifted 550lbs and haven't had a problem. Like I said, strapping up with the belt seems to prevent the pain and further protrusion.

At this time I cannot afford the surgery (poor, in college) but plan to get it as the extra money comes in. I don't want to have to worry about it anymore.

Making me rethink some of recent ab wheel workouts:eek::eek:

The bold is the biggest issue for me. The hernia itself doesn't hurt really, but it's not very confidence inspiring to know it's there.

fitnesskatz

i would strongly encourage you guys to get those repaired asap,,,they kind of like infection bite from a spider dont look bad at first but can become very bad

Making me rethink some of recent ab wheel workouts:eek::eek:

I did them for years without a problem, just went too crazy and chased reps I shouldn't have. In hindsight, I should have listened to the signs my body was giving me that it was time to stop. I think that's the important part of ANYTHING in the gym, but it's been a bit of a learning curve for me.

I had the surgery a couple of years ago with the mesh and all. The recovery period as far as pain was short lived like a couple weeks if that. The worst part was not training at all for a few months. See this was the second time. The first time the doc did not use mesh and I started training two months later and it happened again so I made sure to wait four months. After that I just trained upper body. No legs for a year and just started dead lifting again after two years post hernia surgery. I hit 350 a few months back and irritated the mesh. I thought I tore the mesh at first but I had it checked and it was fine. I used to deadlifts 700 but I am nervous about tearing the mesh so I just do lots of reps now with lighter weight

I had the surgery a couple of years ago with the mesh and all. The recovery period as far as pain was short lived like a couple weeks if that. The worst part was not training at all for a few months. See this was the second time. The first time the doc did not use mesh and I started training two months later and it happened again so I made sure to wait four months. After that I just trained upper body. No legs for a year and just started dead lifting again after two years post hernia surgery. I hit 350 a few months back and irritated the mesh. I thought I tore the mesh at first but I had it checked and it was fine. I used to deadlifts 700 but I am nervous about tearing the mesh so I just do lots of reps now with lighter weight

How old were you?

I'm 21 and im hoping that will play to my advantage, recovery wise.

Get it done if you can, it started effecting some movements with a sharp pain once in a awhile, plus not to mention looking down at it as it got worse year after year, i was back in the gym 3 weeks taking it easy no legs except calves, light weight on everything, 3 months back to normal lifting and its not light weight use, recovery is different for everyone and after surgery pain only a couple days just take it real easy the first couple weeks, hope this helps

Get it done if you can, it started effecting some movements with a sharp pain once in a awhile, plus not to mention looking down at it as it got worse year after year, i was back in the gym 3 weeks taking it easy no legs except calves, light weight on everything, 3 months back to normal lifting and its not light weight use, recovery is different for everyone and after surgery pain only a couple days just take it real easy the first couple weeks, hope this helps

Glad to hear your recovery was quick.

Had mine repaired coming up on two years ago.Good doc took into consideration that I'd be back lifting fairlyheavy again. Mesh under muscle.
i was very careful to not ruin the process by rushing things.
I doubt I would have ever become herniated under normal gym circumstances.
My hernia came about in 04 from a bad motorcycle accident. .Grand cherokee drove up onto my left shoulder and chest. I had two spots herniate. the umbilical got worse with time.
I tended to squat and train back with substantial wt unbelted.
That would have been fine except my injury was due to odd circumstances.
I'm really glad I had the repair . so far so good. I have not had any really heavy wt on my back since the repair due to other injuries.
Have bb rowed since the repair with fairly strict form up to 365 -405 unbelted .No problems (salt over the shoulder).
Get it fixed . It wont fix itself. Make sure the surgeon understands what you do. good luck,,, T..

2 1/2 weeks post op here. Had a 1 cm hole. Repaired by going through the hole, putting a 1" mesh behind it and stitching it up. Pain is getting less over time. No lifting. Walking is now better than in over a year. Will start more cardio in a week or two. Go back on 31st. Expect to be cleared for light lifting and ab work. Will do that for a month, then pick it up. Start heavier after 3 months.. Juice and get any lost size back.

I'v had umbilical and both sides of my groin repaired groin ones are a bit painful but umbilical easy just have to follow surgeons advice about getting back to the gym

I have my surgery scheduled for the 17th of this month. My surgeon told me that he won't know if he could use mesh until he opens me up. He's thinking it may be too small for mesh. I tried explaining to him that I would really want the mesh put in- I talked about how I train but he did not seem interested in hearing about it.

Also, I thought I would need a week off from work. He told me to have the surgery Thursday, take off Friday and I could go back to work Monday. My job is not at all physical.. I work at a computer all day.

I have to admit this thread is making me a little nervous. I thought I'd be back in the gym doing light training after 3 weeks.

I've had one now for about a year. Dr said nothing we can about it until it pops! So I don't even think about, when it goes I'll worry about it! It doesn't stop me from lifting heavy and it's size hasn't changed since I found it.

I'd like to hear from both people who have gotten theirs repaired and people that have chosen to go without operation. Any insight is welcome, i'm not looking for anything in particular.

I have a pretty recent one and i'd like to get it repaired before it gets worse.

Thank you!

I noticed mine the day after leg day (heavy leg press) while shaving my stomach in the shower... thought it was an ingrown hair, but it was too big and I pushed it and could feel the tear. lol..it's about the size of a penny, and hasn't gotten bigger over the past 6 months.

I've had one now for about a year. Dr said nothing we can about it until it pops! So I don't even think about, when it goes I'll worry about it! It doesn't stop me from lifting heavy and it's size hasn't changed since I found it.

Doc told me the same thing. I started training my abs again though and that seems to be helping a lot.

I got one about 9 months ago, about the size of a dime or a penny. Since its happened Im very careful not to put alot of pressure on that area, and I always wear a belt. The belt helps alot. It doesnt cause any pain, and 9 months later its not poking out any, it almost seems like its healed itself although I read that isnt possible.

i would strongly encourage you guys to get those repaired asap,,,they kind of like infection bite from a spider dont look bad at first but can become very bad

Agreed.Get it fixed ASAP.Dad`s doctor left his unchecked for several years,now it has led to some serious lower GI issues,among them a growth that might be cancerous.We will know more when he has his surgery in 2 weeks to relieve the damage it has done.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws