advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Metformin more beneficial with mega doses (3 grams)?

Biggerp73

Verified Customer
Registered
Verified Customer
Was doing some digging into high doses metformin and came across all these studies indicating doses of 2500mg to 3000mg provide benefits over lower doses, when given to normal sized people and females. I wonder if bodybuilders with much bigger size could benefit from the same doses or even higher. It seems most guys on here limit themselves to around 1gram per day.

What about the added side effects?

You already look good bro no need to get crazy lol

Well of course 3grams gives better blood glucose control in patients with type II diabetes than smaller doses. The same way 3g per week of Tren gives more muscle growth than 300mg per week - it's somewhat obvious.

However, it doesn't take into account side effects - most people would get stomach/GI issues on 3grams of metformin. That's probably an acceptable side effect if you have type II diabetes and your life depends on having stable blood glucose, but probably not for bodybuilders.

For bodybuilders who want to improve or maintain insulin sensitivity, 500mg to 1500mg is probably about right.

I'd disagree and strongly suggest against. Plenty of information and research out there to show that metformin can be prohibitive to hypertrophy.
Take enough for proper nutrient partitioning, but in this case, more is not better

I'd disagree and strongly suggest against. Plenty of information and research out there to show that metformin can be prohibitive to hypertrophy.
Take enough for proper nutrient partitioning, but in this case, more is not better
Is that really an issue when PEDs are in play? I haven't seen the studies but knowing how they're typically done I'm guessing they weren't on resistance-trained, PED-using bodybuilders.

Bigger chance of lactic acidosis on a higher dose? Especially if your kidneys are a bit weak.

Metformin destroys my stomach even on a normal dosage, couldn't imagine mega dosing it.

I'm going to go on a limb and say that the standard dosages, maybe a bit higher, will be more than enough for the majority of us. If you need more, then you should re-evaluate what is causing the issue to need more, whether it be diet or possibly have turned diabetic. I'd probably add a small dose of insulin before going to extreme dosages of Metformin....or experiment using it with other GDA's like ALA, etc....assuming you are needing more for blood sugar control. I guess I just don't see the point unless you have really bad blood sugar control....but then diet and everything else should be re-evaluated like I mentioned above.

I'd be open to hearing anything showing why it would be beneficial to go higher for normal users, or gear users who are not diabetic.

I got liquid squirts just reading the thread title honestly. I dunno how you peeps work up to handling that much.

I don't think he is saying he needs it just wondering if it would improve insulin sensitivity which would help with body composition.

I've never had side effects from metformin. At the same time, it is a drug and any drug is a double edged sword.

I would suggest against this. I accidentally dosed it at 2 grams and had the shakes real bad. Not scientific at all but was worrisome enough that I didnt try it again.

Is that really an issue when PEDs are in play? I haven't seen the studies but knowing how they're typically done I'm guessing they weren't on resistance-trained, PED-using bodybuilders.
I still say yes, even with PED use. Growth factors are reduced, and well as some downregulation of androgen receptors. In women with PCOS, metformin can be used to treat this because of the ability to decrease androgen expression. Also factor in myostatin production, which limits muscle fiber growth.
I found a video from Dave Palumbo that further goes into detail, especially regarding the insulin action

I started with 500mg a couple months ago and I'm using 1500mg now.

I haven't experienced any side effects and I'm as big as ever I'm terms of muscle size.

Thinking of going up to 2000mg in a week or two.

I started with 500mg a couple months ago and I'm using 1500mg now.

I haven't experienced any side effects and I'm as big as ever I'm terms of muscle size.

Thinking of going up to 2000mg in a week or two.
Why are you raising the dosage? Did 500mg - 1000mg not bring your blood glucose down?

Why are you raising the dosage? Did 500mg - 1000mg not bring your blood glucose down?
Dunno, I don't test my blood sugar. Just figure if average people get more benefits from higher doses that I would too.

Dunno, I don't test my blood sugar. Just figure if average people get more benefits from higher doses that I would too.

Surely that should be something you would check especially when taking much higher doses(?). That's the whole point of why people take/need this medication. What's the point of taking more if your FBG levels are already extremely low. Where are average people getting more benefits from using high doses? Nearly all the studies done on this are involving diabetics, obese people with underactive thyroid or other medical conditions that cause issues with blood glucose levels. Granted it can create some health benefits but I would be cautious with just using higher and higher doses just for the sake of it especially if your blood glucose levels are fine to begin with.

Surely that should be something you would check especially when taking much higher doses(?). That's the whole point of why people take/need this medication. What's the point of taking more if your FBG levels are already extremely low. Where are average people getting more benefits from using high doses? Nearly all the studies done on this are involving diabetics, obese people with underactive thyroid or other medical conditions that cause issues with blood glucose levels. Granted it can create some health benefits but I would be cautious with just using higher and higher doses just for the sake of it especially if your blood glucose levels are fine to begin with.

Agree with this less medicine is always better. I think he is implying that more will increase insulin sensitivity even more which could lead to a larger percentage of his calorie intake being put towards building lean tissue vs stored as fat?

I may be wrong but I was always under the impression that metformin/berberine are useful even for guys whose glucose is in range?

I know poor insulin sensitivity is bad but not sure if megadosiing it and being extremely sensitive to insulin would have benefits? I don't know enough about the science to determine def would like to hear yours and others thoughts.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws