over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Methods for calculating daily caloric needs

GeauxDATY

Registered
There are many formulas for calculating daily caloric requirements but which one is the best for us meat heads?

The BMR (basal metabolic rate) formula for men is:
(12.7 x your height in inches) + (6.23 x your weight in pounds) - (6.8 x your age in years). Add 66 to the total for the BMR.
From here one could use the Harris Benedict formula to calculate your caloric needs based on your activity level and BMR.

If you don't exercise or exercise little, multiply the BMR by 1.2 for daily calories.

If you take part in light exercise or sports 1-to-3 days each week, multiply the BMR by 1.375 for daily calories needed.

People who exercise moderately and/or play sports 3-to-5 days a week should multiply their BMR by 1.55

Active people who engage in strenuous sports or hard exercise 6-to-7 days a week need to multiply their BMR by 1.725.

People who engage in very physically challenging jobs or exercise, such as 2-a-day workouts, should multiply their BMR by 1.9 for daily caloric needs.

Another method is to simply multiply either your weight or LBM by a certain factor to determine how many grams of protein is needed an then extrapolate from there. For example:

A 200lb person at 10% BF would have a LBM of 180lbs. One could then multiply that number by 2.0grams of protein per lb of LBM to get 360grams of protein per day. Using this number one would simply decide the percentages of macros they want in their diet and calculate from there.

The last method that I'll discuss is multiplying your total bodyweight by a certain factor depending on what your goals are. For example:

A 200lb man wanting to only maintain his current weight would simply multiply 200lbs x 15 calories/lb = 3000 calories.

I know this is only a small fraction of the methods used and would like to know what method do you guys use and what has or hasn't worked for you in the past.
GeauxDATY

Someone will probably tell you "hire a trainer" lol

That formula is right.

to be certain, you could go to buy yourself a BMI machine, it will tell you wonders. It's not very expensive.

track everything you eat for a week or so. figure out your average calories and subtract or add 250-500 cals depending on if your trying to gain or lose wait. That's how I do it. works accurately for me........but you have to write EVERYTHING down for it to be accurate.

I am a trainer and my diet is spot on. The intent of this thread was to help those that need help and possibly learn something new myself.

Only way to get an accurate number is to keep a journal.. SEt a calorie amount. Eat it for a week to two weeks and see what happens with your weight.

Some calculators tell me my maintenance is 3000+...if I ate that I would gain weight.

While others say much less.

Also keep in mind, we require different amounts of calories on a daily basis.

Great post bro, good information.

G

Good info. Benedict is not perfect for bber's or elite athletes but gets you in the ballpark. Diet is the toughest think to get right, but when you got it, you got it. Age is def a factor, so is supplementation.

I don't watch calories unless im getting on stage...
clean up ur sugar intake, starchy foods, and sodium( which is higher then most know as far as daily intake)....
most of all, SLEEP and u will lean out and grow....

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Stromba926
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131