over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Mike Mentzer books?

Sampson

Registered
Which is the best one to read that sums up his training concepts, Im looking for a new way to train in the new year and need some good info.

Thanks

Look elsewhere.

Mike had many ideas about training that simply don't work - especially in his last book.

Why not try the new DC training video?

Hello
Sorry that I can't answer that fully but you should understand that Mentzer's training philosophy changed over time. When he competed he used a similar system to what Dorian Yates used, he then graduated to a system of less volume and less frquency which I disagree with. You could start by going on ebay and looking for his old training courses and also some old issues of Muscle Builder (1978-82)
I've done my fair share of research and suggest that if you've been training for five years or so and particularly if you've used high volume that one method you should consider and that is..... DC Training

His latest contains a bit of everything so I'd go for that one, think its called the wisdom of mentzer.

Also has the routine had dorian yates do in it

Heavy Duty 2... Mind and body is his classic work. The most important things I took from that book are:
1) Question the logic of everything in life. Dont blindly follow what others say.
2) Overtraining is very real.
3) The only way to trigger the growth mechanism is training to failure.

There are a lot of good things in the book. Some negatives are he really isnt well versed on diet, supplements.

I had the pleasure of speaking with him by phone a few times. Very willing to share his time. Very passionate about bodybuilding. You might also want to get Dorian's Blood and Guts video. Mentzer basics but slightly tweaked. If nothing else you'll be stoked to get to the gym!

Nice one fellas, I do have the Blood and Guts DVD and Im about to get the DC DVD. I really thought Dorians training in blood and guts was good but pretty standard stuff, moderate volume, low frequency and high intensity. If this is Mentzers work then I have been doing this forever.... Am I missing something here?
I would still like to read something by Mentzer to find out some of his philosophys on BB.

Nice one fellas, I do have the Blood and Guts DVD and Im about to get the DC DVD. I really thought Dorians training in blood and guts was good but pretty standard stuff, moderate volume, low frequency and high intensity. If this is Mentzers work then I have been doing this forever.... Am I missing something here?
I would still like to read something by Mentzer to find out some of his philosophys on BB.

Well again, Mentzer's ideas on bodybuilding changed greatly with time so I think you need to decided where in the time line you want to jump in. Mike went from a six or so set per bodypart system to a one set once a week to ten days or more. He felt that the bigger and stronger one got that the less one needed to train. I think he took this concept waaaaaaaay to far and I cannot fathom that one can build a great physique training a bodypart once every two weeks.
As far as DC is concerned I FIRMLY suggest you read everything you can on this system before you buy any tape

I tried Mikes diet once and all I lost was muscle, even though I done it briefly. He had more bizzare views than most bodybuilders.

Another thing...Mentzer's ideas are for the natural bodybuilder who would have a slower recovery process than a person using AAS. HIT is basically about recovery.
As far as Dorain...I think he perfected mentzer's ideas for the bodybuilder that uses AAS. Dorian trained to failure mentzer style but he used about 2x the workload mentzer suggests and hit each bodypart 1 time every 6 days.
Mike also said that he was overtrained when he was competing. He said he would have used his last system he developed if he competed today.
I really like Dorian's training system.

I think Dorian pretty much perfected the Mentzer's ideas for "real world" training.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws