over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

muscle recovery-how long?

guns123

Registered
how long does it take for a muscle to recover after a workout? how long should you wait after a session training one muscle until you can train it again?

i have heard conflicting numbers on this

i have read in a post by lats as low as 38 hours. and in posts by others as much as 7 days

well lets say you only do one rest pause set per muscle then you can train it again in a few days. if you do 16 sets you might need a week.

I literally spent 3 hours looking on pubmed for anything similar to the question you asked and came up with zip. Here's a question. Say you do 4 chest exercises in 7 days. does it matter if you break it up and do 2 exercises 2 times or 1 day 4 exercises? Are those 2 sets enough to stimulate growth? Are you recoverd enough after 2-3 days to hit the muscle again? Your thoughts please.....

WELL

MANY FACTORS INVOLVED.........BIG STUDY DONE IN AUSTRALIA THAT MY GOOD FRIEND AND BOARD MEMBER PARTICIPATED IN.....WHOLE NINE YARDS......MUSCLE BIOPSIES AND SUCH.....GOT SOME DEFINITIVE ANSWERS. I USE THE RESULTS ON MY CLIENTS AND IT SEEMS TO WORK QUITE WELL.

MANY FACTORS INVOLVED.........BIG STUDY DONE IN AUSTRALIA THAT MY GOOD FRIEND AND BOARD MEMBER PARTICIPATED IN.....WHOLE NINE YARDS......MUSCLE BIOPSIES AND SUCH.....GOT SOME DEFINITIVE ANSWERS. I USE THE RESULTS ON MY CLIENTS AND IT SEEMS TO WORK QUITE WELL.

:)

It's not the muscles that take a long time to recover it's the central nervous system.

PB

THINK ABOUT THIS

It's not the muscles that take a long time to recover it's the central nervous system.

PB

TRAIN BICEPS FOR 10 SETS.......DAY 1 SAY......NEXT DAY TRAIN BICEPS AGAIN.........WILL YOU BE AS STRONG? WOULD YOU BE STRONG ENOUGH TO SQUAT OR WOULD YOUR CNS BE TOO TAXED FROM THE BICEP CURLS FROM THE DAY BEFORE?

My response to the question was over simplified. With nearly 3 decades "under the bar" I have a pretty good idea of what works for me. Many others don't have that experience and they should turn to those that do for guidance. Now, I don't claim to know everything. There is always something new to learn. It's when you stop learning that you stop making progress.

PB

TRAIN BICEPS FOR 10 SETS.......DAY 1 SAY......NEXT DAY TRAIN BICEPS AGAIN.........WILL YOU BE AS STRONG? WOULD YOU BE STRONG ENOUGH TO SQUAT OR WOULD YOUR CNS BE TOO TAXED FROM THE BICEP CURLS FROM THE DAY BEFORE?

in my current training split thats almost the situation im in except its bi's and tri's the day after chest shoulders and back. on the second day its arms and legs including squats. i noticed that for the first few weeks my squat was not as strong on that second day but after a couple of weeks of hammering it out it seems to have caught up and the progression is as steady as with any other bodypart. i would attribute this to the CNS becoming accustomed to the new demand on it but thats just my guess i have no facts behind it. however if lets say in 6 weeks every weight does up by 50lbs for reps(just fictional numbers) maybe that increased load would cause a decrease in my ability to recover. and is cns recovery time able to be shortened by the same processes that would shorten muscle recovery time i.e. gear, proper nutrition, proper rest between training sessions. and is length of training session a factor as well like 45 min of lifting versus an hour and a half?

the generalized answer that I was taught years ago is: 24 hours for smaller muscles and 72 hours for larger muscles.

I think this is determined by one's genetics. Just like a pro passes all his buddys up in the gym even though they are using the same program, diet, aas, etc...some will heal or recover much faster than others and can train again sooner. This is just my opinion.

tkav a quick question, why do you work chest shoulders back then bis and tris in stead of chest shoulder tri (push) followed by back and bis (pull)? IM not trying to be a dick or anything, im just curious..

tkav a quick question, why do you work chest shoulders back then bis and tris in stead of chest shoulder tri (push) followed by back and bis (pull)? IM not trying to be a dick or anything, im just curious..

nah thats a good question. well heres my theory, it could be all wrong but besides a few stumbling blocks its been working great, if it was a simple push pull where do legs come in? for me to train each muscle 2 times a week and recover properly this seems to be the best split for me. it goes 2 days on, one off, 2 on , 2 off. now all exercises are done one working set to failure. the volume is low enough so that with proper nutrition i can recover and retrain a few days leter. for my body type i need 3 days of rest a week or i dont have enough time to recover and grow. if your curious as to the full details of what i do feel free to pm me.

cns

ok so if the cns being taxed is an issue i have another question

e.g day1 you do 9 sets, 3 working sets per body part-chest,back,shoulders.

you will be doing the same number of sets as you would if you just done 1 session spent on chest for 9 sets. in fact you will do more WORKING HEAVY sets (providing you only do 1-2 all out sets per exercise).

so..........after 1 day of training, 9 sets, compound exercises,no drugs (i know it will differ slightly each individual) how long will it take you cns to recover?

ok so if the cns being taxed is an issue i have another question

e.g day1 you do 9 sets, 3 working sets per body part-chest,back,shoulders.

you will be doing the same number of sets as you would if you just done 1 session spent on chest for 9 sets. in fact you will do more WORKING HEAVY sets (providing you only do 1-2 all out sets per exercise).

so..........after 1 day of training, 9 sets, compound exercises,no drugs (i know it will differ slightly each individual) how long will it take you cns to recover?

the only way i can answer that is through results. i do not have a scientific answer for that, but the results are there. i try to use a definitave method to judgs results by, 1 way is my log book, if the weight goes up week to week and the reps stay the same im definately getting stronger. 2 a mirror and a scale. this is something im experimenting with and for the past couple of months its been working for me. i may be going down the wrong path with this but to me it makes sence. im going to pound out the program until i have the money to hire phil and just have him tell me what to do. that way ill know im doing the right thing.

Intensity also plays a huge factor. I know a natural bb who trains his whole body 5 days a week. However, he never takes a set to failure (actually far from), rest very little in between sets. and is in/out within 1.5 hrs. When I tried to dig deep into why he trains the way he does, i concluded that he just doesn't know any better, and that's the way he's been doing it since day 1.

The guy is 5'6" 170, always ripped and could step on stage any day. Did someone say GENETICS??!!!

TKAV

nah thats a good question. well heres my theory, it could be all wrong but besides a few stumbling blocks its been working great, if it was a simple push pull where do legs come in? for me to train each muscle 2 times a week and recover properly this seems to be the best split for me. it goes 2 days on, one off, 2 on , 2 off. now all exercises are done one working set to failure. the volume is low enough so that with proper nutrition i can recover and retrain a few days leter. for my body type i need 3 days of rest a week or i dont have enough time to recover and grow. if your curious as to the full details of what i do feel free to pm me.

Dont overthink stuff.......you have a great build so you must be doing something right.

muscle recovers much faster than the cns.. but, the key is to train so tha the cns is not over taxed and numerous workouts can be achieved.. if one trains biceps for 6 sets once a week, why not do 3 sets twice a week?.. the same goes for anymuscle group really.. the issue is then can the joints take the repeated pounds of twice a week workouts.. or would it be more beneficial to split the amounts of sets in half so that the joints are not overtaxed or irritated by cutting the sets in half and training the muscle twice week..???? so what i am saying is that many in my gym would complain about aching joints.. well.. dont do 8 hard sets all in one day for delyts and the ligaments might thank you.. can a growth response be achieved in two or three sets?.. yes.. so if a growth response can be achieved in low volume and low volume does not tax the cns as hard and low volume does not irritate the joints ect ect and allows you to get a growth response twice a week ect ect.. well.. "i'm no rocket doctor..".. in other words it does not take a genius to figure this out.. i have aton more to add but, i am off to see the fights.. will be back later to finish.. i love thsi subject..;)

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws