advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

my friends' mom and her views on steroids...

joshbarnett

Kilo Klub Member
this is coming from one of my good friends mom talking about mark mcguire: i told her that he 49 in his rookie year when he was considered "skinny" and this is what she said:

"Following your analogy - because he was on steroids his first full year. 49 is a good number of home runs for a season. As he continued his career, he hit even more home runs...because he was on steroids. One can only wonder what he would have done if he hadn't enhanced his chemical make up with this potentially harmful drug. THAT would have been the real record. I worry about people and their decisions about their health
We all defend things we do but know we shouldn't. I still crave fried food and sometimes eat way too much salt. Is it good for me? No. Do I do it anyway? Yes. But, should I try harder not to? Yes, for my health. What is it all worth is we aren't healthy enough to enjoy it. We can all do better. I care about you
You know, Josh, It took years for a lawyer to prove that cigarette smoking directly related to a death. It is the general concensus that smoking is not good for you and can cause serious health problems. I'm sure you would agree.
Steroids are unproven drugs. Dr.s prescribe them all the time, but with cautions and restrictions. Even they ... Read Moredon't know what to believe. Again, I care about you and want you to live a long and healthy life. Drugs are a weird thing...sometimes their effects don't show up for a long time. Sometimes they don't show up until the next generation. Just be careful in your decisions"

Seems like sound advice. One must be cautious and learn as much as they can about what they are doing and how the body works and make the best decision for themselves. I think many grossly downplay the negative effects of gear but I've seen many older men, on this board even, who will openly talk about all the negatives they feel are related to their use. Many of these effects don't show up until many years down the road.

I think a person should ask themselves why they want to use gear and if it's worth it to them. If so, fine, perhaps they compete in a sport and it's an important part of their life but they should be educated about what they're doing and be honest with themselves.

Knowing what I know now being on TRT, if I had a normally functioning endocrine system (meaning good natural test levels) then I wouldn't risk it. In my experience natural is better hands down in terms of libido/sexual performance and overall health. But I could certainly understand other people wanting to use. Just don't do so out of ignorance or to be cool.

As he continued his career, he hit even more home runs...because he was on steroids.

hmmm. i guess the steroids gave mark the fine hand-eye coordination needed for hitting all those runs. i wonder how they did that? that also insults mark by saying the ONLY reason he made progress was because of steroids. so he wouldnt have made any progress otherwise?

This mother makes good sense.
With time you gain experience using and eating right. If you respect your body and don't abuse it, you can live a good healthly life. The ones that go on long very long cycles of orals or mega dosing everything, especially tren are at risk for long term health problems. If your not competing, I don't think you should take the risk.

I have taken aas for 14 yrs. I use about a gram of test for my base. Its because I get no affect from lower dosing anymore. But it took a very long time to get to that dose, which will give me the same affect of lets say 500 mg per week would. I'm not constantly on, its more of a cruise and blast according to my work load with my job. Still have to at my age and hold my family together, so I do it better with some chemical assistance doing physical work in the trades.

If you are going to use and it finally turns into a lifetime thing for you, I advise you to always monitor you health. You just can't say, "I feel good. You can do this or that. Its just a myth, you can run this or that for a very long time and you will be fine. Its all overated."

Yeah sure, you run with this way of thinking and you are putting yourself at risk. If you intend to run like this, at least do your bloodwork so you know where you stand each time you abuse your body.

I always get my bloodwork done. At the very least get my annual check up done. My doc says I'm in great shape. He doesn't know I'm on anything, but I can tell he is wondering how I can hold on to so much muscle at my age. I come up on top with every test given to me. Except for the exception of my liver. I always keep the levels within range now because I dropped orals.

My BP now is 109/77. Cholesterol is 140. Right now taking gh hrt dosing and I'm in the best shape of my life at 55years old. I sport a body that is better than 90% of the ppl in my gym. Its rare to see someone my age holding a six pac with obliques showing.

We may have to age but we can slow it down and be strong and healthy to age gracefully. I don't see myself being a decrepit old man the last 20 or so years of my life. Rather be dead than to go thru that. :)

hmmm. i guess the steroids gave mark the fine hand-eye coordination needed for hitting all those runs. i wonder how they did that? that also insults mark by saying the ONLY reason he made progress was because of steroids. so he wouldnt have made any progress otherwise?

This is her point I think with saying "We all defend things we do but know we shouldn't."

I do agree with the concept your saying Stewie...but I think and maybe wrong, the bigger picture in the post was that she cares a lot about josh and was trying to give him some caring advice without condemning peoples choices.

The cigarette analogy kind of does make me step back for a second and pause...can’t lie.
Cigarettes were everywhere when they hit the scene, and even with the knowledge we have now are still huge.
Steroids are fairly new, well at least to the level they are now. And the money surely isn’t there for studies like it is for cigarettes.

Either way...its sounds like you have a good person in your life Josh that cares about you and has a very classy way of delivering her message.

I think her concern for Josh is important and shows she loves him as a person. But when we don't under stand things we fear them, fear for the worst possible scenario.

Moderate use will give you a better chance at a healthy life as appossed to abuse.

I don't like the part though when people don't have first hand knowledge of these substances and they automatically assume that they make you a great athlete. They may make you stronger and faster, but those attributes alone don't make you great.

I agree with her

She makes as much sense as anyone when she says we really don't know. Sorry, but when people die in their thirties from manifestations of possible steroid abuse sides it's tough to argue with her.

Now post up her photo and stats!:rolleyes:

Sounds like caring advice.

Sounds like good advice and she cares for you obviously. Instead of being like those morons that try to shove their anti-steroid propaganda bullshit on you, she's telling you to be careful and presenting her views in a mature appropriate way.

I think she is right on. I think most of us are too close to the issue to have a clear view on it. I think this board and bbing as a whole minimizes the damaging effects of steroids and rationalizes it. When Bald Nazi and Maldorf went through their health issues everyone gets contemplative and wonders about their own usage, but with time those concerns fade and the quest for the perfect physique resumes.

I didn't want to reply to this, because i know i'll get shit for it...
but life and "quality" of life isn't about health and how long you can push your body to live...
i knew people who died at the age of 38 that had MUCH MORE QUALITY in life than people who died at the age of 90.
you have 2 options here (the way i see it), and yes, there are happy mediums but please try to get my point...
on the day you die, you either have a list of 100 things you did that made you and people around you happy while taking 10-20 years off your life
or
having a list with 1 thing on it that reads "I stayed away from everything i wanted to do just to live 20 more years NOT doing what i wanted to do"

If you are a mature human being... really, you're smart enough to know what's good and what's bad for you... don't be retarded. almost everything we do that's "fun" or takes stress off your back is harmful to your health. smoking, drinking, unprotected sex with 1 night stands, drugs, extreme sports, steroids... etc. it's a matter of balance and what YOU want in life, and how to acheive it without fucking up your other responsibilities.

I didn't want to reply to this, because i know i'll get shit for it...
but life and "quality" of life isn't about health and how long you can push your body to live...
i knew people who died at the age of 38 that had MUCH MORE QUALITY in life than people who died at the age of 90.
you have 2 options here (the way i see it), and yes, there are happy mediums but please try to get my point...
on the day you die, you either have a list of 100 things you did that made you and people around you happy while taking 10-20 years off your life
or
having a list with 1 thing on it that reads "I stayed away from everything i wanted to do just to live 20 more years NOT doing what i wanted to do"

If you are a mature human being... really, you're smart enough to know what's good and what's bad for you... don't be retarded. almost everything we do that's "fun" or takes stress off your back is harmful to your health. smoking, drinking, unprotected sex with 1 night stands, drugs, extreme sports, steroids... etc. it's a matter of balance and what YOU want in life, and how to acheive it without fucking up your other responsibilities.

Amen to that. Great post bro. I agree that living your life and accomplishing things and doing what you want to do to a certain extent is better than dying in your old age without accomplishing things because you were afraid to take risks.

I think once you guys get married and have families your views will change greatly. No amount of muscle, trophies, money, or any other superficial reward compares to watching your children growing up and having the satisfaction in having a great family. This is all so secondary to the things that really matter. At this point you become concerned about your mortality and the macho mentality subisdes.

I think once you guys get married and have families your views will change greatly. No amount of muscle, trophies, money, or any other superficial reward compares to watching your children growing up and having the satisfaction in having a great family. This is all so secondary to the things that really matter. At this point you become concerned about your mortality and the macho mentality subisdes.

thats assumes that ALL people have the desire to have familes and children. for people that do, i imagine its a life changing experience like you have said.

some people may not want a family or children, they have different viewpoints and goals. arnold has no children, maria shriver is his wife but is that a family? look at his accomplishments, he made something of himself, all without kids or family.

Whether you have a family or not, surrounding yourself with people who care in your life is a hell of a lot more fulfilling than having 20" arms.

At some point glorifying yourself due to the amount of muscle tissue you carry will be a hollow experience. I see so many times on this board people coming off as feeling that they are better than others because they train and are bigger. Its sad.

I enjoy training, but if that were the focus of my life, and I was willing to sacrifice everything else in order to chase the perfect physique, from the outside looking in, its pathetic. I really feel that this "sport" is fed from individuals insecurity rather than a true drive to achieve anything other than feeling that you are better than others. Of course there are exceptions to this, but from my 15 years of training, I would say a good 75% of gym rats fit in this category.

thats assumes that ALL people have the desire to have familes and children. for people that do, i imagine its a life changing experience like you have said.

some people may not want a family or children, they have different viewpoints and goals. arnold has no children, maria shriver is his wife but is that a family? look at his accomplishments, he made something of himself, all without kids or family.

arnold has 4 kids http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000216/bio

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08