over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

OT - Living in California

Shelby

IFBB PRO / Double Featured Member/Kilo Klub
IFBB PROS
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
For those that live there, or have lived there, what do you consider the pros and cons?

I'm guessing the biggest con most will mention will be cost of living, and the biggest pro will be the weather and lifestyle... but want to get some firsthand opinions.

Thanks

you hit it RIGHT on the nailhead Shelby.

I lived in Southern California pretty much my whole life (Orange County area).

CONS: Cost of living. A 2 bed 2 bath apt ANYWHERE in OC kiiiillled my pocketbook. Was much easier to look just outside in Riverside county.

PROS: Weather. Never really drops below 50 during the year which is great. I grew up by the beach which was awesome as well. Lifestyle. The West coast is just different. I'm living in Atlanta right now so i can definitely attest to that. Not saying CA is better or anything but depending where you live in CA, there are nice cars, nice homes and good looking women everywhere. No need for a winter bulk there, you are going to want to stay lean year round :D.

UP FOR GRABS:The People. Ehh this can be a PRO or a CON. I definitely feel after living in the south for a couple months AND making the long cross country drive from CA to GA, that people in CA are in their own fuckin world. They think CA is the shit and don't really care what else is goin on in the rest of the US. I am not try to generalize an entire state population because i am a CA boy at heart but still. You make like the people or hate the people. After mentioning i grew up in Orange County, people either tell me they visited and loved it or visited and never want to go again.

hope that helps a little :eek:

Shelby, where exactly in CA are you thinking of? Southern California and Northern usually have pretty different opinions when talking about cities.

you hit it RIGHT on the nailhead Shelby.

I lived in Southern California pretty much my whole life (Orange County area).

CONS: Cost of living. A 2 bed 2 bath apt ANYWHERE in OC kiiiillled my pocketbook. Was much easier to look just outside in Riverside county.

PROS: Weather. Never really drops below 50 during the year which is great. I grew up by the beach which was awesome as well. Lifestyle. The West coast is just different. I'm living in Atlanta right now so i can definitely attest to that. Not saying CA is better or anything but depending where you live in CA, there are nice cars, nice homes and good looking women everywhere. No need for a winter bulk there, you are going to want to stay lean year round :D.

UP FOR GRABS:The People. Ehh this can be a PRO or a CON. I definitely feel after living in the south for a couple months AND making the long cross country drive from CA to GA, that people in CA are in their own fuckin world. They think CA is the shit and don't really care what else is goin on in the rest of the US. I am not try to generalize an entire state population because i am a CA boy at heart but still. You make like the people or hate the people. After mentioning i grew up in Orange County, people either tell me they visited and loved it or visited and never want to go again.

hope that helps a little :eek:

Shelby, where exactly in CA are you thinking of? Southern California and Northern usually have pretty different opinions when talking about cities.

Thanks TOO. I'm moving to northern California in about a week and a half... not too far from San Francisco (Walnut Creek area).

Cost of living like you said. However, there are smaller communities where the COL is cheaper. Up north, yeah, no offense peeps, but northern California folks are more down to earth. Walnut creek area San Fran area is great place to be. Traffic another downfall especially up there and sorry pal earthquakes are always a threat lol. Lots of yuppie/hippy/ liberal peeps around the city too. Just get your share of Glenn beck in the morning and you'll be fine. Lol

Southern CA and Northern CA are quite different.
I agree with everything TheOtherOne55 said about the Southern part of the state.
I'm here up north, not far from Walnut Creek. It does get colder up here (but still awesome weather compared to the rest of the nation). There will be less of the Hollywood type women and flashy cars up here, less smog, less traffic, etc.

In my experience, people generally are a little more down to earth up here than in SoCal. That being said, I have spent a lot of time in the Southern US, and the people there are much more friendly and easy going compared to all of California.
I really agree with TheOtherOne55 about many Californians being in their own world and thinking CA is the best thing on the planet. Many people from here never leave the state but automatically assume there is nothing good out there.

Last edited:
For those that live there, or have lived there, what do you consider the pros and cons?

I'm guessing the biggest con most will mention will be cost of living, and the biggest pro will be the weather and lifestyle... but want to get some firsthand opinions.

Thanks

CA is unbeatable. I miss it so much. Lived in Berkeley and SF between 1987 and 1993.

For me and my work, the choices are really NYC vs. CA.

CA Pros:
weather, beautiful, diverse people, great food, lots to do

Cons:
it's better to be a single straight guy in New York. (I've heard southern CA is better than northern CA).
depending on your biz CA can be good or bad place. For me, NY is rather better.
Cost of living is high in CA, but that's true in NY too.

Thanks TOO. I'm moving to northern California in about a week and a half... not too far from San Francisco (Walnut Creek area).

Pros: Great weather. Great scenery, if your in certain places innorcal like me, your an hour away from everything ( san fran, beach, snow/mountain ( in the winter ), lots of interesting people.

Cons: The state is in terrible shape right now. There are zero jobs out there. I have friends with masters working sales job 14 hours a day making shit comission if they have a job at all. Cost of living. Everything is fuckin expensive. In walnut creek its fucking ridiculous. Be ready to pay $1500 for a shitty 1 bedroom apt. Did I mention there are no jobs? Traffic is terrible, people are fuckin rude. Most smart ppl I know are getting out of here. If all my family didnt leave here Id be out too. Taxes are ridiculous. I just paid $300 for my car registration last month. About double what I paid 3 years ago. Gas is $4 a gallon. I can go on and on........

Good luck and have fun. But its a terrible time to move to cali. Have u not been reading about the terrible situation california is in?

Yeah I have lived all over the United States and I love it here in Nor Cal...

The best part is definitely the location....Not to far from the beach, not to far from the mountains....Yosemite is only a couple of hours away... Tons of stuff to do nearby in SF, San Jose etc...Go check out Point Reyes...Awesome...
I think the people up here in Nor Cal are great for the most part....More down to earth then in So Cal definitely..
Great Food in the area too...

The traffic does suck though..
And the state's budget is a mess...Huge Deficit, and I do not see that changing any time soon. Also unemployment is around 11% which makes CA the second highest state in the USA behind Nevada...That being said more and more people I talk to are finding jobs.

Best of luck with your move...CA is a great place...Like I said I have lived everywhere, and Nor Cal is the best place I have lived...

I live in Vegas now, but I was born and raised in Cali. Norcal is completely different from Southern California. Its to damn expensive to live in California. Gas, traffic, renting an apartment is brutal on the wallet. Home prices are scary high too!
But, you cant beat the weather or the women and its perfect if you're a bodybuilder or just living a healthy lifestyle.

I live in Vegas now, but I was born and raised in Cali. Norcal is completely different from Southern California. Its to damn expensive to live in California. Gas, traffic, renting an apartment is brutal on the wallet. Home prices are scary high too!
But, you cant beat the weather or the women and its perfect if you're a bodybuilder or just living a healthy lifestyle.

How do you like Vegas as compared to Norcal? In terms of cost of living, weather, people, etc.

Thanks for all the input so far guys, much appreciated. I don't think Cali will be a long term thing for me, but I'll be there for at least a year or so.

I lived in So Cal awhile back and have spent a fair amount of time in the Bay Area. The biggest con for me was the traffic...it's horrible in both places. Also, the urban sprawl...although, you can get to some nice areas quicker from San Fran.

The cost of living seems much worse in San Fran...and while the weather is generally nice through the winter (although, I prefer a snowy winter), I've found the summers to be cool and foggy in San Fran proper and along the beach. If you want sunny and warm, look on the east side of the Bay Area.

Shelby,

I used to live close to the Walnut Creek area but I had to move 30 min east to be closer to the Central Valley for work. It is a very nice city. You have access to BART (train system) and it is pretty close to alot of things. I moved to CA from TX so I definately understand the big difference in cost of living. WC is one of the nicer cities in the East Bay though and if my work did not move, I would be living in that city.

Thanks

You cannot beat SoCal near the beach but, away from any ghetto.

You're correct though...It's the cost of living that's the con.

My wife travels there regulary for work( san diego). She wanted us to move there but when I looked at what it cost to buy a house, I had to shoot her down. :D

To live there and have the lifestyle we like was just not doable.
It it nice though. Good luck.

Shelby I've lived in the Sonoma County area my whole life...which isn't far from walnut creek or anything. Pro's of the bay area are definitely the weather and scenery. Food is amazing and everything is really close by (food, stores, scenery, etc) Cons to me is the cost of living, gas prices which are on the rise here again...gonna see close to $5 a gallon this summer, and the people in this area are definitely in there own world (ignorance and stuck up people, when you here about californians with there noses up this is the area)
But all in all shelby I wouldn't trade it for anything, beautiful area with access to everything you could want

I live in Orange County, CA... the best place I have ever been!

I live 2 blocks from the beach and I dont know why anyone would live anywhere else!!

Pros: Great weather. Great scenery, if your in certain places innorcal like me, your an hour away from everything ( san fran, beach, snow/mountain ( in the winter ), lots of interesting people.

Cons: The state is in terrible shape right now. There are zero jobs out there. I have friends with masters working sales job 14 hours a day making shit comission if they have a job at all. Cost of living. Everything is fuckin expensive. In walnut creek its fucking ridiculous. Be ready to pay $1500 for a shitty 1 bedroom apt. Did I mention there are no jobs? Traffic is terrible, people are fuckin rude. Most smart ppl I know are getting out of here. If all my family didnt leave here Id be out too. Taxes are ridiculous. I just paid $300 for my car registration last month. About double what I paid 3 years ago. Gas is $4 a gallon. I can go on and on........

Good luck and have fun. But its a terrible time to move to cali. Have u not been reading about the terrible situation california is in?

Everybody is leaving Cali...!!

Thats like saying. "Nobody goes to eat at that restaurant... it sucks, because its always too crowded!". LOL!

Hey Shelby,
Walnut Creek is a nice place. VERY expensive though, housing-wise. I was born and raised in CA. San Francisco, went to Berkeley, and lived in Walnut Creek, Alameda, and Kensington. There are some cool places there. The weather is great, almost always. Beaches abound. Girls are here and there.

Cons: The people. I can't explain it. Walnut Creek folks may not be your cup of tea. There are exceptions though. The people in Berkeley, San Francisco, and my favorite, Alameda, are cool.

Northern vs. Southern, I'd take northern. But I was raised there, so I'm biased...
I live in Europe now, but if I weren't here, I'd live in SF.

Everybody is leaving Cali...!!

Thats like saying. "Nobody goes to eat at that restaurant... it sucks, because its always too crowded!". LOL!

There are a lot of people moving from CA to Texas. I am in Real Estate and you would be amazed at the amount of relocations we see from CA.
I sell new homes and about 10% of my homeowners are from CA in my community. Literally.

It's great in Northern California. I don't live too far from Walnut Creek. That is a nice area....High dollar too! Even in this down economy and real estate market the median home price in Walnut Creek is $511,559. Don't listen to all of the liberal -vs- conservative talk...Just enjoy the state for what it is....Use your eyes....it's a beautiful place to live. Welcome to the great state!!

Last edited:

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GhostriderTX
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner