advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Over 40 Guys - Do you schedule off weeks?

triathloncoach

Featured Member / Kilo Klub / Board Supporter
Featured Member
Board Supporter
I'm 46, and have been training for 30 years. I was just thinking that I haven't missed more than 2 consecutive days of working out in more than 14 months. Of course some of my workouts are considerably more intense than others. I'm on HRT and I feel great. But it's probably counter productive not to take a week off from the weights once in a while.

I'm going to Florida for 3 days this weekend and I was trying to locate a local gym when I realized that it's probably better if I just skip the exercise.

Do you guys "Periodize" your workouts for time off? I guess I'm new to DVDs and figured I could just keep marching. I still love going to the gym - or hitting the weights in my basement.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm 46 as well and Ive always taken a week to 10 days off every 8-12 weeks. No training at all just some light walking outside with the wife and stretching everyday. The older ya get the more you need a little break. But I benefited from taking a break way back when I was in my 20's too.

Since getting back in shape 1 year ago, I work out at least 6 days a week, but I am never in the gym more than 50 mins and that includes my cardio(swiming). I am 37 but close to 40. I have a all or nothing personality. Heck, I have been on vacation 4 times in the last year and worked out every day while on vacation. Working out also is like my drug. It keeps me very mellow. I very rarely get mad. I need it.

I'm 45, I used to take a week off every 8 weeks or so but still would hit the weights lightly.

Now I don't plan taking time off. If I feel I need a day off I take it. If something comes up out of the blue that makes me miss a day I look at it as an added day of rest, but that situation rarely comes up since I work out first thing in the morning.

My workouts are also short and hard, rarely in the gym longer than an hour.

im 43, week off every 12 weeks.

I'm 53 and I listen to how my body feels and take breaks accordingly. I find it as important to rest as it is to train, seems at an older age the muscles have a longer recooperation period and rest does the muscles good. I feel my muscles are fuller and stronger after resting for about a week.

I'm 47 and training DC-style, so there are the "cruise" phase every 6-10 weeks which entails at least 1 week off for me- sometimes 10 days. It works perfect for me. The only challenge for me was learning to stay OUT of the gym as much as I was used to- mentally it hurt to only go 3 days a weeks, but I love it now, and need the extra rest. It really is good for my mind and CNS to "cruise".

EDIT: The trick is you do not "schedule" a cruise- you blast until your body tells you it needs a rest- you cannot plant that "in 8 weeks I will take a week off" or it defeats the purpose.

Last edited:
I am 47 and I look forward to taking a week off every two to three months. My body tells me it is time to just sit back and recoup either by walking or riding the bike with NO weights!! I seem to come back with more energy and a better attitude.

I am 49 and the only extended time off I have had from the gym is after recovering from a surgery or if I am on vacation. And I have not had either one of those in a few years. I think talking a week off or more on acassion can be good to let the joints heal some. But I have not put it into practice yet!

Not scheduled, but there are times when I dont make it

41 here and just back off intensity if needed is what I do.If I take time off 1 day turns into 2 etc.. I do much better when sticking to the same routine.

I'm 65 (I know, older than dirt) and I do periodize for time off. If something unusual comes up, well that's an additional day off most of the time. I don't sweat the catch-up sessions as much.

Triathalon Coach, I never have scheduled any breaks.

It no doubt has value and would most likely be beneficial.

My self loathing is such that I will not bring myself to rest much. :eek:

im 46 bro and i dont schedule time off but there are time i just cant make a workout for one reason or another. then thers times a just feel i need to take a week and recoop and then hit it fresh. but about 2 times a year for me i actually just came off a 2 week rest well not so much rest but my job had me on 10 hours 7 days. after that i needed a couple weeks. just take it if you need it it aint the end of the world enjoy vaction.

The older I get the more off time I need. A week off twice a year is a must for me.

I'm 47 and training DC-style, so there are the "cruise" phase every 6-10 weeks which entails at least 1 week off for me- sometimes 10 days. It works perfect for me. The only challenge for me was learning to stay OUT of the gym as much as I was used to- mentally it hurt to only go 3 days a weeks, but I love it now, and need the extra rest. It really is good for my mind and CNS to "cruise".

EDIT: The trick is you do not "schedule" a cruise- you blast until your body tells you it needs a rest- you cannot plant that "in 8 weeks I will take a week off" or it defeats the purpose.

X2...if not I'll enter the overtraining zone...breaks are necessary.

I alaways take a week off in late july when I go on vacation with my family. Alot of walking and swimming but do not touch a weight. Then in nov or dec I will schedule 3-4 days off. Other than that, unless there is an emergency, I never miss a workout and my schedule is 6-7 days a week. Those scheduled breaks keep me energized for all my workouts until the next scheduled time off. this is been my training philosiphy for over 20 years off hardcore training!

damm guys,

your making me feel bad and lazy now, i am 28 and just took a full week off after 4.5 full months....
i think this is good to do a few times a year...

I have scheduled de load weeks in my training ,but at 51 sometimes my body tells me a day or 2 off is needed. J.R.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws