over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Overhead Pressing Do you do them?

jdoisjohnny

Registered
So I figure everyone does overhead pressing, but i've started doing the TJ2 and I use to follow more of a west side philosophy and I didn't focus on over head pressing as much. Anyway I know overhead pressing isnt a competition lift, but there is something raw about it to me.

So my question is do you guys do it how hard and do you do it standing or seated. I was thinking about doing it standing for my main lift because it isnt a competition lift and I think it would be cool to just be able to press heavy over my head while i'm standing. I also think that it will still transfer over to my bench anyways regardless of being seated or standing.

So what do you think standing or seated?

I still do them because my shoulders don't hurt but I only do 5 working sets because my front delts get enough work from chest day. If you're a powerlifter, doing them standing would be more beneficial than sitting because it engages your entire core and legs.

Standing is good.

Seated on your ass with your feet out in front of you is the most effective way though.

Zydrunas presses. Prepare for pain.

What do you mean most effective like for over all gains on bench? and Zydrunas and poundstone are awesome at the log press it's very raw and inspiring to see that type of poundage pushed over head especially since both of them barely use any leg drive. They do very strict presses which is interesting to me cause I figure they would make it easier on them selves so they could lift more by using the legs

Probably one of the most effective overall upper body strength movements. Even for bench. If you do it correctly you activate your upper chest well.

If you can zydrunas press 300... your bench is MUCH higher...

If your Z-press goes up, so does your bench.

I still do them because my shoulders don't hurt but I only do 5 working sets because my front delts get enough work from chest day. If you're a powerlifter, doing them standing would be more beneficial than sitting because it engages your entire core and legs.

**broken link removed**

Probably one of the most effective overall upper body strength movements. Even for bench. If you do it correctly you activate your upper chest well.

If you can zydrunas press 300... your bench is MUCH higher...

If your Z-press goes up, so does your bench.

what are these z presses you speak of do you have a youtube vid I can watch

I have trouble getting much past 145 strict. I do them even before I bench.

what are these z presses you speak of do you have a youtube vid I can watch

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7lPy-8ttwo]Zydrunas Press - YouTube[/ame]

Brutal. Very humbling. Don't expect to lift heavy... but when they go up... so does everything else.

I like it I want to try it, but I would only be able to do it after my normal overhead press work. I'd probably have to go super light... thanks for showing me this though

Zydrunas Press - YouTube

Brutal. Very humbling. Don't expect to lift heavy... but when they go up... so does everything else.

Personally that's not something I would ever do. There is no back support nor is there leg support. All that weight is bearing down on the bottom of your spine which can't be good for you.

Zydrunas Press - YouTube

Personally that's not something I would ever do. There is no back support nor is there leg support. All that weight is bearing down on the bottom of your spine which can't be good for you. Could easily have a disc in your spine slip.

Yeah, it forces you to use your abs. If you don't use your abs, you load your spine and then you can't complete the rep, similar to a squat. The exercise demands perfect form by default or it just won't work.

Squats are bad for your knees
Deadlifts are bad for your back :D

Yes

Years ago, before I trained in a gym all I had was an olympic bar and about 600 lbs worth of plates in my shed. My main pressing movement was the standing overhead press. I worked up to 215 lbs at 200lbs while I was still natty. If i could have taught myself to clean a bit more efficiently I'm pretty sure I could have done more. Once I joined the gym the Bench was the the big thing so I put most of my effort into that and once I learned how to bench press properly I was actually had a decent bench press. I attribute much of that to the shoulder and triceps strength I developed overhead pressing. These days I mostly do push presses because they're a great triceps overload move and that has more carryover to my bench than the overhead press. Also, I never saw much point for seated pressing of any kind-though I'm not a bodybuilder so who knows; maybe there is but I think it would be better to just do steep incline presses because that's what most heavy seated presses turn into anyway. As for behind the neck presses they never felt comfortable so I didn't do them but a lot of accomplished powerlifters-notably Ed Coan- did them as bench assistance to good effect.

Yah, I was so excited about z presses i've been telling everyone about them haha. I also might throw them in as accessory work on bench day every once in a while. I'm so happy you guys showed me this.

I'm not seeing how a z press in much difference than an OHP. And how that's in any way better?

Yeah, it forces you to use your abs. If you don't use your abs, you load your spine and then you can't complete the rep, similar to a squat. The exercise demands perfect form by default or it just won't work.

Squats are bad for your knees
Deadlifts are bad for your back :D

I'm not going to argue with you on what you said because it's true. However, my point was that I personally would never do those types of military presses because of the amount of stress it could put my lower back which already has 2 ruptured discs. I still deadlift 405 for reps(oh the irony), but prefer to do exercises that put a lot of strain on the lower back with a belt on or seated for extra back support. If those types of presses work for you and you have not suffered any back pain or injury, then by all means continue to do them.

I'm not going to argue with you on what you said because it's true. However, my point was that I personally would never do those types of military presses because of the amount of stress it could put my lower back which already has 2 ruptured discs. I still deadlift 405 for reps(oh the irony), but prefer to do exercises that put a lot of strain on the lower back with a belt on or seated for extra back support. If those types of presses work for you and you have not suffered any back pain or injury, then by all means continue to do them.

Agreed.

Not everyone is hinged properly to do any sort of standing presses. I look at OLY lifters from the side and my delts want to pop off of my body.

I stick to heavy seated DB Presses

I'm not seeing how a z press in much difference than an OHP. And how that's in any way better?

Zero way of cheating. Zero lower body. Insane torso activation.

By virtue of not being able to lift as much weight but still getting the same muscle activation, it is a good lift to work in.

True! ALL exercises have their risks if not done correctly. If you can't do it correctly then don't do it!

Key point: this is a strongman movement, NOT a bodybuilding movement.

In almost every single strongman event the back is in a compromised position. Doing technique work with lifts like this help to strengthen those weaker areas. That's why crazy lifts like this and zercher lifts are so effective. They provide a means for working the back in a compromised position without the "random" shear force in a strongman event during competition.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear