over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Paul Carter on volume

I don't want people to mistake my last post as not thinking the details are important because the details are everything. I am really detailed in my own approach and will only train higher volume if I know the rest of my day (food, sleep, stress, work etc) can facilitate it. Training is everything but I will say most fail because of an inconsistency in all areas away from training (diet, sleep etc). I know lot's of people who train hard/well in a structured program but most can't eat or sleep consistently over the long term. They may do 1 month but usually fall off. My training is probably more detailed than most on this thread and it's all about finding those details in execution whilst following sensible volume/frequency etc. When you have been training for years it's the only way to be because you obviously want to continually improve all areas so you are going to get more and more detailed in your approach. At the same time I know loads of really enhanced guys and most of them aren't micro-managing training... it's basic, consistent and intense.

It's just for the vast majority of guys on here who are not getting the results they want it's really not in the details but the basic principles of bodybuilding. They will want to know how much of x y and z to inject and the order to do so and minutes pre and post training. Many do the same for training but they have never ate consistently for 6 months straight before. If someone has been doing the basics consistently for years then sure then you have to micro manage everything (including training) in order to carry on progressing.

I think the issue for most guys is under-recovering via poor sleep / supplementation / diet / training structure / etc. rather than overtraining.

Exactly.

I don't want people to mistake my last post as not thinking the details are important because the details are everything. I am really detailed in my own approach and will only train higher volume if I know the rest of my day (food, sleep, stress, work etc) can facilitate it. Training is everything but I will say most fail because of an inconsistency in all areas away from training (diet, sleep etc). I know lot's of people who train hard/well in a structured program but most can't eat or sleep consistently over the long term. They may do 1 month but usually fall off. My training is probably more detailed than most on this thread and it's all about finding those details in execution whilst following sensible volume/frequency etc. When you have been training for years it's the only way to be because you obviously want to continually improve all areas so you are going to get more and more detailed in your approach. At the same time I know loads of really enhanced guys and most of them aren't micro-managing training... it's basic, consistent and intense.

It's just for the vast majority of guys on here who are not getting the results they want it's really not in the details but the basic principles of bodybuilding. They will want to know how much of x y and z to inject and the order to do so and minutes pre and post training. Many do the same for training but they have never ate consistently for 6 months straight before. If someone has been doing the basics consistently for years then sure then you have to micro manage everything (including training) in order to carry on progressing.
^^^^exactly... CONSISTENCY!!!!!

GODDAMN you guys way overthink training. I honestly do not know one single black person that thinks about training like some of you guys do, effective sets, reps, how many times to train a muscle , bla bla bla. We just go into the gym and DO WORK! You work hard and reap the benefits, end of story. I've seen prison brothers do the most insane workouts and they don't stress about recovery, or overtraining. We work, we grow, the same applies to white guys in prison, they just fucking work and get fucking jacked. When I was younger it was all about out working your workout partner, you tried to bury him each workout and he tried to do the same to you...those were the years I made my best gains.
I will bite on this with a contrarian point of view. First, I think we all agree that for hypertrophy purposes, no matter what split you do, frequency etc. you have to train HARD. So, this is a given.

But, lets take a look at the "big 3" when it comes to bodybuilding. Training *** Diet *** Supplements/Drugs.

I simply do not believe that when it comes to training, we (collectively) in 2021 have it all figured out and that there is no possible way to train more effectively or efficiently than we currently do. That would be extremely presumptuous of us. If we foster the belief about training, "just train hard and don't overthink it" and applied that mindset to DIET the sport would have made no progress since the 1960s. Guys would still be prepping for shows by eating hamburger and drinking a gallon of milk a week before they step on stage. And if we applied this logic to DRUGS/supplements, we would all be as big as humanly possible taking test, a handful of D-Bol and dessicated liver tabs. But science has taken us a long way when it comes to diet and drugs. So why assume it cannot do the same when it comes to training?

I find value in these hypertrophy studies. Why? Because we simply don't know what or even IF there is an optimal way to train. Sure, we know many styles that are effective. But, what about optimal?

Why is it OK to evolve when it comes to diet and drugs, but remain stagnant when it comes to training? I believe it is because we train so hard and whatever we have been doing has worked for us (to some degree) that any notion that another system might be better is offensive. We defend OUR beliefs and reject "new" ideas. But, these "new" ideas that shake the foundation of the industry standards have caused our sport to evolve (for better or worse) from the physiques of Ken Waller to Ronnie Coleman. For example. Look how much resistance Dante Trudel got when he introduced the DC 2-way split when everyone else at the time was on a bro-split. Guys got defensive and downright angry. It wasn't until some brave souls decided to break from the pack and try something new that his theories became accepted. And I am sure, at the time, he was accused of overthinking things too....after all, the bro-split worked most of the champions at that time. So why do anything different? I believe it is because he found what was more optimal for the masses (guys with average genetics).

Ultimately, I enjoy the new studies and interpretations from experts in the field. Are they overthinking it? Perhaps. But without people thinking outside of the box we grow stagnant.

I will bite on this with a contrarian point of view. First, I think we all agree that for hypertrophy purposes, no matter what split you do, frequency etc. you have to train HARD. So, this is a given.

But, lets take a look at the "big 3" when it comes to bodybuilding. Training *** Diet *** Supplements/Drugs.

I simply do not believe that when it comes to training, we (collectively) in 2021 have it all figured out and that there is no possible way to train more effectively or efficiently than we currently do. That would be extremely presumptuous of us. If we foster the belief about training, "just train hard and don't overthink it" and applied that mindset to DIET the sport would have made no progress since the 1960s. Guys would still be prepping for shows by eating hamburger and drinking a gallon of milk a week before they step on stage. And if we applied this logic to DRUGS/supplements, we would all be as big as humanly possible taking test, a handful of D-Bol and dessicated liver tabs. But science has taken us a long way when it comes to diet and drugs. So why assume it cannot do the same when it comes to training?

I find value in these hypertrophy studies. Why? Because we simply don't know what or even IF there is an optimal way to train. Sure, we know many styles that are effective. But, what about optimal?

Why is it OK to evolve when it comes to diet and drugs, but remain stagnant when it comes to training? I believe it is because we train so hard and whatever we have been doing has worked for us (to some degree) that any notion that another system might be better is offensive. We defend OUR beliefs and reject "new" ideas. But, these "new" ideas that shake the foundation of the industry standards have caused our sport to evolve (for better or worse) from the physiques of Ken Waller to Ronnie Coleman. For example. Look how much resistance Dante Trudel got when he introduced the DC 2-way split when everyone else at the time was on a bro-split. Guys got defensive and downright angry. It wasn't until some brave souls decided to break from the pack and try something new that his theories became accepted. And I am sure, at the time, he was accused of overthinking things too....after all, the bro-split worked most of the champions at that time. So why do anything different? I believe it is because he found what was more optimal for the masses (guys with average genetics).

Ultimately, I enjoy the new studies and interpretations from experts in the field. Are they overthinking it? Perhaps. But without people thinking outside of the box we grow stagnant.

The problem with these studies is none are ever done - nor will they ever be done - on the caliber of guys we have here: intermediate to advanced bodybuilders, carrying extreme amounts of muscle mass with low body fat, using AAS / GH / insulin / fat burners / etc., with extreme levels of strength. Those studies lose a lot of value when you try to apply them to our population.

There will NEVER be an optimal way to train that we apply to ever bodybuilder. There will NEVER be an optimal drug protocol that we apply to every bodybuilder. There will NEVER be an optimal diet that we apply to every bodybuilder. As much as people want it to be, the body isn't a textbook and things don't work the same for everyone.

It's totally ok to evolve your training and anyone with serious physique goals has to evolve their training over time. Personally, my training is mostly rooted in ideas of John Meadows and Dante Trudel with some other random things I've picked up over the years, but by far the largest part is rooted in my own self-experimentation.

Enjoy the studies, take what you can from them, apply them to your training, and if it make you better, great. If not, also great - you've learned something that doesn't work for you.

The best physiques on the non-genetic freaks (which is 99% of us) are built through years of self-experimentation and note taking on training, diet, and supplementation. Following what studies and programs say is easy to do but it will never get you to your true potential.

There will NEVER be an optimal way to train that we apply to ever bodybuilder. There will NEVER be an optimal drug protocol that we apply to every bodybuilder. There will NEVER be an optimal diet that we apply to every bodybuilder. As much as people want it to be, the body isn't a textbook and things don't work the same for everyone.
I totally agree with this. But, you won't know the optimal way for yourself unless you put some thought into it and try different things. These studies and the subsequent interpretations give you fodder for thought as to what you choose to experiment with. High volume vs low volume. High frequency vs lower frequency. Failure vs RIR etc.

Eddie Hall doing low rep leg press with 1000 kg. He passes out. Doesnt look well afterward. Serious pressure on the heart for sure.

Happens around 11:40

The problem with these studies is none are ever done - nor will they ever be done - on the caliber of guys we have here: intermediate to advanced bodybuilders, carrying extreme amounts of muscle mass with low body fat, using AAS / GH / insulin / fat burners / etc., with extreme levels of strength. Those studies lose a lot of value when you try to apply them to our population.

It's totally ok to evolve your training and anyone with serious physique goals has to evolve their training over time. Personally, my training is mostly rooted in ideas of John Meadows and Dante Trudel with some other random things I've picked up over the years, but by far the largest part is rooted in my own self-experimentation.

Enjoy the studies, take what you can from them, apply them to your training, and if it make you better, great. If not, also great - you've learned something that doesn't work for you.

The best physiques on the non-genetic freaks (which is 99% of us) are built through years of self-experimentation and note taking on training, diet, and supplementation. Following what studies and programs say is easy to do but it will never get you to your true potential.
Exactly. I'm with you Daniel on keeping track of things. A few years ago I ran into Milos and he was telling me about his meticulous journals (actual physical paper composition notebooks), and ever since then, I've been keeping track of everything, training, diet/supplements, daily bodyweight, fasting blood glucose, etc... and have made more progress in the past couple of years since doing that than my entire training career.

Next, when it comes to frequency. I know Schoenfeld recently published a study that suggested that if weekly volume is the same, then frequency does not matter.

I just have to post this funny IG clip here.

Pathetic, absolutely pathetic lol. Some people are just pussies. You just know what "failure" looks like in his studies.

Then the Mentzer quote. "The average exercise scientist is a lazy dumb bastard". Got that right, Mike.

I wrecked my chest yesterday. Decline hammer press 1 RP set. Then to flat DB press, ramped up to a brutal 7 reps, then a back off set of 14.

so depending on how you count RP, it was either 3 or 5 sets. I will hit chest again in 4 days. Either way, very far from the new gurus saying chest can tolerate 18-20 sets a week.

I had nothing left in my boobs for flys, push-ups, incline bla bla

Pathetic, absolutely pathetic lol. Some people are just pussies. You just know what "failure" looks like in his studies.

Then the Mentzer quote. "The average exercise scientist is a lazy dumb bastard". Got that right, Mike.

Pathetic is the only way to describe it. Now let's all watch this to get the terrible taste out of our mouths.

That's not even a hard warm up set. Totally pathetic. Can you imagine what is studies look like :eek:

That's not even a hard warm up set. Totally pathetic. Can you imagine what is studies look like :eek:
haha, man i do follow the RP gang on IG and have watched youtube vids of Mike explaining and training. I have actually tried switching to that RIR style of training and ended up just going back to lower volume failure training. They typically will start a meso at 3-4 rir for week 1 and ramp that down to rir 1 by week 5 or so. My thinking is he is clearly on supps and would obviously recover faster due to them, is there really a need for that much RIR if on AAS especially 3-4 RIR?

haha, man i do follow the RP gang on IG and have watched youtube vids of Mike explaining and training. I have actually tried switching to that RIR style of training and ended up just going back to lower volume failure training. They typically will start a meso at 3-4 rir for week 1 and ramp that down to rir 1 by week 5 or so. My thinking is he is clearly on supps and would obviously recover faster due to them, is there really a need for that much RIR if on AAS especially 3-4 RIR?
That’s too much math for me. I go to the gym to have fun. Smashing heavy weight to failure is fun to me. And it puts a lot of size on me. I don’t need any scientific studies, or graphing calculators to diagram out my rate of perceived exertion, LOL. I LIKE to train hard. I could give a fuck if it was proven to be less efficient

That’s too much math for me. I go to the gym to have fun. Smashing heavy weight to failure is fun to me. And it puts a lot of size on me. I don’t need any scientific studies, or graphing calculators to diagram out my rate of perceived exertion, LOL. I LIKE to train hard. I could give a fuck if it was proven to be less efficient
i found the leaked books online. If sore dont add sets, if sore but progress add load and sets, if not sore and didnt progress add load and set. Thats not verbatim but along those lines. Im with you, even just reading it i feel it requires too much thinking. Pyramid up to some working sets and fail. lol. I feel the same way and on their instagram posts the amount of questions and comments by some of the RIR's is mind blowing.

You missed out the BIG one: genetics!

The RIR thing just seems so counterintuitive to me. You’re trying to get as big and strong as possible by doing fewer reps than you’re able? Okaaaaaay...

There are so many training programs that work. The things successful people have in common are proper exercise selection, intensity, volume, food intake, and recovery. Everyone is different so if you find the goldilocks zone it's simple. What that looks like for you is for you to figure out.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws