over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Personal Trainers

WildBB

Registered
I have seen so many people over the years that are personal trainers and are overweight. To me, that is like oil and water...they don't mix. If I need help, I would want to go to a personal trainer whose physical appearance is one I would like have myself.

Am I alone here :confused:

WildBB

This is true!

I see this daily in my store. My favorite is when the MLM Monavie turds come in trying to get me to buy their snake oil and I ask why if they feel so great on that crap do they look very unhealthy??

Thats true about the monavie goons! They used to come into my gym ruthlessly trying to get people on board! It never sold around there cause it was all fat guys trying to push it!

And I'll 2nd that about the personal trainers. The industry seems to be filled with out of shape trainers. They should be ashamed!

As a personal trainer, don't you sell yourself just by the way you look? I started talking to someone the other day and they told me they were a personal trainer at one of our local gyms, my jaw dropped to the ground. I did not want to be mean, but who would hire a personal trainer that can’t keep their own body in check. It’s beyond me...

OMG - I TOTALLY agree. It is one of my biggest pet peeves! I can't respect a personal trainer that isn't in shape! what's the point! It's completely hypocritical and non-motivational! IMO, you have to practice what you preach!
I do my cardio at 24hr fitness and the trainers there are in such bad shape! Gold's is a bit better but by far, my trainer's studio inside Gold's is the best! :)

Just as a hypothetical situation (which me and a gym buddy were talking about today), what you do if a personal trainer was a 400lb lard ass, barely breathing, gonna die at 46, but could get the absoloute best results in anyone he trained?

It stumped me good, i guess i'd train with him, though i'd feel bad that i was gonna live until 47!

At 48, I look better than any trainer at my gym, by a mile. I use to own a personal training business. The reason that these out of shape trainers get clients is that their clients sometimes are looking for more freindship and personality than looks. I totally agree, how can you call yourself a trainer, and look out of shape. Like I would want that person to give me advice on nutrition. It is sad, but true. When I first started training I went to A gym back east and had Mr. Universe train me (Marty Vranicar) I contribute my hard work and two bodybuilding titles to that wise decision. Oh, by the way, the ones that do pick those so called trainers, they don't last.;)

Its like the old sayong, "Dont trust a skinny chef". well if i look better than the trainer, why should i trust his advice?
You would think the idea of loking the part would come into play in an industry based totally on looks.

I have seen so many people over the years that are personal trainers and are overweight. To me, that is like oil and water...they don't mix. If I need help, I would want to go to a personal trainer whose physical appearance is one I would like have myself.

WildBB

I would have to hire someone who practised what they preached.

WildBB

You not alone, the one trainer at one of the gyms I go to even says, I ahte training and working out but it pays the bills .... WTF?

As a personal trainer, don't you sell yourself just by the way you look? ...

Suppose their body looks fit but but don't know jack? Then what? I have seen my fare share of guys who look pretty good but have no clue on how to train someone. Most guys who are body builkders turn trainers have absolutely ZERO clue on how to train someone. They train their client as if they were working out. BUT, thats not what every client wants. To look like a male body builder. Most trainers never listen to their clients needs and just figure what works for one works for all! And it's a shame because they should have stuck to what they knew and left it at that!

My rule of thumb is "never judge a book by it's cover". After all your paying for what's in his head not what's on his body! (just my .02) (wildbb i am not picking on you, just using your answer as my quote that's all bro)

Suppose their body looks fit but but don't know jack? Then what? I have seen my fare share of guys who look pretty good but have no clue on how to train someone. Most guys who are body builkders turn trainers have absolutely ZERO clue on how to train someone. They train their client as if they were working out. BUT, thats not what every client wants. To look like a male body builder. Most trainers never listen to their clients needs and just figure what works for one works for all! And it's a shame because they should have stuck to what they knew and left it at that!

My rule of thumb is "never judge a book by it's cover". After all your paying for what's in his head not what's on his body! (just my .02) (wildbb i am not picking on you, just using your answer as my quote that's all bro)

Boomshaker, you make a good point!

I definitely agree with your view as well. Bodybuilders who turn personal trainers, must know how to train someone. Some fit people do not belong in a personal training career if they do not have good people skills and do not know how to work with their clients. Their is no one size fits all...I do agree.

Though at fist glance, I would still pick the person who appears to LIVES what they preach.

WildBB

the friend aspect that pesky mentions is very true.

some of the richest people are sorta lonely and socially awkward, and just want someone who will hang out with them in 2-3 times a week.

also, i have seen some fairly jacked trainers who have no clue about training people, so it can go both ways.

what really pisses me off are the trainers whose clients see me lifting, and say that they want to look like me. the trainer than says something snide like "that guy only looks like that because of steroids." actually just happened again today. funny thing is that i have been clean for a while.

the friend aspect that pesky mentions is very true.

some of the richest people are sorta lonely and socially awkward, and just want someone who will hang out with them in 2-3 times a week.

also, i have seen some fairly jacked trainers who have no clue about training people, so it can go both ways.

what really pisses me off are the trainers whose clients see me lifting, and say that they want to look like me. the trainer than says something snide like "that guy only looks like that because of steroids." actually just happened again today. funny thing is that i have been clean for a while.

If he said that, consider it a compliment for your hard work.:cool:

what really pisses me off are the trainers whose clients see me lifting, and say that they want to look like me. the trainer than says something snide like "that guy only looks like that because of steroids."

Agreed, that's not being professional at all. I have 2 female clients myself that I swear tell me almost every time I train them "I want to look like Jennifer Aniston"! And I tell them "ok, no problem"! So I jack their hourly rate up a bit and their happy as pig in poop! :D (true story) LOL

IF it was my business, id think that knowledge is the key to being a good trainer as well as the ability to really listen to and understand what your clients are wanting from you. With that said, i still feel you should look the part, you wouldnt be running a fortune 500 company and going to boars meeting in basketball shorts and flipflops. im not saying every trainer has to look like a bodybuilder, in fact its been my experience that Most people dont want that look. but they should at least look like they practice what they preach.

Boomshaker, you make a good point!

I definitely agree with your view as well. Bodybuilders who turn personal trainers, must know how to train someone. Some fit people do not belong in a personal training career if they do not have good people skills and do not know how to work with their clients. Their is no one size fits all...I do agree.

Though at fist glance, I would still pick the person who appears to LIVES what they preach.

WildBB

I definitely agree. There are quite a few trainers these days that look the part, but have no idea what they are doing. I just saw a trainer push a first day client until he passed out! She didn't even see it coming. I guess it is about the same as a person who gets in great shape with a trainer, but still has no idea what to do on their own. They did everything the trainer said, but didn't pay attention to why, and how, they made those changes.

Im a trainer and I definitely realize that I have to look the part, but honestly, its not a high standard I need to surpass.

Just look at magazines and see what women see as a 'toned' and 'fit' body. Its no where near figure levels of competition. For guys, look at Men's Health where you have 160lb guys ripped to hell but looked 'jacked' in the eyes of readers.

Do this, go find your height, and then find what the average weight is for your height. Youll find that its really low, and only if you were 10%bf or below would you actually look somewhat jacked.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131