over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Red Yeast Rice

JAP426

Registered
Is their a specific brand of Red Yeast Rice that anyone here has had success with? I am talking about blood tests that show a decreased cholesterol with its use. Apparently their is a BIG difference in the different brands of Red Yeast Rice on the market. Some barely have any amounts of "statin" content".

A new study by the Mayo Clinic suggest that red rice yeast, combined with fish oil and healthy lifestyle changes, can help reduce "bad" cholesterol as effectively as the statin drug Zocor.

However, there is a BIG catch. An independent lab found the amounts of lovastatin and other monacolins (the good statins) in the red yeast rice supplements varied tremendously among brands. As much as a 100 fold difference! This is a huge difference in the potency of the supplements! It seems that Nature's Plus brand had the highest amount at 10.6 mg per 600 mg capsule.

Also of concern, some red yeast rice supplements were found to be contaminated with the potential toxin citrinin. Citrinin could possibly damage your kidneys. Although human studies have not been done to determine at which level citrinin is toxic, it would seem wise to avoid it. Four brands were found to be contaminated, Solaray, Natural Balance, VegLife, and Walgreens. Ironically, these brands also had the lowest levels of statins.

Last edited:
I got mine from vitacost.com I think I got their brand. Called nsi or something. I take 1800mg daily spread in 3 doses

Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals has a very good one - everything else they sell is questionable, though...

I heard it gives the same bad side effects as satins.

I heard it gives the same bad side effects as satins.

Yes, this is true. The lovastatin in red yeast rice is basically the same ingredient contained in statin meds.

I havent noticed any sides but a drop in LDL which is benefitial. Although, i do take 400mg coq10 daily, so maybe that combats all my sides.

the coq10 is to replace what statins take away from ur body

the coq10 is to replace what statins take away from ur body

this is right. Statins deplete your body of coq10. Research has shown this. I believe statins in countries other than the US now include coq10 in the statin tablets. I read that the maker of crestor was cosidering doing the same thing here in the US but decided against it. I guess it draws attention to this negative side effect so they chose to just leave it alone.

Anyone ever notice a raise in hdl.

Thanks for the help. It appears as if Nature's Plus extended release tabs are probably the best bet. Contains the most statins.

this is right. Statins deplete your body of coq10. Research has shown this. I believe statins in countries other than the US now include coq10 in the statin tablets. I read that the maker of crestor was cosidering doing the same thing here in the US but decided against it. I guess it draws attention to this negative side effect so they chose to just leave it alone.

never knew crestor thing but how noble of them to take that stand

Fuck them! Learn a lot about alternative medicine (natural measures) and organic foods and live a life free of stuff humans have fucked up, High Fructose corn syrup, trans fats

use as little prescription drugs as possible, fuck the pharmaceutical companies who don't give a shit about health and the doctors who are dumb as shit! U know they still do not know how Lithium actually works? How fucking long has this element been around? How long has it been used in medicine? They know less about an element that has been prescribed for way longer than crestor, lipitor, vioxx...

i also do not recomend lithium for possible thyroid issues it causes and i experienced first hand

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
BL
NapsGear