Registered
I read an old post from Phil:

"Funny thing about Justin
He can do 10 reps with 90% of his max. I can do 2-3 with 90% of my max."

And here is an article from Fred Hatfield about rep ranges:
**broken link removed**

Finding The Ideal Training Split
by Frederick C. Hatfield, Ph.D.

One of my favorite lines is, “I can pass by the weight room, smell the iron inside, and instantly begin to grow.” Simply, some people tend to thrive on very little exercise, while others seem to be incapable of making gains no matter how hard, long and frequently they train. This was referred to as one's "tolerance to exercise," a term coined by Arthur Jones years ago. One’s “tolerance” is high if more exercise is needed, and low if less is needed. There are many variables that can affect your exercise tolerance. Of course, “genetics” ranks highest on the list below, and you’ll notice several such factors. Others, on the other hand, are able to be manipulated in various ways.

-Red vs White Fiber Ratio
-Tolerance To Pain
-Level Of “Psych”
-Amount Of Rest Since Last Workout
-Perceived Exertion
-Amount Of Eccentric Stress (Which Causes Connective Tissue Microtrauma)
-Incentive Level
-Strength-To-Weight Ratio
-Time Of Last Meal (Energy)
-Type Of Foods Eaten At Last Meal (Glycemic Index)
-Use Of Ergogenic Techniques Or Substances
-Musculoskeletal Leverage Factors
-Motor Unit Recruitment Capabilities
-Skill Level At Exercise Being Performed (If Such Is Required; e.g., Cleans)
-Equipment Quality & Design
-Environmental Factors (e.g., Heat, Cold, etc.)
-Size Of Muscle Being Exercised
-Various Intra- and Extracellular Biochemical Factors
-How close you are to your maximum potential in size or strength

All these factors, and perhaps several more as yet undreamed of, will variably affect how frequently you should train each body part and how best to split your routine.

Several years ago, after chatting with Arthur and reading some of his thinking on the topic, I began charting other lifters' reps at 80 percent max. I found that guys who were so-called "fast" gainers were only able to do 4-6 reps at 80 percent, while lifters who seemingly never made great gains were able to rep out at around 15-20 reps with 80 percent of their max. Apparently, so-called "fast gainers" have rather poor anaerobic strength endurance. This is explainable in part by the fact that they're probably mostly white muscle fiber, which has fast twitch/low oxidative capabilities. Conversely, slow gainers are probably mostly red muscle fiber (slow twitch/high oxidative) and therefore may possess greater ability for rapid during-set recovery.

The problem is, however, that each muscle group's tolerance to exercise probably differs. Each exercise you do for each body part can - and often does - possess an entirely individual rep ability at 80 percent max. To discern your specific tolerance level for each body part, follow these simple instructions:

1.Determine your approximate one rep maximum (1RM) for each exercise.
2.Load 80 percent on the bar (machine) & rep out with it for one all-out effort to see how many reps you can do.
3.Apply this information to the table below to determine each body part's exercise tolerance.
4.Take into account ALL of the factors listed above that can affect your exercise tolerance.
4.Critically evaluate whether your predicted exercise tolerance levels stand up to what you know from experience to be true. Remember, “low tolerance” means that you probably make easy gains for that body part, and “high tolerance” means that you’re probably a hard gainer for that body part.

Here is an example of what I've found in regards to exercise tolerances for fast gainers, average gainers and slow gainers. Perhaps you'll find these figures and estimations to be pretty close estimates. But perhaps you won't. One thing is clear, you must look! Your continued progress toward your maximum potential may well depend on it! (.......)

Slow Gainers (usually predominantly red muscle fiber):
Slow gainers often benefit most from 10 or more sets of 15-20 reps

Average Gainers (usually a mix of red and white muscle fiber):
Average gainers often benefit most from 5-8 sets of 10-12 reps

Fast Gainers (usually predominantly white muscle fiber):
Fast gainers often benefit most from 3-5 sets of 4-8 reps done explosively

By critically evaluating your individual muscles' tolerance to exercise, you can more easily "fine tune" your training regimen to provide maximum gains in the shortest possible time. But don't forget the other factors that may affect your recovery rate. Look at the list again (above). How have you accounted for each of these variable's effect on your progress? Have you raised or lowered your reps and sets accordingly? Have you increased or decreased the frequency of your workouts commensurably?
Training intensity? Have you taken into account your ratio of white versus red fiber, and adjusted your exercise load and movement speed accordingly?

Why Can’t You Just Copy The Pros?

Why is it that most newcomers to bodybuilding, and even most intermediate level bodybuilders, can’t make continued gains using a split they copied from one of the pros? It’s quite simple, really. First of all, you must be truthful with yourself in answering some basic questions. Are you as fastidious as the pro you seek to emulate in all that you do? Your supplement schedule? Your diet? Have you as much time “in the trench” as the pro? How long have you been forcing your body to adapt to stress? Most pros have forced adaptations to their muscles and other bodily systems that have taken years to accomplish. As your body changes over time, your susceptibility to further change does as well. New forms of stress force different adaptive processes to occur, and each adaptation requires that different stressors and training schedules be devised in order to take your body one more step closer to its maximum potential.

So, as you change your body, your body demands different scheduling for further adaptation to take place. It isn’t simply a matter of piling on more pig iron to satisfy the progressive overload principle. It’s more complicated than that. One of the biggest mistakes all bodybuilders tend to make is that they do not build their programs with this important fact in mind. As you change, so must your training because your body’s “tolerance” to that level or type of stress has changed. And, how you split your training can be an important source of new adaptive stress to which you have not yet adapted.

Most bodybuilders are not “hard gainers” or “fast gainers” in all body parts. Further, as you get closer to your maximum potential -- where all professional bodybuilders are -- you may become a hard gainer, whereas earlier in your career your gains seemed to come easy. Or, maybe you’ve remained an easy gainer but have yet to discover the type of stress your body now requires to force continued growth.

Through experimentation, I assure you that finding your own level of "tolerance" (body part per body part) will make a big difference. Where to begin? Here are a few examples of how you can split your training program. Adjust them at will. (..... ) "

Phil and others suggest low reps with heavy weight and few sets.
With this training they grow because they are Fast Gainers (usually predominantly white muscle fiber).

Others like Sergio Oliva, Serge Nubret grow on high reps with moderat weight an more sets. Because they are Slow Gainers (usually predominantly red muscle fiber) ?

What are your opinions. Do different body types need different training strategies ? ( Similar like different blood types need different eating strategies according to Dr. D'Adamo with The GenoType Diet and Eat Right 4 Your Type etc. )

you cant label people into categories like that
just like you cant isolate body types such as ecto/endo/meso

people are always mixes of specific types, with maybe one type displaying dominance.

which means, only way to figure out how well you respond to specific training style is to test it out on yourself

for example im now training a dominant ecto bodytype who by this description would fit the red fiber type very much.
yet he responds really well from the 5x5 that i put him on. In one and a half months he went from deadlifting 135 for 5 to doing 360 for 5 without a lot of difficulty.

Last edited:
I think where alot of people go wrong is they read an article like this
(or others) and they want to take the words as gospel...I am sure Dr. Squat intended this only to open up peoples eyes to the possibilities but in no way did he intend for this to be the be-all-end-all answer to the age old question is this routine the "ONE"

After reading this I can personally attest that my body responds to the stimulus...when I trained HIT that was as much as my body could handle. I was certain that I was an individual who could NOT handle too much volume.

Then I dicovered WSB and I quickly learned that my body could handle volume, alot more volume and grow and get stronger and leaner, etc etc. then I took it up a notch more and started training MMA so I was woking out to various intensities a minimum of 12 workouts a week that included sparring, sprinting, lifting, drilling and technique training

you know what, the biggest deciding factor I found was that determined my abuility to handle the workload?

NUTRITION!!!

When my diet is on point, I can handle anything and I get better, recover, stronger, faster, etc (within reason)...when its off, I cant handle the volume, intensity, etc of a minimalist training approach.

well I guess this post is long-winded enough..take it for what it is, my opinion and my help.

I DISAGREE WITH DR SQUAT ON ONE THING.. IF A PERSON IS A "LOW REP" KINDA OF GUY.. A EASY GAINER, SO TO SPEAK.. THEY GENERALLY CAN GROW FROM ABOUT ANY REP RANGE AS LONG AS THE INTENSITY IS THERE..

I will put more thought into using a higher rep scheme to change things up.
I normally go about 4-8 reps per set on most and rarely higher then 12.

I've been using rep ranges in the 6-10 range the last 6 years I've been training. Rarely deloading, which in turn has really caused me to not see too much gains.

I just switched to a high rep scheme, usually 3x12 on most exercises except back. I go heavy and low reps on the Deads and Rack pulls only. I've seen some really good gains from it.

I am however afraid that this switch will cause me to lose mass if used for too long becuase I am not putting up as much weight, but my intensity is still there.

Can anyone comment on this? If you switch to a high rep/low weight rep scheme will you eventually lose mass if run too long/

I've been using rep ranges in the 6-10 range the last 6 years I've been training. Rarely deloading, which in turn has really caused me to not see too much gains.

I just switched to a high rep scheme, usually 3x12 on most exercises except back. I go heavy and low reps on the Deads and Rack pulls only. I've seen some really good gains from it.

I am however afraid that this switch will cause me to lose mass if used for too long becuase I am not putting up as much weight, but my intensity is still there.

Can anyone comment on this? If you switch to a high rep/low weight rep scheme will you eventually lose mass if run too long/

doing anything for too long will cause a decrease in performance/gains...however, by increasing intensity, ie the amount of weights used can off-set this to a degree...

did you know who Dan Baldwin was
I read an old post from Phil:

"Funny thing about Justin
He can do 10 reps with 90% of his max. I can do 2-3 with 90% of my max."

And here is an article from Fred Hatfield about rep ranges:
**broken link removed**

Finding The Ideal Training Split
by Frederick C. Hatfield, Ph.D.

One of my favorite lines is, “I can pass by the weight room, smell the iron inside, and instantly begin to grow.” Simply, some people tend to thrive on very little exercise, while others seem to be incapable of making gains no matter how hard, long and frequently they train. This was referred to as one's "tolerance to exercise," a term coined by Arthur Jones years ago. One’s “tolerance” is high if more exercise is needed, and low if less is needed. There are many variables that can affect your exercise tolerance. Of course, “genetics” ranks highest on the list below, and you’ll notice several such factors. Others, on the other hand, are able to be manipulated in various ways.

-Red vs White Fiber Ratio
-Tolerance To Pain
-Level Of “Psych”
-Amount Of Rest Since Last Workout
-Perceived Exertion
-Amount Of Eccentric Stress (Which Causes Connective Tissue Microtrauma)
-Incentive Level
-Strength-To-Weight Ratio
-Time Of Last Meal (Energy)
-Type Of Foods Eaten At Last Meal (Glycemic Index)
-Use Of Ergogenic Techniques Or Substances
-Musculoskeletal Leverage Factors
-Motor Unit Recruitment Capabilities
-Skill Level At Exercise Being Performed (If Such Is Required; e.g., Cleans)
-Equipment Quality & Design
-Environmental Factors (e.g., Heat, Cold, etc.)
-Size Of Muscle Being Exercised
-Various Intra- and Extracellular Biochemical Factors
-How close you are to your maximum potential in size or strength

All these factors, and perhaps several more as yet undreamed of, will variably affect how frequently you should train each body part and how best to split your routine.

Several years ago, after chatting with Arthur and reading some of his thinking on the topic, I began charting other lifters' reps at 80 percent max. I found that guys who were so-called "fast" gainers were only able to do 4-6 reps at 80 percent, while lifters who seemingly never made great gains were able to rep out at around 15-20 reps with 80 percent of their max. Apparently, so-called "fast gainers" have rather poor anaerobic strength endurance. This is explainable in part by the fact that they're probably mostly white muscle fiber, which has fast twitch/low oxidative capabilities. Conversely, slow gainers are probably mostly red muscle fiber (slow twitch/high oxidative) and therefore may possess greater ability for rapid during-set recovery.

The problem is, however, that each muscle group's tolerance to exercise probably differs. Each exercise you do for each body part can - and often does - possess an entirely individual rep ability at 80 percent max. To discern your specific tolerance level for each body part, follow these simple instructions:

1.Determine your approximate one rep maximum (1RM) for each exercise.
2.Load 80 percent on the bar (machine) & rep out with it for one all-out effort to see how many reps you can do.
3.Apply this information to the table below to determine each body part's exercise tolerance.
4.Take into account ALL of the factors listed above that can affect your exercise tolerance.
4.Critically evaluate whether your predicted exercise tolerance levels stand up to what you know from experience to be true. Remember, “low tolerance” means that you probably make easy gains for that body part, and “high tolerance” means that you’re probably a hard gainer for that body part.

Here is an example of what I've found in regards to exercise tolerances for fast gainers, average gainers and slow gainers. Perhaps you'll find these figures and estimations to be pretty close estimates. But perhaps you won't. One thing is clear, you must look! Your continued progress toward your maximum potential may well depend on it! (.......)

Slow Gainers (usually predominantly red muscle fiber):
Slow gainers often benefit most from 10 or more sets of 15-20 reps

Average Gainers (usually a mix of red and white muscle fiber):
Average gainers often benefit most from 5-8 sets of 10-12 reps

Fast Gainers (usually predominantly white muscle fiber):
Fast gainers often benefit most from 3-5 sets of 4-8 reps done explosively

By critically evaluating your individual muscles' tolerance to exercise, you can more easily "fine tune" your training regimen to provide maximum gains in the shortest possible time. But don't forget the other factors that may affect your recovery rate. Look at the list again (above). How have you accounted for each of these variable's effect on your progress? Have you raised or lowered your reps and sets accordingly? Have you increased or decreased the frequency of your workouts commensurably?
Training intensity? Have you taken into account your ratio of white versus red fiber, and adjusted your exercise load and movement speed accordingly?

Why Can’t You Just Copy The Pros?

Why is it that most newcomers to bodybuilding, and even most intermediate level bodybuilders, can’t make continued gains using a split they copied from one of the pros? It’s quite simple, really. First of all, you must be truthful with yourself in answering some basic questions. Are you as fastidious as the pro you seek to emulate in all that you do? Your supplement schedule? Your diet? Have you as much time “in the trench” as the pro? How long have you been forcing your body to adapt to stress? Most pros have forced adaptations to their muscles and other bodily systems that have taken years to accomplish. As your body changes over time, your susceptibility to further change does as well. New forms of stress force different adaptive processes to occur, and each adaptation requires that different stressors and training schedules be devised in order to take your body one more step closer to its maximum potential.

So, as you change your body, your body demands different scheduling for further adaptation to take place. It isn’t simply a matter of piling on more pig iron to satisfy the progressive overload principle. It’s more complicated than that. One of the biggest mistakes all bodybuilders tend to make is that they do not build their programs with this important fact in mind. As you change, so must your training because your body’s “tolerance” to that level or type of stress has changed. And, how you split your training can be an important source of new adaptive stress to which you have not yet adapted.

Most bodybuilders are not “hard gainers” or “fast gainers” in all body parts. Further, as you get closer to your maximum potential -- where all professional bodybuilders are -- you may become a hard gainer, whereas earlier in your career your gains seemed to come easy. Or, maybe you’ve remained an easy gainer but have yet to discover the type of stress your body now requires to force continued growth.

Through experimentation, I assure you that finding your own level of "tolerance" (body part per body part) will make a big difference. Where to begin? Here are a few examples of how you can split your training program. Adjust them at will. (..... ) "

Phil and others suggest low reps with heavy weight and few sets.
With this training they grow because they are Fast Gainers (usually predominantly white muscle fiber).

Others like Sergio Oliva, Serge Nubret grow on high reps with moderat weight an more sets. Because they are Slow Gainers (usually predominantly red muscle fiber) ?

What are your opinions. Do different body types need different training strategies ? ( Similar like different blood types need different eating strategies according to Dr. D'Adamo with The GenoType Diet and Eat Right 4 Your Type etc. )

keep in mind that there are some muscles that are considered to be generallt fast or slow twitch but that does not apply to everyone...u could do what I do and simply train in all the rep ranges

muscle fiber biopsies are not all that accurate, best way is to train and find out...u should also remember that some of us have bodyparts that respond to anything we do to them so figuring out the ideal rep range for those bodyparts for growth is hard

bottom line is that a book won't tell you how to train the right way... it'll give you an idea about different training methods, but won't tell you which one is the right one for you.
it all comes down to experience. only one thing is for sure, any training method you choose and progress in (be it reps, weights, whatever) you will get results. some are more efficient than others, but you will get results if you keep on progressing...

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
MindMuscle88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131