over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Smart Training: Deflated-Delt Dilemma

TJB

Registered
Found this article and it made for some very interesting reading......especially the omni-rep training philosophy....

By: Charles Poliquin
Q: My delts are about as flat as pancakes. Any rapid solution to the problem?

A: Wide, round shoulders have been built with both high loads and high volumes. Powerlifters and Olympic lifters have built impressive shoulders using low reps for multiple sets on compound exercises, such as presses and upright rows. On the other hand, there are plenty of bodybuilders out there with the fantastic deltoid development that comes from high reps, short rest intervals and isolation-type movements. I’m of the opinion that people achieve better deltoid development if they cycle in and out of both approaches.

I find that descending, or drop, sets and preexhaustion are particularly effective at promoting shoulder growth. When someone has problems adding mass to the middle-delt area, tri-sets or Omni-rep breakdown sets can solve the problem.

Tri-sets are three exercises performed one after another—back to back—before taking a rest. Here’s a good tri-set for the mid delts:

A-1 Standing lateral raises 3 x 8-12, tempo 4/0/X/0
A-2 Low-pulley upright rows 3 x 8-12, tempo 4/0/X/0
A-3 Seated dumbbell presses 3 x 8-12, tempo 4/0/X/0

Perform A-1, A-2 and A-3 in a series, take a two-minute break, and repeat two more times, for a total of three tri-sets.

Notice that on the standing lateral raises you should do the concentric, or positive, stroke explosively, as the leverage is disadvantageous in the exercise. For low-pulley upright rows I recommend using a rope attachment, like the one normally used for pushdowns. That will remove some wrist stress.

On an Omni-rep breakdown set you select one basic exercise and its variation and essentially destroy all the fibers that can be used in the movement:

1) Do 6-8RM of standing one-arm lateral raises with a 2/0/X/0 tempo. That targets the highest-threshold fibers in your delts.

2) Do 10-12RM of lean-away one-arm lateral raises using a 2/0/X/0 tempo. By changing the mechanics, you take the supraspinatus muscle out of it and change the strength curve for the medial deltoid. You also tap into the intermediate-fast glycolitic fibers.

3) Do 20-25RM on one-arm low-pulley lateral raises with a 1/0/1/0 tempo. By using a low pulley, you get even tension throughout the movement. The higher reps will finish off whatever low-threshold fibers that can still fire after steps 1 and 2.

Do not rest between steps 1 and 2 or 2 and 3. After performing all three exercises, take a 90-second break, and then repeat with your other arm. Do three Omni-rep rounds per arm. By the way, these routines are reserved for high-pain-threshold individuals. Wimps should stay away from them. Try each program for six workouts each. I’m sure your deltoids will become more massive and with noticeable roundness.

Last edited:
HONESTLY

Found this article and it made for some very interesting reading......especially the omni-rep training philosophy....

By: Charles Poliquin
Q: My delts are about as flat as pancakes. Any rapid solution to the problem?

A: Wide, round shoulders have been built with both high loads and high volumes. Powerlifters and Olympic lifters have built impressive shoulders using low reps for multiple sets on compound exercises, such as presses and upright rows. On the other hand, there are plenty of bodybuilders out there with the fantastic deltoid development that comes from high reps, short rest intervals and isolation-type movements. I’m of the opinion that people achieve better deltoid development if they cycle in and out of both approaches.

I find that descending, or drop, sets and preexhaustion are particularly effective at promoting shoulder growth. When someone has problems adding mass to the middle-delt area, tri-sets or Omni-rep breakdown sets can solve the problem.

Tri-sets are three exercises performed one after another—back to back—before taking a rest. Here’s a good tri-set for the mid delts:

A-1 Standing lateral raises 3 x 8-12, tempo 4/0/X/0
A-2 Low-pulley upright rows 3 x 8-12, tempo 4/0/X/0
A-3 Seated dumbbell presses 3 x 8-12, tempo 4/0/X/0

Perform A-1, A-2 and A-3 in a series, take a two-minute break, and repeat two more times, for a total of three tri-sets.

Notice that on the standing lateral raises you should do the concentric, or positive, stroke explosively, as the leverage is disadvantageous in the exercise. For low-pulley upright rows I recommend using a rope attachment, like the one normally used for pushdowns. That will remove some wrist stress.

On an Omni-rep breakdown set you select one basic exercise and its variation and essentially destroy all the fibers that can be used in the movement:

1) Do 6-8RM of standing one-arm lateral raises with a 2/0/X/0 tempo. That targets the highest-threshold fibers in your delts.

2) Do 10-12RM of lean-away one-arm lateral raises using a 2/0/X/0 tempo. By changing the mechanics, you take the supraspinatus muscle out of it and change the strength curve for the medial deltoid. You also tap into the intermediate-fast glycolitic fibers.

3) Do 20-25RM on one-arm low-pulley lateral raises with a 1/0/1/0 tempo. By using a low pulley, you get even tension throughout the movement. The higher reps will finish off whatever low-threshold fibers that can still fire after steps 1 and 2.

Do not rest between steps 1 and 2 or 2 and 3. After performing all three exercises, take a 90-second break, and then repeat with your other arm. Do three Omni-rep rounds per arm. By the way, these routines are reserved for high-pain-threshold individuals. Wimps should stay away from them. Try each program for six workouts each. I’m sure your deltoids will become more massive and with noticeable roundness.

ROUNDNESS IS GENETIC.......NO PRESCRIBED EXERCISE CAN GIVE IT TO YOU..........THE LEANER YOU GET THE ROUNDER YOUR DELTS MAY APPEAR.

but you gotta agree that roundness has also a lot to do with fullness of the muscle which is achieved with increased glycogen storage, supercompensation if you will.
And the above training scheme could give you that by stimulating sarcoplasmic hypertrophy

NO

but you gotta agree that roundness has also a lot to do with fullness of the muscle which is achieved with increased glycogen storage, supercompensation if you will.
And the above training scheme could give you that by stimulating sarcoplasmic hypertrophy

I DO NOT AGREE......YOU MAY BECOME " ROUNDER" THEN YOU WERE BEFORE TRAINING.....NO SPECIFIC EXERCISE CAN BRING OUT "ROUNDNESS" ....ANYPLACE ON THE BODY. IF THAT WAS THE CASE WE WOULD ALL BE ROUND......OBVIOUSLY WE ARE NOT ALL ROUND.

I dont think we're talking about the same issue here...

Shape of the muscle is genetically predetermined no doubt about that.
However theres a big difference in roundness between a muscle that is depleted and flat, and one that is filled up with glycogen and water.
I think thats what the OP was referring to.

If there was exercises that give roundness to the muscles then Flex Wheeler must have some special secret exercises!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131