over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Sorry tall people, Shorter people live longer

intensed

Registered
I was searching the net because I was curious if shorter people suffer a HGH deficiency on average. Are we shorter because he never had the HGH levels as our taller colleges? Is is possible that shorter stature person would be respond better to a HGH Regimen? Anyways I found this article and I found it rather interesting.

------------------------------------
By Roger Highfield, Science Editor
Published: 10:03PM GMT 03 Mar 2008

Evidence of a link between height and longevity has been found by scientists, suggesting that some short people will live longer than their taller peers.

Normal variation in human height is due to a blend of environmental factors, notably diet, and genetic factors.

Now one such inherited factor that could extend the human lifespan by as much as one third in theory has been uncovered, though it may come at the cost of a few inches in height.

The work also suggests that the use of growth hormone as an anti-ageing medicine may actually be shortening lifespan.

And it confirms the emerging view among scientists that rather than being a passive, haphazard process of wear and tear, some people may be blessed with genes that make them more likely to live to a ripe old age.

Earlier work by a French team showed that mice lacking one copy of the gene IGF-1 live on average 26 per cent longer than normal, with females enjoying a bigger advantage (33 per cent increase in lifespan) than males (16 per cent increase).

Damping down the same pathway of the metabolism also resulted in extension of lifespan in yeasts, worms, and flies too. And the same pathway is affected by diets low in calories, the only proven way to extend lifespan.

Now a study by Prof Nir Barzilai, Director, Institute for Aging Research, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York, reveals that the same gene is involved in the "oldest old" of people, revealing in the long run how to postpone the physiological ageing process.

Insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1) levels have previously been linked with both ageing and body size, with evidence showing that decreased levels of IGF-1 predispose the animals for short stature, but increased longevity.

To determine if IGF-1 plays a role in human longevity, Prof Barzilai, Dr Yousin Suh and colleagues looked for variations in the gene within a group of Ashkenazi Jewish centenarians and their children.

The researchers used Ashkenazi individuals with no history of familial longevity, matched for age and sex as controls.

Comparing the two groups, the researchers report in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences that centenarians and their offspring were more likely to have a variety of mutations in the IGF-1 receptor which reduced the effects of the factor. As had been shown by the mouse work, the less active IGF-1 pathway had bigger effects on women than men and led to shorter stature.

The work shows that this pathway plays a role in human longevity, which provides new clues as to how to boost lifespan by damping down the action of IGF-1, and other molecules that play a part in this piece of metabolic machinery.

"Practically, this discovery supports the notion that growth hormone, which is injected as anti-ageing medicine in the US (and other countries) maybe dangerous, because it is the people who have low growth hormone levels that are living longer," Prof Barzilai tells The Daily Telegraph. "So avoiding growth hormone may increase ones longevity."

The team does not yet know if longevity is assured by having low growth hormone action throughout life, or whether it is enough to have it decreased at a certain age. "The fact is that growth hormone levels and actions are decreased in old age," he adds.

His team has found other longevity genes - notably CETP and APOC3 - that are also under study to see if there is potential to make anti ageing drugs, though it is too early to speculate on when people will benefit from this understanding.

I am 6'6 and would rather die a few years sooner than walk around all my life at 5'6

I am 6'6 and would rather die a few years sooner than walk around all my life at 5'6

Thats cool - my plan is to scoop up the widow and your money & have a young hottie on the side...revenge is sweet

hahah this thread is going to turn ugly

well,,,ive seen a study where there was a direct correlation between dying younger and getting pussy alot

so more pussy less longevity

throw in your study

taller men get more pussy

they die early

ahhahahahah i made that up, just kidding.

i wish i was 5'8 though for bb purpose...im 6'

know plenty of friends of various sizes shapes getting chicks, its all about attitude.

Well this is only one study.. However, I know there has been alot of research done recently by Economists showing that taller people earn more income... So maybe that is the trade-off for those who are taller: they make more money but do not live quite as long :cool:

Evidence of a link between height and longevity has been found by scientists, suggesting that some short people will live longer than their taller peers.

I guess we will all have to take our chances. Maybe us in betweens (i.e. 5'10") will have it the best overall. I am sure there is a study that some tall people live longer as well. Good post.

Shit I'm 6'10" I wouldn't trade it for anything personally, well maybe a couple more inches hahahaha

Shit I'm 6'10" I wouldn't trade it for anything personally, well maybe a couple more inches hahahaha

Wow 6'10"

I'm 5'6". If I had a choice of any height I'd go with 5'9" or 10".

Some guys over 6'5~" get that weird clunky/uncoordinated/deformed look. I would never want that. It would be hard to put a lot of mass on a frame well over 6' as well.

Also 6'10" bro? I would have a VERY limited amount of women interested in me since they have to get on a ladder to kiss me. HA. I understand she could get on her toes and you bend down but still if she'd 5'10" (which is a decently tall woman) then you have to still bend down a whole foot for every kiss. After 20 minutes of making out my neck would be hurting.

I agree taller guys get more girls than short guys for several reasons. But I think there is a drastic curve of diminishing returns.

Last edited:

God damn... People think i'm tall at only 6'2". I don't think i've ever seen anyone in real life over 6'9". Maybe something in the water here?

God damn... People think i'm tall at only 6'2". I don't think i've ever seen anyone in real life over 6'9". Maybe something in the water here?

Im the same height (~6'10 340) my girl is 5'2 and she loves it.. Ive never had a problem with ladies..

I was searching the net because I was curious if shorter people suffer a HGH deficiency on average. Are we shorter because he never had the HGH levels as our taller colleges? Is is possible that shorter stature person would be respond better to a HGH Regimen? Anyways I found this article and I found it rather interesting.

By Roger Highfield, Science Editor
Published: 10:03PM GMT 03 Mar 2008

Normal variation in human height is due to a blend of environmental factors, notably diet, and genetic factors.

Now one such inherited factor that could extend the human lifespan by as much as one third in theory has been uncovered, though it may come at the cost of a few inches in height.

The work also suggests that the use of growth hormone as an anti-ageing medicine may actually be shortening lifespan.

And it confirms the emerging view among scientists that rather than being a passive, haphazard process of wear and tear, some people may be blessed with genes that make them more likely to live to a ripe old age.

Earlier work by a French team showed that mice lacking one copy of the gene IGF-1 live on average 26 per cent longer than normal, with females enjoying a bigger advantage (33 per cent increase in lifespan) than males (16 per cent increase).

Damping down the same pathway of the metabolism also resulted in extension of lifespan in yeasts, worms, and flies too. And the same pathway is affected by diets low in calories, the only proven way to extend lifespan.

Now a study by Prof Nir Barzilai, Director, Institute for Aging Research, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York, reveals that the same gene is involved in the "oldest old" of people, revealing in the long run how to postpone the physiological ageing process.

Insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1) levels have previously been linked with both ageing and body size, with evidence showing that decreased levels of IGF-1 predispose the animals for short stature, but increased longevity.

To determine if IGF-1 plays a role in human longevity, Prof Barzilai, Dr Yousin Suh and colleagues looked for variations in the gene within a group of Ashkenazi Jewish centenarians and their children.

The researchers used Ashkenazi individuals with no history of familial longevity, matched for age and sex as controls.

Comparing the two groups, the researchers report in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences that centenarians and their offspring were more likely to have a variety of mutations in the IGF-1 receptor which reduced the effects of the factor. As had been shown by the mouse work, the less active IGF-1 pathway had bigger effects on women than men and led to shorter stature.

The work shows that this pathway plays a role in human longevity, which provides new clues as to how to boost lifespan by damping down the action of IGF-1, and other molecules that play a part in this piece of metabolic machinery.

"Practically, this discovery supports the notion that growth hormone, which is injected as anti-ageing medicine in the US (and other countries) maybe dangerous, because it is the people who have low growth hormone levels that are living longer," Prof Barzilai tells The Daily Telegraph. "So avoiding growth hormone may increase ones longevity."

The team does not yet know if longevity is assured by having low growth hormone action throughout life, or whether it is enough to have it decreased at a certain age. "The fact is that growth hormone levels and actions are decreased in old age," he adds.

His team has found other longevity genes - notably CETP and APOC3 - that are also under study to see if there is potential to make anti ageing drugs, though it is too early to speculate on when people will benefit from this understanding.

I would like to say it was an interesting article, but it wasn't.
I saw lots of words like "might", "may", "suggests".

"growth hormone injected to anti-aging MAY be dangerous".....

I call bullshit. I'm sure you have all spoken with and admired those 75-80 year old gym rats on test and GH that look like they're in there 60's.

Read between the lines This is science with an agenda. AKA Bad Science.

know plenty of friends of various sizes shapes getting chicks, its all about attitude.

I think if your wallet & bank account have the right attitude, then chix won't care about your attitude bro....

(The "seat covers" on a Hyundai Pony aren't usually as nice as those in a Ferrari, a Mercedes, or a Porsche. A stretch Bently usually has even higher upgraded "seat covers" to...)

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear