over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Tanning Beds get Highest Carcinogen Rating

Shelby

IFBB PRO / Double Featured Member/Kilo Klub
IFBB PROS
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Sunbeds elevated to top cancer risk level: WHO

The International Agency for Research on Cancer announced Wednesday that it had elevated sunbeds, used by tens of millions of people for tanning, to its highest cancer risk category.

Classified in 1992 and a "probable" cancer agent, research since then has left no doubt that soaking up UV rays at tanning salons significantly enhances the chances of developing the disease, the World Health Organisation (WHO) agency found.

"The use of sunbeds is carcinogenic to humans. It causes melanoma of the skin, and melanoma of the eye," said Vincent Cogliano, an IARC researcher who led the new assessment.

"I cannot see any reason why a healthy person should use them," he told AFP by phone.

The risk of melanoma -- the most lethal form of skin cancer -- increases by 75 percent when use of tanning devices starts before the age of 30, according to the findings, published in the British medical journal The Lancet Oncology.

The link between artificial tanning devices and cancer is not new. The WHO and national health agencies have long cautioned against using sunbeds, much as they have warned about the ill effects of overexposure to the sun.

But threshold of scientific proof is high, and required additional research on animals as well as epidemiological studies of cancer rates among humans before sunbeds could be labeled -- along with tobacco, asbestos and alcohol -- as a carcinogen.

Cogliano said it is not the IARC's role to issue recommendations, but that he hoped the new evaluation would focus attention on the issue.

"We are not a regulatory agency. We publish the scientific results so that the public health agencies can take action as they see fit."

Physicians hailed the decision, and called for tighter regulations for the multi-billion dollar tanning industry.

"We welcome the recognition that sunbeds are carcinogenic," said Nina Goad, spokeswoman for the British Association of Dermatologists.

"It is high time that steps were taken to regulate the industry, to prevent children using sunbeds, and to ensure that sunbeds are subject to health warnings like other known carcinogens."

"We have been trying for a long time to call the attention of the government to the potential risks," said George Reuter, head of Frances National Union of Dermatologists.

Both associations stopped short of calling for an outright ban.

"The solution is to inform the public, not to outlaw sunbeds," said Reuter, adding that many dermatologists in France tell their patients not to exceed ten sessions in year.

Those who use the devices to stay tanned year round are especially at risk, he added.

"People have the right to make their own health choices. Other known carcinogens are not banned, so I don't think you want to set a precedent with sunbeds," Goad said by phone.

Sunbeds are more common in northern Europe and the United States than most other regions. According to a survey conducted last year, some 14 million Germans aged 18 to 45 use them, with a quarter starting before the age of 17.

Earlier studies indicate that nearly a quarter of the adult population in many European countries -- including France, Belgium, Germany and Sweden -- have used sunbeds, which emit a higher concentration of UV rays than sunlight.

The sunbed association, and industry lobby group based in Britain, disputed the IARC's reclassification of tanning devices as carcinogen to humans.

"The relationship between UV exposure and an increased risk of developing skin cancer is only likely to arise where over-exposure -- i.e. burning -- has taken place," it said in a statement.

i wonder if this is another biased study designed to give a specific result

for example we all know that excessive UV rays can cause cancer. our body makes a substance to protect us from it, called melanin. some people/races have more melanin than others. duh! that why some people are black, brown, tan, white, etc. races that have more melanin have better natural genetic defenses against UV rays. was the study done on people of all ethnicities? perhaps just VERY white people were studied thus leading to the conclusion that tanning results in high cancer rates. if the study was performed with people who are naturally light brown/tan/dark then the results would show less cancer rates. either way they show show what genotypes were studied and in what percentages.

i wonder if this is another biased study designed to give a specific result

for example we all know that excessive UV rays can cause cancer. our body makes a substance to protect us from it, called melanin. some people/races have more melanin than others. duh! that why some people are black, brown, tan, white, etc. races that have more melanin have better natural genetic defenses against UV rays. was the study done on people of all ethnicities? perhaps just VERY white people were studied thus leading to the conclusion that tanning results in high cancer rates. if the study was performed with people who are naturally light brown/tan/dark then the results would show less cancer rates. either way they show show what genotypes were studied and in what percentages.

Do people of a dark race use sunbeds?

I know a lot of black people that tan before a BBing competition.

We use to run a tanning studio. So much of that is falsified, biased misinformation.

as with everything else...

I think if you avoid the BURN you will probably be ok.
Sunbeds mimic the sun and stimulate the melanin right?
so if you build up a base tan and keep it, shouldn't be a shield against the burn and thus the carcinogenic effects? I mean we evolved on this planet with this sun and that should be a health giving thing for the vitamin D, right?

I use it for the seaonal adjustment disorder therapy...at least thats what I told my accountant to write off the expense of getting a bed a few years back:D:.

With my Celtic DNA, putting me in a tanning bed is like putting a fork in the microwave

Did you know that Chloride that is in your drinking water more then doubles your potential to develope skin cancer.

You didnt know that did you?

Still they keep adding chloride to the water when there is other safer methods to "clean" the water, adding chloride is not cleaning, its polluting, its chemical poisoning of our drinking water.

But WHO keeps approving and adding it to the drinking water(along with other dangerous chemicals) and then tells everyone that its because of the sun rays and tanning beds that 70% more people then before die of skin cancer nowdays. Well yeah the sun is dangerous if you stay in it too long, but our bodies used to be able to deal with it better. But nowdays when they poison you with chloride your body cant handle it as good and the risk of developing skin cancer almost tripples.

And now they are adding Sodium Flouride too, And that is totally messed up!

Not only do you have it in your toothpaste everyday! Now you are going to drink it too!

You know it use to say on the toothpaste that "do not swallow", "and do not give to children under the age of 6" cause flouride is dangerous and effects your health in different bad ways. (the germans used sodium flouride in the drinking water of prisoners in the prison camps to keep the prisoners calm and submissive)

Well now they add it to your drinking water!

Congratulations!

^^^^ isnt amazing how more people arent outraged by that???

then again, i guess thats the point of adding the fluoride

Did you know that Chloride that is in your drinking water more then doubles your potential to develope skin cancer.

Skin cancer? Can you reference that?

Still they keep adding chloride to the water when there is other safer methods to "clean" the water, adding chloride is not cleaning, its polluting, its chemical poisoning of our drinking water.

Yes it is, and it's sad...

But WHO keeps approving and adding it to the drinking water(along with other dangerous chemicals) and then tells everyone that its because of the sun rays and tanning beds that 70% more people then before die of skin cancer nowdays. Well yeah the sun is dangerous if you stay in it too long, but our bodies used to be able to deal with it better. But nowdays when they poison you with chloride your body cant handle it as good and the risk of developing skin cancer almost tripples.

Why did they used to be able to deal with it better? Why does chloride effect our bodies ability to "handle it as good"?

Agreed.

Not only do you have it in your toothpaste everyday! Now you are going to drink it too!

You know it use to say on the toothpaste that "do not swallow", "and do not give to children under the age of 6" cause flouride is dangerous and effects your health in different bad ways. (the germans used sodium flouride in the drinking water of prisoners in the prison camps to keep the prisoners calm and submissive)

Congratulations!

Honest questions I'm curious about.

Congratulations!

Flouride makes you stupid-just what our government wants so we don't question why our rights are being stripped from us daily.
http://www.fluoridealert.org/health/brain/

I think this is just another over-hyped study that really does not say much at all.. If you listen to the whole thing, they say that if someone uses tanning beds before age 30, then they have a 75% increased risk of developing skin cancer.. To your typical American, that may sound scary and daunting, but a 75% increased risk is pretty negligible.. I mean, you're not even twice as likely to develop skin cancer (which would be 100% increased risk) - big deal.. But if you have a really light fair complexion, you're probably 20x as likely to get skin cancer..

So I wonder if you trigger the response chemically with melanotan I or II prior to tanning how much it would decrease the possible contraction rate of skin cancer..
Be cool if the daily administration of Melanotan could be an aid in fighting off skin cancer.

I owned one and tanned daily for about ten years.I'm screwed!!

Doesn't Flouride harden arteries and what not.?? My dentist is always pretty foward about never swallowing any

^^^^ isnt amazing how more people arent outraged by that???

then again, i guess thats the point of adding the fluoride

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member