over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Testosterone medication may boost risk of heart attack, stroke, death

Monte Brogan

Registered
As with any study, we have to examine its construction - notably, who were the participants? What do we know about their health, diet, etc.? Headlines of studies in major new outlets can often times be sensationalistic and inaccurate.

Monte.

-----------------------------------

latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-heart-disease-testosterone-replacement-20131105,0,3592717.story

latimes.com

By Melissa Healy

1:24 PM PST, November 5, 2013

advertisement
Treating low testosterone may be all the rage these days among men of a certain age. But men bothered by a midlife dip in energy and sex drive may want to think twice about bumping up their "low T" with a testosterone supplement, a new study says.

The new research found that among 8,709 older men who were assessed for the possibility of blocked arteries, those taking testosterone were 30% more likely to suffer an adverse event -- a stroke, a heart attack or death.

"Our findings raise some uncertainty regarding the potential safety of testosterone use in men," concluded the authors, a group of physicians and epidemiologists in Colorado and Texas. While patients taking testosterone should not abandon the medication willy-nilly, they added, "it is important to inform patients that long-term risks are unknown and there is a possibility that testosterone therapy might be harmful."

The latest research, published in the Journal of the American Medical Assn. (JAMA), is the second major study to suggest there may be public health dangers in a booming market for "low T" medication. In 2010, researchers called an early end to a clinical trial of testosterone supplementation in frail older men, many of whom had cardiovascular disease, after they detected a notably higher rate of heart attacks and strokes in the group getting testosterone.

Some 2.9% of all U.S. men over 40 are currently taking prescription testosterone to treat such common symptoms as flagging energy and libido and weight gain. Driven by a surge in direct-to-consumer advertising, yearly prescriptions for these "low T" medications increased fivefold between 2000 and 2011. Today, it's a market worth $1.6 billion annually.

Many men may not have paid attention when the galloping growth of women on hormone replacement therapy came to a screeching halt in 2002, amid news that the popular treatment for menopause symptoms might be driving up the rate of other diseases, such as breast cancer and stroke, among those taking it. But a growing number of researchers have openly fretted that the booming popularity of testosterone treatments -- essentially a form of hormone replacement for men -- may also have unforeseen effects.

In the latest JAMA study, the 14% of men who initiated testosterone therapy after undergoing angiography were generally younger and slightly healthier than the 86% who did not take testosterone. But when all the men were followed for an average of three years, those who took testosterone were almost 30% more likely than those who did not to have an ischemic stroke, a heart attack or to have died of any cause.

Unlike many of the trials of medications' safety, this one looked at men whose health is far from perfect -- in other words, a population of subjects who are typical of American males nearing 60 who are likely to see ads for "low T" medications and wonder if they might feel better on them. A little over half were obese, with a similar proportion having diabetes. Between 85% and 90% had high blood pressure or worrisome cholesterol readings. Almost 6 in 10 showed signs that plaque was obstructing the arteries feeding blood to their hearts.

In the three-year period they were followed, 25.7% of the men taking testosterone supplementation had suffered a stroke, a heart attack or death. Among the men who did not take testosterone, 19.9% suffered one of those outcomes. Notably, among men who took testosterone, those who had come into the study with clear, unobstructed coronary arteries were just as likely to suffer one of those outcomes as were those with established coronary artery disease.

"In light of the high volume of prescriptions and aggressive marketing by testosterone manufacturers, prescribers and patients should be wary," warned physician and epidemiologist Anne R. Cappola of the University of Pennsylvania's Perelman School of Medicine in an invited editorial. "There is mounting evidence of significant cardiovascular risk" which should both spur further research and slow the growth of prescribing the hormone replacement to middle-aged men.

Copyright © 2013, Los Angeles Times

As with any study, we have to examine its construction - notably, who were the participants? What do we know about their health, diet, etc.? Headlines of studies in major new outlets can often times be sensationalistic and inaccurate.

Monte.

-----------------------------------

latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-heart-disease-testosterone-replacement-20131105,0,3592717.story

latimes.com

By Melissa Healy

1:24 PM PST, November 5, 2013

advertisement
Treating low testosterone may be all the rage these days among men of a certain age. But men bothered by a midlife dip in energy and sex drive may want to think twice about bumping up their "low T" with a testosterone supplement, a new study says.

The new research found that among 8,709 older men who were assessed for the possibility of blocked arteries, those taking testosterone were 30% more likely to suffer an adverse event -- a stroke, a heart attack or death.

"Our findings raise some uncertainty regarding the potential safety of testosterone use in men," concluded the authors, a group of physicians and epidemiologists in Colorado and Texas. While patients taking testosterone should not abandon the medication willy-nilly, they added, "it is important to inform patients that long-term risks are unknown and there is a possibility that testosterone therapy might be harmful."

The latest research, published in the Journal of the American Medical Assn. (JAMA), is the second major study to suggest there may be public health dangers in a booming market for "low T" medication. In 2010, researchers called an early end to a clinical trial of testosterone supplementation in frail older men, many of whom had cardiovascular disease, after they detected a notably higher rate of heart attacks and strokes in the group getting testosterone.

Some 2.9% of all U.S. men over 40 are currently taking prescription testosterone to treat such common symptoms as flagging energy and libido and weight gain. Driven by a surge in direct-to-consumer advertising, yearly prescriptions for these "low T" medications increased fivefold between 2000 and 2011. Today, it's a market worth $1.6 billion annually.

Many men may not have paid attention when the galloping growth of women on hormone replacement therapy came to a screeching halt in 2002, amid news that the popular treatment for menopause symptoms might be driving up the rate of other diseases, such as breast cancer and stroke, among those taking it. But a growing number of researchers have openly fretted that the booming popularity of testosterone treatments -- essentially a form of hormone replacement for men -- may also have unforeseen effects.

In the latest JAMA study, the 14% of men who initiated testosterone therapy after undergoing angiography were generally younger and slightly healthier than the 86% who did not take testosterone. But when all the men were followed for an average of three years, those who took testosterone were almost 30% more likely than those who did not to have an ischemic stroke, a heart attack or to have died of any cause.

Unlike many of the trials of medications' safety, this one looked at men whose health is far from perfect -- in other words, a population of subjects who are typical of American males nearing 60 who are likely to see ads for "low T" medications and wonder if they might feel better on them. A little over half were obese, with a similar proportion having diabetes. Between 85% and 90% had high blood pressure or worrisome cholesterol readings. Almost 6 in 10 showed signs that plaque was obstructing the arteries feeding blood to their hearts.

In the three-year period they were followed, 25.7% of the men taking testosterone supplementation had suffered a stroke, a heart attack or death. Among the men who did not take testosterone, 19.9% suffered one of those outcomes. Notably, among men who took testosterone, those who had come into the study with clear, unobstructed coronary arteries were just as likely to suffer one of those outcomes as were those with established coronary artery disease.

"In light of the high volume of prescriptions and aggressive marketing by testosterone manufacturers, prescribers and patients should be wary," warned physician and epidemiologist Anne R. Cappola of the University of Pennsylvania's Perelman School of Medicine in an invited editorial. "There is mounting evidence of significant cardiovascular risk" which should both spur further research and slow the growth of prescribing the hormone replacement to middle-aged men.

Copyright © 2013, Los Angeles Times

Great post. People don't realize that we are in the infancy period of HRT. We won't know most of the adverse effects for years to come. But more than likely I'm going to die of one of those anyway, and if I feel better than I ever have, but it shortens my life a bit, I'm going to stick with taking test. It's quality of life that's important to me not quantity.

fitnesskatz

Great post. People don't realize that we are in the infancy period of HRT. We won't know most of the adverse effects for years to come. But more than likely I'm going to die of one of those anyway, and if I feel better than I ever have, but it shortens my life a bit, I'm going to stick with taking test. It's quality of life that's important to me not quantity.

man for every study that shows something negative there a study that shows how its not here i look at it we all gonna die we only young once so im gonna live and lift like a motherfucker cuz when we get old we be just like all the other old ppl sit around all day, watch cnn, and bitch,,,and im not being sarcastic im just saying that how i look at it

man for every study that shows something negative there a study that shows how its not here i look at it we all gonna die we only young once so im gonna live and lift like a motherfucker cuz when we get old we be just like all the other old ppl sit around all day, watch cnn, and bitch,,,and im not being sarcastic im just saying that how i look at it

I completely agree brother, I'm not going to stop, I'm going to die of something! HRT will be like eggs, one day it will be good for u the next day it will be bad.

fitnesskatz

this isnt directed toward you in no way but its just like i said shit they had this huge study by university of texas (this shit on CNN),,,had 4 subjects between 35-45 take cyp. for 6 months strait one took 1cc, 1 took 2cc, 1 took 3cc, 1 took4cc, only negative side effect was social inadequate vocabulary,, even dude taking 800mg a week his live enzymes was elevated 12 pts above normal

i dont encourage nor disencourage it,,,its not smack or meth,,,i think its someone personal business there so much worse things out there than some gear

I ain't stopping with my trt. There are so many things to die prematurely from anyways, so why worry. Let me see, we got air pollution, highly processed foods with high fat and sodium contents, second-hand smoke, stress, shit the list is endless. I'm sticking with my trt.

HRT for women is linked to serious health risks and deaths. it is no longer recommended. Why would HRT for men be any different. It's ok to have smaller muscles and get older. This is just the beginning of male HRT being prescribed. Unfortunately, many men will die from HRT trying to hold on to their youth. And look at the doses people claim here as HRT. 250, 300, 400 mgs a week!! Those are cycles not true HRT. True HRT would be about 100mg a week and that will still lead to problems.

You can sit and cherry pick studies all day long that will validate what ever point of view you want to make. Like with EVERYTHING in life everything comes with positives and negatives. That's just how the world and universe works, you can't have good withouit a certain amount of bad. There has to be some kind of counter force. Look at women who get estrogen replacement, they too must make their choice choosing between the positives and negatives they wish to risk. Same goes for men. Choose between a possible higher risk of dying of heart problems but better quality of life or lesser risk of heart problems and lower quality of life. To each their own. Life is full of choices, hopefully we still have the right to choose what risks we want in our lives without the government intervening.

About the study, it said:

In the three-year period they were followed, 25.7% of the men taking testosterone supplementation had suffered a stroke, a heart attack or death. Among the men who did not take testosterone, 19.9% suffered one of those outcomes.

So in reality the risk of heart disease is barely 6% higher for HRT users, not 30%? Maybe the 30% is calculated some other way based on the number of people involved in the different groups?

Also:

those who took testosterone were almost 30% more likely than those who did not to have an ischemic stroke, a heart attack or to have died of any cause.

What does "..die of any cause" really mean and how is it measured? If somebody dies in a car accident would that be a part af that number? How do we translate that to HRT? Do men on HRT drive more risky/aggressively since they have higher testosterone in their bodies and therefor have a greater chance of dying?

Bottom line, dying of a heart disease is - HRT or not - one of the main causes of death. I am not sure 6% higher risk is a deterring factor (or is it 30%?). Anyway, studies are notoriously risky to follow blindly. Daily we see the pathetic media ranting on about how one day eating breakfast causes peoeple to be slimmer and the next day it is the other way round -all based on some study that the reporter has chosen to write off as the truth.

HRT - increased risk of certain diseases - probably. Decreased risk of other diseases - yes. It is up to us to choose.

this isnt directed toward you in no way but its just like i said shit they had this huge study by university of texas (this shit on CNN),,,had 4 subjects between 35-45 take cyp. for 6 months strait one took 1cc, 1 took 2cc, 1 took 3cc, 1 took4cc, only negative side effect was social inadequate vocabulary,, even dude taking 800mg a week his live enzymes was elevated 12 pts above normal

i dont encourage nor disencourage it,,,its not smack or meth,,,i think its someone personal business there so much worse things out there than some gear

I'm interested in it affecting vocabulary? I have had discussions with friends who swore by this and might have noticed it myself.

HRT for women is linked to serious health risks and deaths. it is no longer recommended. Why would HRT for men be any different. It's ok to have smaller muscles and get older. This is just the beginning of male HRT being prescribed. Unfortunately, many men will die from HRT trying to hold on to their youth. And look at the doses people claim here as HRT. 250, 300, 400 mgs a week!! Those are cycles not true HRT. True HRT would be about 100mg a week and that will still lead to problems.

Linked to possible health risks! There are also many positives with HRT for women so they have to make a choice. Let's not make it sound that it is all evil. Luckily, women still have the choice, so do men. Like I said, there are positives and negatives with everything in lilfe. Many men will also eventually die from low test. Let's not start comparing real HRT - which this article was about - and BB who juice and create their own HRT regimen. Two different things.

Well I had to ask my wife on that I had no idea to be honest she says it means u become more withdrawn and more focused on yourself with your own goals therefore a decrease in friendships now I myself think that is a good thing but that's me

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk

Yeah...I saw this tonight at work. I was like..."Really? Is this from the 'No-Shit-Sherlock Daily Gazette'?" High testosterone can (and will) shorten your life in many ways. But, I am going to die, no matter what I do...so why the fuck do I care? As long as you don't go crazy with it for long periods, you should be relatively okay. Granted, if you are predisposed to hypertension and heart failure, you are at a higher risk. But do we want to look like everyone else? Of course not. I am 46 years old and I have been doing this shit for 26 years. Have I shortened my life? Probably. I keep my doses in the "sane" range and have never got ridiculous (by our standards) with my doses. But I see people my age every day who LOOK their age...I do not. Plus I am a BEAST in the sack! lol.

Stroke, or heart attack LOL !

What else do people die from ? When you are suppose to die, you just don't fall on the ground and go unconscious with every organ working, SOMETHING has to fail... and most of the times you get a stroke or a heart attack

Now are they talking about premature heart attacks or strokes ?

Why don't they do researches on the shit that's in our food ? FOOD in AMERICA is equal to shit unless you are a wealthy or a healthy person that cares about your food. Look at the Cereals next time, 80% of them have HF Corn Syrup, is that what you feed your kids ????... The avg joes in America don't know what the fuck they eat, they buy anything, the cheapest so that their hunger goes away, I go to school and I see so many kids drinking bottles of Coke, pepsi, mtn dew.. It's SAD MAN ! SAD

Last edited:
Appreciate the OP's information but the fact it says '2013 Los angeles times' makes me wonder, i'm from the U.K and if any of our papers would post something like this, i would not believe it and call propaganda.

I thought that low test levels have been shown to increase risk of heart issues??

I was under the impression that true HRT not bodybuilding dose had positive effects on health and heart health.

I think like others have said you pick your poison.

This is similar to how I look at it: We're all going to die anyway. I'd rather be strong, fit, have a nice body, live life fully till I'm around 70, and then die a quick death.

What's the point of living an extra 5-10 years? I don't want to live and be an 80-year-old man, wearing diapers and living in a nursing home! That's not living - that's surviving and suffering! ;).

In bold....The acceptance of pussification.

True TRT will have you three times healthier than a 300ng/dl test level.

True TRT will give you the strength and drive and motivation to tackle on the world.

True TRT will keep your dick working so youre able to have and maintain a healthy sex life with your partner well into the 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s, and even 80 years of age.

You go ahead and accept your pussification in getting smaller and having the strength and testosterone level of a teenage girl during puberty and your dick shriveling up like a wet noodle….Ill make sure Im living the good life :cool:

In bold....The acceptance of pussification.

True TRT will have you three times healthier than a 300ng/dl test level.

True TRT will give you the strength and drive and motivation to tackle on the world.

True TRT will keep your dick working so youre able to have and maintain a healthy sex life with your partner well into the 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s, and even 80 years of age.

You go ahead and accept your pussification in getting smaller and having the strength and testosterone level of a teenage girl during puberty and your dick shriveling up like a wet noodle….Ill make sure Im living the good life :cool:

LMAO this should be framed! :headbang:

Even if TRT was shown to increase mortality by 1000% everyone here would say, "fuck that, give me the testosterone!" Me included. :D

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear