over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

times are changing. bodybuilding vs physique

Show me several successful bodybuilders...lmao

There are more physique competitors who have NORMAL jobs and make good money at them than bodybuilders, who just look like freaks to be honest and can't really do anything besides personal training. I know a bunch of other guys who have good REAL jobs.

Unless you have made a really good name for yourself to be able to charge a lot for personal training (and have tons of business) or online coaching, there is no money is bodybuilding or men's physique. However, when you aren't 270lbs, more people take you seriously and a lot more doors open.

CDJack, I don't understand why you get so defensive on this topic?

MPD will EASILY dwarf Bodybuilding in terms of popularity and mainstream appeal, and anyone who doesn't see that is likely delusional. But with that being said, WHO CARES??
Bodybuilding has, and always will be a fringe/niche endeavor (and please, I'm not interested in waxing poetic about a handful of shows being broadcast on ESPN when the station had a viewership of 2, and wasn't even on cable lol)

And To add CDJack, I, and probably a lot of "Dumb bodybuilders", take offense when you discredit our mental capacity beyond personal training. Most competitors I know hold down CAREERS outside of the fitness industry. I do agree that appearance can influence ppls perception of you and what you are capable of doing, but you do realize they have WEIGHT CLASSES IN BODYBUILDING TOO!?!

Not all bodybuilders look like Freaks...

No. over the past year the IFBB pros in physique are blowing up. Even the NOC competitors are much bigger. 2 years ago he would have been too big. Times are changing and people don't want to see twigs on stage anymore. If they ever switch to briefs I think there will be a lot more respect.

If I'm not mistaken Gunsmith started a thread not to long ago about how next year the IFBB is going to start making Men's Physique wear briefs and are ditching the trunks.

http://www.professionalmuscle.com/f...-outfits-mens-physique-changig-next-year.html

And personally I think JJ is on the money, Physique is the future of bodybuilding. It looks like the IFBB is slowly changing and evolving the division into something that has the more "Golden Era" look and feel to it. The competitors are getting bigger, leaner, and more symmetrical and soon their going to be in briefs which means leg development is going to start being a factor in placings now. I would not be surprised if sometime in the next couple of years the IFBB starts slowly adding required posing until eventually it looks like a "Golden Era" stage routine.

Last edited:
physique is not the future of bodybuilding
I dont think you meant it that way
physique has a future, but it will never replace bodybuilding, never
I think you prob meant in the way that it is the future of the sport of physique competitions in general. (myb I am wrong though??)

I will most likely switch to physique (don't tell Shelby). I will prbably compete one more then switch. If I compete at mid 180's at 5'9" in light heavies I think transferring over will be easy.

For me it's about not having to become large and uncomfortable in offseason force feeding all the time. Also I have a normal job and it can be a pain with work clothes considering everything is fitted. I agree with CD that you can probably market yourself better and become more successful. Plus I have the face for men's physique lol.

Your right CM, sorry I worded that wrong.

But I do think that Physique is the future. And IF it ever gets to the point were the average competitor looks like Frank Zane (which I can def see happening down the line), wont it essentially have morphed itself into bodybuilding sub culture and eventually become bodybuilding?

Just putting out some food for thought... Not trying to start a fight... I would love to hear some people's thoughts on this idea of Physique's future though.

Some people are getting carried away in here. The average competitor will never look like Frank Zane. Maybe a poster boy or two but do you realize what youre saying. Thats like saying the average competitor in NPC bodybuilding will look like Franco or Arnold. Frank Zanes and Flex Wheelers dont grow on trees.

Physique is going to be the cash cow for the NPC. Big deal. Every prep coach and promoter is fucking ecstatic because theyre reeling in money from people that dont want to spend the time to learn their body because theyve been in the gym 4 months now..and they need to get on stage in 8 weeks. Its laughable. Meanwhile those same people making all that extra cash off everyone and their brother who thinks they can jump into a show is probably shit-talking these guys because they aren't bodybuilders. Trust me I know some coaches that are more than happy to prep these guys cuz of the $ but still think its a joke. Promoters too.

It's all about cashing in...not what promoters would like at their shows or in the sport neccessarily. It very well might evolve into something solid, but that's it's quite a ways off. The only ones who are going to be amazing at it are the ones with the super super marketable good looks, or guys that use AAS and train a LOT(like bodybuilders) or your genetic freaks who stay at 190 5% year round. Still, a lot of male physique guys can half ass their way to a show by starving themselves and taking some winny or var with a small side of test.

Everyone wants instant gratification and recognition with doing as little work as possible. That is why physique is not only attainable, but popular in A LOT of cases.

there will always be those of us that want to be 250+, so no, it will never take over, but if it turns into what you are envisioning, 2/3 of the people who do it now and will get into it over the next couple years will be phased out.

what you are describing is not what men's physique is right now, they just think it is. no one looks like that in mens pysique, not that they could not, but they do not right now

that evolution is the same evolution from zane/columbo/dickerson/bannout to coleman. took many years

Men's physique should be reserved for dedicated bodybuilders who cant take it to the next level genetically. Limiting factors such as not being able to really get over 200-220 without ABUSING the hell out of drugs. The guys who are 5'11-6+ and Light Heavyweights....

Not MOST of the ignorant, half serious and dedicated jackasses I see doing it because its the cool new thing to do.

I think Mens Physique is definitely destined as someone else here stated before to become classic bodybuilding, that means dropping the campy beachwear type gear and getting completely symmerical to include legs.
However I also think Bodybuiders are destined to get bigger until we are repulsed by this, then the sport will reboot, and classic will win out.

Men's physique should be reserved for dedicated bodybuilders who cant take it to the next level genetically. Limiting factors such as not being able to really get over 200-220 without ABUSING the hell out of drugs. The guys who are 5'11-6+ and Light Heavyweights....

Not MOST of the ignorant, half serious and dedicated jackasses I see doing it because its the cool new thing to do.

Exactly. I would love to be a bodybuilder, but my wrists are the size on teenage girls and I have long arms and legs so it makes it damn near impossible to make them look big. My body fits perfectly in physique.

I can't stand the half asses guys either. At my last show I remember guys back stage bragging about how they had only been dieting 3 weeks. This was my 4th show of the year an I had been dieting for months. At the end of the night it was worth it because took it all home.

Some people are getting carried away in here. The average competitor will never look like Frank Zane. Maybe a poster boy or two but do you realize what youre saying.

Knight your right, I guess that was to broad a generalization and should have been more specific. I was talking about IFBB Pro Physique guys holding that Zane-esq appearance. And if you look at the Physique guys that are showing up to the Olympia you can see that its well on its way to become the standard for top end Physique class competitors.

Physique is going to be the cash cow for the NPC. Big deal. Every prep coach and promoter is fucking ecstatic because theyre reeling in money from people that dont want to spend the time to learn their body because theyve been in the gym 4 months now..and they need to get on stage in 8 weeks. Its laughable.

Now that I can def agree with you on. Most kids you see going into the local and state level Physique shows are joke. And your right it is because of the whole want for instant gratification and recognition. I'm not disagreeing with you on that at all. But alot of the actual Physique pro's hold a body that is pretty impressive and you can def tell they put their time in.

cm said:
what you are describing is not what men's physique is right now, they just think it is. no one looks like that in mens pysique, not that they could not, but they do not right now

that evolution is the same evolution from zane/columbo/dickerson/bannout to coleman. took many years

CM I have no illusion that today's Physique is NOT the reincarnation of the "Golden Era" look, but I do think your right that many of the new comers on the scene somehow have it in their heads that in its current state that is what Physique is. Their delusional.

But I think that we are both in agreement that somewhere down the road Physique has a chance of turning into the "Golden Era" image, or I just read that wrong lol

And like I said earlier, you can already see it happening.1) No more trunks, their making them wear briefs now. 2) Guys are getting bigger, leaner, and more symmetrical and placing incredibly high at IFBB shows because of it. Just look on this very thread- Sadik Hadzovic is freaking huge and incredibly lean for a Physique guy and he's going to the Olympia this year. And if they ever have to start posing you bet not long after that almost every Physique guy that steps on the Olympia stage will have that Zane-esq look too them.

The level of stupid on this board is too much for me. I am being 100% serious when I say this...PLEASE ban me so I am never tempted to post on this forum again. It's just a huge waste of my time and I have much better things to do. There are so many things I want to say, but all of them are denigrating and not nice, so I will hold my tongue for once.

I'm out. Never to return. And glad about it. Those of you who have my website or contact info, feel free to reach out that way if you ever want to talk.

You mean we will no longer be blessed with your negative, ignorant, yet all knowing attitude anymore? What a tragedy!

Your posts make for better facebook statuses bro ;)

I will explain me thoughts further but theres too much to type out on my phone

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

It's just like how they said CROSS-FIT was so much better than BODYBUILDING. Now it's Male Physique. Most are Genetically Inferior guys that don't have the Mental fortitude or determination to train and build their body from the ground up, period.....and that's ok. Bodybuilding isn't for everybody but Stay In Your Lane!! You don't hear NPC guy talking down about Natural guys because they don't want to take drugs. So why all these threads??

H-

I love watching these threads, especially for the opinions from members that have never even stepped on a stage or ever will...BB and MP are two different things and no one is better then the other like saying women's physique is better the womens BB...completely separate, glad there is so there's something for everybody...most importantly fans so We can still have a sport

well, i'm 43 and i can honestly say that age MUST ba a factor, because it is THE factor for me. i simply got tired of consuming 5000 cals/ day trying to hold on to an extra 15 lbs of muscle that would try to fall off me if i missed a meal, and stressing over the scale. i've been the BIG guy (for me, anyway, not a monster though), but now i'mm bigger than the average joe (not huge), but even better, i look more in shape than a lot of people in their 30's (not being arrogant, just that hard work pays off, and i am proud). i like to look good, and i like to feel good. my priorities have simply changed.

well, i'm 43 and i can honestly say that age MUST ba a factor, because it is THE factor for me. i simply got tired of consuming 5000 cals/ day trying to hold on to an extra 15 lbs of muscle that would try to fall off me if i missed a meal, and stressing over the scale. i've been the BIG guy (for me, anyway, not a monster though), but now i'mm bigger than the average joe (not huge), but even better, i look more in shape than a lot of people in their 30's (not being arrogant, just that hard work pays off, and i am proud). i like to look good, and i like to feel good. my priorities have simply changed.

No one is knocking the 40+ year old former bodybuilder or gym rat that doesn't want to kill himself with drugs.

i.ve seen alot of arguments talking about age and as you get older its about health and that is why MP is going to be great.

Honestly how many older gentlemen are actually in MP

Let not fool ourselves, they do not even have a master's division yet
shows are full of 20 somethings

Bodybuilding barely holds its credibility with questionable judging.

The biggest problem with physique is that there is no judging standard.
1) Can't be too big.
2) Can't be too lean.
3) Can't set a guideline for symmetry.

So who the hell wins? How do you explain to somebody how you won your physique title? "I was the perfect shade of gray."

A sport or competition should be the highest level of whatever it is you're supposed to do, not somewhere in between.

I don't necessarily like the whole physique class but its everyones choice what they want to do with there body. At the end of the day once a competitive athlete always an athlete. The guy has awesome genetics and wants to look like a human plus hes like 50. Rock on Mr. Murray :headbang:

Plus all these fuckin negative comments on a guy that age or talking shit about the physique class wont get us anywhere. Those guys are still people that go to the gym and train and want to look good. I guarantee you most of those guys bust there ass so who are we to take that away from them just because there not 260 shredded.

Last edited:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner