over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Too Much of a Good Thing?: When Fish Oil Starts Clogging Arteries

Pharm_Fed

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Thought this was an interesting article someone reminded me about the other day. Figured I'd share.

ScreenShot2012-10-09at195744_zps73b059cc.png

ScreenShot2012-10-09at195806_zps58a25d3c.png

ScreenShot2012-10-09at195905_zps3d206bcb.png

You'd hope the BO and fishy breath would get to people long before this:D

No fucking shit too much of it is a bad thing. Too much of anything is a bad thing. Was all this really necessary just to get that point across?

No fucking shit too much of it is a bad thing. Too much of anything is a bad thing. Was all this really necessary just to get that point across?

Thanks for that input jackass. I don't know how much reading you've done in the 3 months you've been a member but 5g+ of fish oil a day is not uncommon, and around here that in conjunction with a low fat diet is also not uncommon which is the very combination the study refers to.

That amount of fish oil is not uncommon. Nothing wrong with reading multiple articles/studies and then forming your own opinion.

Interesting article. I do 2-3 grams of fish oil ED. Like with everything else in life I believe in moderation now.

The Eskimos love their fish oil and they don't have any problems.

FYI:

These rats ate NO other source of fat whatsoever in their diets except for the fish oil, which amounted to 15.9% of their daily caloric intake.

On a 3000kcal / day diet, we're talking about 477 kcal or more like 53 grams of fat from fish oil.

-S

FYI:

These rats ate NO other source of fat whatsoever in their diets except for the fish oil, which amounted to 15.9% of their daily caloric intake.

On a 3000kcal / day diet, we're talking about 477 kcal or more like 53 grams of fat from fish oil.

-S

That puts things in perspective. Thanks H.

FYI:

-S

That's what I call intelligent analisys

Ill still be taking my fish oil sups.

Awesome post Fred. I've certainly considered lowering my fish oil dose to around 1-2g (from 3g) and have considered upping my EFA blend (flax, cla, borage, sesame, etc) because of this. I'll need to do further research on fish oil based on this data...don't want to be taking too much and hurting my heart while wasting my money.

The Eskimos love their fish oil and they don't have any problems.

True, but their fish oil comes from eating fresh fish, not taking a fish oil pill with a low fat diet.

Awesome post Fred. I've certainly considered lowering my fish oil dose to around 1-2g (from 3g) and have considered upping my EFA blend (flax, cla, borage, sesame, etc) because of this. I'll need to do further research on fish oil based on this data...don't want to be taking too much and hurting my heart while wasting my money.

Thanks man.

While the dose is high, in the conclusion they state a low fat diet with 'excessive' fish oil supplementation can be unhealthy. I think there is still something to be gleaned from this study.

True, but their fish oil comes from eating fresh fish, not taking a fish oil pill with a low fat diet.

Thanks man.

While the dose is high, in the conclusion they state a low fat diet with 'excessive' fish oil supplementation can be unhealthy. I think there is still something to be gleaned from this study.

I am asian and eat tons of fish and sushi. I get bloodwork done regularly and my hdl/ldl levels are always in normal range. Asian diet in general, including eskimos includes a lot of healthy fats from fish and shellfish. :D

High quantities of purified fish oil or high intake of whole fish makes zero difference. The stuff's good for you plain and simple. The amounts they used were conservative if you ask me.

Who knows what else they were feeding them.

I'm willing to bet money they gave these rats very little exercise and probably had them cooped up in a small cage.

Rats are known for being very active, especially the females. Too many calories and not enough exercise = the fraudulent results of this bogus experiment.

Last edited:
High quantities of purified fish oil or high intake of whole fish makes zero difference. The stuff's good for you plain and simple. The amounts they used were conservative if you ask me.

Who knows what else they were feeding them.

LOL.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that anyone who reads the study can know what they were being fed b/c it's broken down in immaculate detail in the study, especially the FA content of the fish oil component of the chow (see Tables 1 and 2).

I'm willing to bet money they gave these rats very little exercise and probably had them cooped up in a small cage.

Rats are known for being very active, especially the females. Too many calories and not enough exercise = the fraudulent results of this bogus experiment.

The purpose was to compare two fat sources in the diet with other factors being equivalent.

What fraud is being perpetrated here?... :)

This is the opening paragraph to their Discussion (emphasis mine):

Our results showed that animals fed with fish
oil as the only source of dietary fat, developed
fatty streak in aorta as well as ductular cell
hyperplasia in liver more than the animals fed
with standard diet. Our findings also indicated
that aortic and hepatic lesions were positively
correlated. The food ingested by animals, as
well as their weight and height were not significantly
different between dietary groups, so it
seems the difference between groups may be
due to the type of fats used in diets
. Increased
aortic and hepatic lesions may be due to presence
of very long chain polyunsaturated fatty
acids in fish oil which increases fatty acid oxidation.
Studies showed that omega-3 polyunsaturated
fatty acids from fish oil origin are
very long chain with couples of double bonds;
so they accumulate in hepatocytes and increase
lipid peroxidation.
Lipid peroxidation products
inhibit glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase
which in turn decreases NADPH production
and reduced form of glutathione. Hepatic
oxidative stress and hepatic steatosis positively
correlate with dosage of fish oil used.20,21
Some researchers have postulated that there is
a relationship between fish oil adverse effects
on atherosclerosis and hepatic steatosis, as it
contains very long chain omega-3 polyunsaturated
fatty acids which doesn’t get completely
metabolized by the liver.22

----------------

-S

I've been taking 10-15g of fish oil for years now, my health and bloodwork is at an all time high. Yes its not just the fish oil but still

personaly glad this study exists, this fish oil craze is beginning to frustrate me

everytime i walk into a dam chemist half the dam shop now is full of fish and krill oil tablets stocked on every isle and shelf

they honestly sell this stuff like it cures cancer

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311