advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

WERE you self-conscious when you first started working out???

hghanadrol1

Registered
I'm really self-conscious when I'm at my gym and see guys doing twice my weight....I just now started to get into hardcore lifting instead of the casual lifting....

To me, its depressing to see me not be on their lever and I feel like they look at me and just laugh....

Anyone else have those feel or thoughts when they first started out?

I'm really self-conscious when I'm at my gym and see guys doing twice my weight....I just now started to get into hardcore lifting instead of the casual lifting....

To me, its depressing to see me not be on their lever and I feel like they look at me and just laugh....

to be honest, they probably aren't lookiing at you and judging you. most of them are probably pretty cool guys and would help you out if you asked. don't worry about what others are doing, just worry about yourself. with hard work and dedication one day you'll become one of those guys who you see doing double your weights

+1

to be honest, they probably aren't lookiing at you and judging you. most of them are probably pretty cool guys and would help you out if you asked. don't worry about what others are doing, just worry about yourself. with hard work and dedication one day you'll become one of those guys who you see doing double your weights

When I look at others that aren't as advanced as me, I smile and kinda laugh too.

I'm not making fun of them though, I'm just thinking back to when I was just starting out and remembering what it was like for me when I was in in their shoes.

I always help them or share advice when they ask.

Have you tried talking to these guys?

It might go a long way to helping you feel more comfortable when you're in the gym to know the people you're around.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys....Like they arent assholes or anything, but they are just intimidating....I just need to work on my patience, because I want to be like them so bad and so fast, lol......

when i was starting out, just a teenager, all the big dudes at the gym took me under their wing because i busted my ass every day. I wasn't around once in a while, i was always around and always working my ass off, and they spent a lot of time and energy helping me.

Now......over a decade later, i haven't returned the favor, i haven't seen anyone putting the effort in.....so like Terry, i just kind of laugh.

when i see somebody who's off to a real good start these days.......they're way too cocky to be worth my time. I'd be more than happy to help if they had any humility and interest in learning.

gotta agree here, usually the big dudes are the coolest most helpful guys around. don't be surprised if you ask them a question and they spend all their free time between sets talking to you.

I don't remember feeling intimidated, I just remember being like a kid in a candy shop I was so into being at the gym and training. Now, years later, I find that guys come up to me and ask questions and I don't mind a bit. I am happy to help out. I have total respect for anybody I see at the gym consistently and training hard with enthusiasm.

So enjoy the journey and your time at the gym. I bet most of those huge guys were actually pretty small when they started training. Ask them advice. I bet they'll take it as a compliment and help you out

Its a piece of muscular dysmorphia anyhow, I think if you get deep enough in it you'll always sort of feel that way, as there will always be someone who has bigger x than you, or better definition or symmetry or whatever.

Not self concious at all because Muscle Mass and Bodyfat Doesnt Mean shit.

Its what the person is that count, how they act and and talk as a human being.

Whether hes 250 35% Bodyfat.

150 5% Body

or 240 5% Bodyfat

I remember being intimidated...I was a late bloomer & in HS even alot of the girls were taller & weighed more then Me(I graduated weighing 135-140) now 12yrs & 75-80lbs later I still remember those days

Tell me about it, I was so timid when I was 18 and working out, I was doing some sets on the lat pulldowns when inbetween sets the biggest dude in my gym asked me how many sets I had left and I almost finished my workout right there, He told me he wasnt trying to run me off and laughed. Months later, I was telling the same dude I was up to 20 sets for my back workout, he just shook his head and told me that im crazy to do that much work. Can you believe that it took me 10 years to listen to that guy?

I try and use bigger guys for motivation instead of being intimidated. If I see them lift xxx lbs, I try and push myself to see how close I can get to what they're lifting.

Also, when I see other guys in the gym, if they look like they are trying and there to train, I don't judge them, I usually want to help them. The guys that are just there screwing around I don't even pay attention to.

Hell no, I lost my ego years ago. I couldn't care less how much weight other people use, or what they think about me and the poundages I use. Try not to worry about it, I don't. Oh, one more thing. Those other guys won't think badly of you because you don't use heavy weights. They WILL laugh at you if you try to use weights that are too heavy for you and you use terrible form. Just use good form and weights you can handle. Talk about being intimidated, when I was 19 I worked out in the same gym with Lou Ferrigno and Rick Wayne, among others. (Vince's Gym) I was 5'9" and weighed around 150. lol

Last edited:
The veteran lifters, I mean the real big guys not the young punks who gain 20lbs of water weight to look good for girls at the clubs are usually very cool if you approach them between sets, in a humble manner. Don't mention steroids at all, just ask for tips on training and diet.

Thanks for the advice guys....Like they arent assholes or anything, but they are just intimidating....I just need to work on my patience, because I want to be like them so bad and so fast, lol......

I feel self conscious when I don't go.:) I had to take about a year off, was totally clean, and I admit, starting back I was self conscious a bit until I got my weights back up. Not proud of it at my age.

I think you will find, for the most part, that the guys lifting the most weights, especially the more mature ones, are the least interested in the "amount" you lift, and more appreciative of your effort, consistency, and demeanor, i.e (do you rerack your weights, do you do a set of "mirrrors" after each set ectc.).

I give much respect for people who are in the gym lifting iron on a sunny summer evening instead of on a deck lifting margaritas. You are fine, keep it up.

PWood

Relax bro, I can't speak for these guys in your gy,m but I respect anyone who trains in the same gym as me who is working hard. I don't care how much they lift or how big they are. We all started somewhere and have goals that we are trying to achieve. Train hard and don't do anything to try and impress anyone. The only time I might shake my head is when i see someone who is using far to much weight with 1/4 reps screaming like a fool for attention.

Train hard and you will earn the physique you desire.

Good luck.

I am not the biggest guy in the gym but i do workout pretty heavy and hard and top be honest, i certainly don't pay any attention to what other people are doing in the gym. I am there to beat my previous best and thats it.

Just worry about increasing your weights and before you know it you will be doing their weights, if not more.

i wouldnt even go to gym til i worked out the best i could at home first, for that very reason. i work out at a college fitness center, and there's either big ass football players or big ass older guys. and some hot chicks. intimidating, yes. but i just try and ignore that.

Learn from them.....

Anybody you inspire to be like can be intimidating. A bigger BB'er. The CEO of your company. The owner of your company. A professor. The list goes on and one. The reality of it is that these people and the guys at your gym are probably nice people. I find that people that make it big in life are rarely assholes. Find a way to turn your intimidation into curiosity and try to learn from these dudes. You don't even really have to talk to them just sort of watch how the lift...etc..

Last edited:
Relax bro, I can't speak for these guys in your gy,m but I respect anyone who trains in the same gym as me who is working hard. I don't care how much they lift or how big they are.

I agree.

Dmoore:

Hardcore is when your doing your absolute best. If the weight is heavy for you, yet you push throught the pain for another rep or so, than you are kicking ass!

It doesnt matter if its 135lbs or 600lbs. Its all relative to the individual.

Keep kickin ass man!

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner