alfresco

Featured Member / Kilo Klub Member
Staff member
Super Moderators
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Board Supporter
Seems there is a growing body of evidence to suggest that stretch marks may also be
greatly influenced by hormonal changes, which perhaps goes a along way towards
explaining why so many bodybuilders get stretch marks, with their hormonal levels
being what they are (I'm sure these are exceptions).

The article below seems to make sense, and is fairly consistent with what I have read before,
and what little I know about the subject, excepting the remark about "the use of dangerous
bodybuilding steroid drugs". Case in point: I first experienced stretch marks thirty years
before I ever touched a "steroid", never after, which in retrospect may be somewhat logical
because at the time I was young and probably had a ton of testosterone running through
my veins. But now I probably have twice(?) the testosterone than I did when I was
younger and like I said, no stretch marks . . . but then again, it has been a while since I
experienced any significant muscular growth.

What are stretch marks? (courtesy http://skin-care.health-cares.net/stretch-marks.php)

Stretch marks are fine lines on the body that occur from tissue under your skin tearing from rapid growth or over-stretching . It is a common condition that does not cause any significant medical problems but can be of cosmetic concern for some people. Other names for stretch marks are striate distensile, striate atrophic, striate rubric (which are red) and striate alba (white). There are two basic varieties of stretch marks: white and red. Older, mature stretch marks are commonly white or silver-colored; newer stretch marks tend to be reddish or purple in color. Light-based technologies are now available to treat both types of stretch marks non-invasively, allowing them to gently fade into memory — where most people think they belong.

Stretch marks are a normal part of puberty for most girls and guys. When a person grows or gains weight really quickly (like during puberty), that person may get fine lines on the body called stretch marks. Stretch marks happen when the tissue under the skin is pulled by rapid growth or stretching. Although the skin is usually fairly elastic, when it's overstretched, the normal production of collagen (the major protein that makes up the connective tissue in your skin) is disrupted. As a result, scars called stretch marks may form.

Stretch marks closely resemble scars. In fact, stretch marks are the most common types of skin lesions. About 90% of pregnant women get stretch marks. They also affect 70% of adolescent females and about 40% of young males. In medical terminology, stretch marks are called striate. Mature stretch marks are devoid of color, and newer stretch marks are often red or purplish in color. Stretch marks develop when the skin is excessively stretched, damaging the collagen fibers and proteins in the underlying skin layer called the dermis. Scientists believe that shattering of collagen leads to dilation of small blood vessels (called capillaries) that results in red or purple-colored early stretch marks. Inflammation and collagen remodeling may lead to the loss of pigment-producing, melanocyte cells or obscuring of melanin pigment. Over time, this lack of pigment results in the white or hypo scars that most people associate with mature stretch marks. Stretch marks are a form of leukoderma.

Growth spurts and sudden or excessive weight gain cause stretch marks to form in young people. Young women commonly get them on their breasts, thighs, hips and buttocks. Young men often develop stretch marks from participating in certain body-altering sports such as weightlifting or from the use of dangerous bodybuilding steroid drugs. Women commonly develop stretch marks on their lower abdomen in the last months of pregnancy.

There is nothing that can prevent the formation of stretch marks — especially during pregnancy or during a growth spurt. Creams and lotions may ease the itchy sensation associated with stretch marks, but they won't keep them from forming. The science behind what actually causes striate distensile (stretch marks) to develop is still a bit hazy with a lot of the research being contradictory. It has been suggested that the term stretch mark is a bit of a misnomer and that stretch marks are not caused by the stretching of the skin but by an increase of a hormone called glucocorticoids. During adolescence, pregnancy, with obesity, weight lifting and Cushing’s disease there is an increased level of this hormone circulating through the blood stream.

The glucocorticoids affect the dermis (the middle layer of the skin) by preventing the formation of collagen and elastic fibers that are needed to keep skin firm. Once this happens there is a lack of supportive material as the skin is stretched and small tears can appear in the dermis. During this process the epidermis is also affected as it becomes thinner and flatter which makes the defects in the dermis more visible. The actual stretching of the skin may determine where the marks will emerge and also what direction they will run in.

I'm glad you posted this Al!

Now we can discuss what remedies (if any) are affordable and effective. (or at least effective)

A Chinese lady runs a laser hair removal salon near me & she advertises laser treatment for almost every ailment know to man. Stretchmarks was on the list.

Snake oil, or real treatment option?

I almost forgot: I've read that Avavar can increase collagen production by 33%, in fact the study I read showed rats with abraded backs healing up 1/3 faster than abraded rats without anavar, so it's definately a skin building AAS.

Any guesses as to whether anavar might help heal over old stretch marks?

Maybe anavar with laser therapy & mega dosed vitamin E???

Alfresco

Very good post and as always informative, thanks.

Young men often develop stretch marks from participating in certain body-altering sports such as weightlifting or from the use of dangerous bodybuilding steroid drugs.

WHY IS THE WORD DANGEROUS IN THERE?

in an UNBIASED report, there is no need for such things, present information and evidence and keep opinons aside.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Stromba926
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws