advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

WHAT ARE SYMPTOMS OF ALCOHOL WITHDRAWAL?

I have been drinking for probably close to 6 years , mostly on my days off when I worked the night shift for 5 years , but since going to a different shift where I get home earlier for a little over a year now it has been up to 4-5 times a week , mostly beer, bourbon and scotch whisky , mixes drinks . I have been using xanax for a sleep disorder that I believed was caused from working overnight for close to 6 years and have tried quiting twice with no luck because I'm told you need to slowly weed yourself off drugs like this , and my doctor has expressed no concern on why I should when he told me he has people using up to 8 tabs a day and feels xanax is the king of sleep aids . My sudden concern with the possible alcohol problem is a couple nights ago I was not able to sleep after taking 4 xanax and it had been 5 days since drinking any alcohol so I wonder is this a sign of withdrawal from alcohol since insomnia has been listed as a sign when doing a yahoo research . What is kind of odd is if I drink as little as 2 shots of whiskey like last night after taking the xanax I sleep fine when normally a drinking night for me can be several beers and almost half a bottle of whiskey and other drinks .

Have you been shaking, like tremors or hallucinating aka DT's. You should go to your doc and get your vital signs taken. Severe withdrawls can include seizures too. I've heard, never seen, from fellow nurses of Pt's dying on them for not getting the proper Tx for alcohol withdrawls. We used to give Librium (a benzo like xanax but longer acting) and Robaxin a muscle relaxer as protocol for it.

Have you been shaking, like tremors or hallucinating aka DT's. You should go to your doc and get your vital signs taken. Severe withdrawls can include seizures too. I've heard, never seen, from fellow nurses of Pt's dying on them for not getting the proper Tx for alcohol withdrawls. We used to give Librium (a benzo like xanax but longer acting) and Robaxin a muscle relaxer as protocol for it.

No, none of the symptoms you mentioned , only sleeplessness ... I go to see both my doctors ( my primary care Physician , and the other , a Psychiatrist at the Veteran Assistance Clinic this Thursday ... a lot of people I work with feel the VA is not a good place to seek medical treatment ... were you a nurse or someone who worked in the Medical profession?

were you a nurse or someone who worked in the Medical profession?
Yes.
After 5-7 days etoh withdrawal symptoms are usually resolved. As far as your insomnia that could be caused by other factors. Stress, Built up a tolerance to benzo, etc. A complete medical work up should be done. Your Psych doc should know you must wean yourself off benzo's. Plus, the king of sleep aids? I don't think so. Although it gives the quickest feeling of relief. Xanax is the shortest acting benzo.

When I was smoking pot and drinking, my two worst withdrawal symptoms were insomnia and anger. I would say that based on the drugs and alcohol use you described, you are not only physically addicted to alcohol but also xanax. I have been sober for 26 months and it has been the best 26 months of my life, good luck!

A professor told me once that alcohol and benzo's cause the most dangerous withdrawals, even worse than heroin because more people die of alcohol and benzo withdrawal. In my experience xanax is the most addictive drug around, that may be your problem.

sleeplessness

I have the same thing and have been greatly considering drying up .
I like the buzz , but it appears that it has also taking away my stamina and drive.
I can sit and drink a 12 pack of Heineken's in 4 hours and only get a light buzz.
I shake a little salt into every bottle.
I'm sitting here home today and not at work cause I only got a couple hours sleep last night .

What we need to do is just quit for a while to see if all this clears up.
A Doc is not the answer
The answers always are within when it comes to additiction .

Last edited:
I have the same thing and have been greatly considering drying up .
I like the buzz , but it appears that it has also taking away my stamina and drive.
I can sit and drink a 12 pack of Heineken's in 4 hours and only get a light buzz.
I shake a little salt into every bottle.
I'm sitting here home today and not at work cause I only got a couple hours sleep last night .

What we need to do is just quit for a while to see if all this clears up.
A Doc is not the answer
The answers always are within when it comes to additiction .

I saw my doctor today and he gave me librium in place of the xanax to use with trazodone for sleep and feels its possible from what I told him I may be feeling what was described as mild alcohol addiction since I told him I don't take the xanax with alcohol like some idiots do either in public or at home just get a stupid high , but after drinking for a few hours at home I take the xanax afterward to go to sleep that my doctor told me can slow or stop my breathing , and if I consider a treatment clinic the state pays for it and I probably have to take a leave of absence from work . I feel that like yourself, I enjoy the high the alcohol gives me especially when listening to music on my mp3 because it feels like a stress relief of some kind especially the bullshit job that I have that I'm getting sick of and the neck spasms , tight , sore lower back from heavy lifting and injuries , tennis elbow ... you name it , I'm starting to feel it ...

I can say that going clean and sober will change your life for the better, like giving you a life you never imagined. I'm over 7 mths sober, and it's amazing how you will undergo a positive transformation that will bring back joy and happiness. When my wife asked me for a divorce (after 19 yrs of marriage) i knew i had to get sober, and tried for several years, but until i got in AA it never worked. AA is a incredible org and i can't say enough god about them.

It's not easy but worth it Bro, pm me if you'd like, would like to help if you're so inclined:)

But if you are a Georgia Bulldog today is the day to start drinking !
Chomp ....

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinFinch
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner