advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What's your other big hobby or interest?

Alfresco:

Arrowheads. The bane of my youth. I grew up on a creek just down from a fresh water spring that served as an Cherokee settlement at one time prior to the Trail of Tears. Cherokee from this area fought against the Creek Indians during the war of 1812 prior to that I believe. The area then was an active Civil War battlefield. During the summers the worse sound in the world was my mother crying out in the morning "We are going to hunt arrowheads". This seemed to always seemed to be middle of July and 95 degrees, but I know many days were in the Spring because we would do freshly plowed fields. Just in our own back yard we got hundreds when we tilled up for a garden. Also dolls made of clay. We found pieces used for drills etc. My mother made displays and loaned one to the local museum as well as to a restored antebellum mansion. They have since been retrieved, not without some difficulty. We also had various artifacts from the Civil War.

Before my mother passed my sister made a relief display for each of my siblings of ones we had found fifty years earlier. I certainly appreciate them now, but as a youth I hated the search as it kept me from swimming, baseball, biking, etc.

We literally had five gallon buckets of none perfect ones. Multiple buckets. My father gave many away

As adult hobbies, I have alternated between Trout Fishing, Bass Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Squash, Reading, and Traveling. Squash is to be no more after one hip replacement and one upcoming.

PWood
As a boy in the 70s I really loved Indians. When we played cowboys and Indians I was always the Indian chief! A relative of ours had a decent collection and he would take me out hunting for them and fossils. We found some good stuff. One really cool thing about the property his house was on, hidden under a bush in the front yard was a big meteorite. It looked to be almost 1/2 of a big iron sphere. It was rock but had a lot of iron in it I think because it was rust colored. Im not sure how deep in the ground it went, but I think he said that it crashed right there and he hadnt tried to move it. It must have been really heaavy.He did not want anyone to know that it was there.

Alfresco:

Arrowheads. The bane of my youth. I grew up on a creek just down from a fresh water spring that served as an Cherokee settlement at one time prior to the Trail of Tears. Cherokee from this area fought against the Creek Indians during the war of 1812 prior to that I believe. The area then was an active Civil War battlefield. During the summers the worse sound in the world was my mother crying out in the morning "We are going to hunt arrowheads". This seemed to always seemed to be middle of July and 95 degrees, but I know many days were in the Spring because we would do freshly plowed fields. Just in our own back yard we got hundreds when we tilled up for a garden. Also dolls made of clay. We found pieces used for drills etc. My mother made displays and loaned one to the local museum as well as to a restored antebellum mansion. They have since been retrieved, not without some difficulty. We also had various artifacts from the Civil War.

Before my mother passed my sister made a relief display for each of my siblings of ones we had found fifty years earlier. I certainly appreciate them now, but as a youth I hated the search as it kept me from swimming, baseball, biking, etc.

We literally had five gallon buckets of none perfect ones. Multiple buckets. My father gave many away

As adult hobbies, I have alternated between Trout Fishing, Bass Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Squash, Reading, and Traveling. Squash is to be no more after one hip replacement and one upcoming.

PWood

Hey PW,

You write really well.

I am envious of your youth, spent in such a special place. Wow. Just wow.

I never had buckets of them, but I did have a lot. Gave some really nice ones, perfect,
away to a dear friend when I was in high school. No regrets.

I still have some good ones, special. They are in old Copenhagen cans, the others, the
really good ones, wrapped in bubble wrap.

We should post up some fotos of what we collected and still have.

Are you game?

Becoming financially independent/successful.
Might be an odd response for a hobby, but it has become fun.

Same here! I've always enjoyed different businesses (Cigar and Wine shops) and real estate. Now just into real estate investing past few years. Love it!

Also into Watches and WW2 Antiques.

I collected autos over the years, as well! Mostly older baseball players; especially Ted Williams, Joe Dimaggio and Mickey Mantle. My dad was friends with two MLB players (built their homes or additions to their homes) growing up, and one collected autographs, as well. We were over at his house and I was a kid admiring his collection when he said, "just pick something, you can have it" I pointed out a ball signed by Ted Williams. He laughed and said, "except for that!", he'd met him and had the baseball signed in person. A few days later, a package arrived at our house for me. It was the baseball signed by Ted Williams.

Cool stories. I met Joe DiMaggio and got his auto when I was a kid. Same with Mickey Mantle. I was a huge yankee fan when I was growing up. I also met Reggie Jackson when I was a kid and he gave me his baseball hat. :) Thats some of my most oldest possessions. Currently just been collecting and getting auto baseballs. They are easy to store and display and dont take up a lot of space. In the process of getting Mike Trout auto ball right now, but wont have that till late December.. I have so much stuff I could fill up my entire house. I have one room on display right now and working on the second one. Maybe Ill post up a pic when finished.

Cool stories. I met Joe DiMaggio and got his auto when I was a kid. Same with Mickey Mantle. I was a huge yankee fan when I was growing up. I also met Reggie Jackson when I was a kid and he gave me his baseball hat. :) Thats some of my most oldest possessions. Currently just been collecting and getting auto baseballs. They are easy to store and display and dont take up a lot of space. In the process of getting Mike Trout auto ball right now, but wont have that till late December.. I have so much stuff I could fill up my entire house. I have one room on display right now and working on the second one. Maybe Ill post up a pic when finished.
Do you get those authenticated? I think most collectibles, especially ones with autograph, can have that done. I'm curious how that works and how much you have to spend to get it done. Don't most items sell for more once that has been done?

Do you get those authenticated? I think most collectibles, especially ones with autograph, can have that done. I'm curious how that works and how much you have to spend to get it done. Don't most items sell for more once that has been done?

Yes, everything I own is authenticated. All the autos I get now, majority are In person, or they have to come from a reputable dealer like Steiner, Upper Deck, etc. I just sent 10 baseballs to be authenticated and incapsulated to preserve the signatures. (Ortiz, Griffey Jr, Pujols, to name a few)

Yes, everything I own is authenticated. All the autos I get now, majority are In person, or they have to come from a reputable dealer like Steiner, Upper Deck, etc. I just sent 10 baseballs to be authenticated and incapsulated to preserve the signatures. (Ortiz, Griffey Jr, Pujols, to name a few)
So once you have one autographed in person with the player ,you take that and send it to an authenticator? I bet you get your picture taken with the player too, holding the signed ball? That would be really cool, and would probably increase the value?

My wife is a banker and we had free tickets to see a game and go down on the field and watch batting practice before the game. Guess that is what you call it? Im not a huge baseball guy. It was nice though because some of the balls hit were then signed by the star player and then handed out to the kids. Thats the only one we have.

So once you have one autographed in person with the player ,you take that and send it to an authenticator? I bet you get your picture taken with the player too, holding the signed ball? That would be really cool, and would probably increase the value?

My wife is a banker and we had free tickets to see a game and go down on the field and watch batting practice before the game. Guess that is what you call it? Im not a huge baseball guy. It was nice though because some of the balls hit were then signed by the star player and then handed out to the kids. Thats the only one we have.

Well sometimes I get pics, if its allowed. Most of the time athletes charge for their pics. I don't do lean in pics, but I will take a pic of them signing my item, and most of the time authenticators are on site, or hired by the show they are at and charge a fee to authenticate and then to encapsulate.
It doesn't necessarily increase the value, but you can get the autos' graded and that will increase the value if you get a 9 or 10 on the auto grade.
Athletes tend to get sloppy with their sigs especially if your like the last in line and they already signed 1000 items.

Hard to get autos at games, most of the times kids have the best chances. Just from my observations..

It's the best idea to get ANYTHING authenticated now, or buy only authenticated, even though there are issues with that, as well. Professional grading and authentication is the name of the game now.

I am impressed. You met some of the greats and you are a serious collector.

Please please have them insured and safe and secure from fire and theft.

FYI . . . I think there was a episode in Breaking Bad (great shoe BTW) having to do
with a baseball card collection. Maybe I am misremembering the show but it was good.

My wife and I collect early Northern California Art. Our house looks like a museum.
Keith, Deakin, Grace Hudson, Thaddeus Welch, Wendt, Guy Rose, Percy Gray,
Will Sparks (one of faves) etc. We are insured to the hilt and have a security system.

I hope you do the same. Sounds like you have small fortune in your collection.

I am impressed. You met some of the greats and you are a serious collector.

Please please have them insured and safe and secure from fire and theft.

FYI . . . I think there was a episode in Breaking Bad (great shoe BTW) having to do
with a baseball card collection. Maybe I am misremembering the show but it was good.

My wife and I collect early Northern California Art. Our house looks like a museum.
Keith, Deakin, Grace Hudson, Thaddeus Welch, Wendt, Guy Rose, Percy Gray,
Will Sparks (one of faves) etc. We are insured to the hilt and have a security system.

I hope you do the same. Sounds like you have small fortune in your collection.

Thank you. Ive been collecting since I was a kid. I don't want to say exactly what my collection is worth, but its in the six figures. Its 100% insured, and of course house has security system, but I would be devastated if I lost anything. Some stuff is irreplaceable, especially things I got almost 40 years ago. And some stuff I have, like Michael Jordan memorabilia, he doesn't sign anymore. Im hoping for one last autograph session with upper deck so I can get another pair of shoes signed (Air Jordan 1s)
I know this is out of my norm with what I have been collecting, but I have Johnny Cash's harmonica. He gave it to me at one of his concerts when I was a kid. I didnt think anything of it at the time, but now..WOW! Ive been meaning to see what its worth, but I dont think I would sell it.

Art is a cool hobby, but sounds very expensive too. Im sure you have some very nice pieces on display.. Its kinda cool setting your house up like a museum. Im hoping to finish one of my rooms very soon. Im having a designer help me so I can display my stuff better, with some nice glass, wood shelves, etc.

(y)

They don't call you Kid Dynamite for nothing ;)

You are very fortunate. Glad you have all your bases covered.

Thank you. Ive been collecting since I was a kid. I don't want to say exactly what my collection is worth, but its in the six figures. Its 100% insured, and of course house has security system, but I would be devastated if I lost anything. Some stuff is irreplaceable, especially things I got almost 40 years ago. And some stuff I have, like Michael Jordan memorabilia, he doesn't sign anymore. Im hoping for one last autograph session with upper deck so I can get another pair of shoes signed (Air Jordan 1s)
I know this is out of my norm with what I have been collecting, but I have Johnny Cash's harmonica. He gave it to me at one of his concerts when I was a kid. I didnt think anything of it at the time, but now..WOW! Ive been meaning to see what its worth, but I dont think I would sell it.

Art is a cool hobby, but sounds very expensive too. Im sure you have some very nice pieces on display.. Its kinda cool setting your house up like a museum. Im hoping to finish one of my rooms very soon. Im having a designer help me so I can display my stuff better, with some nice glass, wood shelves, etc.
Wow, that harmonica! I think the value of items like that goes up once the artist/ athlete passes away. Id love to own that. Johnny Cash was incredible!Congrats on getting to meet him. How is it that he can to give you the instrument?

Wow, that harmonica! I think the value of items like that goes up once the artist/ athlete passes away. Id love to own that. Johnny Cash was incredible!Congrats on getting to meet him. How is it that he can to give you the instrument?

Yeah, I really dont know how much its worth. I need to find someone to authenticate and appraise it. All I remember, my family and I were sitting in front row of one of his concerts when I was a kid, he finished up one of his songs(it might have been an encore), and he kneeled down and gave it to me. I think I was like 8 or 9 years old.

Yeah, I really dont know how much its worth. I need to find someone to authenticate and appraise it. All I remember, my family and I were sitting in front row of one of his concerts when I was a kid, he finished up one of his songs(it might have been an encore), and he kneeled down and gave it to me. I think I was like 8 or 9 years old.
I wasn't in to him a lot when I was young in the 70s, but as I have gotten older I have appreciated his talent a lot more. My father was a huge fan. He saw him in just one concert and filmed him briefly on his super 8 camera!

My mother saw Elvis in concert in her small town, while in high school in the 50s. Sadly, she didn't get to meet him when he went to the country club for dinner.

Just finished restoring this pan. It's a Wagner Ware skillet, cast sometime between 1895 and 1915. A unique piece of American history.
PXL_20201012_003604957.MP_copy_453x604.jpg

Hey PW,

You write really well.

I am envious of your youth, spent in such a special place. Wow. Just wow.

I never had buckets of them, but I did have a lot. Gave some really nice ones, perfect,
away to a dear friend when I was in high school. No regrets.

I still have some good ones, special. They are in old Copenhagen cans, the others, the
really good ones, wrapped in bubble wrap.

We should post up some fotos of what we collected and still have.

Are you game?

Absolutely. I will get a picture of the ones in the shadowbox this evening. When I visit my sister this month I will get picts of one of the displays. My sister told me she also found a few more boxes last week in an old trunk we had. Also found a letter from my father to the father of a friend in February 1945 just after my father was in the Battle of the Bulge I believe. It seems there was a special stationary you had to write on and then get the letter cleared to send. They then shrunk it and put it in a small envelope and sent it on its way. It is amazing to realize I am holding what he wrote as a 19 year old in that horrific setting in my hands.

PWood

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner