advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Working Out With the Wife- My Experience...

myosin

Kilo Klub Member
In the "pics" section, I gave a blurb that I started working out with my wife. I'd like to share a little of my experience...

Preface: Like MANY of the other guys here, I NEVER work out with anyone. I never had a consistent training partner. There were times before I might share a squat rack with a buddy and push each other or some other exercise on occasion, but it wasn't often and certainly not a regular thing. Now-a-days, like many here, I pretty much go to the gym, do my thing, and get out.

My Wife has really struggled to lose the weight since our kids and it's very depressing for her. She's 5 foot and BEFORE weighed 105#. She'd kill me if I said how much she weighs now :). I've given her diets and training routines which she would follow for a while, make some decent improvements, but for some reason or another, would fall back to the usual and put the weight back on. This then would only further make her feel bad about herself.

Originally, I decided I would work-out in the morning by myself, then train my wife. I was always concerned with just how intense (or lack thereof) her training was. Based on our conversations I was always wondering if she was really pushing herself on the weights and relying too much on cardio to lose weight. She liked the cardio b/c she said she could see results faster and gave the "usual" thoughts about women and weight's (fear of getting too muscular, etc.). I explained the whole more muscle higher metabolism mantra but nonetheless, still afraid.

Present: For some reason, I decided that we would start working out together. My routine is somewhat low volume so I wasn't too worried about her overtraining. She does the same exercises. I do my set, then she does hers. I bring our training log and keep track of our weights, set and reps.

Results:
Her- She now knows what "intensity" is when it comes to weight training. She realizes she wasn't working all that hard on her own. It's really increasing her "self-concept." Although she hasn't dropped all the weight yet (she has a bit to go, but clothes are fitting more loose) she feels better about herself now than when she was working out on her own b/c she knows she's working harder, doing the right things, etc. She get's the whole "to lose weight, you need to lift weight" mentality now.

Me- I've gained a whole new respect for her. When I see her really push herself, even give out a few grunts on the last few reps... it really impresses me. My wife is the "strongest" woman I know for various reasons that I may share some other time, but I get to see a whole new "tough" side to her... and it turns me on! hahahaha It does increase my admiration of her. It's actually pretty cool watching her help me load the 45's on, especially the squat rack- I'm 6'1 so the pins are pretty high for her but she does a great job hoisting them up and down from the bar... she says it's part of her workout :)

Us- My Wife is really enjoying the working out together and she feel's closer to me as a result. It's something we are "owning" as a couple more and gives us one more thing shared we can enjoy together. We like talking about what time we're going to workout the next day, what we'll do, etc.

I was concerned it was going to add all this time to my workout as I like to get in and get out... it only added 5-10 minutes tops... and added a little "extra" to our marriage :)

Last edited:
Just make sure she is doing plenty of cardio. the weights alone will not take off the weight.you definitely need both.

For Sure...

Just make sure she is doing plenty of cardio. the weights alone will not take off the weight.you definitely need both.

Yeah, thanks MM- she still does the cardio, but now her emphasis has changed from one to the other.

nice post myosin. I can totally relate. the wife and I started to train together about 13 years ago. It has definately added something (much) to our marriage. >>> marital fitness:eek:
She is a true vet of the iron now. We spent a few years beating the hell of of our log books, and for sure I never have to worry about her level of intensity. I still catch her throwing down a rest-pause set from time to time. she does herself proud everytime she walks in the gym.

What an awesome post to read Myosin. :)

Me & my wife's story is very similair to you & yours. She is my best friend. I have also gained a lot of respect for my wife through weight training. She is the most confident she has ever been in her entire life. And it's making her more succesful in every other aspect of her life. I'm very proud to call her my wife.

That's Great...

Me & my wife's story is very similair to you & yours. She is my best friend. I have also gained a lot of respect for my wife through weight training. She is the most confident she has ever been in her entire life. And it's making her more succesful in every other aspect of her life. I'm very proud to call her my wife.

That's great, eroc!

Thats awesome I wish I could say the same :( My wife just needs a little toning,well she thinks, I think she looks great,but she hates using weights lol and I tell her theres no other way cardio is just making it worse as you are losing muscle!

really great post.....my story with my wife is alot like this.....i do not workout with my wife now....but i still train her .......being active in the gym definitely has brought us closer......

I think it is great for the marriage.. My wife and I train together as often as possible.Then a little cardio at home afterwards..wink wink...

Thats awesome I wish I could say the same :( My wife just needs a little toning,well she thinks, I think she looks great,but she hates using weights lol and I tell her theres no other way cardio is just making it worse as you are losing muscle!
Without the weights your skinny and flabby with no cardio your just bulky and thick. both are a must if your chubby to start with.

Great story! I'm happy to hear you're both enjoying training together. I've heard several guys say they can't train with their wife because they end of fighting and arguing. I'm glad it's working out for you. Keep us updated on her progress! :) My bf is my favorite training partner too. :D

thats great man!!!:)

Great story! I'm happy to hear you're both enjoying training together. I've heard several guys say they can't train with their wife because they end of fighting and arguing. I'm glad it's working out for you. Keep us updated on her progress! :) My bf is my favorite training partner too. :D

Im one of those guys. We end up fighting and it just doesnt work. I wish I could have this experience with my wife. Im jealous!

That's awesome, congrats man.

I have tried going with my wife and it does not work well for either of us sadly. She's doing cardio like 3 days a week right now, no bueno :(

I was worried...

Yeah, I was a little worried at first if we were going to fight or not. I completely remodeled our kitchen all by myself with my wife trying to help occasionally and believe me, voices got raised a few times! Um, mostly b/c of me though :( haha

But, it's really been good giving me patience trying to teach my wife how to squat, do declines, etc. She says, "Honey, I like how you are teaching me, you're so sweet!" hahaha

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131