advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Should Bodybuilders Train When They're Sick?

Alliance Raws

Registered
Nothing can bring a bodybuilder's progress to a halt more than when you are sick.I’ve heard so many people getting sick these days since it’s flu season again. Some people may want to ask, should I continue performing my bodybuilding training routines while I am sick? I am sharing the article below and hoping that it will help you guys know something.

The answer to that question really depends on what you mean by sick. Is it a cold? The flu? Allergies? Most people confuse the common cold for the flu. However, these are different types of illnesses. The flu is caused by viruses known as Influenza A or Influenza B, while the common cold is caused by viruses called coronaviruses and rhinoviruses. There are over 200 different types of coronaviruses and rhinoviruses. If one of them hits you, your immune system builds a lifelong immunity to it (therefore, the same virus will never hit you twice). However, you have the rest of the viruses that have not yet affected you to worry about; and there are enough to last a lifetime.

The flu, as you may have already found out by experience, is much more severe as it is usually accompanied by an array of body aches and fever.

Therefore, your body’s immune system is taxed much more by the flu than by the common cold. At this time, bodybuilding training would not only be detrimental to muscle growth, but it would also to your health as well. Remember that while training can help us gain muscle, lose fat, feel good and energetic, it is still a catabolic activity. The body needs to be in good health in order to go from the catabolic state caused by the exercise to an anabolic state of recuperation and muscle growth. So if you have the flu, your body is already fighting a catabolic state caused by the Influenza virus. In this case, weight training would only add more catabolism, which in turn would negatively affect the efficacy of the immune system against the virus, causing you to get sicker. Therefore, absolutely no training if you have the flu. Instead, concentrate on very good nutrition and on drinking large amounts of fluids (water and electrolyte replacement drinks like Gatorade in order to prevent dehydration).

Once the flu completely runs its course, you can slowly start up back on your weight training program with lighter weights. Don’t push yourself too hard during this first week. The next week you’ll repeat what you did on the previous week again, but pushing yourself closer to muscular failure. By the third week of your program, you should be back on track.

If it is the common cold that is hitting you and the particular virus is mild (you know that it is mild when your symptoms are just a runny nose and slight coughing), you may get away with training as long as you stop the sets short of reaching muscular failure and you decrease the weights poundages by 25 percent (divide the weights that you usually use by 4 and that will give you the amount of weight that you need to take off the bar) in order to prevent you from pushing too hard. Again, if the cold virus is causing you to feel run down, achy, with a sore throat and headaches, it would be best to stop training altogether, until the symptoms subside.

If this is the case, just follow the exercise program start-up recommendations described above for after the flu. Remember that we do not want to make it any harder for the immune system to fight the virus by introducing more catabolic activity, so intense training is out during that time.

If your ailment is something other than the common cold or the flu, consult your doctor.

Now that we have seen how the flu or a cold can throw a wrench into your progress, let's see how we can prevent these buggers from affecting us during the flu season or during any other season for that matter.

While it is still unknown why the cold and flu season generally comes during the winter months, it is known that you have to let the virus into your system in order for it to affect you. Therefore, it is only logical that we implement a two-fold prevention approach:

Prevent the virus from infiltrating your system. Keeping in mind that cold viruses spread by human contact, that they get into your system through the mouth, eyes and nose, and that they can remain active for up to three hours, you can accomplish this by doing the following:
Keep your hands away from your face;
Wash your hands with anti bacterial soap frequently throughout the day (especially as soon as you finish your workout at the gym);
Maintain immune system operation at peak efficiency levels at all times. Remembering that excessive exercise, a bad diet, and losing sleep are all catabolic activities, do the following:
Avoid overtraining ;
Maintain a balanced and avoid processed foods that contain high levels of saturated fats, refined flours or sugar since these types of foods lower the immune system function;
Get a healthy dose of sleep a day (anywhere from 7 to 9 hours depending on your individual requirements).

So guys,please remember,stay healthy by following the tips above, and if you get sick, rest until you get better! If you don't you will end up more seriously ill and this will take you out of the gym for a longer period of time.

Will you still go to the gym when you are sick after reading this article?

Truthfully when I'm on a decent cycle and supplements I don't ever "feel" sick. I have noticed symptoms of being sick but I think I just don't notice or let it effect me.
I have started to be more mindful of it recently, I lift very intense and heavy most of the time and when I notice symptoms I try to back down a little , don't want to do more harm then good.
Like Seth feroce says alot , I can run on sheer determination , willpower and fuck yous everyday but at some point I will be doing more damage then good.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Not unless you have a private gym! Stay the fuck home with your germs! You have no right to get others sick! That cold may actually be a flu you have antibodies for! The flu kills people! Jesus christ I can't believe people have no consideration of others and would workout in a public gym while sick...

Study: They exposed 21 people to a flu virus (airborne delivery), 100% of them had a high concentration of the virus in their bloodstream, 50% of them got full blown flu symptoms, 25% of them had mild cold-like symptoms only, 25% of them had no symptoms of being sick.

You have no idea what you have when you get sick unless you get tested.

Something I've read in a medical journal states your immune system temporarily goes down when you work out. This is why many of us get sick after the gym.
Our immune system is down, and therefore we can get sicker easier.
So as far as already being sick, you can make yourself feel much worse, and it will take longer to get better.

Just what I've read ml

Maybe that's a reason why to supplement with L-glutamine. If anything, it does help our immune systems.

Something I've read in a medical journal states your immune system temporarily goes down when you work out. This is why many of us get sick after the gym.
So as far as already being sick, you can make yourself feel much worse, and it will take longer to get better.

Just what I've read ml

Definitely a hard blow to the immune system. Once in college I was feeling a bit tired but hit legs really hard anyhow. By the time I got home, had to ride a bicycle, I started feeling ill. About 3 hours later I had a 101 degree fever. I think it was the flu. I was very sick for about 4 days. I don't think it was just a coincidence that I got that sick right after lifting hard.

I think I probably would have gotten sick anyhow, but it probably would have been a day later and maybe not so bad. It was just about the worse case of the flu I have ever had.

Not unless you have a private gym! Stay the fuck home with your germs! You have no right to get others sick! That cold may actually be a flu you have antibodies for! The flu kills people! Jesus christ I can't believe people have no consideration of others and would workout in a public gym while sick...

Agreed, and along the same line I hate when people don't wipe down machines or benches with the disinfectant spray. At any time, but especially if they decide to show up sick. I take the bottle with me and spray it thoroughly before scrubbing it clean. And I even put my own towel down as well when I'm using it. I see tons of fat, hairy assholes in sleeveless shirts coughing on bars, dumbbells, and cables. Leaving their sweat all over stuff. Gross.

I've always wondered if people who workout is gyms exposed to other peoples "whatever" are somehow building their immune systems while at the same time building their bodys?

Personally when I'm sick I pretty much quarantine myself at home in the spare room. I got kids at home, don't want to get them sick and then play musical chairs with the virus.

People who are physically ill, sneezing, coughing at the gym piss me the fuck off!

I woke up today, sore throat and congested, felt like hammered cat shit, I did not go, and dont think I will make it at all this week, just stay home when you are sick. it can only benefit you and others

Just what I've read ml
That's true

I think if your sick you should back off your training and focus on recovery. I always tell my clients to avoid the gym if sick but try to adhere to your diet if at all possible.

Really difficult, if you're sick the appetite will go out the window, so for someone accustomed to a lot of food and protein, he could not follow the diet and drop a will few pounds. Fortunately, that weight recovers quickly.

If it's a light cold, a light-moderate intensity workout can actually be helpful at fighting it. But like others have said, you're a douche if you get other people sick.

Agreed, and along the same line I hate when people don't wipe down machines or benches with the disinfectant spray. At any time, but especially if they decide to show up sick. I take the bottle with me and spray it thoroughly before scrubbing it clean. And I even put my own towel down as well when I'm using it. I see tons of fat, hairy assholes in sleeveless shirts coughing on bars, dumbbells, and cables. Leaving their sweat all over stuff. Gross.

Staph infection outbreaks happen at gyms all the time, usually several people get a skin infection and the gym/club has to completely shut down.

I have had good workouts and felt better when I have worked out with a cold. The flu with projectile diarrhea every 45 min....not so much.

Staph infection outbreaks happen at gyms all the time, usually several people get a skin infection and the gym/club has to completely shut down.
Guys who wear hardly any clothes to the gym account for this. For this reason I go to gym covered completely.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

As stated before going to the gym if you are sick is extremely selfish and irresponsible. For those of you that have home gyms that doesn’t apply, but still why workout when your sick? You already have a damaged immune system, why make it harder to recover? It certainly won’t speed it up

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws