over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Honestly, there is a secret to growth

" Interestingly, maximal CON contractions did not increase activity of p70S6k, which may be the reason many researchers have reported that performing CON contractions without an ECC contraction does not yield increases in muscle mass."

Makes sense from a survival standpoint. Will you die if you can't jump, no, will you die if you can't stand, hold your head up ect YES.

Basically resisting gravity is the key requirement of muscles, working explosively against gravity is not.

It just happens that explosive lifting allows us to maxmize the negative as much as possible without highly complex machines or a training assistant.

Is there a machine that can progressively load the negative while assisting on the positive?

I dunno... This guy seems to be pretty smart ;)

**broken link removed**

Read it. Most of the artcile has zero relevance to what I am saying. At one point he states the following:

"...attempting to apply research suggesting that maximal isokinetic eccentric training at faster speeds (41) promotes greater muscle growth to a free weight training scenario lacks external validity from a scientific standpoint."

Aftert this statement, or anywhere else in the article for that matter, he provides zero explanation as to why this statement might be true...other than it lacks validity from from a scientific standpoint.

However, that's not true, as I have explained in my post. I provided an explanation as to "how" faster negatives result in greater muscle stress and potentially greater growth.

I would be interested to know when he wrote this artcle, as recent experiments involving negative resistance at varrying velocities have INDEED confirmed the fact that performing negatives at a faster velocity results in more muscle damage, generating a potentially greater growth response.

Now, I am no scientist, and although I believe you are correct when you say this man is intelligent, there are also several other intelligent men who disagree with him based on recent studies demonstrating what I've explained above and in the previous post. I am not sure who this man is, but the men I am referring to have their doctorates/PH's, have been heavily invested in exercise science AND research (not just its interpretation), are very well known and respected, have been a part of this community for years, and get paid good money to do what they do.

My opinion regarding the superiority of rapid negatives for stimulating growth was not reached by this recent reserach--it was confirmed by it. Prior to this research coming to light, I wrote a short artcile last year saying basically the same thing--applying the same common sense principles of accelerated velocity to explain why fast negatives supply added stress to the muscle--not less, and therefore are capable of stimulating greater growth. I had already made up my mind regarding the inferiority of slow negatives based on what I considred to be a rational explanation and anecdotal evidence.

Now, this is not to say that slow negatives cannot be effective for stimulating growth. Sure they can. Any additional stress placed on the muscle, which is not normlly encountered during a set, has the potential to stimulate extra growth. This includes isometric holds, forced reps, drop-sets, rest-pause, etc...anything, really. However, just because slow negatives might work, it does not mean they work better than fast ones.

My opinion stands based on the studies I have seen, the explanations I have recieved, and the highly knowledgable men who feel likewise. Still, there is one thing that no one cannot dispute, at least not with any credibility, and that is that doing slow negatives has never--not even in the tiniest way, ever appeared to be necessary for growing to monster size. In fact, as I stated in the prior post, there are significantly more large men who train with fast negatioves than the other way around. With that said, one must wonder why we aren't seeing a bunch of freak who claim that 5 second negatives gave them the best results. This reason for this is, quite frankly, because they DON'T.

Of course, there are many other factors related to the training experience which play a role in muscle growth, but all oher factors being equal, a man who performs his reps in an explosive, non-stop fashion will get results faster than the man who does 5 second negatives. I have experienced it in my own life and witnessed it a hundred times over. The slower one peforms the negative portion of their rep during their set, the more it sucks and the slower they will grow. Try oi for yourself and se. Do all your reps explosively and nons-top, with absolutely no slowing down inbetween reps until you hit failure....then give the oppsite technique a try, with every rep getting a 5 second negative and 2 second positive and tell me what you experience. I am beyond certain you will make the decision to abandaon the later and never return.

Ohh, one more point to make. In the artcile you linked, the author claimed that fast negatives would allow for slack in muscle tension, but in reality, it is the exact opposite. He claimed that pulling the bar down to generate momentum (for a faster negative) would reduce tension..and it would when done like that, but who in the hell "pulls down" a heavy barbell when doing the negatuve portion of the ep? No one I know. I am pretty sure the weight will lower plenty fast enough with gravity alone. Besides, we're not trying to kill or injure ourselves here. If anything, using the 5 second negative and 2 second positive tempo would result in not only more likely breaks in muscle tension, but a decreased tension level due to the slower velocities on both portions of the rep. By training in non-stop, explosive fashion until failure, the muscle NEVER gets even a moment to rest, but is continually hammered with both continuous and maximal levels of tension...and like I said before, the muscle accomplishes more work in a shorter period of time, which has a psituve impact on growth. This been known for decades. In the end, the ability to maintain continuous tension isn't really dependent on rep speed anyway, so I think this is a bit irrelevant.

In conclusion, I believe I am correct for more than one reason, but I really don't care of someone disagrees or not, as petty much all methods have been succesful in building muscle tissue over the years. I just think this way is "better", although certainly more risky and for that reason I don't think it is ideal for everyone, particularly those who are older, have pre-existing muscle injuries, tendon issues, etc, etc, etc. Lastly, while faster velocities will increase muscle stress to a greater degree, I don't think there is a significant difference in muscle stress between training with an extremely fast rep speed compared to one in which the negative is still lowered fairly quickly, but with a little more control. However, I do believe the low negative stuff is significantly inferior when it comes to promoting growth. None of that 5 second shit for me.

Well the date is at the top....

We can agree to disagree.

Read it. Most of the artcile has zero relevance to what I am saying. At one point he states the following:

"...attempting to apply research suggesting that maximal isokinetic eccentric training at faster speeds (41) promotes greater muscle growth to a free weight training scenario lacks external validity from a scientific standpoint."

Aftert this statement, or anywhere else in the article for that matter, he provides zero explanation as to why this statement might be true...other than it lacks validity from from a scientific standpoint.

However, that's not true, as I have explained in my post. I provided an explanation as to "how" faster negatives result in greater muscle stress and potentially greater growth.

I would be interested to know when he wrote this artcle, as recent experiments involving negative resistance at varrying velocities have INDEED confirmed the fact that performing negatives at a faster velocity results in more muscle damage, generating a potentially greater growth response.

Now, I am no scientist, and although I believe you are correct when you say this man is intelligent, there are also several other intelligent men who disagree with him based on recent studies demonstrating what I've explained above and in the previous post. I am not sure who this man is, but the men I am referring to have their doctorates/PH's, have been heavily invested in exercise science AND research (not just its interpretation), are very well known and respected, have been a part of this community for years, and get paid good money to do what they do.

My opinion regarding the superiority of rapid negatives for stimulating growth was not reached by this recent reserach--it was confirmed by it. Prior to this research coming to light, I wrote a short artcile last year saying basically the same thing--applying the same common sense principles of accelerated velocity to explain why fast negatives supply added stress to the muscle--not less, and therefore are capable of stimulating greater growth. I had already made up my mind regarding the inferiority of slow negatives based on what I considred to be a rational explanation and anecdotal evidence.

Now, this is not to say that slow negatives cannot be effective for stimulating growth. Sure they can. Any additional stress placed on the muscle, which is not normlly encountered during a set, has the potential to stimulate extra growth. This includes isometric holds, forced reps, drop-sets, rest-pause, etc...anything, really. However, just because slow negatives might work, it does not mean they work better than fast ones.

My opinion stands based on the studies I have seen, the explanations I have recieved, and the highly knowledgable men who feel likewise. Still, there is one thing that no one cannot dispute, at least not with any credibility, and that is that doing slow negatives has never--not even in the tiniest way, ever appeared to be necessary for growing to monster size. In fact, as I stated in the prior post, there are significantly more large men who train with fast negatioves than the other way around. With that said, one must wonder why we aren't seeing a bunch of freak who claim that 5 second negatives gave them the best results. This reason for this is, quite frankly, because they DON'T.

Of course, there are many other factors related to the training experience which play a role in muscle growth, but all oher factors being equal, a man who performs his reps in an explosive, non-stop fashion will get results faster than the man who does 5 second negatives. I have experienced it in my own life and witnessed it a hundred times over. The slower one peforms the negative portion of their rep during their set, the more it sucks and the slower they will grow. Try oi for yourself and se. Do all your reps explosively and nons-top, with absolutely no slowing down inbetween reps until you hit failure....then give the oppsite technique a try, with every rep getting a 5 second negative and 2 second positive and tell me what you experience. I am beyond certain you will make the decision to abandaon the later and never return.

Ohh, one more point to make. In the artcile you linked, the author claimed that fast negatives would allow for slack in muscle tension, but in reality, it is the exact opposite. He claimed that pulling the bar down to generate momentum (for a faster negative) would reduce tension..and it would when done like that, but who in the hell "pulls down" a heavy barbell when doing the negatuve portion of the ep? No one I know. I am pretty sure the weight will lower plenty fast enough with gravity alone. Besides, we're not trying to kill or injure ourselves here. If anything, using the 5 second negative and 2 second positive tempo would result in not only more likely breaks in muscle tension, but a decreased tension level due to the slower velocities on both portions of the rep. By training in non-stop, explosive fashion until failure, the muscle NEVER gets even a moment to rest, but is continually hammered with both continuous and maximal levels of tension...and like I said before, the muscle accomplishes more work in a shorter period of time, which has a psituve impact on growth. This been known for decades. In the end, the ability to maintain continuous tension isn't really dependent on rep speed anyway, so I think this is a bit irrelevant.

In conclusion, I believe I am correct for more than one reason, but I really don't care of someone disagrees or not, as petty much all methods have been succesful in building muscle tissue over the years. I just think this way is "better", although certainly more risky and for that reason I don't think it is ideal for everyone, particularly those who are older, have pre-existing muscle injuries, tendon issues, etc, etc, etc. Lastly, while faster velocities will increase muscle stress to a greater degree, I don't think there is a significant difference in muscle stress between training with an extremely fast rep speed compared to one in which the negative is still lowered fairly quickly, but with a little more control. However, I do believe the low negative stuff is significantly inferior when it comes to promoting growth. None of that 5 second shit for me.

Basically it comes down to what works for each person once again. Slower negatives or having someone one push on the negatives wont take you from mediocre to pro but it could take you from average to above average.

Well the date is at the top....

We can agree to disagree.

No rebuttal to anything I said?

If not, no problem. I just have hard a time adopting someone's position when they are just guessing (he provides no evidence for his opinion other than a hunch), while the alternate position is accompanied by legitimate scientific evdience, but hey, if you wanna go with the guess....

:)

All in all though, the article you linked was very good. Even though very little of it applied to what I was talking about (only a few setences wre applicable), the rest of the article was filled with good information regarding the necessity of negatives in maximizing the growth stimulis, and many other good points. Smart guy.

If not, no problem. I just have hard a time adopting someone's position when they are just guessing (he provides no evidence for his opinion other than a hunch), while the alternate position is accompanied by legitimate scientific evdience, but hey, if you wanna go with the guess....

All in all though, the article you linked was very good. Even though very little of it applied to what I was talking about (only a few setences wre applicable), the rest of the article was filled with good information regarding the necessity of negatives in maximizing the growth stimulis, and many other good points. Smart guy.

There is no point is trying to rebut something that someone is steadfast in their beliefs.

I've followed Scott for years and what he has said has worked great for me, so I am firm in my belief, and you are firm in yours. What I say won't change your mind and what you say won't change mine. COULD my mind change, yes it very well can, but right now, I of the mindset I am.

What you say has it merits and what Scott says has its merits. If you have a method that works, run with it.

Scott is an exceptionally brilliant man. He talks, I listen.

There is no point is trying to rebut something that someone is steadfast in their beliefs.

I've followed Scott for years and what he has said has worked great for me, so I am firm in my belief, and you are firm in yours. What I say won't change your mind and what you say won't change mine. COULD my mind change, yes it very well can, but right now, I of the mindset I am.

What you say has it merits and what Scott says has its merits. If you have a method that works, run with it.

So for the sake of argument. Lets take this to the limit. You got a guy benching. He all but drops the bar to just short of his chest and then presses it back up? This is proven to be best for muscle growth?

Mike, wouldn't decelerating the weight and changing the direction of travel as fast as possible lead to injuries? When I look back, every injury I have had was from doing big weight and fast reps. This mite work on rats but I'm hard pressed to think it's going to last in the real world. What happened to time under tension? Is that out the window and I missed it?

CG

So you are aware Mike.

Dr. Scott Stevenson (homonunculus) has a Masters and a PhD in exercise physiology and holds a ACSM/NSCA certificate. Did I mention a PhD....

I, personally follow his advise on a multitude of things involving this sport.

So you are aware Mike.

Dr. Scott Stevenson (homonunculus) has a Masters and a PhD in exercise physiology and holds a ACSM/NSCA certificate. Did I mention a PhD....

He also cured someone of blindness through his acupuncture treatment. He mentioned it this week on gear'd up radio

i do not have the time to read through the articles fully, but i skimmed them and got the gist of it.

MA is stating something that makes sense (a more forceful detachment of myosin and actin creating more damage). Here ALSO lies a problem. You can argue all youd like to "use your head and be cautious", but how accurate can you possibly be with calculating a proper weight and speed. Lets look at a few things.....

1. Speed of eccentric. Who is to gauge the actual speed of the eccentric and where eccentric speed basically disengages the muscle. You cannot really generalize nor state "as fast as you can while under control and still keeping the muscle engaged". How is someone to actually define this? Too slow and you are not "forcefully lowering the weight" and too fast and you disengage the muscle. You cannot possibly define the sweet spot and "use your head and feel for it" just doesnt seem to cut it as a generalized answer.

2. This leads to this issue. Injury. Again...you cannot define a "safe weight to use". What you have to realize is that EVEN IF YOU WERE PERFECT WITH LOWERING THE WEIGHT it will pick up speed and you will need to reverse the inertia, adding weight to what you are already handling. Muscles are weakest in the fully stretched state and you want to ADD weight to this position in a violent manner? If you were to lower the weight you are using to make this an actual safe activity then you would be using much less than what is needed to overload the concentric part of the motion. Sacrifice concentric contractile force for the more important aggressive negative you say?

2b. In relation to injury you must also consider the increased stress on tendons, ligaments and muscles due to inertia. Picture this. I give you a string. You hold it apart nice and taught at arms length. You can ALMOST break it apart but not quite. What do you do? Well you move your hands closer and then snap it apart. Right? That is because the momentum increases the force on the string. This is what happens when you allow weight to pick up momentum then try to reverse the inertia.

3. Muscles tendons and ligaments have a certain amount of elasticity to them. Take your Achilles tendon. We have ALL done calf raises and we have all done "bouncing reps". You can move a hell of a lot more weight right? This is because your achilles tendon has a tramendous amount of potential energy it can store. Its ability to rebound and cause an elastic effect is tramendous. I would actually dare to say you could move DOUBLE the weight on a calf raise bounce than you could if the weight was controlled and squeezed up with all your might. Same thing could potentally happen here. You are reducing fibril contraction in exchange for tendon/muscle rebound effect.

My opinion of this is that MA's method makes absolute sense in that it can cause more damage. However, i feel that it is incredibly difficult to gauge and harness what an exact "fast negative" speed is, rendering this rather difficult or inefficient. It also, as stated in 2* above, would be a tradeoff for the concentric contraction in order to make this safer. Should you not go that route the risk of injury drastically increases. Lastly the rebound effect of tendons and muscles negate some of the fibril contraction. If anyone wants to jump on the newest idea be my guest, i will continue to grow and progress in the most effective and SAFE manner i can manage.

So you are aware Mike.

I will second and support this statement/idea and confidently state if Scott decides to come here and absolutely....decisively.....and completely destroy ANY of us on this board in MOST topics (ESPECIALLY THIS ONE) he will and could do so without much of a problem, myself included.......

Id respectfully state my points and possibly debate if i believed in it, but id never ever attempt to destroy anything he presented or his person (and certainly not attack his research presented, as he probably only chose not to extend what he wrote and present it and im confident he would support it beyond what most of us could comprehend)....thats asking to be publicly humiliated lol

Animal studies I've read with fast eccentric have been done with added load for the eccentric. A rat or frog has no clue what is expected so you need to force the eccentric to get the desired results. So sure the method Phil stated will build muscle. No secret there, but the secret lies in how long one can do this type of training. In the lab, if a tendon ruptures, just grab another frog. In the real world, if you double the eccentric time, its close to double the weight. A fast eccentric with the same weight is just dropping the weight and removing time under tension.

So you are aware Mike.

Why does that mean follow wihtout other thoughts? Those are cool but certainly doesn't mean smart beyond belief. There are many with those credentials that aren't smart there are mnay that are. (No hate on H just don't like following credentials. Doesn't prove a thing)

Observe in bold...I quoted the wrong quote. Easy deduction, nevertheless. I was making Mike aware that Scott is accredited with a PhD.

I do agree, with some with a higher education aren't necessarily the most brilliant.

Why does that mean follow wihtout other thoughts? Those are cool but certainly doesn't mean smart beyond belief. There are many with those credentials that aren't smart there are mnay that are. (No hate on H just don't like following credentials. Doesn't prove a thing)

i dont have a single minute spent in college :)

Well, I'll just toss this out here:

Here I think is the passage in question:

"In particular, attempting to apply research suggesting that maximal isokinetic eccentric training at faster speeds (41) promotes greater muscle growth to a free weight training scenario lacks external validity from a scientific standpoint. Doing so would likely result in eccentric unloading (due to the momentum when attempting to rapidly lower a barbell or dumbbell) or increased injury potential if a spotter were to apply downward force during high-speed eccentric contractions."

Isokinetic training involved maximal efforts at a pre-determined speed. In other works, the machine to which the trainees limb is attached will move at whatever speed (angular velocity) the machine is programmed for. You can do MAXIMAL eccentric efforts at -10 ˚ / second or -300˚ / second.

With free weights, living the same load, if you were to exert MAXIMAL effort during an eccentric - using a load you can and have been lifting and lowering during a set - the weight just goes back up. There is no maximal eccentric here.

I explain this in the 2nd sentence above in a different away: You try to move the eccentric a higher speeds and you'll likely be unloading the muscle. Drop at heavy weight on yourself or try to pull it downward and you're gonna have less loading on the muscles that contract eccentrically in lowering (and concentrically in lifting) the load.

(Hopefully, and TP4U gets at this, the idea increased injury risk with high speed eccentric that are loaded - to mimic an isokinetic scenario - is pretty clear.)

So, for those who understand this (the citation #41 refers to one such isokinetic study), the point about external validity is simply that the mode of training in an isokinetic training is categorically different than that of free weight training.

You can't study bananas and assume your results apply to all fruits.

---------

So, that ought to explain that paragraph. This is not to invalidate any study using an isokinetic device. The work GREAT for loading. I used one to train folks for my dissertation study. (The loading you can create with an isokinetic device, using e-stim to override neural inhibition during eccentrics is phenomenal.)

I don't think anyone's saying this, but I'm also not suggesting that someone use a super slow negative approach as a mainstay of his / her training to produce growth.

-----------

Summary: Isokinetic ≠ Free weight. :)

-S

This is pretty true, TBH. I've known some folks who earned their PhD's (in my and other disciplines) that made me cringe from time to time... :(

-S

So for the sake of argument. Lets take this to the limit. You got a guy benching. He all but drops the bar to just short of his chest and then presses it back up? This is proven to be best for muscle growth?

Mike, wouldn't decelerating the weight and changing the direction of travel as fast as possible lead to injuries? When I look back, every injury I have had was from doing big weight and fast reps. This mite work on rats but I'm hard pressed to think it's going to last in the real world. What happened to time under tension? Is that out the window and I missed it?

CG
This would put a much larger maximal negative load on the muscle and it makes complete sense that it would grow the muscle fastest. However you must weigh that against the greater increase in injuries.

Also i don't think most realize exactly how much momentum can multiply the force on the muscle, its more than you think. Fast reps would put a much higher maximum load on the muscle than slow controlled reps. Its simple physics and to me validates what mike is saying.

This is pretty true, TBH. I've known some folks who earned their PhD's (in my and other disciplines) that made me cringe from time to time... :(

-S

I've always wondered how they slip through. Just like I've met attending where I know more and I am not anything special. Or attendants who can't communicate. A profession based on communication and they can't do it :/

Anyways titles should not confer respect. You've earned respect IMO the correct way. Truly smart application and understanding of the things you study. The phd helps :)

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Nightprowler7
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws