mega-banner2
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anyone here have tried to create ur own supplement line?

Google&Pubmed

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I know they are probably a couple of guys on here that have, how was your experience?
Was it a long process?
Was it too easy or difficult to legally open up the business?
Was finding and trustworthy suppliers to deal with hard?
What was the most difficult part for you?

There is more than one way to start a supplement company. There can potentially be a lot of steps involved, but none of them are difficult to implement. In a nutshell, here is how you do it.

1.) Name your company: This speaks for itself.

2.) Figure out what you want to make and name your product(s): This may need to be re-evaluated once you start working with a manufacturer, as production costs will ultimately determine what you are able to do. You also have to evaluate the market in order to determine if your product is a viable seller (just because you want to make something, it doesn't mean other people will want to buy it). In short, your product must be cost-effective and meet market demand.

3.) Find a manufacturer: Once you do this, the manufacturer will be able to tell you what compounds are available to you and what their costs are.

4.) Find a label company: This step requires nothing more than a phone call. Once you've selected a company, you can go about getting labels made in one of two ways. You can either design the label yourself and have the company print them, or you can have the label company design and print them (there is an additional, hourly rate for label design). You can have as little or as much input in the design process as you like.

5.) Determine bottle size/type, label size, and whether or not you will be using capsules or tablets (capsules are almost always cheaper and equally effective): The manufacturer can help you with this process, as he/she will likely be thoroughly familiar with what size label you will need for which size bottle, etc. Once you have this information, replay it to the label company so they know what dimensions your labels need to be. Once labels are complete, the label company will ship them to the manufacturer and the manufacturer will put them on the bottles.

6.) Get a business license: This will cost you around 50 dollars and will take about one day to do.

7.) Get a merchant account: You can walk into any bank and they can walk you through this process. You will need good credit in order to get a merchant account. Some people choose to bypass a merchant account and open a business account through Paypal, which will allow you to accept all major credit cards, as well as accept payments through standard Paypal services. Keep in mind that Paypal will report your earnings to the IRS once you surpass 20K in total sales.

8.) Have a website and company logo designed: There is a multitude of experienced website designers out there who are more than willing to do this type of work for you.

9.) Set-up a Business Facebook page: You can either do this yourself, or have someone do it for you who is experienced with this.

10.) Set-up an encrypted e-mail account: This will allow you to safely and securely receive and store customer order information.

11.) Determine your ideal target demographic and distribution route(s): Are you going to focus on online sales and the wholesale (retail store) side of the business. If selling online, you need to figure out which you best advertising route is for the products you will be selling (i.e. sponsorships, etc).

12.) Determine how you want to ship your products: In most cases the manufacturer will ship your products for a low cost (shipping cost + small additional profit), or you can do it yourself via USPS, Fed-Ex, etc.

These steps are not necessarily in the proper order and there are a lot of other details you will need to concern yourself with as you go through the process of starting up your own supplement company. Of course, you will also need a decent sum of money already set aside in order to pay for raws, labels, bottles, website, bank fees, etc, etc, etc. Depending on what you are doing, you could probably start up a 1-2 product company for between 10-15k, but again, it all depends on what you are going to make, where and how you are going to advertise, etc.

Furthermore, not all compounds can be purchased in the same quantities and prices can vary dramatically. For example, making a BCAA product would be dirt cheap as basically every manufacturer already has BCAA's on hand and their cost is low, but if raws need to be ordered from a compounding pharmacy costs can shoot up quick because minimum orders are often required. So, if you get stuck having to buy a kilogram of a certain compound and it costs 16k per kg, that means you would need to pay 16k just for that one compound, even though you may only need a fraction of that amount in order to make a several hundred bottle run.

You usually won't get stuck having to make a purchase that big for a single compound, but trust me, costs can go up quick when dealing with multi-compound products in the upper-price range.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, Dante's advice last time someone asked this was: don't even think about doing it.

And I believe he knows what he's talking about.

If I recall correctly, Dante's advice last time someone asked this was: don't even think about doing it.

And I believe he knows what he's talking about.

Dante himself owns a supplement company and I severely doubt he regrets starting it, as he has done quite well for himself (as have many others). In making that statement (assuming he actually did), my guess is that he was simply trying to say that there are a lot of potential headaches involved...not that it can't be worthwhile.

Yes headaches, but can be worthwhile. For me, my thing is a niche product so not really competition...but if i did something like sell 5lb protein jugs, it comes down to buying power and marketing dollars... there is no way legally you are going to produce a similar product from companies like ON, TN, Dymatize, etc for the same price... they simply out buy you on everything... you buy 20k plastic containers, they buy 1 million and get them .10c less per then u.. u buy 1500lbs of protein at whatver, $8/lb and they buy 2 truckloads of 100k lbs and are paying dollars less per lb... they offer a final product for $40, and you will have to offer yours for $52.... either that, or when distributors want to take their cut u wind up working for pennies... and this is why ALOT of even the semi bigger name companies get caught cutting corners, nm the little guys doing things out of the basement that arent legal at all...

A big question is if you are going to run a legitimate ,regulated company working under fda rules... or just going under radar hoping u dont get caught

Last edited:
A friend of mine owns a very successful family owned supplement store and started his own line of supplements. I have no idea where he gets his raws or flavor system. Really don't know anything about any of the process he went through. I am curious though. His flavor system for his BCAA's and cinnamon roll isolate protein are unmatched by anything I've ever had.

Last edited:
Yes headaches, but can be worthwhile. For me, my thing is a niche product so not really competition...but if i did something like sell 5lb protein jugs, it comes down to buying power and marketing dollars... there is no way legally you are going to produce a similar product from companies like ON, TN, Dymatize, etc for the same price... they simply out buy you on everything... you buy 20k plastic containers, they buy 1 million and get them .10c less per then u.. u buy 1500lbs of protein at whatver, $8/lb and they buy 2 truckloads of 100k lbs and are paying dollars less per lb... they offer a final product for $40, and you will have to offer yours for $52.... either that, or when distributors want to take their cut u wind up working for pennies... and this is why ALOT of even the semi bigger name companies get caught cutting corners, nm the little guys doing things out of the basement that arent legal at all...

A big question is if you are going to run a legitimate ,regulated company working under fda rules... or just going under radar hoping u dont get caught

Yep. Getting into the protein powder industry is the absolute worst idea for someone who wants to start a "supplement" company. Like you said, smaller companies will never be able to compete with the larger companies...and the profit margins are lower on protein than just about anything else. You need to sell a shit-ton of the stuff just to make a decent amount of money. Now, if you are a company like TN, yes...you will make good money, but getting to that point, especially at this point in time, is damn near impossible.

Like you said, selling a niche products--that the market wants--is a MUCH easier way to make money. Of course, the easiest way is to simply run an unregulated/grey market/illegal business, but then you have all the potential risks that come along with that.

My buddy and I just created our own nutritional supplement line called CREE Nutrition. We will be sponsors here by Monday I believe. We sell all our products on Amazon.com
It took us a few month to have our private line of nutritional products create me in a USA FDA approved manufacturing facility. We have 11 supplements now and are adding 40 more in the next 3 months.
I'm real excited to transition from the peptide industry into nutritional supplements. The FDA has a hard-on for peptides. It's no longer safe to sell them.

I know they are probably a couple of guys on here that have, how was your experience?
Was it a long process?
Was it too easy or difficult to legally open up the business?
Was finding and trustworthy suppliers to deal with hard?
What was the most difficult part for you?

I'm doing it now. And wow what a world this business is. Insanity and LOTS of capital needed for start up. LOTS. Would love Dante to chime in to either encourage or better yet discourage you from doing it... as no one knows better than him....

I have a successful biz so I can also do my own supp line on the "side" and not worry if it makes money (it will - it's a niche brand) but it's hard for the average guy I'll be honest. It's $$$$$, time and connections.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Dble post sorry.

Manufacture facility

Someone in our family is a Chemist and works in the pharm field. He used to work for a company out of Pittsburg that makes protein and other supplements. He told me how they would sell their products to many companies and it was all the same stuff, just different label on the final package. So cheaper stuff and more expensive brands were really the same powder just different label. Buying in bulk is going to get you cheaper prices for sure. Some of it might have just been higher profit because of good marketing, not sure.

My buddy and I just created our own nutritional supplement line called CREE Nutrition. We will be sponsors here by Monday I believe. We sell all our products on Amazon.com
It took us a few month to have our private line of nutritional products create me in a USA FDA approved manufacturing facility. We have 11 supplements now and are adding 40 more in the next 3 months.
I'm real excited to transition from the peptide industry into nutritional supplements. The FDA has a hard-on for peptides. It's no longer safe to sell them.

Lol awesome! I've seen the brand on amazon. Good for you brotha!

Dante himself owns a supplement company and I severely doubt he regrets starting it, as he has done quite well for himself (as have many others). In making that statement (assuming he actually did), my guess is that he was simply trying to say that there are a lot of potential headaches involved...not that it can't be worthwhile.

My mistake.

I think what he actually said was "don't try it if you don't have 3 million to invest".

I'm quite sure he was talking about stuff that would compete with the major brands, not LBA's or stuff like that.

Lol awesome! I've seen the brand on amazon. Good for you brotha!

Cool! That's great that you saw CREE already. The key to Amazon is moving up their search engine with lots of 5 star reviews. It's going to be fun to build things. :D

Hey John- Just took a look at your supplement line over at Amazon. Is advertising the biggest hurdle? Do you need IFBB Pros to endorse? Man, seems like everybody and their mother are offering nutritional products these days. You, being a smart businessman, must have a bullet-proof business plan. Well, at least be confident in your plan!:headbang:

seems like a heavily saturated industry with massive amounts of capital required to even get started..

no doubt significant legal and regulatory hurdles that must be covered as well..

im sure Dante could chime in regarding the operating costs, and what kinda margins are the industry standard (they would no doubt be razor thin for the first several years... assuming you were actually able to create a profit).

definitely not the course I would recommend.

Cool! That's great that you saw CREE already. The key to Amazon is moving up their search engine with lots of 5 star reviews. It's going to be fun to build things. :D

if you send me a CREE wife beater ill wear it while lifting :cool:

has to be comfy tho

And some of your stuff is Prime! Love it lol

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
crankyfranky28
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws